Sheridans £50 Challenge

A while ago, I read that there was going to be a nighter at Sheridans where they were going to play records valued at under £50 (for a short period during the night). Is this still going ahead? If so got any info, cos I'm interested in venturing up North, but need to book time off work.

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I will be at the side of the stage with both manship/tim brown guides and a big bell!  :D

Shane

link

What a brilliant idea, shall I bring my whistle too? :lol:

Guest ShaneH

Think there will be one or two "experts" who don't need either guide on hand to decide  :D

link

thanks Chalky. i will do a good job for you. :lol:

Shane

Guest Jamie

I think I'd piss it. Don't think I've got a record worth more than £30 :D

Tremendous idea, I hope it gets plenty of support. I'm due back from the Algarve around that time. So I may come down and show off my tan. (Red Neck & Nose)

Jamie

This nite is definatley on all proceeds are being donated to charity,3 djs from each club and Rodger Banks makeing up the tenth.10pm till 8am dj spots will be drawn out of a hat as obviously,the longer the nite goes on the harder it gets.Team captains to administer sevre beatings to any members who f*** up.Should be a fun nite. :D

Edited by Soultown andy

This nite is definatley on all proceeds are being donated to charity,3 djs from each club and Rodger Banks makeing up the tenth.10pm till 8am dj spots will be drawn out of a hat as obviously,the longer the nite goes on the harder it gets.Team captains to administer sevre beatings to any members who f*** up.Should be a fun nite. :D

link

Oh please Andy, let me be a team captain, punishment is my strong point, I am very well versed in the use of cigar cutters for finger removal :lol:

This night should be a piece of piss. Not sure why it should get harder towards the end of the night..? There's infinitely more records that cost under £50 that are far superior than those which cost big bucks. And those collectors/DJ's own hundreds of records. Apparently.

It's a good idea. I'd like to think it'd blow a hole in the tired mega money stuff doing the rounds.

Can we take bets on a large proportion of the records played NOT staying at £50 (or under) within a few weeks of them being played?

Is this a basic admittance that most of the time we're not interested in playing/listening to records out unless they've got a hefty price tag? Have records under £50 become a novelty?

Guest Jamie

This night should be a piece of piss. Not sure why it should get harder towards the end of the night..? There's infinitely more records that cost under £50 that are far superior than those which cost big bucks. And those collectors/DJ's own hundreds of records. Apparently.

It's a good idea. I'd like to think it'd blow a hole in the tired mega money stuff doing the rounds.

Can we take bets on a large proportion of the records played NOT staying at £50 (or under) within a few weeks of them being played?

Is this a basic admittance that most of the time we're not interested in playing/listening to records out unless they've got a hefty price tag? Have records under £50 become a novelty?

link

Understand the validity of your point, Matt.

But I always look to the point that the DJ traditionally has to make his set up of stuff that isn't that easy to get hold of. Your average punter may have a ceiling of what he is willing to pay for a record and £50 seems a reasonable ceiling.

I don't think it's snobbery, and if you put it in simplistic terms, anyone can play a set of £50 records because they by defination are easier to obtain. To me, the DJ's playing the night will always look to buy records above that ceiling as it's part and parcel of their trade to find and play 'rarer' stuff, and potentially have less £50 records than say £100 records.

The point about finding it harder to play as the night goes on I think is two fold. One simply is duplication. The longer the night goes on, the higher the chance of tunes getting played more than once, which I don't think is in the rules! And second point I have already covered. Just not as many in their collection. Plus they also have to be good quality dancers. Not just any pap because it's worth less than £50.

People like you and me would possibly find it easier, because we don't have the $$ to go chasing the Walter Wilsons and Margaret Littles, we have to sift through the unknown cheapies to get our fix.

I ain't knocking that, I love it. But I don't see this as some abhorent display. I see it for what it is and these guys are in a different position to us.

Hope you get my jist Matt, it certainly wasn't a dig mate :ohmy:

Cheers,

Jamie :ohmy:

I only said harder as most dj i know carry a box of about 200 records,and fact is the quality of djs appearing at sherridans it wont be harder,so maybe i worded it badly.Seems that no matter what you do these days somebody will take a swipe at you,its a charity nite for f--ks sake.Does every comment have to be analised theres lots of great sounds for under 50 quid,but you try filling a venue every week by just playing them.

>Does every comment have to be analised theres lots of great sounds for under >50 quid,but you try filling a venue every week by just playing them.

Andy, it was an open question. It wasn't my intention to start a riot or indeed a personal dig, since I think your charitable intentions are to be applauded. I just feel that most of today's expensive records are long past their sell by date. And to be honest, I don't think anyone's even tried to put on a night playing cheaper, underplayed quality records.

The fact that so many people appear prepared to travel distances for the prospect of hearing cheaper and, by virtue, different records is testament to the case.

And I do fill a venue. Every week. Playing soul. 'Rare' and otherwise. And none of them are over 25.

'I don't think it's snobbery, and if you put it in simplistic terms, anyone can play a set of £50 records because they by defination are easier to obtain. To me, the DJ's playing the night will always look to buy records above that ceiling as it's part and parcel of their trade to find and play 'rarer' stuff, and potentially have less £50 records than say £100 records.'

