Soul Movies

Dave West

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi, I have some soul movies, can anyone recommend more.

The Five Heartbeats

Ray

Lady sings the Blues

Coast to Coast

Dreamgirls

Temptations

Cheers, Westy

got the five heartbeats (vhs poor)

& coast to coast

seen ray

not seen the rest are they any good?? mellow.gif

chris :wicked:

Edited by ChrisOD1964
Social source share

Dreamgirls is about a female group very much Supremes story

Lady sings the blues, Havent watched it in ages about Billie Holiday starring Diana Ross

Temptations is a film about the temptations using actors, its over 3 hours long and you can get it for about a fiver, worth every penny

Clips available on youtube

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

Saw a film based on the Dells about 10 years ago, can't remember what it was called though.

The Five heartbeats.

For me this is the best of all the soul films, got everything. make you laugh, make you vry, make you sing, brilliant!

Very similar to the Temps film, but better.

Social source share

The Five heartbeats.

For me this is the best of all the soul films, got everything. make you laugh, make you vry, make you sing, brilliant!

Very similar to the Temps film, but better.

I thought the Five Heartbeats was the Temps film, what was that called then?

Social source share

5 Heartbeats IS based on The Dells - check the credits and they also do a track on the album too.

Brill film which covers just about everything soul from civil rights to brotherly love to dodgy deals with managers etc etc - its got the lot and the soundtrack is spot on as well.

Social source share

5 Heartbeats IS based on The Dells - check the credits and they also do a track on the album too.

So which member of the Dells left the group, died of drugs etc. The Dells were consultants on the film in that writer , producer and director Robert Townsend accompanied them on tour. I am sure they gave him lots of stories which he included in the film. Like the story when Jackie Wilson was hung out of a window.

The Five Heartbeats was mostly an exaggerated film based on The Temptations but given that most of them were alive when it was filmed it could not mention the group. The Temptations Movie was based on the memoirs of sole surviving original member Otis Williams so it would have been difficult to sue.

The ells were formed in the early 50s in Harvey, Illinois by high school friends Marvin Junior, Charles Barksdale, Johnny Funches, Verne Allison, and Michael McGill. In 1961, a frustrated Funches left the group and was replaced by falsetto singer Johnny Carter.

the current line up is still Marvin Junior (lead baritone), John Carter (lead tenor), Charles Barksdale (bass), Michael McGill (baritone) and Verne Allison (second tenor) .that's what over 45 years continuity and their nearest competitors in the longevity state with a stable line up were the Four Tops.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

The Commitments... shades.gif ....Excellent brother Rabbit! cool.gif:thumbup:

God I can't stand that film! When that film came out in Ireland the amount of people that thought the Committments were Soul music was unreal. People would ask "what kind of music are you into?" "Soul" I would respond. The you would get one of 2 comments: "God I love the Committments as well" or "Not my thing really, you must love the committments?" Then you would try and tell them something about Soul and they wouldn't want to know.

Some folk new what Soul music was up in Dublin and there were a few other Soulies scattered about the rest of the country but generally the masses hadn't a clue. I recall people saying they preferred the Committments to the original artists, I almost wanted to hit them.

Anyhow back to Soul films, that BLUE JUICE with Sean Pertwee and Catherine Zeta Jones from the 90's has Ion/Keb Darge and a few other Soulsters dancing about at a Soul nighter in the west country.

Social source share

took my daughter to see hairspray..thought i was gonna be bored shitless..but it was alright ...some good tunes and funny but had a serious message too about black music being heard for the first time on tv etc....queen latifa was even called "big maybelle"..she had a record shop...kept looking at the covers and being an anorak as some werent even out when this was supposed to be based....a good xmas prezzie for your kids...would rather sit through that a hundred times than some that are out there!

Social source share

All I said was it was "based" on The Dells NOT their true story.

Agree ref the Nat Tornapol scene - hanging out the window - and suprise suprise there was a rumoured libel case which was apparently quashed over that!

Still its my choice as best soul film = or am I denied that as well laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!