Soul Bowl Soul Packs 1977

Guest Malc Burton

As I regulary do when the mood takes me , I was going through old copies of Blues & Soul , and in the edition for February 15 - 28 , 1977 ( number # 219 ) , I had to smile at the advert placed by Soul Bowl .......

100 NORTHERN SOUL SINGLES ......... £ 11 - including postage & packing !!

Did anyone buy one of these bargains , and if so , what gem - or gems - came out of them ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As I regulary do when the mood takes me , I was going through old copies of Blues & Soul , and in the edition for February 15 - 28 , 1977 ( number # 219 ) , I had to smile at the advert placed by Soul Bowl .......

Did anyone buy one of these bargains , and if so , what gem - or gems - came out of them ?

Malc Burton

It would have been great to get them, shame I was only 10 years old at the time.

Social source share

It would have been great to get them, shame I was only 10 years old at the time.

My problem is that I honestly cannot remember buying any of these packs , as I usually bought other stuff from JA , and as a result , possibly never gave thought to doing so ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

I bought a 10 northern soulpack once, which I would guess at being around £2.50.

I remember the Innersection track being amongst them too.

"I'll Get Over It" Kenya Colins was another.

"You Ain't Ready" - Lou Courtney was another.

Along with a double A boot on LA COUPE of B.G.L.s "Getting Together" & Aristocrats "Lets Get Together Now".

I'll try and remember some more.

I never sent for another northern soul pack, so at the time I couldn't have been that impressed!

Social source share

I bought a few, probably the best (now) were Shelley Fisher - Girl I Love you (Dalya) and Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows (Golden Triangle), but I didn't really appreciate them until years later!

The packs had a lot of the less rare Ric Tic and Golden World sides, plus quite a lot of 70s stuff which was too modern/ disco for my tastes at the time.

Gave up buying them as was getting doublers - things like Voices of East Harlem- Cashing in, Jesse Fisher - You're not loving a beginner etc! Often wish now I had bought more. :thumbsup:

Alan

Edited by AlanB
Social source share

They were around £20 when I got some
:lol:
still good stuff though

Im sure
The Innersection
was in one

Remember buying The Innersection off the Pound Specials page one week
:thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

PS Bought a 'northern pack" in the mid 80s which included;

The Ringleaders "Baby What Has Happened"

James Robbins "I Can't Please You"

Darrow Fletcher "What Good Am I" & 'Infatuation"

Cheryl Burdell "Givng It All To You"

Cody Black "Going Going Gone"

er and another 95

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Malc Burton

I have bought quite a few soul packs over the years, as for Soul Packs from Soul Bowl they were brilliant, I seem to remember them being £10 but they could have been £11, records I remember being in them were:-

Yvonne Baker & The Sensations - I can't change - Junior.

George Kirkby - What can I do - Cadet.

Eula Cooper - Beggers can't be choosers - Note.

Rose Battiste - Holding Hands - Ric Tic.

and many more,

more recently Soul Packs from Anglo American are alright but everyone is more aware of the rare stuff but are still the odd bargain to be had, for instance records like:-

Rare Pleasure - Let me down easy - Cheri.

The Trilons - I'm the one - TAG.

I know they're not rare but they are worth more than £1 that they cost.

My favourite memories of buying records were buying off John Manships list about 25 years ago when he used to sell stuff at I think they were £2 each or 3 for a fiver, I got stuff like:-

Carol Anderson - Taking my mind off love / I'm not worried - Whip.

Jean Carter - I bet you / Love Hangover - Sunflower.

Art Posey - No more heartaches - Scope.

and many more.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

In the 70's there was a certain amount of derison for Soul Packs. It was thought that the only things which went in there were records which the seller had a few hundred copies of. So terms like 'it's a Soul Pack record' meant it was common and not that exciting at the time. Occasionally, someone would stumble into 'a Soul-Pack find' which were almost never taken seriously because there'd probably be hundreds of 'em.....

But times change LOL.......The Innersection record was a 50p staple for years........

Ian D

Social source share

I don't ever remember buying a 'Soul Bowl' soul pack, but I did used to buy the ones from Rotherham market, Malc (a few years before I had the record stall) in 1971/72.

They were 10 x 45's for £1.00 at the time.

Gems included:

Imaginations - I Love You More - Bacon Fat

Stairsteps - Playgirls Love - Windy C

Bobby Taylor - It's Growing - Gordy

Determinations - Bing Bong - King

Robert Moore - Cramp Your Style - Blue Candle

Little Johnny Taylor - How You fixed For Love - Ronn

Ollie Nightingale - You're leaving me - Stax

Joe Simon - When - SS7

Eddy G Giles - Losin Boy - Murco

Always found them a great way to build your collection up with 'imports', learn about those great labels and they formed the basis of my playlist down at the Youth Club!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Only soul pack I bought was full of Destiny records and assorted boots. 25 for £15 IIRC, mid 80s or so? Don't remember any decent stuff, though my Rosy Jones on Today may have come with that, not sure.

Social source share

In the 70's there was a certain amount of derison for Soul Packs. It was thought that the only things which went in there were records which the seller had a few hundred copies of. So terms like 'it's a Soul Pack record' meant it was common and not that exciting at the time. Occasionally, someone would stumble into 'a Soul-Pack find' which were almost never taken seriously because there'd probably be hundreds of 'em.....

But times change LOL.......The Innersection record was a 50p staple for years........

Ian D

I remember buying a Soul Pack 100 for £3. Might have been around the time they changed from Groove City to Soul Bowl

Amazing stuff for the Money. Some Rare Funk Too.

