Platters 81

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

flip of "baby do the philly dog"...are all copies like this?....

post-1770-1196517283_thumb.jpg

One thing that Instantly struck me is the centre.

That looks like a different pressing plant to the norm.

I'm pretty sure that the centres were either solid or 4 pronged, if you know what I mean.

Jay_Boy_BOY_64a.jpgJay_Boy_BOY_74a.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have Just checked, I haven't a copy of "Baby, Do The Philly Dog" on Jay Boy so I can't help with the Audio on the B Side.

In times of high Volume sales different pressing plants were used on quite a few records, creating rarities.

Someone on here will no doubt correct me If I'm wrong, and I may well be, but I can't remember seeing one before.

However since you have posted this, I have Just Checked on.

Popsike.com

160026519298.jpg

Jay Boy 58

I still consider this centre Unusual for Jay Boy.

The others on Popsike are Solid or 4 Pronged.

A similar thing happened with Some of the E.M.I. Labels Columbia, Parlophone, etc during the 60's

Pressed at Philips, Pye, Decca but have the E.M.I. Label.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I have Just checked, I haven't a copy of "Baby, Do The Philly Dog" on Jay Boy so I can't help with the Audio on the B Side.

In times of high Volume sales different pressing plants were used on quite a few records, creating rarities.

Someone on here will no doubt correct me If I'm wrong, and I may well be, but I can't remember seeing one before.

However since you have posted this, I have Just Checked on.

Popsike.com

160026519298.jpg

Jay Boy 58

I still consider this centre Unusual for Jay Boy.

The others on Popsike are Solid or 4 Pronged.

A similar thing happened with Some of the E.M.I. Labels Columbia, Parlophone, etc during the 60's

Pressed at Philips, Pye, Decca but have the E.M.I. Label.

You know your stuff! A Beatles collector put me on to the the pronges. They are after three pronged Parlophones. Maybe pressed by Phliips instead of EMI.

Social source share

You know your stuff! A Beatles collector put me on to the the pronges. They are after three pronged Parlophones. Maybe pressed by Phliips instead of EMI.

Forgive me for putting NON Soul records up. These were the only two I could find.

----------------------E.M.I.-------------------------------------PHILIPS

Columbia_DB-7711a_E.jpgColumbia_DB-7711a_P.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Jay Boy 56

I Just wonder If something happened around the time of Jay Boy 56 - Jay Boy 58.

I have seen a 4 Pronged Jay Boy 56 on another Web Site, which I suspect will be the normal Variation for Jay Boy 56.

I'm only guessing, but I suspect that for some reason at the time a batch was pressed elsewhere

and by mistake put the wrong Master in the press as the B Side.

Jay Boy Records did have a Very Distinctive Press with the Chiseled in Matrix.

Normally Solid or 4 Pronged centre.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The Beatles Pye and Philips pressings were done because the EMI factory couldn't keep up with demand, but as for the Jayboy records pressed by Philips - this can only have been because Jayboy's pressing facilities broke down! Are there any President 45's pressed by Philips?

Social source share

The Beatles Pye and Philips pressings were done because the EMI factory couldn't keep up with demand, but as for the Jayboy records pressed by Philips - this can only have been because Jayboy's pressing facilities broke down! Are there any President 45's pressed by Philips?

I don't think so, but having said that I hadn't noticed a Jay Boy until this post.

I believe some of the Presidents were repressed in the 70's but had 4 Pronged centres & smooth Label.

The Original press had the Anti-Slip raised diamond centre with a rougher texture to the Label.

Something in the back of my memory tells me that another 60's press had a similar 3 pronged centre.

Who pressed the Doctor Bird & Pyramid Label? they had similar 3 pronged centre

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I don't think so, but having said that I hadn't noticed a Jay Boy until this post.

I believe some of the Presidents were repressed in the 70's but had 4 Pronged centres & smooth Label.

The Original press had the Anti-Slip raised diamond centre with a rougher texture to the Label.

Something in the back of my memory tells me that another 60's press had a similar 3 pronged centre.

Who pressed the Doctor Bird & Pyramid Label? they had similar 3 pronged cente

Jayboy/President did!

Social source share

I just checked - about 80% of my Doctor Bird's have 3 pronged centres but 80% of Pyramids have 4 pronged centres!

Thanks Pete.

Looks like a Mistake, In house on one of their own presses then.

I certainly haven't heard of this

"Baby, Do The Philly Dog" / Secret Agents that plays The Duck before.

Quite a Rare mispress I would suspect.

Social source share

I don't know whethre this only confuses the debate but the issue I have of BOY 59 by Freddie Scott has a three pronged centre whereas the demo has four? There are other issues with three pronged centres e.g. Boy 52,and 69.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!