Cats Whiskers In Leeds?

Hi Steve

Went to a few there, long drive from Gloucester in them days. If I'm not mistaken had a few different promoters, went to one mid 70's ish run by John Kojac Harvey-Inter-City Soul Club, with one Ian 'Frank' Dewhurst on the wheels of steel.

Also wasn't the venue for the 'Good Old Days' music hall thing next door, or did I just imagine that!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Way,way out there Dave--were you confused or something---The good old days (with Manuel,s dad as compere was filmed at the City Varieties in Leeds City Centre--and th Cats All Dayers in MEANWOOD (about 4 or 5 miles away) N.B it,s noe J.T. Smiths supermarket!!

Regards

Tony Coleby

Hi Steve

Went to a few there, long drive from Gloucester in them days. If I'm not mistaken had a few different promoters, went to one mid 70's ish run by John Kojac Harvey-Inter-City Soul Club, with one Ian 'Frank' Dewhurst on the wheels of steel.

Also wasn't the venue for the 'Good Old Days' music hall thing next door, or did I just imagine that!!!!!!!

Social source share

Way,way out there Dave--were you confused or something---The good old days (with Manuel,s dad as compere was filmed at the City Varieties in Leeds City Centre--and th Cats All Dayers in MEANWOOD (about 4 or 5 miles away) N.B it,s noe J.T. Smiths supermarket!!

Regards

Tony Coleby

Oh well must have been something I eat :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yep, deejayed there a few times. The venue was famous for it's record decks being suspended from the ceiling on 4 wires!

I also remember writing-off one of my cars on the way back from Cleethorpes but still making it to the Cat's Whiskers for a set on a Sunday afternoon - how's that for commitment!

Am I going nuts or did I once DJ there with Jr Walker & The All-Stars? I seem to remember but can't be absolutely sure that was the venue.....

I think there were two promoters at different times - John 'Kojak' Harvey (interesting bloke - I never knew where he came from or whether he was a big Northern fan or not) and Terry ? (forgotten his name but he promoted a lot of gigs in the early 70's).

But Meanwood? Phew. Not a good place to hand around on a dark night LOL.....

Ian D

Social source share

I dj'd there in there in 1975 with Richard Searling or all people..

Paul,i remember that night we went up there in a mini bus from P/Boro,i allways thought that "Colin Curtis" was on that night as well?,whenever i hear "Night of the wolf" and "So is the sun" it reminds me of the "Cats Whiskers" night,happy memories thumbsup.gif

post-2848-1196005058_thumb.jpg

Dave f.............

Social source share

Paul,i remember that night we went up there in a mini bus from P/Boro,i allways thought that "Colin Curtis" was on that night as well?,whenever i hear "Night of the wolf" and "So is the sun" it reminds me of the "Cats Whiskers" night,happy memories thumbsup.gif

post-2848-1196005058_thumb.jpg

Dave f.............

FLIKKIN HELL, where ya pull that one from...lol...

Dave Mindham drove the bus ...

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

I went to a few all-dayers in the 70's........

went with pete Lawson plus a few of Ormskirks finest........think Tony Cox and Jeff Gordon plus maybe our kid but never ever attended a all-nighter or all-dayer when our kid was going.

As I was only 13 at the time well he was with the older Wheel/Torch puntera etc.

But remember pete Lawson and I think KENO journeyed up later on as well. :unsure:

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

Guest bdesoul

Remenber going to one alldayer in 1975 with a couple of car loads of Newbury lads after a Wigan allnighter. Jacko (Dave Merrick, (sadly no longer with us), Roland Pointer, Neil Towel, Sid Clark, Dave Wise and the like. Remember trying a spin on the raised dance floor and falling off the edge. demolished one of the tables with the lamps on. Totally nackered and out of it by then. Oh those were the days when on a friday night it was "Bye Mum see you sometime on Sunday" (If you were lucky).

Great times and great mates,

KTF Brian De-Honri

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I dj'd there in there in 1975 with Richard Searling or all people..

