Mike

Throwing up a "So Sick Of Hearing..." POLL in the SOUL VOTE section

So far candiates to be listed are

Exits-You Gotta have money,

and last of all Exits- u Gotta have money

As you can see current line up is a bit biased , so in a spirt of "something for everyone" asking for all to help us out and throw up here any 45 that think deserves a place in the poll

So get your "pull a face" choices in soonest

Speaking of polls..... see next post

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Personally, I'm sick of hearing "Progressive R & B" which is really Black Rock & Roll in disguise, under the Guise of Northern Soul. Why cant we all get back to real Northern Soul like my own stuff, blue eyed or not.

Yours etc Bobby Paris

mike-h wrote:

As you can see current line up is a bit biased , so in a spirt of "something for everyone" asking for all to help us out and throw up here any 45 that think deserves a place in the poll

Social source share

Personally, I'm sick of hearing "Progressive R & B" which is really Black Rock & Roll in disguise, under the Guise of Northern Soul. Why cant we all get back to real Northern Soul like my own stuff, blue eyed or not. 

Yours etc Bobby Paris

.......the old r n b thread arises :)

hope you're still flying high bobby

to be honest, to me seems there's almost as different styles of r n b as there is northern

Have heard many uptempo enjoyable r n b sets, but on other hand have heard a few more "blues" orientated sets which did not float my boat one bit, hard to say if or where there is a line.

Suppose personal taste and all that, though imo for what its worth, tempo plays a big part, more rhythm less blues ??

Anyway Bob give us opion of worse r n b tune heard out and will add it to the ever growing list of "face pullers" thats getting submitted :)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For me its The Professionals. I absolutely loath that record. It seems to be played almost everywhere, sometimes about 50 times at the same night.

Argh now I cant get it out of my head.

Mike, have you been asked to compile a CD for togetherness, and so need to trawl for every awful soul record you can find.

Totally agree with *money* although I do really like their *Sundown in Watt*, one of my brothers faves. He wants to add Angelina. Too true -apalling trash.

Ok now I have started. The Airoplane Song it the worst pile of poo ever played at a soul night. Ever. Thank goodness its not played much anymore.

Social source share

ok added profgessionals and barbara dane to the candiates still room for a couple of more!

Mike, have you been asked to compile a CD for togetherness, and so need to trawl for every awful soul record you can find.
have you ever seen the tape that dave rimmer did called "northern nitemares" ? that be hard to beat!!

Though a tape based on that thread on here a while back on northern "covers" with likes of nolans and rolly pollys may just do that

The Airoplane Song it the worst pile of poo ever played at a soul night. Ever. Thank goodness its not played much anymore.

always thought that 45 was all a bit surreal, what was the team behind that thinking off, when hear that mentioned "gi joe" always springs to mind

mike

Social source share

Oi Kolla NO !!!

Joey is a top tune. (not white pop trash before you start)

With the added bonus of causing heated debate at the same time.

I ove that tune, thank you for getting the Professionals out of my head. Right, I'm off to entertain the office with my version of Sunshine Girl.

Social source share

1. The Brothers - Are You Ready.

2. Nino Tempo - Sister James.

3. The Futures - Party Time Man.

CRAP, CRAP AND MORE CRAP.

It's getting back to the days when they played any old crap with a beat.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Dearest Guest ..

would love to know which soul nighters / nights you go to as I completely disagree with the above statement.

Do tell ! and maybe we can point you in the right direction again. :))

Social source share

Kolla wrote:

Dearest Guest .. 

would love to know which soul nighters / nights you go to as I completely disagree with the above statement.

Do tell ! and maybe we can point you in the right direction again. :))

100 Club, The Dome, Scenesville, These Old Shoes, Seriously Souful.

So where do you suggest I go ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How about cheesy records that you still love.

You know. The ones that are going to be played on the sunday evening party at a weekender.

Personally I just Adore Beverley Ann - You got your mind on other things.

Cant stop my cheshire cat impression when hearing that one.

Social source share

Any old crap with a beat? you must be referring to all those Scooterists doos LOL . I used to be a mod but now i'm a punk..i got my parka! Now that was crap with a beat. Now where did i put that Joe 90 45? as that needs a spin again pmsl

greg

Social source share

Think someone posted up a post regarding kiki dee under the "cheese that like to taste now and again" sort of thing, but it seems got wiped when deleting a dual post, sorry bout that

Not sure about the thread complaing about hearing the Brothers, Futures and all, and then naming 100 club , dome, scenesville etc etc as reg events go to,??

