Crossover Highly Recomended

Guest Baz

so lets have some recomendations of some real quality crossover not nothing mega rare things that are easy enough to pick up.

i'll kick off with two

peggy gains - sweet way of living - ref o ree £15-20

the mellow fellows - my baby needs me - Dot £40 ish

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Jamie

so lets have some recomendations of some real quality crossover not nothing mega rare things that are easy enough to pick up.

i'll kick off with two

peggy gains - sweet way of living - ref o ree    £15-20

the mellow fellows - my baby needs me - Dot  £40 ish

link

Hi Mr Bond.

Played this in my 2nd set at Sheridans last Saturday. Great tune :thumbsup:

Jamie

Social source share

Hi Mr Bond.

Played this in my 2nd set at Sheridans last Saturday. Great tune  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

yeah absolutly brill keep spinning it suprisinly not that well knowi had a few people come up to look what it is :yes:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

I GOT TO LOVE YOU - JESSE BOON -

SOUL-PO-TION. BOUT £15

I THINK YOU GOT YOUR FOOLS MIXED UP - DOUBLE SHOT - £5-£10 ISH

(GOT MINE ON ITALIAN ISSUE £2!!)

BABY I NEED YOU T.J.WILLIAMS & 2 SHADES OF SOUL - JOSIE. BOUT £200

EXPENSIVE I KNOW, BUT HAD TO PUT IT ON ITS JUST SHEER CLASS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Little Sherman & The Mod Swingers - The Price Of Love - SAGPORT or ABC

£10-ish any day of the week.

And don't forget...

Betty Wright - Baby Sitter - ALSTON

...a fantastic tune which surprisingly few people on the northern scene seems to know about. Should never cost more than £3-£5.

Attaching an RA of Little Sherman below.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

i'll kick off with two

link

Mello Fellows is AWESOME! got mine buy now $10 on ebay, have seen them make $100ish.

A couple of recommendations from me...

Steeplechase "Never coming back" (Ploydor) - £75ish, one for sale at £50 in sales section.

Freddie waters "Singing a new song" (Curtom) - £15ish, been out on Re-Fo-Ree but this is quite hard to find.

Nate Evans "The look on your face" (DPG) - Shite quality but a good record, and one that should cost no more than £40 (bought mine from Trouty for £31 :thumbsup: ). Ok so it's not the best version, but it's the only one you're gonna get for less that £400 :D

Billy :yes:

Social source share

Baz do you want to sell me that lovely Natural Four :thumbsup: Pm me

link

well i do want big dons rebelion did you ever find one we had this discustion a quite a few months back

Social source share

yeah my mate told me but looked this morning and cant find it must have had an offer and been took off im not looking to sell it just yet not even had it a year but when i do its yours

Social source share

Guest glyn-w

i'll kick off with two

link

Hi Baz . one that come`s to mind and dose it for me is...Clydene Jackson :: I Need Your Love.. it Origionaly came out on LP (Fresh) but you can get it on a British Joe-Boy single quite hard to come by i think but not expensive . Think the LP is abought £30-40 and the single is £10-12

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Maurice Jackson - Lucky Fellow (Candle Lite) & (Lakeside)

George Benson - My Woman's Good To Me (A&M)

Glenn Watts - My Little Plaything (Bunky)

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Mello Fellows is AWESOME! got mine buy now $10 on ebay, have seen them make $100ish.

A couple of recommendations from me...

Steeplechase "Never coming back" (Ploydor) - £75ish, one for sale at £50 in sales section.

Freddie waters "Singing a new song" (Curtom) - £15ish, been out on Re-Fo-Ree but this is quite hard to find.

Nate Evans "The look on your face" (DPG) - Shite quality but a good record, and one that should cost no more than £40 (bought mine from Trouty for £31 whistling.gif ). Ok so it's not the best version, but it's the only one you're gonna get for less that £400 :shhh:

Billy :ohmy:

link

Got the Steeplchase this week via some trades

Love the Nate Evans version crackes like a bugger at the begining is this the norm for the record then?

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Don't know, mine's just really bassy and muffled. Quality of flip is fine though :shhh:

Steeplechase is just brilliant :ohmy:

link

Remember buying the Steeplechase 45 as a new release in the 70's; a nice 45.

Couple of cheapies that you ALL should have in your collections, and SHAME on you if you haven't at a max of 15 sterling a throw.........................................

Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home - Opex

Joyce Jones - Make up your mind - Atco (there is an earlier indie release of this on a red coloured label which fetches a little more) reminds me of Ann Sexton on 77

Cheers

Johnny Mack wink.gif:Pwhistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Remember buying the Steeplechase 45 as a new release in the 70's; a nice 45.

Couple of cheapies that you ALL should have in your collections, and SHAME on you if you haven't at a max of 15 sterling a throw.........................................

Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home - Opex 

Joyce Jones - Make up your mind - Atco (there is an earlier indie release of this on a red coloured label which fetches a little more) reminds me of Ann Sexton on 77

Cheers

Johnny Mack  :ohmy:   :shhh:   whistling.gif

link

Pauline Shivers - Won't you come back home - Opex one of the best 15 quidders you'll find and a Keith Money fave

Social source share

I asked Dean Parrish about the Steeplechase record at Cleethorpes a couple of summers back. He said that he recorded an entire albums worth of vocals for them which remained unissued, and that he considered these tracks the best of his career.

