First £100 Record And £1000 Record

I sold a couple of Vickie Baines at Wigan for £100 each back when it was being played. That was a lot then so could be.

One of buyers was a big tall guy but no idea who he was but he only bought "big" 45s. Not seen him for years so I guess he dropped off. Someone may remember him on here.

I bought CODs off Richard for £100 in maybe 80/81 but that was £100 worth of 12"s and 70's. That's not what you're thinking of is it Chalky.

Also wasn't there some rumour about Richard Temple selling for £80 back in very early 70's.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

I sold a couple of Vickie Baines at Wigan for £100 each back when it was being played. That was a lot then so could be.

One of buyers was a big tall guy but no idea who he was but he only bought "big" 45s. Not seen him for years so I guess he dropped off. Someone may remember him on here.

I bought CODs off Richard for £100 in maybe 80/81 but that was £100 worth of 12"s and 70's, Chalky. That's not what you're thinking of is it Chalky.

Also wasn't there some rumour about Richard Temple selling for £80 back in very early 70's.

ROD

thinking of the time Jonathon sold FW to Kev Roberts (?) foe £200 and or 12" singles.

Which CODs Rod? Heard the rumour of the Richard Temple too.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Sold a Lyn Varnado - Wash and Wear Love - Gator to Colin Curtis in 1976 for 100 pounds. May not have been the first 100 pound record but it was a lot at the time !

Social source share

thinking of the time Jonathon sold FW to Kev Roberts (?) foe £200 and or 12" singles.

Which CODs Rod? Heard the rumour of the Richard Temple too.

"She's fire". I was at Wigan when Jonathon had Frank Wilson with him one night. He was with Dave Raistrick. He wanted £500 then. No idea when it was. No idea when I sold Baines either but it was masive at the time.

ROD

Social source share

Pretty sure it was Robby Lawson - Burning sensation - Kyser that was the first to fetch £1000, Frank Wilson didn't come up for sale for a while after.

Spot on... Robby Lawson was definately the first £1,000 Northern Soul 45 (my copy cost a few bob less rolleyes.gif ).

Cigarette Ashes set the record at the time when it went for £180 circa '71/72. (Then Jay Boy put it out 4 weeks later).

And I believe Leon Haywood "Baby Reconsider" was the first £15 45 a couple of years earlier.

First 100 quider.... no idea.... must have been loads changed hands at that price around the same time.

Social source share

Spot on... Robby Lawson was definately the first £1,000 Northern Soul 45 (my copy cost a few bob less rolleyes.gif ).

Cigarette Ashes set the record at the time when it went for £180 circa '71/72. (Then Jay Boy put it out 4 weeks later).

And I believe Leon Haywood "Baby Reconsider" was the first £15 45 a couple of years earlier.

First 100 quider.... no idea.... must have been loads changed hands at that price around the same time.

" BR " was first played / discovered by Carl Dene in 1968 , and the record was certainly one of the first - if not the first - " big money " import records on the scene .......

" CA " was for a time , the most talked about and sought after record on the scene , which I seem to recall , was sold for £80 ; What is more interesting about the record , is that the original owner of the disc loaned it to to JayBoy ( for a small " consideration " ) so they could replicate it for the release , returning it when the job was done , therefore enabling its' owner to offer it for sale ......

It is rumoured that the buyer of the record nearly committed suicide upon hearing of its' release , and crossed the seller off his christmas card list ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Didn't JM pay £180 for James Fountain , heard that Jimmy Conwell went for £80 back in the day [ Minshull ? ] Best,Eddie

It was sold at The Torch , but I do not think the buyer was KM .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

It was sold at The Torch , but I do not think the buyer was KM .......

Malc Burton

I have been on the telling bone ( there's one for all the Catweazle fans out there ) , who seems to think it was KM who bought " Cigarette Ashes " .....

Can / will someone confirm this ? ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Surely it was Ian Dewhirst who's on here who bought CA and I think it was £180 which was crazy because it about doubled the top price previously and seemed a bit excessive

Dave Burton was going to sell Time's A Wasting to Minsh for about £100 around 1973 at the Torch but someone found out Dave had done a couple of acetates and the price dropped to something like £60

Social source share

Surely it was Ian Dewhirst who's on here who bought CA and I think it was £180 which was crazy because it about doubled the top price previously and seemed a bit excessive

Dave Burton was going to sell Time's A Wasting to Minsh for about £100 around 1973 at the Torch but someone found out Dave had done a couple of acetates and the price dropped to something like £60

I have just come off the phone to young Foggy , who denies - and confirms - emphatically that it was NOT him who bought CA , as it was just before his time , and IF it had been him , he certainly - as being a Yorkshireman as myself - would not have paid £180 for said recording ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

There were a hell of a lot of gear deals for records then so the price would depend on the market value of red and browns to some extent!

