Smoking Ban

• Replies 84
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm an ex smoker and can't stand them but on reflection the ban is slowly doing more to kill of northern soul than all the politics and in fighting. Some places severely lacking in atmosphere with more outside than in ph34r.gif

I for one would welcome the ban being over turned. maybe we should petition the government...or at least have an area inside the room set aside for smokers.

AGREE WITH YOUR COMMENTS CHALKY, I PUT A THREAD ABOUT SMOKING BAN KILLING THE SCENE AT SMALL VENUES MONTHS AGO AND GOT A LOAD OF WISE CRACKS BACK FOR MY TROUBLE

wESTY

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Actually the first reports of events (Not just Northern soul, but I don't see why that should be any different) being hit came after the extension of the drinking hours. It seems that a lot of people just couldn't be bother to get up off their backsides if they weren't made to. The smoking ban is just icing on the cake, and the Irish experience, where they've had a ban for a fair bit longer than we have, suggests that the 'staying at home to smoke' syndrome is only temporary.

Unfortunately the 'Staying in the pub to get trollied' syndrome isn't...

Social source share

I'm an ex smoker and can't stand them but on reflection the ban is slowly doing more to kill of northern soul than all the politics and in fighting. Some places severely lacking in atmosphere with more outside than in :thumbsup:

I for one would welcome the ban being over turned. maybe we should petition the government...or at least have an area inside the room set aside for smokers.

VENTILATION NOT SEGREGATION.....ARE YOU STILL ALOUD TO SMOKE IN GENTLEMENS CLUBS..YOU KNOW BIG FAT FOOOOKIN CIGARS...I WONDER

Social source share

agree

agree

Is it the cigarettes they're addicted to or the nicotine?

I'm an ex-smoker, although saying that I packed up in 1991, for years smokers didn't give a thought about my rights. So why should I be bothered about theirs, now that the boot is on the other foot so to speak?

As for the idiotic suggestion of ignoring the ban, yes why don't you do that at these venues, see how many more events get held at them as a result, how about none? But then of course the closure would be as a result of the smoking ban and not the selfish actions of a few people addicted to nicotine, would it?

Idiotic suggestion? if this is aimed at my post (15) apologies if it was a tad vague, it wasn't an idiotic suggestion, it wasn't a suggestion idiotic or otherwise, merely a hypathetical - i wonder what would happen if................ And it wasn't aimed at the tiny world of NS venues more a nationwide en mass sort of demonstration,

I am a smoker and for as long as i can remember i have refrained from sharing my filthy habit with non smokers, always tried to get my fix away from those that don't partake, but i do think the current law is an extreme joke to say the least, and in itself will harm any kind of social gathering to some extent, time will tell how much,

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

As a smoker of about 25 years, I was obviously concerned about the ban, as a smoke, a pint and quick sit down while having a chat and watching others on the dance floor (while I caught my breath) has been as much a part of a night out to me as tearing up the dance floor myself :(

But when all is said and done, I can certainly see why non-smokers are as happy as they are at its introduction - they won't go home stinking of fags and they won't end up coughing their guts up at the end of the night - even when you could smoke at venues, if I was sat with non-smokers, I'd bugger off elsewhere for a tab, so they didn't have to breath it in, I suppose it's just common courtesy isn't it?

The only real problem now is that pubs, clubs and soul nights are revealing their true smells - and that's smelly feet, B.O and beer farts unsure.gif

I aren't bothered about going outside for a tab, I just accept it, I just synchronise my need for a slash with a quick nip outside for a smoke at the same time (not that I piss outside I hasten to add laugh.gif ), that way, I'll only miss a couple of records tops, and then I can pile back on the dance floor. (Begrudgingly I do have to admit that I do smoke less now though. unsure.gif )

The only thing that gets my goat is the holier than thou attitude from some smokers, I mean some are moaning about us being outside the front doors now ohmy.gif You don't smoke, so fook off back inside and dance then, and that way my smoke won't bother you will it! There's no pleasing some people :D

Us smokers will have the last laugh though, taxation on tobacco used generate a massive income for the government, but now that more and more people are stopping, the government are simply introducing more and more stealth taxes to cover their losses, so in real terms all the non-smokers and reformed smokers are going to end up paying as much tax as us smokers and thus subsidise our tabs - ace laugh.gif

Social source share

As an ex smoker (30-40 a day not some whimpy 5 a day), I know how you smokers feel.

I even come outside in the smoking area with you smokies when it's not too cold.

However I must say that I am enjoying going to clubs which have relatively clean air and aren't all fuggy.

Felt it was a real problem in the summer when loads were going outside and it was killing off the atmosphere inside. Not so bad in the winter though when it's cold / wet etc.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Pete you may have a food allergy giving you gout or maybe your body wasnt clear of gout before you stopped drinking

I wish I could find out because this is the 4th day of this paticular gout-bout - though I know someone on the scene, I won't say who, who gets it so bad that it is debilitating and he has had to go into hospital for pain killing injections, thats how bad it can get.

Social source share

Guest edsuede

Us smokers will have the last laugh though, taxation on tobacco used generate a massive income for the government, but now that more and more people are stopping, the government are simply introducing more and more stealth taxes to cover their losses, so in real terms all the non-smokers and reformed smokers are going to end up paying as much tax as us smokers and thus subsidise our tabs - ace :(

:( Regettably Kev, smokers in turn cost the country a huge amount in terms of medical treatment and care for themselves and those affected by passive smoking - I wonder if the amount of revenue paid by smokers has in any way equaled the medical bills caused by this habit?

None of us will ever win with taxation in any case - Government will always look to tax the ordinary man and woman in order to raise money for their illegal wars, to subsidise privatisation of our services, finance the royal family, etc.

:rolleyes: Thumbs up for being a considerate smoker though mate!!

Social source share

:( Regettably Kev, smokers in turn cost the country a huge amount in terms of medical treatment and care for themselves and those affected by passive smoking - I wonder if the amount of revenue paid by smokers has in any way equaled the medical bills caused by this habit?

:rolleyes: typical 'anti smoking propoganda'

Average cost to NHS 1.5/6 billion, revenue raised from smoking around 7/8 billion

Of course its getting harder and harder to find the actual tables and statistics on this as obviously they dont want you to know, some one whos better at searching the net could find it. i found it on the statsictics website ages ago or a gov related one

Social source share

:P typical 'anti smoking propoganda'

Average cost to NHS 1.5/6 billion, revenue raised from smoking around 7/8 billion

Of course its getting harder and harder to find the actual tables and statistics on this as obviously they dont want you to know, some one whos better at searching the net could find it. i found it on the statsictics website ages ago or a gov related one

Work it out Baz.

Average smoker buy's a pack of 20 a day at just over £5 a pack (most popular brand B&H)

£4 of that is tax (govt figures convieniently fail to include things like VAT)

13 million smokers so multiply £4 by 13 million = £52 million a day.

Multiply that by 365 & you get 18.9 BILLION.

Now just think if we all stopped in protest.

Where would the missing revenue come from? VAT on kids clothes, another fuel increase, or perhaps a rise in income tax?

Non smokers should be welcoming us with open arms for saving them all that extra tax as they'd be the 1st to moan if we did all stop & it hit them in their pockets.

Social source share

I wish I could find out because this is the 4th day of this paticular gout-bout - though I know someone on the scene, I won't say who, who gets it so bad that it is debilitating and he has had to go into hospital for pain killing injections, thats how bad it can get.

Pete (this is our health advise off topic bit) looks like a course of diphene to clear the gout then aluprinol tablet daily. Acidic foods, strawberries, shellfish, strong cheese, gravy, offal, too many sweets may trigger it, not just drink. some suggest taking a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda in water.

Lotsa water, celery, black cherries n other stuff help lower your acidity levels

anyway smoking.. dont meself, here in Ireland its taken a few years for many pubs, venues to build some form of shelter for smokers. Yes think less go out here now tho summer ok. wonder if you could adapt a deep sea divers helmet allowing one to smoke and dance at sametime whilst wearing this new contraption.

Social source share

Work it out Baz.

Average smoker buy's a pack of 20 a day at just over £5 a pack (most popular brand B&H)

£4 of that is tax (govt figures convieniently fail to include things like VAT)

13 million smokers so multiply £4 by 13 million = £52 million a day.

Multiply that by 365 & you get 18.9 BILLION.

Now just think if we all stopped in protest.

Where would the missing revenue come from? VAT on kids clothes, another fuel increase, or perhaps a rise in income tax?

Non smokers should be welcoming us with open arms for saving them all that extra tax as they'd be the 1st to moan if we did all stop & it hit them in their pockets.

Hmm in UK

17,000 hospital admissions in a single year of children under 5 are due to their parents smoking'

'smoking kills more than 13 people an hour'

what about the cost of smoke breaks and increased sick days from smoking and passive smoking.

redecorating

one in six cigarettes illegal,so no tax recouped

In 2003 there were 593 fire-related deaths in the UK, with 395 deaths from accidental house fires,

35% of which were caused by the careless disposal of smoking materials.