I DJ,d with you that night,John Vincent came as an onlooker.Big spins that night,Bill Brandon and Lorraine Johnson,Dave Mitchell,Tamiko Jones and many others

Social source share

Hi Steve

Heheh! Yes you did imagine that Dave. The venue for 'The good old days' was held in the centre of Leeds at a theatre called 'The City varieties' and 'The Cats Whiskers' was some 6 miles away in the Meanwood area of Leeds.

Thanks for the reply

Steve

Social source share

Yep, deejayed there a few times. The venue was famous for it's record decks being suspended from the ceiling on 4 wires!

I also remember writing-off one of my cars on the way back from Cleethorpes but still making it to the Cat's Whiskers for a set on a Sunday afternoon - how's that for commitment!

Am I going nuts or did I once DJ there with Jr Walker & The All-Stars? I seem to remember but can't be absolutely sure that was the venue.....

I think there were two promoters at different times - John 'Kojak' Harvey (interesting bloke - I never knew where he came from or whether he was a big Northern fan or not) and Terry ? (forgotten his name but he promoted a lot of gigs in the early 70's). [/color]But Meanwood? Phew. Not a good place to hand around on a dark night LOL.....

Ian D

The " Terry " in question was Terry Sampson , who promoted the CW all - nighters as part of his Northern Soul Scene activities during that time .......

The CW was a great venue in its' time , but as you state , Meanwood - no disrespect to those who hail from that suberb of Leeds , or live there - was not a place for the faint - hearted after dark descended .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Andy Newbold

OMG! The Central @ Leeds. I still go harping on about that place. Some of us peeps from ULL (or Hull if your posh) would drop by with regularity prior to heading further west to Wigan. I my humble opinion the Central was one of the best local clubs on the go in the 70's

Here's to The Central and all who frequented said venue :wave:

Social source share

OMG! The Central @ Leeds. I still go harping on about that place. Some of us peeps from ULL (or Hull if your posh) would drop by with regularity prior to heading further west to Wigan. I my humble opinion the Central was one of the best local clubs on the go in the 70's

Here's to The Central and all who frequented said venue :lol:

yes, I spent most of my weekends at the Central, and then ended up being the resident DJ there. it was the longest running soul club in the country at the time, being open for some 15 years or so. fantastic atmosphere and quality dance floor. Massive respect to the late Len Cave and his amazing wife, who owned the club and let us cause havok every week, those people were what the scene was all about, friendly, dedicated and full of heart.
Social source share

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2007 at 19:23, Ian Dewhirst said:

I think there were two promoters at different times - John 'Kojak' Harvey (interesting bloke - I never knew where he came from or whether he was a big Northern fan or not) and Terry ? (forgotten his name but he promoted a lot of gigs in the early 70's).

But Meanwood? Phew. Not a good place to hand around on a dark night LOL.....

Ian D

was there the day jnr walker was on (let a few of  us on stage with him blowing away with some little toy sax we got at a toy shop)    think one of your big tunes was moments -I go the need at the time 

Edited by algsoul
Social source share

3 hours ago, algsoul said:

was there the day jnr walker was on (let a few of  us on stage with him blowing away with some little toy sax we got at a toy shop)    think one of your big tunes was moments -I go the need at the time 

Yes, he grabbed hold of one of the Toy Sax's and tried to get a tune out of it, but gave up saying "Lord, I can't get no tune out of that thing" 🙂

Social source share

On 06/09/2018 at 21:52, algsoul said:

Hi mate it was Terry Sampson we spent  a lot of time together doing gigs with Graham Slater as well Terry had a few things running

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

I remember the Cats Whiskers in Meanwood. I went to the Alldayers there around 1976. It was a about 20 Minuets from Leeds Centre by Bus and Loads of us from Bradford used to go. Great Music and many tracks where what were also been played at Wigan. I remember Lesley Uggams - Don't You Even Care been played. I also remember either side of the Stage was a Cage for Go-Go-Dancers that my mate used to like to Dance in! Not Go-Go Dance I might add! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!