Beside Aretha Franklin

:thumbsup: We all know where the Queen (Aretha Franklin) stands...she's "undisputed." But there are other incredible singers out there. If you want to include the current ladies like Mary J. Blige, Ashanti, Angie Stone, Jill Scott, Joss Stone, Brandy, etc. as "great singers," do that. I'm talking about women who can get up, grab that mic and SANG!!!!

I just got in the mail, THE HOTLANTA SOUL OF LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY, and I was blown away by, perhaps, the greatest soul singer. who could stand on the same stage in concert with Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle and Bettye LaVette!

There are others: Candi Staton, Chaka Khan, Ann Peebles, Mavis Staples, Denise LaSalle, Gwen McCrae, Whitney Houston, Jean DuShon, Gloria Lynne, Dakota Staton, Cissy Houston, Thelma Houston, Dorothy Moore, Timi Yuro, Tina Turner, Dusty Spingfield, Maxine Brown, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Peggy Scott-Adams, Shameeka Copeland, etc.

Can the recording artists of today match the ladies of yesterday (today)?

Who can sing with the legends, really?

Edited by OliverPenn
Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You forgot to mention Patti Austin :thumbsup: Listen to her Coral output. As a mere 15/16 year old she is up there with the best. She is the best IMO, better than any you mention.

As for todays singers competing with those from years gone by, well I hardly listen to todays music so can't really compare.

Social source share

Interesting question, regarding current artists not many would (could??) sing in that style, think there are a few with the ability. Mary J Blige for one I think could cut it live, but her material may not always lend to that, I have a cd by Denetria Champ who I think vocally is very similar but its a gospel cd so not sure you can compare directly.

For old school its even more interesting, do people think Aretha Franklin is the most soulful? She is probably my no. 1 (so much so for my 40th last year we travelled to cape cod to see her "farewell concerts as was desperate to see her at least once in my life) but there are others who could qualify for the most soulful but were not successful.

Loleatta Holloway was mentioned, Rozetta Johnson is another in similar style, there are many more who for a one off could equal Aretha. But overall she is my no. 1, even on some of her more well known stuff she does it for me, think I might have an Aretha day now!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Gotta agree with Chalky on this one. Patti Austin is better in MVHO than Aretha Never owned an Aretha record, too much of a 'shouter' in my view. Bellowing out a song dosn't equate to 'soul' or emotion. Much prefer singers who can really sing. Aretha just dosn't cut it for me, sorry.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Gotta agree with Chalky on this one. Patti Austin is better in MVHO than Aretha Never owned an Aretha record, too much of a 'shouter' in my view. Bellowing out a song dosn't equate to 'soul' or emotion. Much prefer singers who can really sing. Aretha just dosn't cut it for me, sorry.

link

Aretha's vast cannon of work contained many underated and soulful ballads can I point you in the direction of "Runnin out of fools " for a start

Social source share

link

Listen to 'Cry Like A Baby' and I think you may change your view.....

WOOF!

Social source share

Patti Austin is better in MVHO than Aretha Never owned an Aretha record, too much of a 'shouter' in my view.

I suppose it's different from the usual "she's too commercial".

Anybody who has listened to Aretha sing on record knows she has an extrordinary range and great voice. There are people who say she could sing the entries out of the yellow pages and make them sound musical whilst others would prefer she did just that than record some of the "songs" that appeared on her albums.

I caught her on Oprah with her sister Erma , two other singers and a pianist. Now she is not going to get away with shouting in that situation. She sang as she always has done with feeling, with emotion and a voice that brings tears to my eyes. Of course she can belt it along with best of them she came out of gospel for god's sake ( catch her double Amazing Grace). Unfortunately I missed her Grammy's performance of 1998 when Pavarotti dropped out on the day and Aretha stepped in and kept Pavarotti's orchestral arrangement incuding his key for Nessun Dorma.

If your experience of Aretha is respect from a stereo CD at a works night out you may think of her as a one note clunker. She has certainly made some clunker albums and whilst when she covers a song she can make it her own her versions of Dark end of the street and Son of a Preacher man pale against others.