Social source share

mike-h wrote:

Not sure about the thread complaing about hearing the Brothers, Futures  and all, and then naming 100 club , dome, scenesville etc etc as reg events go to,??

Ok, I'll own up about that one, Kolla didn't reply, so it was wasted :-)

Dave Rimmer

Social source share

Mr Rimmer, relieved to know it was you as was a bit concerned

As thinking either there was some mixed up kid on here, or the heatwave was having strange effects down south

Some thing play when bit bored with djs certain selections is come up with a alternative to the cheese, as in ok the dj for whatever reason has a dire need to play a certain 45, but why not vary it a bit, instead of Brothers yet again, why not a other catchy once popular 70s instrumental, or if not maybe even one of the vocal versions, (still wanna hear Jean Napolis vocal version, old mecca spin , but memory fails when questioned what was like, anyone remember it?)

Or say another groaner Tony Joe White's Polk Salad annie, though his"Mr Willis" would still make me groan but would at least bring a element of freshness even though very similar... maybe?

Going thru posts think coming up with a poll on "face puller" 45s may be beyond my abilities, so perhaps just leave it as it is.

Feel free to pass on "face puillers" "alts" " more cheese please" , if this thread getting a bit long, just start new un

Social source share

RIMMER!... no wonder you were so quiet when I saw ya last night at the 100 Club!

In all honesty.... I was so disgusted with "Guest" quoting all the London Clubs that it was impossible for me to rise to the bait using my usual form of Ciceronian eloquence.

In laymen's terms what I mean is.. had I responded - it would have only been with a very long rant befitting of a dog with rabies... Not becoming of a lady.

Hey...in any case I knew someone else would help out - Ta Greg :)

Social source share

Kolla wrote:

RIMMER!... no wonder you were so quiet when I saw ya last night at the 100 Club!

In all honesty.... I was so disgusted with "Guest" quoting  all the London Clubs that  it was impossible for me to rise to the bait using my usual  form of Ciceronian eloquence. 

In laymen's terms what I mean is.. had I responded - it  would have only been with a very long rant befitting of a dog with rabies... Not becoming of a lady.

Sn***** sn*****.

It was obvious that you hadn't read the post in which I admitted responsibility, or you would have hit me, so I thought I won't say anything !

Dave Rimmer

Social source share

The sweaty crowd from the midlands had a brill time at the 100 club :0)

With regard to sick of hearing, I had the misfortune to go to Whitby ...............then you would know what fed up of hearing is all about and all at the same do!!!

To my dread I'm sure Jeanette- 5 times, Holly St James - 6 times, Rita and the tiaras - 5 times and thats just for starters ............ after all we are so limited with the tunes we can hear arent we ?????!!!!!!

The devils disciple

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest rachel

Almost 4 years on, is it the same records the folks are sick of? or have we found some others, and those that we were sick of are in now demanders again?

Ed

How on earth did you manage to dig this one up? laugh.gif

Social source share

what area are you refering that plays The Exits too much?.They must have good taste,Leonard Jewell Smith records can be played all nite for me.

Person-ally,if i never hear "Standing on solid poo" AGAIN,it will be too soon.

Social source share

.......the old r n b thread arises smile.gif

hope you're still flying high bobby

to be honest, to me seems there's almost as different styles of r n b as there is northern

Have heard many uptempo enjoyable r n b sets, but on other hand have heard a few more "blues" orientated sets which did not float my boat one bit, hard to say if or where there is a line.

Suppose personal taste and all that, though imo for what its worth, tempo plays a big part, more rhythm less blues ??

Anyway Bob give us opion of worse r n b tune heard out and will add it to the ever growing list of "face pullers" thats getting submitted :lol:

Ok................Confession time...........Bobby Paris was Me!!!!! thumbsup.gif (Both posts)

Social source share

what area are you refering that plays The Exits too much?.They must have good taste,Leonard Jewell Smith records can be played all nite for me.

Person-ally,if i never hear "Standing on solid poo" AGAIN,it will be too soon.

bloody hell Kev, took you 4 years to reply to that post! tongue.gif

Ok................Confession time...........Bobby Paris was Me!!!!! thumbsup.gif (Both posts)

I wanna know who was posting up under my name :lol:

Social source share

bloody hell Kev, took you 4 years to reply to that post! tongue.gif

I wanna know who was posting up under my name :lol:

never was the sharpest knife in the drawer,,,you rotter sir.......i'm gonna spend all my time on SS trying to get you back :lol: btw haven't you got something you should be doing? tongue.gif

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest Simon

Almost 4 years on, is it the same records the folks are sick of? or have we found some others, and those that we were sick of are in now demanders again?