That Soul Pack was where I got the 2 copies of The Fabulous Dimensions, One Red, One Yellow.

4 copies of Peggy Gaines Sweet Way Of Living / Just To Satisfy My Baby & Much, Much More.

There were multiples, and If it was good It Didn't matter. Brilliant for Later Years. Wish I'd have bought more Now.

Not a Soul Bowl Soulpack, but I was In a Shop in the 70's where they were opening Packs of 10 You could Obviously only see 2 Records before opening.

I don't know where the Guy got them from but as the Shop owner was opening them he said, anyone want one of these It's not bad.

Freddie Chavez - They'll Never Know Why - LOOK DEMO. ( 2 COPIES ) 2 of us in the Shop = one each.

I bought another copy from Soul Bowl a couple of years Later, peace of mind I suppose, Both Genuine Vinyl Originals.

I didn't know the other lad in the Shop but talk about right place, right time, and a Mutual one copy each,

However eager we were, always thought that a measure of the people on our scene, strangers yet still friendly.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I also had bought loads of gems from Soul Bowl (also when they were called Groove City) from '73 onwards, things like Donna Coleman (£3), Mickie champion (£3) etc.. when Baby dont you weep was a quid, month in month out and no-one would play it at a nighter because it was cheap and common!

So I sent for the Soulpack (seem to remember it was £10 all in).

I remember half of it was 70's crap ,apart from Diane Jenkins - I need you (which I love),which I played for about 20 seconds each, then sold on ebay years later, but the rest were good ,

Dean Parrish-Bricks, broken bottles & sticks

Tina Britt-You're absolutely right,

Sandra Phillips-You succeeded

Tony Lamarr-Just in the nick of time

Four sonics-Tell me you're mine

Jackie Shane-In my tenement

Junior Wells-Cramp my style

Ethics-Standing in the darkness

Players-Get right,

plus many,many more

not bad for 10p each eh?

Edited by SOULFULHOUND
Social source share

I bought a 10 northern soulpack once, which I would guess at being around £2.50.

I remember the Innersection track being amongst them too.

"I'll Get Over It" Kenya Colins was another.

"You Ain't Ready" - Lou Courtney was another.

Along with a double A boot on LA COUPE of B.G.L.s "Getting Together" & Aristocrats "Lets Get Together Now".

I'll try and remember some more.

I never sent for another northern soul pack, so at the time I couldn't have been that impressed!

I read recently in a collectors magazine that

The La coupe "boot" as you say was actually a bona fide release to cope with the demand of the new york club scene..its a fully licenced release, piss poor quality though

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Heres one for you, not soul packs, but if you lived in Tameside during the 80ts and collected records you could get 30 for a quid, yes 30!! from Dave Stubbs in Hyde indoor market, and if you know Dave he is a Northern Soul fan himself, I got loads of 60 and 70ts from him, I know i wasn't the only one as you had to line up to look in the boxes, in fact i used to call in about three times a week. a massive load right across the board, soul, reggae, funk motown, rock, punk.......mind blowing. I still ask him w if he has any left!!!!....Nocker

Social source share

Remember being in John's Anderson's,Barn at the back of his house in about '79 (after he closed down his K.Lynn 'shop' - which was an terraced house!) and seeing two 45's taking up an entire two entire rows of his soul pack storage section. One was Roy Hamilton's 'Panic Is On' MGM Demos and the other being The Strides on Stride 'I Can't Get Along' which found popularity mid 70's for the instrumental side.

To expand slightly on an earlier response whereby it was pointed out that, as soul pack records, they were plentiful in supply (as witnessed with the above two 45's) - but where have the copies of the Strides disappeared to!?! Not seen one for sale on anywhere near a regulas basis... unless someone else knows any different?

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

I don't ever remember buying a 'Soul Bowl' soul pack, but I did used to buy the ones from Rotherham market, Malc (a few years before I had the record stall) in 1971/72.

They were 10 x 45's for £1.00 at the time.

Gems included:

Imaginations - I Love You More - Bacon Fat

Stairsteps - Playgirls Love - Windy C

Bobby Taylor - It's Growing - Gordy

Determinations - Bing Bong - King

Robert Moore - Cramp Your Style - Blue Candle

Little Johnny Taylor - How You fixed For Love - Ronn

Ollie Nightingale - You're leaving me - Stax

Joe Simon - When - SS7

Eddy G Giles - Losin Boy - Murco

Always found them a great way to build your collection up with 'imports', learn about those great labels and they formed the basis of my playlist down at the Youth Club!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I would have loved to have been there when you gave Robert Moore a spin ......

As always , Sean , Top man :lol: .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

just loving you,ruby andrews on zodiac was a soul pack thingy had loads of them kept one (thankfully)wrong tempo at the time along with a load of other tunes,gave away or traded the rest now a classic..imo

think thats the thing with many soul pack records, either wrong for the time, quantity (usually lots) in stock or simply stock that doesn't sell. Pretty much the same today.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I never had a pack from Soul bowl but i used to wait for list to come through the letter box on a thursday morning in the 80's(instead of going to school)

A few things i remember buying were

Guitar Ray 3 quid

Carol Anderson On whip 3 quid

Danny Harrison On Coral

Ringleaders On Mpac

Servicemen

anthony & the aqua lads

bobby angelle on Money

Social source share

Malc Burton

I remember getting a few soul packs in the 70ts, you took a rick in those days, but some of the stuff that came out of them were a bit 'hit or miss' i remember getting 'mill evans' i gotta have your love, 'the holidays' watch out girl, not big sellers but great tracks, also a lot of stuff by james brown on king & atlantic

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!