Jan Jones "independent Woman"

• Replies 13
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has this been booted ,  and if so ,  how do you tell the original from the boot ? 

Someone has also showed me a copy with labels reversed . Is that an original ?

link

Never booted?

Original is green and white label, although some argue that there is a rarer first issue on a red label.

Never seen either a red label or a boot myself (who would have bothered booting a record that was easy to come by at the time?).

WOOF!

Social source share

Never saw a reversed labels copy but assume they may well exist but its the same track both sides anyway but just

a spoken intro which is part 2 and it goes on for about 7 days..

But never booted just as the dog barked

also never seen the RED one..I think its a SOUL MYTH until someone shows me it I,ll belive its a legend.

regards gasher

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Never saw a reversed labels copy but assume they may well exist but its the same track both sides anyway but just

a spoken intro which is part 2 and it goes on for about 7 days..

But never booted just as the dog barked

also never seen the RED one..I think its a SOUL MYTH until someone shows me it I,ll belive its a legend.

regards gasher

link

I've seen a Red/Green copy. The Red part takes the place of the White at the top half of the label and bottom half is Green. OK, it was on ebay. I saw it about 2 years ago and it went for over $650 I think :D

The scan was clear, but I don't know how accurate the colours were, but it looked more of a Browny-Red than Red.

And it was completely battered. I think he listed it at either VG- or G+. The scan looked shocking, the vinyl was scuffed to buggery and couldn't believe what it went for :thumbsup::yes: God knows what it played like!

Incidently, having read the above posts, mine must have reversed labels, because the 'known' side is Part 2 on mine. I just never thought to question it, just assumed that Part 1 wasn't the good side!!! :D

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest Jamie

Nice one..dont suppose you save the scan of it did you??

Or am I the only saddo that does this on ebay..

Got a great collection of them now though.

the saddo Gasher

link

I knew you were gonna ask me that, Gash. :thumbsup:

Like a pudding I didn't. And often kick myself when trying to tell people that I've seen one :D

Someone must have one somewhere though.....

Jamie :yes:

Social source share

Incidently, having read the above posts, mine must have reversed labels, because the 'known' side is Part 2 on mine. I just never thought to question it, just assumed that Part 1 wasn't the good side!!!  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

Funnily enough i have heard Part 2 played out the last few times i have heard it.

Social source share

I think that when this turned up in the 80s (?) Ian Clark had something to do with it and maybe getting it re-pressed very soon after the original(very small) first press, there is also a LOU Ragland connection with the disc as i think it originates from Cleveland Ohio and may have been done just before lou moved to Las Vegas.

For what its worth I have never seen the "orig" and my copy plays the way it should !

Social source share

I've seen a Red/Green copy. The Red part takes the place of the White at the top half of the label and bottom half is Green. OK, it was on ebay. I saw it about 2 years ago and it went for over $650 I think  :unsure:

The scan was clear, but I don't know how accurate the colours were, but it looked more of a Browny-Red than Red.

And it was completely battered. I think he listed it at either VG- or G+. The scan looked shocking, the vinyl was scuffed to buggery and couldn't believe what it went for  :unsure:   :rolleyes:   God knows what it played like!

link

If the condition was that bad, couldn't it have been a normal label copy that had red wine spilt over it or summat?

Social source share

If the condition was that bad, couldn't it have been a normal label copy that had red wine spilt over it or summat?

link

The earlier releases on the label were red. Never seen a red Jan Jones, unless by a marker pen.

Ian did track down the label owner and bought a lot of copies in c 1983 - not sure if they were represses or just unsold copies from the guy's garage. Jimmy Brinson was also connected, and I heard Jan died in a car crash. We had a picture of her on the cover of Blackbeat playing her guitar. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

The earlier releases on the label were red. Never seen a red Jan Jones, unless by a marker pen.

Ian did track down the label owner and bought a lot of copies in c 1983 - not sure if they were represses or just unsold copies from the guy's garage. Jimmy Brinson was also connected, and I heard Jan died in a car crash. We had a picture of her on the cover of Blackbeat playing her guitar. biggrin.gif

link

Were they fully Red, Steve?

Or Red / White like the other Day-Wood releases?

I remember the one I saw going for a huge sum, surely can't have been a hoax? :lol:

Cheers,

Jamie

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Yes red and white stripes....

link

Wish I'd have saved the bloody scan now :angry:

Must have been a hoax then biggrin.gif , but a dear one at that :lol:

Cheers Steve,

Jamie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source