By your reasoning Jamie, any millionaire (there's plenty of them out there, thankfully some have better taste than others) can then dominate the scene because he/she can afford the records other punters cannot reach. Irrespective of whether they actually like the record. Is that the kind of scene we want to promote? I have more respect for someone who's saved and suffered their entire life for a copy of Gene Toones and it be the only record they own. Nothing I can change I appreciate, just my personal view.

I don't agree with your comment on easier to obtain though. We've all seen umpteen copies of a lot of the big stuff pop up, either on Manship, Ebay or elsewhere. Truthfully, the only record I've ever seen one copy of, for sale, in the last 15 years is Agadoo by Black Lace.

I'm frequently listening to new records on tapes/CD's that sound like they ought to be a million dollars and only cost a couple of quid. As far as I'm concerned, the skill is being able to play them so seamlessly that you can't tell which are which....

Now where's mi piggy bank I want a copy of The Poets..... 1p, 3p, 8p....

Guest Jamie

By your reasoning Jamie, any millionaire (there's plenty of them out there, thankfully some have better taste than others) can then dominate the scene because he/she can afford the records other punters cannot reach. Irrespective of whether they actually like the record. Is that the kind of scene we want to promote? I have more respect for someone who's saved and suffered their entire life for a copy of Gene Toones and it be the only record they own. Nothing I can change I appreciate, just my personal view.

I don't agree with your comment on easier to obtain though. We've all seen umpteen copies of a lot of the big stuff pop up, either on Manship, Ebay or elsewhere. Truthfully, the only record I've ever seen one copy of, for sale, in the last 15 years is Agadoo by Black Lace.

I'm frequently listening to new records on tapes/CD's that sound like they ought to be a million dollars and only cost a couple of quid. As far as I'm concerned, the skill is being able to play them so seamlessly that you can't tell which are which....

Now where's mi piggy bank I want a copy of The Poets..... 1p, 3p, 8p....

link

Like I said, I understood your stance :yes:

And the points you raised above I nodded in agreement, except the Black Lace part. I had a guy pull a copy for me on ebay the other week - complete with Picture Sleeve :ohmy: .

That's 2 copies - so how many more out there?

And more importantly, who's gonna play it on the night :rolleyes:

Jamie :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Where these posts been hiding? Sorry to be late adding my twopenneth. Andy I'm not having a swipe, you know me I take it serious LOL

They are cheap records but are they readily available as cheapies being one question. So I assume if you bought them a while ago rather than the week before they are still supposed to be under £50 in the books.

Does that mean you'll (Karen) be administering punishments if they play records in the books at £20 but starting to go silly prices already. Like Willie Hightower as been mentioned recently.

Must try and get there, can see the rush to get em cheap out the boxes there before as someone says 'they don't stay that price for long' grrr.

gaye

Where these posts been hiding?  Sorry to be late adding my twopenneth. Andy I'm not having a swipe, you know me I take it serious LOL

They are cheap records but are they readily available as cheapies being one question. So I assume if you bought them a while ago rather than the week before they are still supposed to be under £50 in the books.

Does that mean you'll (Karen) be administering punishments if they play records in the books at £20 but starting to go silly prices already. Like Willie Hightower as been mentioned recently.

Must try and get there, can see the rush to get em cheap out the boxes there before as someone says 'they don't stay that price for long' grrr.

gaye

link

It's plain and simple, what the title says...the records will have to have a current (on the night) value of £50 or under :rolleyes:

It's plain and simple, what the title says...the records will have to have a current (on the night) value  of £50 or under  :rolleyes:

link

So if somebody offers you £55 for a record "on the night" does that then mean "current value" has risen so you can't play it then Chalkmeister :thumbsup::) ....

Seriously.... should be a goodie this one laugh.gif ....

Edited by vaultofsouler

I'll deffo be there Andy. And I didn't mean £25 tunes. I meant age.

link

Well that's me out if it's under 25 years of age(and 90% of all SSers), will have to attend that under 15 (quid) night in my front room again.

QOF

XXX

Edited by chrissieo

This is going to be a very interesting night to say the least, now from what i understad i take it that the records have to be currently valued at £50.00 or under rather than what we paid for them way back so playing Bobby Kline for example as i paid £18.00 for it back in the early 80's will not count or be within the rules....lol

On a more serious note i have many records under £50.00 in my collection and i embrace the chance whenever possible to play these when i can, it's refreshing and a challenge to dig a little deeper and i'm sure this night will be a big hit, brilliant idea and i'm really looking forward to this one, how refreshing to stay away from the established big ticket items and or over played tunes, it's gonna be a blast.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Guest CapitolSC

This is a date in my dairy and Lifeline in June :rolleyes: for sure, can't make next week due to work, which is a great shame :thumbsup: , as gagging to go!!!

I have always said to mates this would be a good idea, but no one followed up.

There are too many records under £50, which are of quality and as long as the quality ones are played and semi-known's too.

S :)