LOL.......5 a quid laugh.gif .....but there was one occasion in the late 70's when a fella robbed a RIKER van and he had thousands ...r/b ,g/b, b/b, w/b's....so we got 70 quids worth 10 a quid.....oh happy days lol :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

TONY PARKER paid a grand for footsee........around 86/87 Ibought gwen owens w/d of timmy boy for a grand and was going up to tod to buy lady in green for 15 hundred...when I believe a certain nidge parker gazzumpt me by paying 3 grand for it .this resulted in MARTIN KOPPELL ringing me to say sorry.oh well water under the bridge. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Oi! Don't you besmerch my name by suggesting I'd pay double for something Ady! I'm a Yorkshireman and well-known for buying stuff for 20p which later would top £100 - a habit I've never managed to get out of LOL....

The "Cigarette Ashes" story was slightly before my time (I did buy it on Jay-Boy) but I heard the horror story which always made me double-careful when buying high-priced stuff in the future.

I think the Robbie Lawson story is correct. Didn't Colin buy it off "Disco" Bob Catanneo from San Francisco?

And the James Fountain story was definitely Johhny Manship. It was the most wanted record at the time and I think he bought it off Colin if my memory serves me well. I also thought the figure was nearer £500. Johnny was driving me nuts in those days 'cos he was targeting the same records as me and usually winning them - James Fountain, the Anderson Brothers and Bernie Williams to name a few. One of the reasons why I decided to go off to the States and find 'em myself LOL...I'm sure John will confirm the James Fountain story......

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Oi! Don't you besmerch my name by suggesting I'd pay double for something Ady! I'm a Yorkshireman and well-known for buying stuff for 20p which later would top £100 - a habit I've never managed to get out of LOL....

The "Cigarette Ashes" story was slightly before my time (I did buy it on Jay-Boy) but I heard the horror story which always made me double-careful when buying high-priced stuff in the future.

I think the Robbie Lawson story is correct. Didn't Colin buy it off "Disco" Bob Catanneo from San Francisco?

And the James Fountain story was definitely Johhny Manship. It was the most wanted record at the time and I think he bought it off Colin if my memory serves me well. I also thought the figure was nearer £500. Johnny was driving me nuts in those days 'cos he was targeting the same records as me and usually winning them - James Fountain, the Anderson Brothers and Bernie Williams to name a few. One of the reasons why I decided to go off to the States and find 'em myself LOL...I'm sure John will confirm the James Fountain story......

Best,

Ian D

think it was £300 biggrin.gif

Social source share

think it was £300 biggrin.gif

Well, there's only two people who would know and that's Johnny and Colin! There was a lot of mystique in those days about the prices which were paid. No one wanted to overpay but, on the other hand, if you HAD to have a record then you'd really push the boat out.

Also, I think this period was when the prices really started going nuts. I've think I've written about it elsewhere on here, but as an example, Bernie Wiliams went from £40 to £120 plus a World Column and Rosey Jones I believe totalling aprox £150. And that was over the period of a week! This was a bidding war between myself and Mr Manship which unfortunately Johnny won. One reason why I never decry some of the prices that Johnny gets these days, is because I can remember a time when he was happy to pay BIG prices for big records, so good luck to him some 32 years later I say!

Ian D

Social source share

Best,

Ian D

Sorry Ian, I'd have sworn that was true until now. I blame the Northern Soul grapevine.

Social source share

Anybody know what the first £100 record was?

And the first £1000 record was?

I bet some wise soulie will know :lol:

Kev wicked.gif

I think I remember a thing about an original copy of 'the jades' I'm where it at, being sold for £100 plus a sports car??? can anyone comfirm this, thanks, steve

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Well, there's only two people who would know and that's Johnny and Colin! There was a lot of mystique in those days about the prices which were paid. No one wanted to overpay but, on the other hand, if you HAD to have a record then you'd really push the boat out.

Also, I think this period was when the prices really started going nuts. I've think I've written about it elsewhere on here, but as an example, Bernie Wiliams went from £40 to £120 plus a World Column and Rosey Jones I believe totalling aprox £150. And that was over the period of a week! This was a bidding war between myself and Mr Manship which unfortunately Johnny won. One reason why I never decry some of the prices that Johnny gets these days, is because I can remember a time when he was happy to pay BIG prices for big records, so good luck to him some 32 years later I say!

Ian D

shortly after john bought the record ..it was bootlegged and I believe john stopped collecting,might be wrong, help me out here mr.m

all the best tezza

Social source share

As far as I can remember JM was reputed to have paid £170 for James Fountain 'Seven Day Lover' only to suffer the same fate as the earlier 'Cigarette Ashes' buyer when it was released in the UK on Cream shortly afterwards. It must have been in 1976 as the Cream issue has that copyright date.

Social source share

shortly after john bought the record ..it was bootlegged and I believe john stopped collecting,might be wrong, help me out here mr.m

all the best tezza

This was put me off more than anything you would get a great sound sell it to a genuine collector at a reasonable price and within a few weeks it was booted I felt really bad. These customers had dealt with me for years some since 1968 and trusted me so when this happened I felt guity and for the new soulies when this happened the sound was devalued overnight(not like the purist scene we have today) cheers Brian

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

On a similar note, there's long been a rumour on the scooter scene that a copy of 'The Airplane Song' (?) was swapped for a custom Lambretta in the early/mid 80s. Anyone know anything about this?

Social source share

As far as I can remember JM was reputed to have paid £170 for James Fountain 'Seven Day Lover' only to suffer the same fate as the earlier 'Cigarette Ashes' buyer when it was released in the UK on Cream shortly afterwards. It must have been in 1976 as the Cream issue has that copyright date.

I finnished up with the James Fountain,sold it years later for £40.

Social source share

On a similar note, there's long been a rumour on the scooter scene that a copy of 'The Airplane Song' (?) was swapped for a custom Lambretta in the early/mid 80s. Anyone know anything about this?

I do not know about that , I was led to believe that it went for cash , with the figure around £1500.00 .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I certainly heard the Cigarette Ashes £180 story, either at the Wheatsheaf or from B&S. Don't know whether it was true or not though.

No it wasn't true Paul, as somebody said (Malc B?) it was £80, the buyer wasn't mentioned at the time but I thought it was Keith Minshull

Social source share

I might have sold the first £100 plus UK label record in the 70's ..at a Coalville all-nighter I flogged New Wherry a London demo of "Open The Door To Your Heart"/"Our Love Is In The Pocket" - Darell Banks for £125.

The unique thing about it was that the titles and artist credits were TYPED ON...I kicked myself the second I sold it.

And in 76 I sold "No One Else Can Take Your Place" - The Inspirations (Breakthrough) at a Ritz all-dayer for around £140, i can remember James Fountain going for a lot around the same time.

Social source share

I might have sold the first £100 plus UK label record in the 70's ..at a Coalville all-nighter I flogged New Wherry a London demo of "Open The Door To Your Heart"/"Our Love Is In The Pocket" - Darell Banks for £125.The unique thing about it was that the titles and artist credits were TYPED ON...I kicked myself the second I sold it.

And in 76 I sold "No One Else Can Take Your Place" - The Inspirations (Breakthrough) at a Ritz all-dayer for around £140, i can remember James Fountain going for a lot around the same time.

I seem to recall that there was quite a bit of bartering between Nev and Yourself , before the afore mentioned figure was decided upon .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I distinctly remember a black echoes special on cleethorpes, maybe 1976. the story broke the news, to the wider community, of james fountain changing hands for 250 quid, but didn't mention who'd actually bought it.

this is like chinese bloody whispers!

j m bought it , dont no the price tho

Social source share

Guest mel brat

So when exactly did the price drop so dramatically on James Fountain? I know that Soul Bowl had lots of copies @£2.50 - £3, and I'm almost certain that was in the late 70s. (C.1976/7?) Maybe even before the UK issue on Cream even!

I also remember Dave Godin writing about the "£80" price tag on "Cigarette Ashes" while mentioning several Jay Boy UK issues in his column - (though I remembered it as being "Oh My Darlin" by Jackie Lee, not "Cigarette Ashes") Then again, I heard years later that the price the guy had actually paid was £8, not £80! (Still a fairly large amount in 1971/2!) :lol::D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!