Dear Santa - For Xmas I Would Like

Guest Rowly

Ok - I tend to spend all my spare ££'s on vinyl goodies and never ever by myself any books, cd's or dvd's etc - I wait till xmas (& birthday) and send out my folks an Amazon "wish list" of goodies I'd quite like to have...

So what "musts" have come out over the past year or so that I might have missed / overlooked / forgotten about & that I should stick on the list - anyone got any recommendations please?

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ok - I tend to spend all my spare ££'s on vinyl goodies and never ever by myself any books, cd's or dvd's etc - I wait till xmas (& birthday) and send out my folks an Amazon "wish list" of goodies I'd quite like to have...

So what "musts" have come out over the past year or so that I might have missed / overlooked / forgotten about & that I should stick on the list - anyone got any recommendations please?

hi there, what genre do you favour , 6t's, 7t's, Motown, funk, crossover etc etc, it will give us chance of recommending the right stuff.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

U could do a lot worse than get a copy of Little Reg's book - haven't read it meself yet but it's eagerly awaited

Social source share

hi there, what genre do you favour , 6t's, 7t's, Motown, funk, crossover etc etc, it will give us chance of recommending the right stuff.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Uptempo 6t's (particularly later 6t's with that funkier, harder edge if you know what i mean...?! ) Motown, Southern Soul, Funk, Gritty R&B....

(the sort of stuff playing on my Myspace will give you an idea - cheers! :rolleyes: )

Social source share

Hi Alan

Uptempo 6t's (particularly later 6t's with that funkier, harder edge if you know what i mean...?! ) Motown, Southern Soul, Funk, Gritty R&B....

(the sort of stuff playing on my Myspace will give you an idea - cheers! :rolleyes: )

I can recommend King Northern Soul on Kent, I reckon that will fall in line with your tastes, also what about Doris Duke "I'm a loser" the Swammp Dogg sessions excellent Southern Soul again on Kent.

What about Goldmine's Northern Soul Southern Style, some brilliant stuff on there and finally there's a great cd callled Shreveport Southern Soul The Murco Story.

Bookwise there a loads of great books available, one's which may be of interest to you are Sweet Soul Music, Rhythm and blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom written by Peter Guralnick who has written other good books related to our music.

Hope this helps, get your list sent to Father Christmas before it's too late.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I can recommend King Northern Soul on Kent, I reckon that will fall in line with your tastes, also what about Doris Duke "I'm a loser" the Swammp Dogg sessions excellent Southern Soul again on Kent.

What about Goldmine's Northern Soul Southern Style, some brilliant stuff on there and finally there's a great cd callled Shreveport Southern Soul The Murco Story.

Bookwise there a loads of great books available, one's which may be of interest to you are Sweet Soul Music, Rhythm and blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom written by Peter Guralnick who has written other good books related to our music.

Hope this helps, get your list sent to Father Christmas before it's too late.

Regards

Alan

Cheers Alan -

Got the King Northern Vol.2 as it goes which has got some belters on - but not Vol.1 funnily enough! I'll check out the others you mentioned....

Got the Peter Guralnick book last Xmas actually.... highly enjoyable read!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert