Beside Aretha Franklin

Not a fan of Aretha myself most of the time (although that's definitely to do with song choice than her vocal chords). That's a dastadly double for me after slagging off Jackie Wilson in another thread.

Best female voice for me = Marie Knight

link

good evening Andy......let me be the first to wish you a great St. George's Day.....I think Brenda Holloway has a very nice singing voice...and Kim Weston...

Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Quite a sweeping statement that. Have you listened to everything then that she has recorded or would this be based upon the odd track of hers that are played at allnighters.

As a deep soul collector I have come across artists (female) that are as good as her and occasionally better but to call her shite is just beyond me and even worse to compare her to a karaoke singer even someone of your quality... am I really on a soul forum

Trev

link

I am now nearer 50 than 40 and have heard plenty of AF over the years probably most of it NOT at nighters or NS, but she still doesn't float my boat, just grates on me realy but its only IMO.

QOF

XX

Social source share

good evening Andy......let me be the first to wish you a great St. George's Day.....I think Brenda Holloway has a very nice singing voice...and Kim Weston...

link

Although my all time fave will always be Dusty, kim weston and brenda holloway are vg as well, more my cuppa oh and Barbara Lynn singing "you left the water runining" far easier on the old lugs.

QOF

XX

PS

RB you're 7 mins early with the St G thingy

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

I am now nearer 50 than 40 and have heard plenty of AF over the years probably most of it NOT at nighters or NS, but she still doesn't float my boat, just grates on me realy but its only IMO.

QOF

XX

link

Me too ...age wise only...I play "Don't Play That Song" loads of times a month and love it just as much as the first time I heard it.

Social source share

Although my all time fave will always be Dusty, kim weston and brenda holloway are vg as well, more my cuppa oh and Barbara Lynn singing "you left the water runining" far easier on the old lugs.

QOF

XX

PS

RB you're 7 mins early with the St G thingy

link

I'm sorry for being early!....did your son enjoy Prestatyn?...leigh?

Social source share

I'm sorry for being early!....did your son enjoy Prestatyn?...leigh?

link

Appols to everyone for being off thread for a mo - but he loved it. He is a Music lover full stop and DJs Dance/House etc, and plays in a rock band. He has just stareted getting into mod stuff and ska (unbeknown to me) and has already decided he's coming again next year. Think he is coming to the all nighter at Llandudno tomorrow with me as well. Thanks for the contacts for passes greatly appreciated. Took my big sis on the sunday and she wants to go again as well - she always was a big soul fan, more of an ottis type follower than NS but still loved it.

QOF

XX

Social source share

Appols to everyone for being off thread for a mo - but he loved it.  He is a Music lover full stop and DJs Dance/House etc, and plays in a rock band.  He has just stareted getting into mod stuff and ska (unbeknown to me) and has already decided he's coming again next year.  Think he is coming to the all nighter at Llandudno tomorrow with me as well.  Thanks for the contacts for passes greatly appreciated.  Took my big sis on the sunday and she wants to go again as well - she always was a big soul fan, more of an ottis type follower than NS but still loved it.

QOF

XX

link

Me too..for being off thread.......I'm going to Luton tomorrow but would love to go to Scenesville also....hope you have a great time in Wales.

Social source share

QOF

XX

link

In the same age bracket as you. She did`nt really float my boat when I was younger but a friend said I really ought to listen so I did. Dont think she`s the greatest thing ever but your statement was quite damning. it`s your opinion and thats what forums are for as it happens ive got a cd on at the moment as ime typing this and it`s her doing "it only happens whe n I look at you". Sounded faultless to me but then thats my opinion :lol:

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert