Oxford Nights

Right....getting to understand this Beachmusic Scene.........you add a bit of popcorn, with a little Ska n reggae....plenty of detroit soul......some white uptempo.....with a little 60s girl pop......and authentic RnB.....with a dab of Jazz - put it all on 45s and wait for 50 years untill it gets played on the "UK Northern Soul Scene" - Yup .................. makes perfect sense

post-6465-1197596101_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hey Mossy

Fine looking SOUL group to me. Don't they so remind you of the Temps, Tops, Isleys, Miracles, All Stars, Brothers, Beach Boys, Who, Monkees...!!

Keep the faith!

Brian :lol:

They look like nice lads..............My grandmother would have got them painting our house if they lived in our street!

Seven Souls, Tempests, Oxford nights, King Edward, all good looking Beach Bums!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

They look like nice lads..............My grandmother would have got them painting our house if they lived in our street!

Mossy

I'm sure as singers they'd make fine painters!

Social source share

Mossy

I'm sure as singers they'd make fine painters!

Yes ..................... Beach music is the way forward! ..................paint the sand red!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Yes ..................... Beach music is the way forward! paint the sand red!

Let's go with The Ad Libs and General Johnson to start?

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Who's Roy Smith from this bunch?? I expected him to be black.

Expect nothing in the Strange World of Northern Soul!

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Who's Roy Smith from this bunch?? I expected him to be black.

No idea, I have been looking a the Beach music site, Intresting stuff on there but have no idea about most of the stuff on it.............apart from Major Lance and Willie Tee.........and the swinging medallions for that great sax insto on smash

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

No idea, I have been looking a the Beach music site, Intresting stuff on there but have no idea about most of the stuff on it.............apart from Major Lance and Willie Tee.........

Some SOUL singers at last!

Social source share

Some SOUL singers at last!

Yup...........Beach music...................Just learning about this me. The Soul Set "Will you ever learn" is a beach classic.....in its country of origin ....... ??????????????????? And I thought only rich old white men from the north of England liked this sort of old shit!

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Yup...........Beach music...................Just learning about this me. The Soul Set "Will you ever learn" is a beach classic.....in its country of origin ....... ??????????????????? And I thought only rich old white men from the north of England liked this sort of old shit!

Oxford Nights and the Soul Set i would not give a flying F*^k if they where from Istanbul still records i for one would love to have in my colection, Last time i danced to the Soul Set :lol: ........................Ho i remeber when R Tomhas played it at the second Skegi weekender! what a tune this old shit should be played out a lot more IMO.

Steve J

Social source share

Oxford Nights and the Soul Set i would not give a flying F*^k if they where from Istanbul still records i for one would love to have in my colection, Last time i danced to the Soul Set :thumbsup: ........................Ho i remeber when R Tomhas played it at the second Skegi weekender! what a tune this old shit should be played out a lot more IMO.

Steve J

Completely agree with you Steve, good taste! Bought the book about this kinda stuff (Heey Baby Days...) fascinating! You'd be surprised which groups were actually WHITE!

Did you know that the Tams (one of beach music's top bands) actually 'lost' their black fans in the USA in the 60's and had more success and friendships with their white following......ring any bells.

Social source share

Think the Soul Set were a white group with black vocalists. Dave Flynn has the full sp on his site.

https://capitolsoulclub.homestead.com/soulsetspecial.html

I think this was the case with many of the Carolinas groups?

So much excellent jazzy 60s soul from this part of the US.....

Anyone know if this was also the case with The Chryslers on Je-Jody? Also Les Mack on Jokers Three?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Oxford Nights and the Soul Set i would not give a flying F*^k if they where from Istanbul still records i for one would love to have in my colection, Last time i danced to the Soul Set :thumbup: ........................Ho i remeber when R Tomhas played it at the second Skegi weekender! what a tune this old shit should be played out a lot more IMO.

Steve J

I was joking - Oxford Knights , Soul set are brilliant ! I just find it intresting that massive tunes like this are a big part of a different scene over the pond, which I personally know next to nothing about! :thumbup:

Social source share

No idea, I have been looking a the Beach music site, Intresting stuff on there but have no idea about most of the stuff on it.............apart from Major Lance and Willie Tee.........and the swinging medallions for that great sax insto on smash

Tell you who did a bit of beach music THE SUPERBS i've got a couple of things by them that are very Beach Boysesqe on Dore orange vinyl Di x :D

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Who gives a flying duck what colour the performers are? As long as the music's good I'll listen.

I've got a little pile of Carolina beach music, some of it's shyte and some of it's fine little slabs of Northern soul.

I do have to keep myself from laughing until the tears run down my legs when they start singing about 'Doing the shag' though... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert