First £100 Record And £1000 Record

good angel

What about The Crow on Inner Ear ? Pretty sure Dave Godin sold this for a lot of money .I remember Neil Rushton telling me he bought the rights for The Crow for about half the price it was going for at the time !! Can you confirm Neil ? Best ,Eddie

I haven't got access to the paperwork right now,but part of the the conract was reporoduced with an article I did about Inferno for manifesto. I think deal was for US 500 Dollars and for that they insisted I bought the rights outright - they would not do a licence that run out after so many years which was the normal deal. I still actually own worldwide rigths to the master recording.

Neil

Social source share

I haven't got access to the paperwork right now,but part of the the conract was reporoduced with an article I did about Inferno for manifesto. I think deal was for US 500 Dollars and for that they insisted I bought the rights outright - they would not do a licence that run out after so many years which was the normal deal. I still actually own worldwide rigths to the master recording.

Neil

Ah, well this could sort another answer from another thread out too then........

Hi Neil,

Were the Crow a black band, multi-racial or a white rock act? Nobody seems too sure.........?

Best,

Ian

PS I've been trying to ring you for several weeks now. Is all OK?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

LOL.......5 a quid :lol: .....but there was one occasion in the late 70's when a fella robbed a RIKER van and he had thousands ...r/b ,g/b, b/b, w/b's....so we got 70 quids worth 10 a quid.....oh happy days lol :D

Those were the days eh, was at wigan ron pedley was talking to a lad who offered him frankie beverly on fairmount for twenty quid,ronnie asked him to bring it the week after for him, only problem was week after ron was barbed, n when the kid took him the record ron told him to get f****ked along with other barb fillied abuse :Dlaugh.gif He was sick when i told him what he`d done though.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I sold a couple of Vickie Baines at Wigan for £100 each back when it was being played. That was a lot then so could be.

One of buyers was a big tall guy but no idea who he was but he only bought "big" 45s. Not seen him for years so I guess he dropped off. Someone may remember him on here.

I bought CODs off Richard for £100 in maybe 80/81 but that was £100 worth of 12"s and 70's. That's not what you're thinking of is it Chalky.

Also wasn't there some rumour about Richard Temple selling for £80 back in very early 70's.

ROD

I paid 100 quid for vickie baines in 79/80 off searling, then week after bought cecil washington off colly from selby for eighty qiud, back to vickie baines the week after buying it went into the record bar at wigan used to buy all my records off dave withers so allways looked through his box first, first five records all vickie baines all photo copies, my arse twitched slightly :lol::Dbiggrin.gif

Social source share

think FW was few 100 quid and load of 12" records and was some years later when sold on again.

The ultimate tail of embarresment, new nothing about frank wilson back then, still thought it was eddie foster, looking through jonathan woodliffe`s sales box at wigan pulled out frank wilson asked how much, he just said four mate, so i passed him a five pound note, promptly got back NO MATE FOUR HUNDRED on wich i promptly dissapeared into the shadows curled up n died :lol::Dlaugh.gif:D

Social source share

I might have sold the first £100 plus UK label record in the 70's ..at a Coalville all-nighter I flogged New Wherry a London demo of "Open The Door To Your Heart"/"Our Love Is In The Pocket" - Darell Banks for £125.

The unique thing about it was that the titles and artist credits were TYPED ON...I kicked myself the second I sold it.

And in 76 I sold "No One Else Can Take Your Place" - The Inspirations (Breakthrough) at a Ritz all-dayer for around £140, i can remember James Fountain going for a lot around the same time.

pete widdison used to have a darrell banks with typed on credits, could it be the same copy

Social source share

Got kids this weekend mate, but hey got me driving test on 27th so will be down for defo, Back to thread didnt nolan chance on bunky sell for a lot of money back then?

F**K ME....mad harry behind the wheel of a car, still, could be worse, could be patto..anyway back to thread, ive never seen a bunky copy, would be nice if someone could post up a scan, i remember dave greet paying £150 for searlings robby lawson around 1980

Social source share

F**K ME....mad harry behind the wheel of a car, still, could be worse, could be patto..anyway back to thread, ive never seen a bunky copy, would be nice if someone could post up a scan, i remember dave greet paying £150 for searlings robby lawson around 1980

I was well fed up when dave raistrick had a copy of larry clinton for 115 quid, n i only had 110 quid with me by the time i`d scrabbled round for a fiver he`d sold it DOH! :lol:

Social source share

I was well fed up when dave raistrick had a copy of larry clinton for 115 quid, n i only had 110 quid with me by the time i`d scrabbled round for a fiver he`d sold it DOH! :rolleyes:

I bought a larry Clinton of Clarkie when i got it it was warped gave him a call to complain he said send it back ill send you another he had 3 copies :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I do not know about that , I was led to believe that it went for cash , with the figure around £1500.00 .......

