Holgate York Just Gets Better

I went to the Holgate York last night and I must admit it has become a must go to venue for me.

Tony Hatfield, John Parker and guest DJ Mark (billytheboot) Whiteley were outstanding.

Its not very often theses days where you get all hyped up when travelling to a venue because you just dont know how much better they can make it from the last event or how good the sounds are going to get and believe me last night was fantastic.

As I put in previous post it was good to see trevski and also to be informed that his inspiration and guiding hand in his music is his missus, :wicked:

BTW i rarely dance to more than two or three tunes these days (age you know) but last night i was only off the floor occaisionaly (suffering today)

Anyone else go?

Worth a trip for those who havent ventured to this venue yet you will not be dissappointed

Geeooooorrddie :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

Holgate, Yes, excellent soul nite, where else could you hear Joe Jama, Fred & Turbines, Otis Lee etc at a 'local' soul nite?? Tracey and Tony do a fantastic job of running this fine venue, along with John Parkers superb records every month, what more could you want? :thumbsup:

PS Rumours of me being a 'mere puppet' to Jo's guiding hand are totally unfounded, Mr J, and I shall be having words with you on this subject!! :wicked:biggrin.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Holgate, Yes, excellent soul nite, where else could you hear Joe Jama, Fred & Turbines, Otis Lee etc at a 'local' soul nite?? Tracey and Tony do a fantastic job of running this fine venue, along with John Parkers superb records every month, what more could you want? :thumbsup:

PS Rumours of me being a 'mere puppet' to Jo's guiding hand are totally unfounded, Mr J, and I shall be having words with you on this subject!! :wicked:   biggrin.gif

link

-------------------------------

A bit far for us travel to a soul night, in usual circumstances. Have heared the ort of stuff they play though as they were on of the soul nights playing some tunes on the Saturday afternoon at Prestatyn.

Also we were sat next to Tony in the pub on the friday evening and every so often Tony would remark as a specific tune was played that that was the sort of stuff they played at Holgate.

Pity they aren't a bit nearer.

Gaye

Social source share

Hi there

Heard good things about the Holgate...Always keen to try some other places if they are forward thinking...Don't mind my oldies but need my ears bending as well..Thats why i got into this scene..

Can you tell us all a little about the place,history,size,music policy,past guests..Will always try and support different places..

Social source share

The Holgate has been running for a few years, the music policy is progressive playing across the board, and you will hear some superb rarities.

It does play mainly 60s/70s......... but great 60s/70s

How many times do you go to a venue and nobody dances until about 10:30 when the ale kicks in...............not the Holgate as people are entering the room many head straight to the floor, last night by 8:45 the room was filling but the floor was jumping.

need I say more

Social source share

PS Rumours of me being a 'mere puppet' to Jo's guiding hand are totally unfounded, Mr J, and I shall be having words with you on this subject!! biggrin.gif   :wicked:

link

Trev,

Jo asked me to do a poll for a laugh, it was going to be do you think trev follows jos lead on music yes or no.

But after the ale wore off this morning I thought that would be too cruel.

Looking forward to your set at the Wilton :wicked:

Social source share

The Holgate has been running for a few years, the music policy is progressive playing across the board, and you will hear some superb rarities.

It does play mainly 60s/70s......... but great 60s/70s

How many times do you go to a venue and nobody dances until about 10:30 when the ale kicks in...............not the Holgate as people are entering the room many head straight to the floor, last night by 8:45 the room was filling but the floor was jumping.

need I say more

link

Geordie, the Holgate as always been a great venue, haven't been for a few years, (except Chris Holmes's 50th).

Here's a scan of one of their promo tapes, 1995, I guess.

post-1930-1110744929_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trev,

Jo asked me to do a poll for a laugh, it was going to be do you think trev follows jos lead on music yes or no.

But after the ale wore off this morning I thought that would be too cruel.

Looking forward to your set at the Wilton whistling.gif

link

Good job too!

Well, Wilton on Friday, Jo is busy sorting out my playlist, scripting my ad-lib comments, choosing my outfit and ironing my underpants! All I have to do is turn up! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!