Think of the human and financial cost of say the Oxford Circus and Kings Cross fires caused by a cigarette

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Oh come on guys, let's not get on with the statistics regarding smoking etc etc, after all 89.7543% of all statistics are made up! :thumbsup:

If you were to ban everything that harmed you or others around you, there'd be no smoking, no alcohol, no cars, no snacks/fast food, no religion, no sports, no fookin nothing! :ohmy:

I've spent a total of 12 years working in different capacities which involved me dealing with people in and around medical emergencies (as a copper, nurse and latterly paramedic) and the vast majority of cases I saw admitted through A&E were due to alcohol and/or stimulants/drugs of one sort or another (prescription & non-prescription), but mainly people overdoing alcohol. wacko.gif:thumbsup:

When I worked on a male medical ward the vast majority of conditions were due to poor lifestyle overall (bad diet, no exercise, above safe levels of alcohol consumption, smoking etc) and a very large proportion of admissions were due to pre-existing hereditary medical conditions (poor sods, didn't stand a chance! :g: ).

Yes, I know smoking is bad for me and I know it is bad for others. That's why I smoke away from non-smokers and don't smoke in my house (never have, never will - I don't want to harm my kids).

But let's not all get holier than thou, because if you compare the cost of smoking impacting on the NHS and compare it to the impact that alcohol has on the NHS, Social Care, families, Policing our communities (crimes carried out while under the influence) etc etc, smoking is pretty small potatoes!

So lay off us smokers - because it'll be you drinkers next..............(oh sh*te that me as well :no: )

Social source share

I wrote to the Department of Health regarding the detrimental effect that the smokong ban was having on venues and other functions/eventsetc, just out of curiosity to see what shite they would reply with, if at all. Well they did and here is the response.....

Thank you for your email of 25 November to the Department of Health about the smokefree legislation.

I am sorry that you feel that the legislation has had a negative impact on your business.

There is considerable international evidence from countries that have introduced legislation for smokefree public places and workplaces that the impact on the hospitality industry is not detrimental.

Analysis and international experience shows that going smokefree can actually be beneficial to the hospitality industry. We must remember that almost 80 per cent of England's population do not smoke, and this represents a very large market.

There is much evidence about the benefits to hospitality of smokefree legislation, but after the first year of being smokefree, New York City saw that:

- Business tax receipts in restaurants and bars go up by 8.7 per cent;

- Employment in restaurants and bars has increased by 10,600 jobs;

- New Yorkers overwhelmingly supported the law; and

- Tests showed that the air quality in bars and restaurants improved dramatically.

There is also comparable evidence of the benefits of smokefree legislation for the hospitality industries in other countries including Ireland, and similar evidence is emerging in Scotland since their smokefree legislation was implemented in March 2006.

Importantly, smokefree legislation will be good for the health of hospitality workers and patrons. The British Institute of Innkeeping's magazine recently said that:

"...we are talking about banning the use of a carcinogenic substance which in enclosed spaces kills or damages the health of passive smokers?that means licensees and bar staff and customers. This is a scientific fact, and we should bear this in mind along with the economic arguments."

I hope this information has been of help.

Yours sincerely,

Department of Health

Social source share

I wrote to the Department of Health regarding the detrimental effect that the smokong ban was having on venues and other functions/eventsetc, just out of curiosity to see what shite they would reply with, if at all. Well they did and here is the response.....

Thank you for your email of 25 November to the Department of Health about the smokefree legislation.

I am sorry that you feel that the legislation has had a negative impact on your business.

There is considerable international evidence from countries that have introduced legislation for smokefree public places and workplaces that the impact on the hospitality industry is not detrimental.

Analysis and international experience shows that going smokefree can actually be beneficial to the hospitality industry. We must remember that almost 80 per cent of England's population do not smoke, and this represents a very large market.

There is much evidence about the benefits to hospitality of smokefree legislation, but after the first year of being smokefree, New York City saw that:

- Tests showed that the air quality in bars and restaurants improved dramatically.

There is also comparable evidence of the benefits of smokefree legislation for the hospitality industries in other countries including Ireland, and similar evidence is emerging in Scotland since their smokefree legislation was implemented in March 2006.

Importantly, smokefree legislation will be good for the health of hospitality workers and patrons. The British Institute of Innkeeping's magazine recently said that:

"...we are talking about banning the use of a carcinogenic substance which in enclosed spaces kills or damages the health of passive smokers?that means licensees and bar staff and customers. This is a scientific fact, and we should bear this in mind along with the economic arguments."

Yours sincerely,

Department of Health

Smoking ban is the best thing thats ever happened thats gone public imho.Dont mind smokers but please keep it to yourself not everybody else.Its a breath of fresh air to go to a soul nite and not coming home stinking!.

Social source share

Yours sincerely,

Department of Health

you know the answer now then Chalky dont you, Lifeline in New York New York :thumbsup:

what a load of tosh saying that new york represents everywhere else in the world, its a major city that attracts millions of tourists ever year without the fact it has a massive population of its own anyway,

Social source share

Smoking ban is the best thing thats ever happened thats gone public imho.Dont mind smokers but please keep it to yourself not everybody else.Its a breath of fresh air to go to a soul nite and not coming home stinking!.

Im a smoker and i agree that its nice not stinking of smoke when you get home but i think what most smokers are asking for is a segregated area that could be used indoors thats well ventilated and not just stuck outside in the cold wind rain and all the elements, it never stopped non smokers from going out before so why should it bother them now,

Social source share

I'm an ex smoker and can't stand them but IMHO they are having a detrimental effect on soul nights with some venues devoid of any kind of atmosphere due to the amount of smokers outside.

Extraction (and a supply of fabreeze :thumbsup: ) should be the way forward and an area set aside for smokers in the venues if you want my opinion, not an outright ban.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

you know the answer now then Chalky dont you, Lifeline in New York New York :thumbsup:

what a load of tosh saying that new york represents everywhere else in the world, its a major city that attracts millions of tourists ever year without the fact it has a massive population of its own anyway,

Sounds like a good idea mate wink.gif

Social source share

but i think what most smokers are asking for is a segregated area that could be used indoors thats well ventilated and not just stuck outside in the cold wind rain and all the elements

That's what my original comment was about. I'm not having a go at anyone who don't smoke, moaning about the smell etc, etc Was having a go at the large council run venue's more than anyone else because of the total disregard for people who smoke and there lack of adequate shelter.

Steve

Social source share

That's what my original comment was about. I'm not having a go at anyone who don't smoke, moaning about the smell etc, etc Was having a go at the large council run venue's more than anyone else because of the total disregard for people who smoke and there lack of adequate shelter.

Steve

I know Steve i was just adding to it :rolleyes:

some venues are even not letting you smoke outside either and making you have to move away from the entrance or even the grounds of the building, it just seems that something that has been accepted for so long by the majority and part of our cultural and socialising past are now just alienating it full stop, i hate to say something like its all about equal rights and so on but the smell of clothes and the health issues to non smoking have to be considered totally but shouldnt smokers have a right too have access to a well ventilated area thats either within the building or sufficently protected outside,

i still think that if every venue had a choice to be a smoking or non smoking the majority would still go non smoking and if an event was a smoking event and another was a non smoking event it wouldnt make no difference to me i would go the the one with the music policy to suit me, it just makes you fell like a social lepper now but its something i started when i didnt really know any better, cant business make their own choice and the punters too,

Social source share

I know Steve i was just adding to it :rolleyes:

some venues are even not letting you smoke outside either and making you have to move away from the entrance or even the grounds of the building, it just seems that something that has been accepted for so long by the majority and part of our cultural and socialising past are now just alienating it full stop, i hate to say something like its all about equal rights and so on but the smell of clothes and the health issues to non smoking have to be considered totally but shouldnt smokers have a right too have access to a well ventilated area thats either within the building or sufficently protected outside,

i still think that if every venue had a choice to be a smoking or non smoking the majority would still go non smoking and if an event was a smoking event and another was a non smoking event it wouldnt make no difference to me i would go the the one with the music policy to suit me, it just makes you fell like a social lepper now but its something i started when i didnt really know any better, cant business make their own choice and the punters too,

In addition to your comments, what about the safety aspect especially for us ladies. I think there was an incident about a year ago when a nurse who had gone off the hospital grounds for a cigarette in her break was either murdered or raped. If a venue has a designated smoking area outside, its not so bad, but I would not want to have to go away from a venue or off the grounds of a venue for a cigarette on my own in the early hours of the morning..............and no funny comments about me scaring any perpetrator away :D

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

In addition to your comments, what about the safety aspect especially for us ladies. I think there was an incident about a year ago when a nurse who had gone off the hospital grounds for a cigarette in her break was either murdered or raped. If a venue has a designated smoking area outside, its not so bad, but I would not want to have to go away from a venue or off the grounds of a venue for a cigarette on my own in the early hours of the morning..............and no funny comments about me scaring any perpetrator away :D

QoFxx

I cant comment cos you said so Chrissie :rolleyes: i would come with you anyway so i was protected :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!