Social source share

Guest stromberg

i'll kick off with two

link

it's still a mystery to me why Oscar Weather's "Just to prove I love you" on Top&Bottom is so little mentioned/talked about, a great, great crossover track. there must be really a lot of copies around, because it is still easy to pick up or is it not that well known??

Same goes for Tony Lampkin "He's a better liar than me" on Jemkl

two more:

Johnny Adams" You're a bad habit, baby" SSS, great title, isn't it smile.gif

and:

Tyrone Davis "All the waiting is not in vain" on Dakar fantastic record

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share

i'll kick off with two

link

Mellow fellows is excellent- Got one recently but in bad condition but plays ok

A Good one for me is - Get yourself together- The Younghearts on Pick a hit

Not sure value as I have not seen it often- maybe someone could help!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Here's a few cheapies to add to the list not sure if they have been listed before and to be quite honest i'm too fcuinkg lazy to check swoon.gif

Basic Black & Pearl - There'll come a time there'll come a day - Polydor US or Bus Stop UK (quite hard on UK)

Deniece Chandler & Lee Sain - Hey Baby - Toddlin Town - Brill and sooo cheap

Bobby Moore - Call me (your anything man) - Hot Line (1st) or Scepter (2nd)

Laura Lee - (If you want to try love again) Remember me - Hot Wax/Invictus superb Eloise Laws soundalike but better IMO

Shirly Brown - Yes sir brother - Truth

Luke Day - Love Lines - Renfro old Stafford spin i think sounds great now :thumbsup:

Fourth Day - You Turn me on/On My Way Up - DT YTMO is the same as Emanual Laskey's I'd rather leave on my feet but better and the the flip is great too :thumbsup:

Lew Kirton - Come On With It - Marlin simply superb

Catherine Miller - Don't waste your time - Tyson another great little choon

Trouty

Social source share

Fourth Day "You Turn Me On" is NOT the same as Emanuel Laskey! It has a very similar backing track and arrangement (different take though I am sure) but totally different lyrics. A very weak and cheesy tune when compared to Emanuel Laskey, and certainly not better IMO. Did not Fourth Day do an actual version of "I'd Rather Leave On My Feet" which is pretty decent? I am sure I have seen that at some point, or maybe not, can't recall. I would like a sound file of "I'd Rather Leave On My Feet" by Fourth Day, if there is such a tune? I think there is anyway :thumbsup: . Emanuel Laskey also comes in two rather different versions, the green and silver label versions are very different with the silver one having a more 'modern' sound.

Social source share

Mine's Mean Green, so I'm guessing Buss is rarer :thumbsup: am I right?

Still no joy getting a copy of Satin :thumbsup: anyone got one for sale/trades? email: l_l_m_w@hotmail.co.uk

oooh nearly got me 1000 posts badge - only 4 to go :dance: :dance:

link

You are right on Buss being much rarer than Mean Green

Satin - I presume you mean "Your loves got me"? In which case cannot help.

Social source share

i'll kick off with two

link

5 KEYS - STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING [ LANDMARK ] £10 to £15

[ just brilliant , and so soulful ]

HOLLY MAXWELL - WINTER GO AWAY [ SMIT - WHIT ] £10 ?

[ 2 GREAT SIDES ]

Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Fourth Day "You Turn Me On" is NOT the same as Emanuel Laskey! It has a very similar backing track and arrangement (different take though I am sure) but totally different lyrics. A very weak and cheesy tune when compared to Emanuel Laskey, and certainly not better IMO. Did not Fourth Day do an actual version of "I'd Rather Leave On My Feet" which is pretty decent? I am sure I have seen that at some point, or maybe not, can't recall. I would like a sound file of "I'd Rather Leave On My Feet" by Fourth Day, if there is such a tune? I think there is anyway :thumbsup: . Emanuel Laskey also comes in two rather different versions, the green and silver label versions are very different with the silver one having a more 'modern' sound.

link

Pedantic tw*t :thumbsup: yes OK not exactly the same but the intro is almost identical and the backing throughout very similar albeit a more modern arrangement. It was just a little guide to help people who don't know it get a feel for what it's like. The production team is the same on both records and it's on the same label but hey what does that count for, of course there is also the much rarer version of YTMO by the Magnificents also on DT (Dennis Talley's label who was married to Darlene Love btw)

Trouty

Social source share

Mellow fellows is excellent- Got one recently but in bad condition but plays ok

A Good one for me is - Get yourself together- The Younghearts on Pick a hit

Not sure value as I have not seen it often- maybe someone could help!

link

afraid a tenner for The Younghearts,great record,

I have a M- copy of Peggy Gaines if anyone wants to try it,£15 dlvd UK,

PM me if interested.

I also have a M- copy of the Five Keys ''stop,what you're doing to me'' for £20 ,its the rarer coloured vinyl as well.

glad to see people talking about the type of records I collect !! :thumbsup:

Edited by headsy
Social source share

Guest Adam G

Three Degrees-Find my way-Roulette

much superior slower original of the Cameo tune big in the late 7ts.

T S U Toronados- Got to get through to you+ what good am I Atlantic

Masters of soul -do you really love me-Ovide

Little Milton-Let me back in -Stax not really xover but just about the best 7ts record for a £5!

Adam

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!