I also note younger DJ's who don't have some of our preconceptions are digging out tracks from he pre and post Atlantic hits period and playing them on the scenes.

Social source share

My missis can not stand Aretha Franklin She says she just skreaches and wails and thats it, I have tryed to put her right but she aint having non of it. In her defence she never heard Soul music till she meet me, she into Kiss for hevens sake who ever said oppersits attract got it about right. whistling.gif:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Adam G

link

Along with Linda Jones, Arethas style IMO is brilliant either on uptempo or ballads.Its usually nonsoul fans who seem to think she just shouts.I recomend you buy "I cant see myself leaving you" Atlantic which you can pick up for a £5 then tell me she cant really sing. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Along with Linda Jones, Arethas style IMO is brilliant either on uptempo or ballads.Its usually nonsoul fans who seem to think she just shouts.I recomend you buy "I cant see myself leaving you" Atlantic which you can pick up for a £5 then tell me she cant really sing.  whistling.gif

link

Maybe sometimes, the songs chosen for or by Aretha to sing, arent the best for her voice. When she sings something like 'cry like a baby' (Great choice Trevski), it just fits beautifully. Or Chalky's Patti Austin, who else could sound as fantastic singing - take away the pain stain??

Swap the songs and the artists around, and you would get IMO worse outputs.

When Aretha was at the height of her commercial success, the songs chosen would have been just for that, commercial success. Not for the 'soulful content'. The managers at Atlantic's first aim was to make as much profit as possible.

Two of my fave female singers in a non soul environment are Natalie Merchant, and Eddie Reader. Both write their own songs, (apart from the very occasional cover) so every track they record is perfect for their voice. If more female soul singers had written their own material we may have had even more wonderous music to listen too.

To add my artist to the debate. As I have said on here before, Barbara Lynn is one of my fave artists, and despite being on Atlantic, she never reached the heights of sucess her voice deserved. Maybe the commercial market wasnt ready for 'This is the thanks I get', when she recorded it. But the public's loss is definetly the Northern Soul fan's gain.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It wasnt Trevskis choice, I was using it as an example for how she can sing without 'screaming'.....

WOOF!

link

Oops, sorry Mr Dog. Lovely choice tho whistling.gif

Social source share

whistling.gif We all know where the Queen (Aretha Franklin) stands...she's "undisputed."  But there are other incredible singers out there.  If you want to include the current ladies like Mary J. Blige, Ashanti, Angie Stone, Jill Scott, Joss Stone, Brandy, etc. as "great singers," do that.  I'm talking about women who can get up, grab that mic and SANG!!!!

I just got in the mail, THE HOTLANTA SOUL OF LOLEATTA HOLLOWAY, and I was blown away by, perhaps, the greatest soul singer. who could stand on the same stage in concert with Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle and Bettye LaVette!

There are others: Candi Staton, Chaka Khan, Ann Peebles, Mavis Staples, Denise LaSalle, Gwen McCrae, Whitney Houston, Jean DuShon,  Gloria Lynne, Dakota Staton, Cissy Houston, Thelma Houston, Dorothy Moore, Timi Yuro, Tina Turner, Dusty Spingfield, Maxine Brown, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves, Mary Wilson, Peggy Scott-Adams, Shameeka Copeland, etc.

Can the recording artists of today match the ladies of yesterday (today)?

link

"Cry To Me" / Loleatta Holloway (Aware) is one of the finest 45''s that i own.......an incredible heart wrenching ' Tour de Force', and incredibly moving song that never fails to lift the hairs on the back of the neck. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Went to see Aretha @ Radio City Music Hall in New York about 10yrs ago and believe it was just after her brother had died. She spent most of the evening in a rather subdued, reflective mood - shame really.

One of my personal all time favourite female vocalists has to be Brenda Lee Eager. IMHO 'When I'm With You' is sung to perfection and conveys such great emotion. wink.gif

Social source share

wink.gif We all know where the Queen (Aretha Franklin) stands...she's "undisputed." 

link

What about mrs miller? unsure.gif
Social source share

Have to mirror the admiration for Eddie Reader. Anyone who owns 'First Of A Million Kisses' will testify. Still, from being a child, one of my top ten albums of all time. One of the greatest jazz albums ever made. Bought it for Orton for Christmas. Fairground Attraction were cruelly labelled with 'Perfect'.