Malc Burton

Many thanks for that Malc, I'd take a guess that the scooter was sold to fund the purchase and the story got twisted perhaps?

Another urban myth (possibly) nailed :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Were the Crow a black band, multi-racial or a white rock act? Nobody seems too sure.........?

I'm pretty sure" The Crow "is different to the white rock band "Crow"

Social source share

I distinctly remember a black echoes special on cleethorpes, maybe 1976. the story broke the news, to the wider community, of james fountain changing hands for 250 quid, but didn't mention who'd actually bought it.

this is like chinese bloody whispers!

100% right on the Black echoes Special (issue no2 if my memory serves me right!) Great feature on Cleethorpes pier 1st anniversary. It names john Manship as the buyer of 7 day lover at £180 as he was "having orgasams" evrytime he heard it ! Also mentions The tramps AKA The Volcanoes appearing. happy days.

I know Chris Marriot spent £100 on "Lady in green" at The Notts Palais around 1978 ish (off Sam I think)

There is also an interesting feature in Shades of Soul Jan 84 issue no1 where Derek states "if youve got £100 and are willing to spend it on just one record take your pick from this list of the following US mega-rarities" (if they ever come for sale that is !)

Gwen Owens "wanted & needed" Velgo White demo

Frank Wilson "Do I love you" Soul

Jimmy Burns "I really love you" Erica

Yvonne Vernee "Just like you did me" Sonbert

Larry |Clinton "Wanted in 3 states" Dynamo

Magnetics "Lady in green" Bonnie

Robbie Lawson "Burning sensation" Kyser

Del Larks " Job opening" Queen City DEMO

William Powell "Heartaches souvenirs" Power House

Norma Jenkins "The aeroplane song" Maltesse

Executive 4 "you got a good thing going"

John & The weirdest "No time/"Cant get over" Tie

Ramonna Collins "Youve been cheatin'" Clarks

Court davis "try to think" East Coast

Chessmen c/u "Like I never did before"

Derek also says "I personally could not bring myself to spend that amount (£100) on one record" EEEE lad spoken like a true Yorkshireman ! :shades:

Rob

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 13 years later...

Just read through the comments,i would say that the first 1k record was magnetics lady in green,i recall dave evison radio show on signal,having a guest dj on (maybe butch)?  And saying it was the first record to sell for a grand and the 45 looked like a bad day at sea! 

Social source share

That 7 day lover story was a big talking point.

Seemed an age when £30 was big money for a tune, and about a weeks wages.

Bernie Williams, Smith Brothers, all the RCA white demos, and this prize possession..

Had fell off the scene when £100 was the norm, and £1000 was and is unthinkable.

Could be a Yorkshire thing.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My memory is a little fuzzy now, but I seem to recall when I was doing the Stafford interviews at one point Pat Brady and I went off on a tangent talking about how much we'd spent on tunes that were believed to be rare. I'm fairly certain that Pat said the first time he'd ever heard of a thousand pound cash money only deal (i.e. no records or cars/scooters/fishing equipment etc included in the deal), was when he personally had £1000 in notes counted into his hand. I think the record concerned was Junior McCants, and I think the buyer was Gary Spencer. Now as I say my memory isn't that reliable, it could have been Esther Grant or some other monster rarity from the Stafford era.
This would have been a big jump from only a few years before (3/4 years) when one of the fanzines wrote of a record breaking deal where Magnetics Lady In Green had changed hands for £180, and it was nearly ten years later that I was offered a big time rarity for a grand and I shocked myself even considering buying it :D (that was Bobby James - I was nuts for the instrumental side)

Social source share

I recall Kenny Smith’s ‘O Lord’ on GAR selling for £200 (or just over) at the time it was spun at Wigan - not sure when exactly, but possibly 1975/1976. In those days, £25 a week was a typical wage. You could buy a leather bomber jacket for £20 and a long trench-coat for £35. In those days, you had to save up for ordinary items - to buy a TV, you paid in instalments over a year or two. So, to learn of records selling for awesome sums in the 70’s was just unbelievable. The ultra-high prices paid in the 70’s could be explained or justified if the buyer was a DJ and could recoup the outlay in a month of bookings.

Social source share

On 20/04/2021 at 22:12, Dobber said:

Haha..danny moore-somebody new valued the same as don gardner cheating kind and jd bryant wont be coming back all at 1500 quid! 

It was great when all those Danny Moores turned up. Gave all us mere mortals the opportunity to own it, and the best of the three you mentioned. Not that the other two are too shabby.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!