Demures - Raining Teardrops Brunswick Standard Issue

Hello All,

I've got a query about the Demures - Raining Teardrops Brunswick 45. I know the promo issue is worth quite a bit of £. I'm working with someone who has the promo copy. It's in VG condition. What's it going for these days in this condition?

Also, I've been in touch with someone else that has the Brunswick standard issue copy. Does the flip always have Jackie Wilson on the flip side? I'm looking at a collection that has the standard issue as part of the grouping, and haven't yet asked to see the flip side.

Thanks, everyone!

BritishMusicSoulFan

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hello All,

I've got a query about the Demures - Raining Teardrops Brunswick 45. I know the promo issue is worth quite a bit of £. I'm working with someone who has the promo copy. It's in VG condition. What's it going for these days in this condition?

Also, I've been in touch with someone else that has the Brunswick standard issue copy. Does the flip always have Jackie Wilson on the flip side? I'm looking at a collection that has the standard issue as part of the grouping, and haven't yet asked to see the flip side.

Thanks, everyone!

BritishMusicSoulFan

As far as I know it should never have jackie wilson on the b side and if it does, it must surely be a bootleg.

Probably looking at £300 for a real one

Social source share

55284 - The Demures - Raining Teardrops / He's Got Your Number

not a Jackie wilson in sight

Gasher

The only Brunswick copies that I know about are the Later Barbara Acklin / Jackie Wilson DEMO's

Never seen a Demures DEMO coupled with Jackie Wilson.

Brunswick_55379a_DJ.jpgBrunswick_55379b.jpg

Brunswick_9-78028a_DJ.jpgBrunswick_9-78028b_DJ.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Or you could get this really rare version:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-DEMURES-Raining-...VQQcmdZViewItem

Seriously - It's good to ask if you don't know as there are folk out there who will willing sell you something that isn't what its supposed to be.

Seems to be another rather large rash of 're-issues' :wave: finding their way onto Ebay again. . . .

Rich

Social source share

Hello Everyone,

Wow, thanks for the fast responses.

The reason I asked about the Jackie Wilson (I meant Johnny Howard -- oops!) on the flip is that in doing a few online searches, I saw a Demures Brunswick "promo" 45 that was listed on Ebay UK, I believe. It was listed as a promo w/Jackie Wilson on the flip, and it looked completely different from the promo copy I've seen in person. The one is:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNNY-HOWARD-The-ch...VQQcmdZViewItem

So, just to recap, the promo is about £300 in VG and the stock issue is ?

Many thanks, everyone! So much great help here!

BritMusicSoulFan

Social source share

Or you could get this really rare version:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-DEMURES-Raining-...VQQcmdZViewItem

Seriously - It's good to ask if you don't know as there are folk out there who will willing sell you something that isn't what its supposed to be.

Seems to be another rather large rash of 're-issues' :D finding their way onto Ebay again. . . .

Rich

There is some guy photocopying real labels and sticking them on to bootlegs, he does mention this on his listings but in somewhat smaller type than the main description :wave:

Really don't see the point of buying these things and making/selling them in this day and age is just ripping people off however you look at it. yes.gif

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Hello Everyone,

Wow, thanks for the fast responses.

The reason I asked about the Jackie Wilson (I meant Johnny Howard -- oops!) on the flip is that in doing a few online searches, I saw a Demures Brunswick "promo" 45 that was listed on Ebay UK, I believe. It was listed as a promo w/Jackie Wilson on the flip, and it looked completely different from the promo copy I've seen in person. The one is:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNNY-HOWARD-The-ch...VQQcmdZViewItem

So, just to recap, the promo is about £300 in VG and the stock issue is ?

Many thanks, everyone! So much great help here!

BritMusicSoulFan

I still only have Manships 3rd Edition, I must get an 4th Edition.

However, In the Third Edition

£250 DEMO

£350 Stock Copy

The Stock Copy is Virtually Impossible to find, Only ever seen a Scan on here.

Social source share

There is some guy photocopying real labels and sticking them on to bootlegs, he does mention this on his listings but in somewhat smaller type than the main description :wave:

Really don't see the point of buying these things and making/selling them in this day and age is just ripping people off however you look at it. :D

And they (I wonder who?) must be knocking them out at a rate of knots. Seems to be new ones appearing all the time in many Ebay shops and such like. Nasty little buggers!

Rich

Social source share

Hello Tedsoul,

Cheers for posting the Brunswick standard issue Demures 45. That is the one I've been looking at. I've never seen a stock copy either. I've seen the promo in person. So, just to recap, the stock issue Tedsoul posted a scan of is going for more than the promo issue? I'm just trying to avoid making a mistake. Thanks again for all of the great responses. So, the stock is going for about £450 these days?

Tedsoul, what is the condition of your copy?

Thanks, everyone!

BMSF

Social source share

Hello Tedsoul,

Cheers for posting the Brunswick standard issue Demures 45. That is the one I've been looking at. I've never seen a stock copy either. I've seen the promo in person. So, just to recap, the stock issue Tedsoul posted a scan of is going for more than the promo issue? I'm just trying to avoid making a mistake. Thanks again for all of the great responses. So, the stock is going for about £450 these days?

Tedsoul, what is the condition of your copy?

Thanks, everyone!

BMSF

I would say ex+ when i bought it the demos were 100 think i paid 125

Social source share

• 12 years later...
On 09/12/2007 at 17:47, Dave Pinch said:

as brian said, the canadian copy is ours bought off the bay a year ago.i thought it was a bargain

but judging by the recent ebay sale the demo seems to be £450

dave

Sorry I am late to this thread and I see it's still expensive to buy

I have a question though ...... who were the Demures ?

Social source share

The Demures were from Washington D.C. -sadly, that seems to be all that is known about them .The producer of their great and only 45' ,Clay Roberts, also produced at least one,if not all, of Ruby Johnson's early 45's on Neb's in DC in the early-mid 60's and was involved as a songwriter (and possibly singer too) in Lillian Claibornes' stable of Doo Wop  artists on the 'DC ' label  in Washington DC in the 50's

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Michael V said:

The Demures were from Washington D.C. -sadly, that seems to be all that is known about them .The producer of their great and only 45' ,Clay Roberts, also produced at least one,if not all, of Ruby Johnson's early 45's on Neb's in DC in the early-mid 60's and was involved as a songwriter (and possibly singer too) in Lillian Claibornes' stable of Doo Wop  artists on the 'DC ' label  in Washington DC in the 50's

Thanks for that, you have now taken me on a journey and lets see where it leads ?

I started searching for Clay Roberts and came up with this (he appeared to have an alias which may be connected as Lillian Claiborne is connect to the second link as is a certain Clayton Roberts)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PzghAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA487&lpg=PA487&dq=Clay+Roberts+music&source=bl&ots=hk4gg49hBW&sig=ACfU3U0PyOoQ_v09wm7inhECzBQQthmX0A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj79dOr2KTqAhXcSxUIHVOtCGoQ6AEwB3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=Clay Roberts music&f=false

https://doo-wop.blogg.org/ontarios-c31180886

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!