However, on a truly soulful note, I have to highlight one of the real talents that this country has produced. A little coloured lady by the name of Corrine Bailey Rae, Leeds born, and previously vocalist for a band called Sugarbrew, her voice will give you shivers.

I played Ady Lupton her version of 'Save your Love For Me' and we just sat in the car speechless. I'd say better vocally than Aretha for tone and expression, but make up your own minds. EMI certainly felt happy enough to give her a 5 album deal. She'll rightfully blast every new soul singer out of the waters.

And she's only 25.

Cited here at the modernsoul website.

https://www.modernsoul.net/dj%27sbiog.htm

Social source share

Have to mirror the admiration for Eddie Reader. Anyone who owns 'First Of A Million Kisses' will testify. Still, from being a child, one of my top ten albums of all time. One of the greatest jazz albums ever made. Bought it for Orton for Christmas. Fairground Attraction were cruelly labelled with 'Perfect'.

However, on a truly soulful note, I have to highlight one of the real talents that this country has produced. A little coloured lady by the name of Corrine Bailey Rae, Leeds born, and previously vocalist for a band called Sugarbrew, her voice will give you shivers.

I played Ady Lupton her version of 'Save your Love For Me' and we just sat in the car speechless. I'd say better vocally than Aretha for tone and expression, but make up your own minds. EMI certainly felt happy enough to give her a 5 album deal. She'll rightfully blast every new soul singer out of the waters.

And she's only 25.

Cited here at the modernsoul website.

https://www.modernsoul.net/dj%27sbiog.htm

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

for me the tops is shirley brown - been doing it in almost every decade

new stuff: sharon jones' vocals on how long..., my heart nearly stopped beating the first time i heard her launch into it!!!!! wow

here's one only known to a few (why am i doing this....i could make a fortune if i bought up a few of these kept my mouth shut and put them in the loft for five years): check out jasmine sullivan's white label 12" - this is a hairs on the back of the neck stander-upper - just get it!!!!! PM me if you wanna know more about this, it's something special

Social source share

Patti Austins coral sides are far too twee for me.

WOOF!

link

errr,

i don't know what you'd call 'you better know what you're getting into' but it certainly ain't twee. :thumbsup: but then again you can't fault afternoon sessions.

on the other hand, to say aretha can only shout, means somebody must have missed her 'baby, baby, baby' and a million others. :thumbsup:

or have we all been drinking cheap Vratislav. I'm glad I like the best of both worlds.

Social source share

You forgot to mention Patti Austin  :thumbsup:   Listen to her Coral output. As a mere 15/16 year old she is up there with the best.  She is the best IMO, better than any you mention.

As for todays singers competing with those from years gone by, well I hardly listen to todays music so can't really compare.

link

if Patti Austin and Brenda Russell would have been a 10 round non-title affair at the Empire Pool, Harry Carpenter would have been talking bollocks after two rounds cos Patti would have knocked her all over the playground.

15?? is that for deffo - never been one for stats as such but no girl of 15 can sing like that :yes:

Social source share

Some great choices here already. A couple of observations: Aretha Franklin is cruelly under-rated by the 'soul scene' if you ask me; forget many of the more well-known hit songs (many of which are fantastic), listen to material like "I'm Your Speed" from Almighty Fire and tell me this woman cannot sing. Also, I think for the first four or five years at least of her Atlantic career, the label steered her away from pop excess and cut her on material which deliberately and tastefully showcased both her incredible voice and unique piano playing. They were in it for the long haul, and made tons of amazing records.

Brenda Lee Eager is a simply sensational singer. I've raved about her on here before. Along with Shirley Brown her output provides a masterclass in terms of soul-singing in a 'technical' sense (if there can be such a thing).

Bettye Swann had a wonderfully expressive voice. I feel that she was let down by her material quite often, but when she sang truly great songs like (her own composition) "My Heart Is Closed For The Season" on Capitol, George Jackson's "Living A Lie" on Fame, or "Time To Say Goodbye" on Atlantic, she was an awe-inspiring vocalist.

Lolleata Holloway has few peers when it comes to power: check out "I'll Be Gone" from the Cry To Me album or the wonderful, unissued (until a 100 Club Anniversary 45) "This Man's Arms": spellbinding.

In terms of conveying emotion, Denise LaSalle at her best takes some catching and made some phenomenal records, a comment which applies to Candi Staton, Sugar Pie DeSanto and Maxine Brown.

A singer I must mention as a personal favourite is Kim Tolliver. She made numerous super 45s, but for me her foremost moment on wax is "I'm Losing The Feeling" from her Chess album: this must be in the best three records I've ever heard, and is a shattering, genre-defining example of SOUL.

Social source share

Some great choices here already. A couple of observations: Aretha Franklin is cruelly under-rated by the 'soul scene' if you ask me; forget many of the more well-known hit songs (many of which are fantastic), listen to material like "I'm Your Speed" from Almighty Fire and tell me this woman cannot sing. Also, I think for the first four or five years at least of her Atlantic career, the label steered her away from pop excess and cut her on material which deliberately and tastefully showcased both her incredible voice and unique piano playing. They were in it for the long haul, and made tons of amazing records.

Brenda Lee Eager is a simply sensational singer. I've raved about her on here before. Along with Shirley Brown her output provides a masterclass in terms of soul-singing in a 'technical' sense (if there can be such a thing).

Bettye Swann had a wonderfully expressive voice. I feel that she was let down by her material quite often, but when she sang truly great songs like (her own composition) "My Heart Is Closed For The Season" on Capitol, George Jackson's "Living A Lie" on Fame, or "Time To Say Goodbye" on Atlantic, she was an awe-inspiring vocalist.

Lolleata Holloway has few peers when it comes to power: check out "I'll Be Gone" from the Cry To Me album or the wonderful, unissued (until a 100 Club Anniversary 45) "This Man's Arms": spellbinding.

In terms of conveying emotion, Denise LaSalle at her best takes some catching and made some phenomenal records, a comment which applies to Candi Staton, Sugar Pie DeSanto and Maxine Brown.

A singer I must mention as a personal favourite is Kim Tolliver. She made numerous super 45s, but for me her foremost moment on wax is "I'm Losing The Feeling" from her Chess album: this must be in the best three records I've ever heard, and is a shattering, genre-defining example of SOUL.

link

When I heard Loleatta Holloway's "This Man's Arms," I played it over at least ten times, especially those fantastic vocal gymnastics at the end of the song. I haven't heard any singer do that with her voice!

I have been fortunate to see [Aretha Franklin, Bettye LaVette and Loleatta in person many times. Bettye is, without question, the best female stage performer. You should visit her website and read what critics are saying about her. https://www.bettyelavette.com BLUES DIVAS is a new documentary that will air on PBS, I believe, and will make LaVette a household name. It features eight lady blues singers besides Bettye. Among them are Mavis Staples, Ann Peebles, Denise LaSalle, Odetta, Deborah Coleman, Irma Thomas and one other person (her name escapes me).

Loleatta blew me away when I saw her at a NY club called The Hollywood. She "warmed up" her set with an Aretha Franklin medley! At one point, she said, "Gladys Knight recorded this next song and tried to convey a message that I will convey to you tonight." She proceeded to destroy Gladys' version of "There'll Come A Time." Her voice was incredible. If Mary J., Joss, Angie, etc. had been sitting there listening to Holloway, they'd never open their mouths again.

I saw one of Aretha's greatest shows at Philharmonic Hall. The first part of the show featured Erma Franklin and Carolyn Franklin. The packed house was shocked by their incredible performances. Erma ended her set with a soulful, "My Way" (going all the way to the floor screaming). Comments during the intermission went like this: "now, what can Aretha do after all that?" Well, when Aretha was announced, she came out smoking (Sweet Inspirations in tow)! She had to after her sisters had mopped the floor. Talk about playing some piano. It was well-miked and so was the Queen. She took us straight to New Bethel Baptist Church and sat us down. The Hall looked like a war zone when she finally left the stage. Folks who arrived dressed to the nines, looked like they had been in battle.

