Dusty Springfield

Looking at Dusty Springfield's website there are so many CD's available, she had a wonderful voice and must have sung a few soulful tunes in her time during the 60's, although she sang lots of cover versions are there any tunes which are considered "Northern Soul" and can anyone recommend one or more of her albums? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rachel

Looking at Dusty Springfield's website there are so many CD's available, she had a wonderful voice and must have sung a few soulful tunes in her time during the 60's, although she sang lots of cover versions are there any tunes which are considered "Northern Soul" and can anyone recommend one or more of her albums? :thumbsup:

link

Off the top of my head...

What's It Gonna Be

Bring Him Back

Silly Silly Fool (70s, Soul Sam play I believe)

Here She Comes (60s midtempo)

version of Long After Tonight Is All Over

version of Oh No Not My Baby

Go Ahead On (had a few plays I think)

Social source share

link

'Live It Up' is a great 45, has had a few plays out and about. All her early (solo) albums are worth picking up, they all contain some superb original and cover versions.

They are very collectable but can be picked up reasonably cheap, also look out for her EPs.

regards

Paul

Social source share

link

They used to play quite a bit of her stuff in the early 70s. I think she is one of the best.

See rachel's reply for some of her more Northernesque tracks.

Actually bought "What's it gonna be" about a month ago off ebay

AHHHHHHHHHH Dear dear dusty!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I cant call myself a fan of her's, as I know very very little, buy I went to a wedding just before xmas, and the DJ played

"Love Power", from the album "Dusty Definetly"

It had me rushing over to ask him who it was etc....

An absolutely stonking track, if ever I have heard one. :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Good place to start with a Dusty CD is

Dusty Springfield sings Classic Soul

Tracks

Track listing

1. When The Love Light Starts Shining Thru His Eyes

2. Needle In A Haystack

3. Oh No Not My Baby

4. Mr Dream Merchant

5. Don't Forget About Me

6. Girls It Ain't Easy

7. I Just Don't Know What Do With Myself

8. Chained To A Memory

9. Love Power

10. Can I Get A Witness

11. I Had A Talk With My Man Last Night

12. So Much Love

13. Magic Garden

14. Brand New Me

15. Crumbs Off The Table

16. Long After Tonight Is Over

17. I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You

18. Breakfast In Bed

Social source share

Off the top of my head...

What's It Gonna Be

Bring Him Back

Silly Silly Fool (70s, Soul Sam play I believe)

Here She Comes (60s midtempo)

version of Long After Tonight Is All Over

version of Oh No Not My Baby

Go Ahead On (had a few plays I think)

link

I cant wait to see my babys face and aint no sun since you been gone,two goodies for ya! :thumbsup: .Ken

Social source share

Worth picking up original issue of "EV'RYTHING'S COMING UP DUSTY' too.

as well as Long After Tonight, Oh No! Not My Baby,That's How Heartaches Are Made and some other fine covers there's a tune that's a bit of a stomper called "If It Don't Work Out' - written by Rod Argent of all people (Is there a Zombies version?).

The Lp is a superb package that opens up as a 12" gatefold album with some great colour shots of Dusty singing.

"WHERE AM I GOING" is another winner. in fact here's the track listing:

Bring Him Back

Don't Let Me Lose This Dream

I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face

Take Me For A Little While

Chained To A Memory

Sunny

They Long To Be Close To You

Welcome Home

Come Back To Me

If You Go Away

Broken Blossoms

Where Am I Going

can you tell I'm a bit of a fan :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

can you tell I'm a bit of a fan :thumbsup:

Godz

link

Any opinion on the track i mentioned?

I really havent listened to her at all, and I never bug DJs about tracks they are playing. this one just grabbed me by the taters, and started mashing :yes:

Social source share

Any opinion on the track i mentioned?

I really havent listened to her at all, and I never bug DJs about tracks they are playing. this one just grabbed me by the taters, and started mashing  :thumbsup:

link

Great track - also on the Dusty Sings Classic Soul CD

Social source share

Great track - also on the Dusty Sings Classic Soul CD

link

It's a cover of the Sandpebbles isn't it? Not bad as I remember, but I actually prefer her doing the more midtempo tunes like the stuff mentioned earlier.

Mind you she did do a rousing version of Gloria Jones "Heartbeat" for a BBC session that was pretty exciting. :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

It's a cover of the Sandpebbles isn't it? Not bad as I remember, but I actually prefer her doing the more midtempo tunes like the stuff mentioned earlier.

Mind you she did do a rousing version of Gloria Jones "Heartbeat" for a BBC session that was pretty exciting. :thumbsup:

Godz

link

anymore info on the bbc sessions

read the listing of them once and seemed interesting

Social source share

Thankyou to everyone for your recommendations I shall definately be buying the Soul Classics CD and a few more now, I am ashamed to say that I have never bought any of her records in the past :thumbsup:

Social source share

There used to ba a fan site with audio clips but I think it was taken down quite some time ago.

Sorry - this is not much use really is it? (doh!)

Godz

link

of use as it kicked me to have a quick look

seems that those bbc sessions may be out on cd now, along with other cd taken from tv shows- seems they couldnt find her version of baby i need your loving

bit pushed at moment to look deeper, any one full score

Social source share

YOUR HURTIN' KIND OF LOVE!!!!!!!!!!--Killer track don't remember which LP, though.

Seconded---Where Am I Going is the best LP for northern soul appeal.

No matter what you do, whatever you pick up will be worth it.

KTF

Jas

link

Thanks Jas, I have just ordered Am I The Same Girl/Lounge Legends & Sings Classic Soul all for just over £17.00, now that is good value for money :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thanks Jas, I have just ordered Am I The Same Girl/Lounge Legends &  Sings Classic Soul all for just over £17.00, now that is good value for money beer.gif

link

Although DU

Dusty is the greatest, Dont les forget petula's "Its the SIGN OF THE TIMES" or am i just older than I care to admit :rolleyes:

Social source share

Incidentally, back in the sixties the century's most gifted songwriter flew from the States to spend six weeks working with Dusty - and at a time when he was hotter than than fire.

If Dusty gets approval in that measure from Burt Bacharach, then I think it's case proven; Mary O'Brien (aka Dusty) the best British female singer ever.

Social source share

Although DU

Dusty is the greatest, Dont les forget petula's "Its the SIGN OF THE TIMES" or am i just older than I care to admit :rolleyes:

link

Got US 45 copy,never seen another,is this rare, great stompa what? beer.gif .Ken

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Guest Smudge

Got US 45 copy,never seen another,is this rare, great stompa what? :wicked: .Ken

link

A great dancer not yet mentioned (I think) is I'll try anything. On UK Phillips. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thankyou to everyone for your recommendations I shall definately be buying the Soul Classics CD and a few more now, I am ashamed to say that I have never bought any of her records in the past :thumbsup:

link

Let me know what you think when get your CDs especially her version of Long after tonight............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!