Soulful Youth

Is there anyone out there who used to frequent the 'cont'/hole in the wall (on godwin street bradford) approx 1968-1970?. Or did you ever go to the L'Ambassador (bradford same sort of time), Lord Jims huddersfield?. Be nice to catch up with some of the crew that knocked about. If you remember Steve from the Ducchess pub (sackville street bradford) then get in touch. Also, does anyone know the whereabouts of Yogi and Reggie from Hemel Hempstead? They used to go to wigan (1973-1976ish) and they used to bring maggie back up to bradford when she had no lift. Be nice to hear from these lads or anyone who knows them. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Edited by dospan
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is there anyone out there who used to frequent the 'cont'/hole in the wall (on godwin street bradford) approx 1968-1970?.  Or did you ever go to the L'Ambassador (bradford same sort of time), Lord Jims huddersfield?.  Be nice to catch up with some of the crew that knocked about.  If you remember Steve from the Ducchess pub (sackville street bradford) then get in touch.  Also,  does anyone know the whereabouts of Yogi and Reggie from Hemel Hempstead? They used to go to wigan (1973-1976ish) and they used to bring maggie back up to bradford when she had no lift. Be nice to hear from these lads or anyone who knows them. Cheers. :thumbsup:

link

Yogi and Reg run a do, next one Hemel Hempstead Football Club - think 7 May? Dr Pickles if you on here, can you confirm please, thanks x also Reg (& Yogi) involved with Quality Hotel in St Albans, Herts - next one in June, again Dr Pickles update you more. They go to Plinston, Letchworth - next one this Sat and also can find them sometimes at Bisley. Hope that helps - a bit!

Social source share

Yogi and Reg run a do, next one Hemel Hempstead Football Club - think 7 May? Dr Pickles if you on here, can you confirm please, thanks x also Reg (& Yogi) involved with Quality Hotel in St Albans, Herts - next one in June, again Dr Pickles update you more.  They go to Plinston, Letchworth - next one this Sat and also can find them sometimes at Bisley.  Hope that helps - a bit!

link

Really appreciate your reply, its good to know they are still on the scene. I haven't seen these lads since the 1970s!, it would be great to see them again. Anyway, thanx and if you hear owt else (or know anyone who hears owt) would you let me know?. Much appreciated. Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Is there anyone out there who used to frequent the 'cont'/hole in the wall (on godwin street bradford) approx 1968-1970?. Or did you ever go to the L'Ambassador (bradford same sort of time), Lord Jims huddersfield?. Be nice to catch up with some of the crew that knocked about. If you remember Steve from the Ducchess pub (sackville street bradford) then get in touch.

Being a Bradford lad I used to hear tales of older lads like Kegsy going to the L'Ambassador. Andy Simpson his mate might have also gone as a teenager! Seem to think it was in a cellar under some terrace houses bottom of little horton lane? Regularly see Julian Bentley who used to frequent maybe even DJ'd at Lord Jims, also the infamous Dave Clegg from nottingham used to visit this club which was running at the same time as the wheel in Mancy town so I'm lead to believe. Was walking down godwin street mid 90s when they were refurbing the cafe that was the 'hole in the wall' and the old signage was clearly visible. Took a picture of it and if I can find it I'll post it up. Used to drink in the duchess with all the football lads late 70s/early 80s as well. It was boarded up last time I walked past it. Shame.

derek

Social source share

dospan - both Yogi and reg are still going and still hitting the dancefloor. Both will be at the plinston tomorrow night in sunny Letchworth, Herts. Both top guys and this despite Reg now looking like Dave Hill from Slade!!! Check the gallery under Plinston and you'll see many pics of him.

They do run quite a few great soul nights and can often be found with a huge smile slipping up my back passage.......to my house!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Being a Bradford lad I used to hear tales of older lads like Kegsy going to the L'Ambassador. Andy Simpson his mate might have also gone as a teenager! Seem to think it was in a cellar under some terrace houses bottom of little horton lane? Regularly see Julian Bentley who used to frequent maybe even DJ'd at Lord Jims, also the infamous Dave Clegg from nottingham used to visit this club which was running at the same time as the wheel in Mancy town so I'm lead to believe. Was walking down godwin street mid 90s when they were refurbing the cafe that was the 'hole in the wall' and the old signage was clearly visible. Took a picture of it and if I can find it I'll post it up. Used to drink in the duchess with all the football lads late 70s/early 80s as well. It was boarded up last time I walked past it. Shame.

derek

link

Derek Kegsy's only allowed out on Fridays nowadays :lol: Julian did used to DJ at Lord Jim's and is often to be found doing a bit in the NW again Prestwich, Bury etc etc Probably most likely to find any of the three at Brighouse nowadays :lol:

John

BTW Kegsy and Andy are still 18 ranting_1.gif honest :lol::lol:

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

Here is the ever youthfull Mr Simpson (taken in Australia a few months ago)

link

Hi. Just been looking at pic of Andy Simpson, cant have been a few months ago..he looks just the same as he did when he was 17!!. Does he live in australia? if not if you see him ask him if he remembers Steve Ridealgh from the Ducchess pub Sackville street bradford.. and has he still got my Gene Chandler rec (title)I can take of myself! (on black/green action). Thanx. Steve :D

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Hello my Friend. Dont know you but went to the Club in Bradford you mentioned once in the 60s. I was in the Navy at the time. Taken there by a friend on my way home on leave.

Thought you might like to know that some of the first underground 45s that were brought into the Country from the USA and Germany went to this club at that time. We took them there. They got played there.

Have seen your pals dancing at the Plinston.

I live in Cambridgeshire now.

Best regards Denis.

Social source share

Hello my Friend. Dont know you but went to the Club in Bradford you mentioned once in the 60s. I was in the Navy at the time. Taken there by a friend on my way home on leave.

Thought you might like to know that some of the first underground 45s that were brought into the Country from the USA and Germany went to this club at that time. We took them there. They got played there.

Have seen your pals dancing at the Plinston.

I live in Cambridgeshire now.

Best regards Denis.

link

Hi Denis. Which club in Bradford do you mean? the 'Hole-in-wall' or the L'Ambassador? and who did you go with?

Regards. Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Hi Denis. Which club in Bradford do you mean? the 'Hole-in-wall' or the L'Ambassador? and who did you go with?

Regards. Steve whistling.gif

link

Hello Steve.

Was taken to L Ambassador by an Irish friend of mine who lived in Halifax. I remember the very fast girls in that place. We were in the Royal Navy together. He was known as Knocker White. His family had somthing to do with the house were Jimmy Hendrick stayed in Halifax. They were all music crazy. He got me interested in Under Ground Soul Music and together we brought boxes of the stuff into the Country.

Nice to speak to you.

Best regards Denis Tither.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!