Records that have "turned up" ?

Searching through ebay and from UK dealers lists, it would seem that previously rare records have ''turned up'' in reasonable quantities

Royal Esquires - Grand Prix

Anne Heywood - Hondo

Kenny Shepard - Maxx

Mind & Matter - M&M

Danny Moore - now a £50 record!

etc, etc

Does anybody know of others that have been found recently ?

thanks

Hippo

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You asked.....!!!

Soundmasters

Jackie Day

Cautions (both!!)

J D Bryant

Fantastics

James Bell (both)

Sam Fletcher

Yum Yums

Dream Team

Young Bros

etc, etc, etc........

PS Don't let them dealers tell ya otherwise, they got'em alright!!

Social source share

servicemen on wind hit

tony hester karate

soundmasters (just turned up with group records on ebay)

bobby reed bell (loads been on ebay recently)

Frederick hymes

vondells airtown (been a few up on ebay in the last year/months)

be carfeful people be careful

Social source share

To be honest this can happen to any record and has over the years, it's down to luck basically or bad luck depending how you view it, personally if a count box or two turn up and the prices are resonable and reflect the find then at least a few more people can enjoy the tune and if the record is of a quality does it matter how many copies there are?

The problem lies when a tune turns up and is still sold at it's original rare price say for a thousand pounds when someone has located say 300 copies and trickle out the first one or two for top price the greed takes over and the market is over run with copies and you can see this as plain as day on Ebay for example, just because a record turns up in mass does not make it any less of a record, more perhaps the cult status is lost but the tune is still the same.

You pay your money and take a chance on every record you buy, some have proved to be rare and will always be the case, others have seemed to pop up in recent years and this i'm sure will continue to happen.

regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Four Tracks ?...

Which one?... can I get a copy then?... Where?

chalky wrote: Antellects? Only seen one sold so far but was told a quantity Four Tracks Troy Dodds
Social source share

What can also happen is that a tune which starts selling for a lorra dosh can lead to people to cash in on a record that they may have bought years ago, for a couple of quid, before it was in demand. I have often been tempted to do this but have always bottled out at the last moment.

Tone

Social source share

bozaboy wrote:

How many more copies of Eskew Reeder on Instant are there? It must have sold enough for a chart entry by now!!!

- ditto- Ace Spectrum and "Sister James".

Ace Spectrum was a Couple of million seller in the States wasn't it. You couldn't give this away in the 80's, was in every box you looked at, nothings changed there mind you :-)

Trouble is folks don't study ebay and see what's turning up every week and just bid away with no cares in the world :-/

Social source share

>records that have turned up.youngbrothers.jd bryant .etc

>you forgot to mention don gardner.mellow souls.walter & >admrtns.

>get real wil you.

I'm pretty sure the latter 3 haven't yet. But the first 2 most definately have my friend. The Young Bros in reasonable quantity, perhaps you didn't get you full share in splice of the haul John !

Social source share

>records that have turned up.youngbrothers.jd bryant .etc

>you forgot to mention don gardner.mellow souls.walter & >admrtns.

>get real wil you.

I'm pretty sure the latter 3 haven't yet. But the first 2 most definately have my friend. The Young Bros in reasonable quantity, perhaps you didn't get you full share in splice of the haul John !

Social source share

Hey bozaboy, great comments mate, suppose same goes for quite a few 'biggies' at the moment e.g. The Futures 'Party Time Man', The Showmen 'The Wrong Girl' etc. - I swear I remember Pans People dancing to 'Party Time Man' on TOTP, ah no I'm getting mixed up with 'Disco Inferno'! No seriously though the amount of times a lot of these 45's are turning up makes you wonder how they still fetch a decent price. Remember the price of PS2 when it first came out folks, hang around a bit for your Ace Spectrums et al and u might pick up a bargain on these half decent tunes.

Social source share

Who exactly where involved in the splitting of this haul?

Particulary their ebay names, so I can think twice about bidding on their last copy (honest mate!) of Frank Wilson!

Social source share

Search ebay for Shrine records now and that tell of one!

That's the second Shrine tune in as many weeks on ebay - one a week, that's more than the rate they originally sold at as new releases!

Social source share

On ebay its user name vinyl aka Saturn records who are selling their part of the 'find' ( I think they were instrumental in brokering the overall deal ) also a guy using the seller name joeyd (2 or 3 ) @ aol.com but often he emails people who have been second high bidders on auctions to offer them the same unplayed 45's - again I suspect from the 'find' unless he has been sitting on boxes of the international gto's , servicemen on windhit and ann Heywood for years (not ! ).

Social source share

Very interesting, I too have been emailed by joeydee with mint copies of records that I was the second highest bidder on - I didn't take up the offers!

I have been offered :

Jackie Day - Naughty

Servicemen (Wind Hit)

International GTOs

Mark iv - if you can't

and a number of Shrine issues.

does anyone have any other to add to this list?

Social source share

Spot on with the names - I was told by someone close to the deal in the states that it was saturn, Barry ( whose surname I couldn't remember ) and of course JM. Now I was also told that the guy who had originally been sitting on the stock until the IRS went for him had managed to retain some stock that he kept at home. I believe this could be true because JoeyD is in a position to offer the same titles - servicemen, Ann Heywood, International GTO's etc. and I also happen to know that he is in direct contact with the original 'owner'.

Make of this what you will!

Social source share

I was told the Guy whose stock the IRS confiscated did allow a few titles out now and again through a mate, thats were previous stuff like the earlier Jackie Day's came from.

Was told from a soource close to the deqal they had 7 or 8 copies of JD each.....taht would appear to confirm the 20/25 copies rumour. All will be revealed eventually.

Social source share

Whats the deal with vinyl/saturn.Some time ago I bought a copy of 'Butch Baker' - Fat man at the go go, they guarenteed it as being an original on checking it out with J Manships bootleg guide it doesn't match up also is the JM i've mentioned the same one rumoured to be involved with the big deal ?

Social source share

Yep JM mentioned before is John Manship. Now what I think is interesting is that as well as Butch baker, The Pearlean Gray's - I Don't want to cry - Green Sea that Saturn sold also don't match up as you said with the 1st edition of the bootleg book - yet I think there is no doubt that the 45's Saturn sell including Butch Baker and Pearlean Gray are legit. If they were going to try and hide bootlegs in they would go for something less obvious I think. Without wishing to knock JM who has huge amounts of knowledge, I don't think he is 100% correct with everything in the bootleg guide - with specific regard to the Butch Baker I remember someone posting an article on another list a couple of years ago. They had met a guy in the states who was involved in the distribution of the St. Lawrence label amongst others and could clearly recall that sometimes the St Lawrence address was on the label and sometimes not depending on which plant had pressed it. Again with the bootleg guide I have got an Alexander Patton on Capitol with the title on two lines which has a stamped in matrix number and an 'aim' triangle stamp - according to the bootleg guide it's duff but I'm not convinced given where and who I got it from and also the stamped in numbers. I've also got other stuff on Capitol not all soul either which has the stamped in numbers and pressing plant stamp but no daisy scratched in yet they are titles that weren't booted. F*ck I sound like an anorak :-) Hope this hasn't bored you too much :-)

Social source share

Guest wrote:

Alexander Patton on Capitol with the title on two lines which has a stamped in matrix number and an 'aim' triangle stamp - according to the bootleg guide it's duff but I'm not convinced given where and who I got it from and also the stamped in numbers. I've also got other stuff on Capitol not all soul either which has the stamped in numbers and pressing plant stamp but no daisy scratched in yet they are titles that weren't booted.

the "boots" pressed with original capitol blanks? Same as a few others but missing the daisy? Thats why they look real.

Also heard the story of the St Lawrence label, came from a guy who used to work for them and also doing the juke box run, forget who told me

Social source share

the "boots" pressed with original capitol blanks? Same as a few others but missing the daisy? Thats why they look real.

I'm a bit confused by the whole thing to be honest because in the book I've got it says capitol blank labels as opposed to blanks as in blank vinyl 7's ( perhaps I've got a bootleg bootleg book??? ) and the stamped in matrix numbers are according to the capitol label guide someone gave me right for 1965 plus the 'aim' stamp is for some plant in pittsburgh. The copy I got came from a junk shop in the USA some years ago and I would have thought that all the counterfeits would have been UK bound? Also I'm told there are two line title copies with daisy stamps etc. Final confusing thing is that I have at least one other capitol 45 and I don't mean Jerry Cook etc as per the bootleg book that has the numbers and pressing plant stamp but no daisy... perhaps the man who scratched in the daisy was on holiday :-) Anyway as this has bog all to do with the original thread I'm off to bed - would be interested to get a definitive on the counterfeit Alexander P's. Has anyone got one who can describe the run out markings etc?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Four Tracks ?...

Which one?... can I get a copy then?... Where?

Quote:

chalky wrote: Antellects? Only seen one sold so far but was told a quantity Four Tracks Troy Dodds

ALERT!!

Have a look on ebay theres an Antellects up there.

greg

Social source share

mark v unlimited's "gone!" on sagport...i saw it on one list for 40 pounds. everybody i know has a copy that they got for less than five bucks though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!