Grey And Hanks

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

I bought the album You Fooled Me by these chaps last week. I can's stop playing the track "Never Let you down". It's utter perfection!

Anyone ever play this in a Modern room? If not, why not?

I would put up a soundclip but I've not got the right technology to transfer vinyl on to my p.c.

I'm a bit of a technophobe. :thumbsup:

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I bought the album You Fooled Me by these chaps last week. I can's stop playing the track "Never Let you down". It's utter perfection!

I would put up a soundclip but I've not got the right technology to transfer vinyl on to my p.c.

Good shout!

Stupidly a ten bob album for years (Yanks, Manchester special), I'm sure Dave Hawkins used to spin this at Bradford!?

Social source share

Guest mel brat

This was another of those ubiquitous disco albums that got spins as a hot new release, then was quietly forgotten. Not sure if it would go in the modern rooms, but they have nice voices. "Dancin'" got the most spins at the time I think. Fabulous rhythm (I vividly remember DJ Graham Warr playing it alongside Lonnie Liston Smith's "Space Princess" etc. C.Jan 1979) Both "You Fooled Me" and "Dancin'" got UK 12" releases, as did the 1st album (not sure about the second one)

"Now I'm Fine" got plays at the Monday Jazz-Funk nights at the Rum Runner in Birmingham and remains one of my own favourites. Great rhythm and vocals. I was playing it just the other day coincidently! Good examples of Soulful disco. (yes, there is such a thing!)

Social source share

I do a Monday morning show on Subcity radio and had been thinking of taking in a box of the many twelves I have sitting about shelves. So I haulwed out a random mix of funk, disco and pop. #3 on the list was

Muddy Waters Mannish Boy

Sylvester Dance (Disco Heat)

Gray and Hanks Dancin'

France Joli Come to me

If you want to check the rest opf the list and maybe listen to the show click here

https://www.subcity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6089

Social source share

Fantastic track!

Godin used to rave over it and quite rightly so, as did Richard. It did get plays on the modern scene. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Grey & Hanks worked together as songwriters over a long period of time, penning great songs for the likes of Jerry Butler, LTD and Millie Jackson.

As a performing/recording duo they were only active for a couple of years releasing two albums as Grey & Hanks. Both LPs really nice methinks. There were a couple of Top 10 R&B hits on their first album. They recorded a mix of disco/boogie and soul, nice vocals throughout. I bought these albums at a time when they were cheap as chips, and I guess they are still quite cheap, but these days I don´t see them as often as I used to.

Best,

Melismo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert