Soul...what A Feeling

Simsy

Ah that's better, just put one out and after confirming this Friday afternoon off and (the all important Monday morning), I'm now officially in build up mode for the 100 Club Allnighter on Saturday.

This can take many forms and I'd be interested to know how people (if they do) prepare or build up to an all night sesh. Futile kip? Few beers? Owt else? I know some step about to a few sounds in the front room (curtains closed I guess). "Every f**ker practises" Keb Darge 2004. Just the general excitement of knowing your going to be listening to fantastic sounds through big old speakers thumping it out. Dancin, few drinks, good company. A look at the records, chats with pals etc.

We have weird geographical references on the journey in, "went for a p*ss in there once". Yes the whole weekend is earmarked for soul and it never lets you down. Got mates that love a bit of a whinge about the next day and yeah I don't feel right til about Wednesday. But truth is it's worth it. Invariably the build up, the night, followed by the fall out, are always justified by the halcyon high points of the night itself imo. Three til about five thirty is the best of it when everything is fluid.

Anyway, takeaway tonight, probably a semi late one. Kids, so lay in nil. But when they go out I'll be napping in the afternoon. Then dinner (eat well) shower, clean your shoes and hope they don't fall to bits on the night as they've been to a hundred nighters, but they are THE shoes so, spare brogues in the car, T shirt etc. Even the sight of the talc from the last one in the grooves of the brogues whilst cleaning them can bring a smile to the face. Then it's pick up yer mate, gas up the car, Red Bull, fags, gum etc. Then off down the motorway tut Smoke, sounds on and weird rituals on route!

Now I'm either top weirdo, or are there others that have shared a similar experience? Maybe many many times? :ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

When I lived in London, in the '90's, my flatmate Ed and I would don G.I. helmets and watch "Tour of Duty" before heading off to the 100 club! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Saturday afternoon, I go to bed for a few hours, by which time, my Mrs has a decent tea ready, curry or chilli, plenty of rice etc, after tea iron the a couple of extra shirts (never let a woman do your ironing :ohmy: ) , polish the brogues (yellow duster, drop of water), pack the bag, plenty of lucozade/red bull, then just wait till its to go.....whooooo :thumbsup:

BUUUUUUT......what are you like when you get home at 8 OClock Sunday morning, :yes::rolleyes::D:yes:

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Saturday afternoon, I go to bed for a few hours, by which time, my Mrs has a decent tea ready, curry or chilli, plenty of rice etc, after tea iron the  a couple of extra shirts (never let a woman do your ironing :ohmy: ) , polish the brogues (yellow duster, drop of water),  pack the bag, plenty of lucozade/red bull, then just wait till its to go.....whooooo :thumbsup:

BUUUUUUT......what are you like when you get home at 8 OClock Sunday morning, :yes:   :rolleyes:   :D   :yes:

link

Sunday after a nighter is all a bit inside a bubble type feeling. Don't leave the house, dressing gown, beard etc. You?

Social source share

Sunday after a nighter is all a bit inside a bubble type feeling.  Don't leave the house, dressing gown, beard etc. You?

link

Sunday morning, can't even try to sleep, I just curl up in front of the fire on the counch and flick through the cable channels, I get that funny buzzing in my head because everything is so quiet. :ohmy: I seem to recover in the afternoon but am usually in bed by 9pm. :thumbsup: recovered by Wednesday and ready to go again by Friday :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Come on now, you must buff yer shoes surely??!

link

Ah now you're talking. Dancing shoes, very important. I've worn the same pair of Doc Martin shoes to nighters and soul nights for the last ten years. The leather is cracked and split on top, the famous Docs tread is now smooth as a baby's behind, they are polished so much they are practically patent leather.

I am really fearing the day when they give up the chase, and they'll probably fall apart right there on the dancefloor (at least that's how i want them to go) really pushing it to something very fast, the Vondells maybe or Nomads - somethins bad.

I still don't know how i'll replace them. I should have broken in a new pair ready for the big day when they will take over, but i haven't. Nothing yet comes close, and i'm even sure if i can buy Doc martin shoes anymore. Years ago it was easier, Bostons, Diamonds, Pod, even Nature Treks and Polyveldts. You knew where you were. But what is the shoe of choice of the male dancer these days. I'm not sure i could go for a smooth leather sole from day one but it is probably the only option. Trainers are a total nono and in my opinion are as bad as bringing a pint onto the dance floor.

So if you see me limped off the floor one of these days, or get hit by flying leather, you'll know their time as come... :rolleyes: and the search has begun.

Matt

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

Guest rachel

(never let a woman do your ironing :ohmy: )

What a nice man.. but you forgot to add that you should do your woman's ironing at the same time... :D:thumbsup:

Been thinking about this topic but not really got a definitive pre-nighter routine, just try to nap during Saturday, eat bits and pieces through the day to build up energy (find big meals make me sleepy and bounce about in my stomach when dancing!!)... one thing that has become a habit is emptying all the week's rubbish (bus tickets etc) out of the bag I carry about with me all the time, and replacing it with nighter/travelling stuff - sure sign it's the weekend :yes: Chill out on train/car on the way there with some quiet music on then it's ready to go....

BUUUUUUT......what are you like when you get home at 8 OClock Sunday morning, :D   :rolleyes:   :(   :(

link

Home at 8am on a Sunday...?? if only :yes:

Doze before/during travelling home then usually OK for the afternoon (earliest been home from a nighter 12 I think), early night then back to work 8.30 Monday morning... limping a bit if I've been dancing a lot, but I just tell them it's the sign of a good weekend :D

Social source share

Ah now you're talking. Dancing shoes, very important. I've worn the same pair of Doc Martin shoes to nighters and soul nights for the last ten years. The leather is cracked and split on top, the famous Docs tread is now smooth as a baby's behind, they are polished so much they are practically patent leather.