Ed

Dunno about particular tunes but i'm sick of going to NS nights & not hearing soaring, mid to uptempo tunes that are imaginative & fresh sounding mixed in with a liberal sprinkling of 'thought provoking' oldies.

Don't wanna hear Popcorn, R & B (unless it's the good NS style) , Modern, Crossover (I can handle a few), mid tempo sets, oh so soulful sets, newbie djs playing big ticket numbers from ten years back etc.

Just give me a night of passion, adrenalin & imagination of the traditional NS sense pleeeease!!!!!!

Simon ph34r.gif

Edited by Simon
Social source share

Sadly that has been the case for many a long year. When people are tipping tunes by Tom Jones, Cilla Black etc there has to be something wrong. To be honest it is no better than when Tony Blackburn, Derek & Ray etc. were played - How far has the Northern "Soul" (sic) scene progressed really?

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Make sure you pick your venues with care and you wont have to hear what you dont like,

the day you can go out and say i loved every tune there and everyone else in that venue says it too please let me know as i will go to the next one with you.

if not join the bandwagon of putting your own event on and play eveything you want to personally hear.

im happy just to get a night out thumbup.gif

Social source share

why dont you just flip it over "under the street lamp" thumbup.gif

one that pisses me off that all pretend "A" list djs play out - chris clarke " something wrong" sleep3.gif

also bill bush "im waiting" does my head in :lol:

Social source share

laughing here

Russ its a old post laugh.gif

flips good as ya say, though myselfprefer Joe Baatans version

suppose should have some sort of thing about reviving old topics as can be a bit confusing

if anyone wants to do similar in future , ie refer to old old thread, think be best if rather than reply to post, post up a new thread and drop a link

wink.gif

Social source share

How about cheesy records that you still love.

You know. The ones that are going to be played on the sunday evening party at a weekender.

Personally I just Adore Beverley Ann - You got your mind on other things.

Cant stop my cheshire cat impression when hearing that one.

wicked toon love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

No offence to Ginger... but i'm fed up hearing Joey DeLorenzo's "Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl" .

i personally love it!

my top ten hates are as follows....

1 somethings wrong

2 i gotta find me somebody

3 party time man

4 soul in the sun

5 no one there

6 ain,t no mountain high enough

7 sugar dumpling

8 janice

9 chains of love

10 i,m cumin home in the morning

Social source share

Guest Simon

just dont go to clubs where you keep hearing them then. :shades:

mark

Trouble is though Mark you don't always know until you're in the club & then it's too late.

IMO there's not many clubs playing the criteria that i've listed above infact if any clubs can match that criteria please let me know & i will make a special effort to attend whereever in the country they may be.

Simon

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

l don.t like pop records played at soul do's.....Two good examples of this are JOEY DELORENZO and JOE BLOODY JAMMER how the dance floor fills up when this rubbish is played....please don't tell me they are soul tunes

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Dunno about particular tunes but i'm sick of going to NS nights & not hearing soaring, mid to uptempo tunes that are imaginative & fresh sounding mixed in with a liberal sprinkling of 'thought provoking' oldies.

Don't wanna hear Popcorn, R & B (unless it's the good NS style) , Modern, Crossover (I can handle a few), mid tempo sets, oh so soulful sets, newbie djs playing big ticket numbers from ten years back etc.

Just give me a night of passion, adrenalin & imagination of the traditional NS sense pleeeease!!!!!!

Simon :shades:

Simon why not try LIFELINE or BURNLEY.....sounds like right up your street

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm just offended that someone reminded me of the Professionals. If I am humming that to myself later, there will be tears, nothing but tears

Social source share

Simon :shades:

the DDA room at lowton probably fits your bill also phils all nighter in burnley.

cant say the gretatone would be what yoou are after as we play 60's 70's some r&b and crossover. but i am sure some others will point you in the right direction.

mark

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Simon why not try LIFELINE or BURNLEY.....sounds like right up your street

i would back that up too,

SOLID HIT SOUL never dissapoints either, quality tunes you just dont hear every week come to think of it you dont hear them at all, i highly reccomend the said 3 Simon :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!