Edited by OliverPenn
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

There only one Queen Of Soul, and it ain't Aretha :yes:

I love most of the ladies mentioned in this thread, but Aretha is simply overrated (I know, I know, I should add: IMHO :yes: ).

No, Cissy Houston's voice is the benchmark to which everyone should be compared - she could (perhaps can, when she's not chaperoning her daughter?) sing it all, blues, gospel, northern, southern and disco. Hands down, she truly is the #1. Got some rare tracks of her to be posted here once I'm back at my home computer.

Anyone got an MP3 of her original Midnight Train To Georgia to send me - you'll get a good track back! :thumbsup:

Chris

Ps. Cheese factor aside, Oleta Adams has an incredible voice

Social source share

There only one Queen Of Soul, and it ain't Aretha rolleyes.gif

I love most of the ladies mentioned in this thread, but Aretha is simply overrated (I know, I know, I should add: IMHO  :thumbsup: ).

No, Cissy Houston's voice is the benchmark to which everyone should be compared - she could (perhaps can, when she's not chaperoning her daughter?) sing it all, blues, gospel, northern, southern and disco. Hands down, she truly is the #1. Got some rare tracks of her to be posted here once I'm back at my home computer.

Anyone got an MP3 of her original Midnight Train To Georgia to send me - you'll get a good track back! :thumbsup:

Chris

Ps. Cheese factor aside, Oleta Adams has an incredible voice

link

CAUGHT THE END OF THIS ONE BUT I LOVE TO PLAY ARETHE DOING SEE SAW AND FOLLOW IT BY DON COVAY DOING THE SAME. OOPS CAPS. (soz not writing it all out again) got sly and the family on now, the anthology album.

dave

Social source share

for me the tops is shirley brown - been doing it in almost every decade

Have to agree with you on that one. kinda proves my theory that big girls belt em out better rolleyes.gif Another I would add to the list would be Ann Nesby

Trev

Social source share

CAUGHT THE END OF THIS ONE BUT I LOVE TO PLAY ARETHE DOING SEE SAW  AND FOLLOW IT BY DON COVAY DOING THE SAME. OOPS CAPS.  (soz not writing it all out again)  got sly and the family on now, the anthology album.

dave

link

Dave

I have told you time and time again Aretha is s***e, over rated and a screacher and personally never have and never would have any thing by her in my box. DUSTY is the best and I think I would rather even listen to Dolly Parton than Aretha, or as Ken suggested earlier Mrs Miller (dont remember her but got to be better than AF) was better than Aretha, in fact me on Karaoke is bad but better than Ms Franklin (well I thought so at 12.30am today)

Your ever loving

QOF

XXX

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

I've never had that much time for Aretha's voice and maybe I just don't get it.

Fave Female Soul Singer for some years has been Doris Duke - her 1970 'I'm a loser' album (produced and mostly written by Jerry 'swamp dog' Williams) is well worth listening to as it defines deep soul in my opinion

Social source share

Dave

I have told you time and time again Aretha is s***e, over rated and a screacher and personally never have and never would have any thing by her in my box.  DUSTY is the best and I think I would rather even listen to Dolly Parton than Aretha, or as Ken suggested earlier Mrs Miller (dont remember her but got to be better than AF) was better than Aretha, in fact me on Karaoke is bad but better than Ms Franklin (well I thought so at 12.30am today)

Your ever loving

QOF

XXX

link

Quite a sweeping statement that. Have you listened to everything then that she has recorded or would this be based upon the odd track of hers that are played at allnighters.

As a deep soul collector I have come across artists (female) that are as good as her and occasionally better but to call her shite is just beyond me and even worse to compare her to a karaoke singer even someone of your quality... am I really on a soul forum

Trev

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Not a fan of Aretha myself most of the time (although that's definitely to do with song choice than her vocal chords). That's a dastadly double for me after slagging off Jackie Wilson in another thread.

Best female voice for me = Marie Knight

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!