Assistance Required Please

karlos1964

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie here and looking for some recommendations from those more knowledgeable than myself. I really love those Philly type 70's dancers such as Four Below Zero's "My Baby's Got ESP" or Blue Magic's "Look me up".

With the above songs in mind could anyone recommend any similar type tunes which may have escaped these ears.

Thanks in advance...

Karlos

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest topcatnumpty1

Try these Karlos;

One on One--Prince Philip Mitchell

Too Late Too Turn Back Now--Cornelius Bros And Sister Rose

Big Time Lover--Cornelius Bros And Sister Rose

Heaven In The Afternoon--Lew Kirton

Sounds like they shud fit the bill

Kind Regards

Tony Coleby

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie here and looking for some recommendations from those more knowledgeable than myself. I really love those Philly type 70's dancers such as Four Below Zero's "My Baby's Got ESP" or Blue Magic's "Look me up".

With the above songs in mind could anyone recommend any similar type tunes which may have escaped these ears.

Thanks in advance...

Karlos

Social source share

Guest peeveeaitch

Hi Karlos,

My Baby's Got... just happens to be my favourite track ever. Love the 'newer' soul stuff myself, right through from Crossover to the more disco-ey end of the spectrum. Difficult to suggest specific tracks but there's plenty of your type of thing out there on ebay, much of which has sound clips attached. That tends to be how I discover new stuff. Best bet is to search 'Modern Soul' rather than Northern. There's also a show on Solar Radio called The Soul Cellar, which I suspect might appeal to you. It's broadcast (Tuesday's I think) over the internet and all the archive shows are available for free download. Might be worth a listen (though it goes a bit jazz-funky at times).

Don't know where you live, but I'm involved in a new night coming up in 2008, based in Nottingham city centre, which will cover all types of soul, but predominantly 70s stuff of the type you seem to have a preference for. We're doing a 'preview night' on 27th December. Bit of a long commute if you live somewhere on t'other side of the world though...

Pete

Social source share

Hi,

Thanks in advance...

Karlos

Hi Karlos,

Here are some philly type floaters that you may like:-

Trammps - Where do we go from here - Golden Fleece.

Velvet - Bet you if ask around - Perception or the other take of it by The Quadrophonics - Betcha if you check it out - Innovation.

Ultra High Frequency - We're on the right track - Wand / Scepter.

The O'Jay's - Time to get down - Philadelphia International.

Jean Carne - If you wanna go back - Philadelphia International.

The Philly Devotions - I just can't say goodbye - Don De or Columbia.

Stratavarious feat Lady - I got your love - Polydor.

Al Hudson & The Soul Partners - When your gone - Atco.

The Southside Movement - Do it to me - 20th Century (my personal favourite)

Hope you enjoy some of them.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi,

Thanks in advance...

Karlos

Hi Karlos,

Try these out:

The Whole Town's Talking - Blly Paul

Got To Get You Back - The Sons Of Robin Stone

Once You Hit The Road - Dionne Warwick

Hooked For Life - The Trammps

Plus the others recommended above.

A good starting point would be "Creme De La Creme" Vols I & 2 on Warner Music:-

Creme De La Creme 1

One of the best compilations of 70s soul you'll ever buy -- a treasure trove of tracks from mid 70s Atlantic and Warner Brothers Records -- all recorded in the mighty soul capitol of Philly! The set does a great job of combining hit singles with a load of lesser-known Philly gems -- tunes recorded as singles or obscure album tracks by artists who were working in the same Sigma scene as the bigger acts on Atlantic, but who never managed to crack the charts as much. The whole thing's great -- a smooth-grooving midtempo batch of tracks that never fails to please -- and honestly, if we had to dig through thousands of old records to produce such a set, we're not sure we could do a better job! Titles include "One More Time" by Dianne Steinberg, "Let's Get Together Now" by The Aristocrats, "Love Won't Let Me Wait" and "Loving You Is Mellow" by Major Harris, "Kiss My Love Goodbye" by Bettye Swann, "Welcome To The Club" by Blue Magic, "That's Where I'm Coming From" by True Reflection, "Save Your Love For Me" by Vivian Reed, "You Call Me Back" by Clyde Brown, ""I Got A Feeling" by First Choice, "Gonna Make You Mine" by Anglo Saxon Brown, "Got To Get You Together Now" by Sons Of Robin Stone, "Can We Come Together" by The Trammps, and "Once You Hit The Road" by Dionne Warwick.

Creme De La Creme 2

Sublime soul from 70s Philly -- not just the hits, but a great range of lesser-known gems as well! The set follows strongly on the first volume of the series, but goes even deeper -- and presents a range of rare singles here for the first time on CD, and a few more previously unissued numbers -- alongside a well-chosen batch of overlooked album tracks from the 70s catalogs of Warner, Atlantic, and related labels who all worked often on the prime Philly scene. There's a wide Sigma Sound groove that runs deeply through the set -- a magnificent blend of tight rhythms and smooth instrumentation, mostly cut in the pre-disco years and applied to vocals from a range of excellent male and female singers! Titles include "Look Me Up" by Blue Magic, "Action Speaks Louder Than Words" by Terry Collins, "Happy Man (part 1)" by Impact, "When The Game Is Played On You" by Bettye Swann, "Each Morning I Wake Up" by Major Harris, "No Danger Ahead" by Ben E King, "What A Man" by Jackie Moore, "Mama Never Told Me (Tom Moulton rmx)" by Sister Sledge, "Spinnin Top" by Movin Violation, "Loving You Is Mellow" by Aristocrats, "Are You Ready For Love" by Spinners, "That's The Way Love Should Feel" by Dee Dee Bridgewater, "You & Me" by Margie Joseph & Blue Magic, "Never Love Again" by Holly Maxwell, "Tired Of Being Alone" by Vivian Reed, and "Some Guys Have All The Luck" by The Persuaders. Includes 4 previously unreleased tracks!

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Hi,

Thanks in advance...

Karlos

i dont do this- sidney joe quail

fragile handle with care- sam dees

keep it coming-the jones girls

dont want to be a fool-luther

Social source share

i dont do this- sidney joe quail

fragile handle with care- sam dees

keep it coming-the jones girls

dont want to be a fool-luther

wow - I think you guys should dj somewhere, putting all these suggestions together, it'd be a brilliant night!.

my suggestion:

hmm, i'll have a think!.

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!