I am really fearing the day when they give up the chase, and they'll probably fall apart right there on the dancefloor (at least that's how i want them to go) really pushing it to something very fast, the Vondells maybe or Nomads - somethins bad.

I still don't know how i'll replace them. I should have broken in a new pair ready for the big day when they will take over, but i haven't. Nothing yet comes close, and i'm even sure if i can buy Doc martin shoes anymore. Years ago it was easier, Bostons, Diamonds, Pod, even Nature Treks and Polyveldts. You knew where you were. But what is the shoe of choice of the male dancer these days. I'm not sure i could go for a smooth leather sole from day one but it is probably the only option. Trainers are a total nono and in my opinion are as bad as bringing a pint onto the dance floor.

So if you see me limped off the floor one of these days, or get hit by flying leather, you'll know their time as come...  :thumbsup:   and the search has begun.

Matt

link

Not wrong Matt. Tried a different pair of shoes at last nighter. All wrong, they hadn't been danced in before and whilst they were/are quite comfortable, I found to my horror that the left one was slipping off the heel on occasion. Now you can't have that! Had to go to the car and get the 'first team' brogues :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yeah ringing in the ears - tinitus.  Ever had dreams while you're awake?  Thats weird, seeing flashes out the corner of your eye etc.  That's a rare occurance, has to be said. :rolleyes:

link

yes!!!!!! deffo had dreams whilst awake, glad somebody else has them as well, recently saw squirrells on motorbikes aftrer one allnighter

Social source share

When I lived in London, in the '90's, my flatmate Ed and I would don G.I. helmets and watch "Tour of Duty" before heading off to the 100 club! :thumbsup:   :ohmy:

link

Now you know why we never came round?!. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Ah that's better, just put one out and after confirming this Friday afternoon off and (the all important Monday morning), I'm now officially in build up mode for the 100 Club Allnighter on Saturday.

This can take many forms and I'd be interested to know how people (if they do) prepare or build up to an all night sesh.  Futile kip?  Few beers? Owt else?  I know some step about to a few sounds in the front room (curtains closed I guess). "Every f**ker practises" Keb Darge 2004. Just the general excitement of knowing your going to be listening to fantastic sounds through big old speakers thumping it out. Dancin, few drinks, good company.  A look at the records, chats with pals etc.

We have weird geographical references on the journey in, "went for a p*ss in there once".  Yes the whole weekend is earmarked for soul and it never lets you down.  Got mates that love a bit of a whinge about the next day and yeah I don't feel right til about Wednesday.  But truth is it's worth it.  Invariably the build up, the night, followed by the fall out, are always justified by the halcyon high points of the night itself imo.  Three til about five thirty is the best of it when everything is fluid.

Anyway, takeaway tonight, probably a semi late one.  Kids, so lay in nil.  But when they go out I'll be napping in the afternoon.  Then dinner (eat well) shower, clean your shoes and hope they don't fall to bits on the night as they've been to a hundred nighters, but they are THE shoes so, spare brogues in the car, T shirt etc. Even the sight of the talc from the last one in the grooves of the brogues whilst cleaning them can bring a smile to the face.  Then it's pick up yer mate, gas up the car, Red Bull, fags, gum etc.  Then off down the motorway tut Smoke, sounds on and weird rituals on route!

Now I'm either top weirdo, or are there others that have shared a similar experience?  Maybe many many times?  :rolleyes:

link

and how goods it?

Social source share

Sunday morning, can't even try to sleep, I just  curl up in front of the fire on the counch and flick through the cable channels, I get that funny buzzing in my head because everything is so quiet. :wicked: I seem to recover in the afternoon but am usually in bed by 9pm.  :wicked:   recovered by Wednesday and ready to go again by Friday :thumbsup:

link

Good lad Pete wicked.gif

Social source share

:wicked: When you come to York to stay, you WILL wear the helmet!!! :wicked:   wicked.gif

link

Deffo,if its big-enough,remember lenny(RIP)going to stafford with a old army tin hat with bomber brigade painted in big letters on the front,and if that was not enough?,wearing flippers,what a time we had getin`there it was the time when most souls used to jump the trains everywhere! :wicked: ho and this was no fancy dress compitition,funny watching P Lawson(RIP) and Lenny chase each other round stafford,dam funny what? :thumbsup: .Ken

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Matt

link

The best shoes for dancing that i know of that are easy to get hold of are the

Base(london) shoe with the leather sole

If you do decide to walk the leather sole route

dont forget

Brand new leather soled footwear should never be worn in wet weather conditions, It is important to wear them on a dry day to allow a build up of grit on the soles, doing this will help protect the leather and extend the life of the footwear

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

If you do decide to walk the leather sole route

dont forget

Brand new leather soled footwear should never be worn in wet weather conditions ...

link

Here's a tip. Have a pair of bespoke shoes made in tan leather. Wear them for the first time to the 100 Club (prior to talc ban). Get a few people to pour beer on them, have a dance or two mix the beer with talc.

Hey presto! A pair of ridiculously expensive shoes that will last you forever.(Because they're absolutely ruined and you'll stick em in the bottom of your wardrobe convinced you can never part with them after forking out so much dosh)

You'd have to be a total mongo to do that wouldn't you? biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!