Pete S

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Must say that Jackie Mittoo thing is very infectious, that pulsating beat sort of grabs me, not huge on Ska/Rocksteady but have always admired the Studio One things i've heard.

Social source share

In the words of the late John Peel "More of the same please"  :unsure:

Godz

ps need a copy of Melodians - Come On Little Girl if you have a spare knocking about.

link

More of the same coming up :rolleyes:

Haven't got the melodians myself (on vinyl) I'm afraid..

Social source share

hi pete ,the ska 6 pack,,very very good ,lets here some more ,seems northern souls like ska , sat night in queen vic prestatyn ,carl willingham played 2 or3 ska things that went down very well mr j.p.

Social source share

hi  pete ,the ska 6 pack,,very very good ,lets here some more ,seems northern souls like ska , sat night in queen vic prestatyn  ,carl willingham played 2 or3 ska things that went down very well  mr j.p.

link

anyone a title of the ska tinged instrumental he played

maybe friday maybe saturday ?

Social source share

Killer Diller - What a tune, absolute classic!

On the subject of Ska would be nice to hear a few tunes slipped in at an allnighter, Kings Hall this Sat would be a good start.

Social source share

Killer Diller - What a tune, absolute classic!

On the subject of Ska would be nice to hear a few tunes slipped in at an allnighter, Kings Hall this Sat would be a good start.

link

I think it'll happen...don't know when, but I honestly think there will be some ska and or rocksteady played at venues in the near future. They've gone as far as they can with R&B, it's the next step.

Social source share

I think it'll happen...don't know when, but I honestly think there will be some ska and or rocksteady played at venues in the near future.  They've gone as far as they can with R&B, it's the next step.

link

Think your right Pete hope so anyway, i do a spot on a Friday in a local pub and Ska & Rocksteady go down a storm in between the Northern.

Btw your rocksteady mix is playing slow, what program did you use? It could be because of the compression the program is using.

Social source share

Think your right Pete hope so anyway, i do a spot on a Friday in a local pub and Ska & Rocksteady go down a storm in between the Northern.

Btw your rocksteady mix is playing slow, what program did you use? It could be because of the compression the program is using.

link

I know, I just asked for a bit of help, trouble is, it plays perfectly on mine then when I send it up, it's gone slow. I recorded it as a wav on atomix mp3, then used advanced mp3 converter to resize it and make the mp3, settings were

min bitrate 64

max bitrate 320

sampling rate 44100

this making sense to anyone? Are they incorrect settings? yesterday my northern mix played too fast but today it is playing at the right speed!

Social source share

settings were

min bitrate 64

max bitrate 320

sampling rate 44100

this making sense to anyone?  Are they incorrect settings?  yesterday my northern mix played too fast but today it is playing at the right speed!

think you have to encode it at a fixed bit rate.

go for:

MONO

sampling rate: 22050

constant bitrate: 48kbps

Social source share

Guest rachel

hi  pete ,the ska 6 pack,,very very good ,lets here some more ,seems northern souls like ska , sat night in queen vic prestatyn  ,carl willingham played 2 or3 ska things that went down very well  mr j.p.

link

Missed Carl Willingham but caught Mike Warburton's set on the Saturday, he threw in a few ska tracks as well, worked well with the R&B.

Social source share

I think it'll happen...don't know when, but I honestly think there will be some ska and or rocksteady played at venues in the near future.  They've gone as far as they can with R&B, it's the next step.

link

Lets hope it's not in the next 20 years ohmy.gif

I don't mind a bit of ska (used to have a load in the early 70s) but don't want to

hear it out. If I did I'd go to a bloody mod do (apologies mods)

Don't slaughter me Pete :rolleyes:

Social source share

Lets hope it's not in the next 20 years  ohmy.gif

I don't mind a bit of ska (used to have a load in the early 70s) but don't want to

hear it out. If I did I'd go to a bloody mod do (apologies mods)

Don't slaughter me Pete  :rolleyes:

link

That current Marv Johnson record is a ska track!

Social source share

I am convinced ska will spill over soon because Jamaican r&B records are picking up a lot of interest, as is Jamaican soul.  See what you think of this...

link

yeah not bad i might be convinced yet :rolleyes:

Social source share

yeah not bad i might be convinced yet  :rolleyes:

link

I have a few like that but they need a bit of digging out. What I really wanted to publicise was the rocksteady stuff, not the ska, because I find the group harmony sound absolutely awesome - they are very influenced by the likes of The Impressions. If 'Queen of the minstrels' is up on my next 6 pack you'll see what I mean.

Social source share

I have a few like that but they need a bit of digging out.  What I really wanted to publicise was the rocksteady stuff, not the ska, because I find the group harmony sound absolutely awesome - they are very influenced by the likes of The Impressions.  If 'Queen of the minstrels' is up on my next 6 pack you'll see what I mean.

link

Queen of the Minstrels was on a free Studio One CD with the March issue of Mojo magazine.

I'd never heard it before and I was stunned at the soulfulness of the singing. I must have played it seven or eight times on the trot and I can't remember the last time a tune had that effect on me.

Sublime and superb :rolleyes:

Godz

Social source share

Queen of the Minstrels was on a free Studio One CD with the March issue of Mojo magazine.

I'd never heard it before and I was stunned at the soulfulness of the singing. I must have played it seven or eight times on the trot and I can't remember the last time a tune had that effect on me.

Sublime and superb :thumbsup:  

Godz

link

Yep great track as is Renegade although completely different it has that atmosphere to it that all great songs have.

Another slab of soul below

Edited by rudeboy1969
Social source share

Yep great track as is Renegade although completely different it has that atmosphere to it that all great songs have.

Another slab of soul below

link

Coincidence, have just done a couple more comps and the other side of The Uniques is on there, Love And Devotion.

Social source share

Coincidence, have just done a couple more comps and the other side of The Uniques is on there, Love And Devotion.

link

Strange things happen on a friday, like my boss not hassling me for two days :thumbsup:

Completely off topic Pete i have a load of Ska/Reggae/Rockksteady albums i'm thinking of shifting, are they selling well at the minute?

Cheers

Social source share

I am convinced ska will spill over soon because Jamaican r&B records are picking up a lot of interest, as is Jamaican soul.  See what you think of this...

link

Wow like this un Pete :thumbsup: methinks it'd go down well with Eddie Hughes :wicked:

Is it the same Phillip James that did "Keep on lovin" - ?

Social source share

Strange things happen on a friday, like my boss not hassling me for two days  :thumbsup:

Completely off topic Pete i have a load of Ska/Reggae/Rockksteady albums i'm thinking of shifting, are they selling well at the minute?

Cheers

link

Well I've sold some lately, about 50% of the ones I advertised, but they were really rare things like Ready Steady Go Rocksteady, Live It Up, Here Comes The Duke etc.

If you let me know what they are I'll price them for you if you like...

Social source share

Wow like this un Pete :thumbsup: methinks it'd go down well with Eddie Hughes :wicked:

link

Not sure, but it's actually The Blues Busters, Philip James was one of the duo, no idea why it was credited to just him. It's on UK island and a mint one would be worth about £80.

Social source share

link

I'm going to put up another song in a minute but a 'modern' one, I'd be interested in seeing what you think, whether it's classified as reggae or is it soul?

Social source share

so how do i up load a six pack would like to try one of these? i have stienberg clean to put the old records on to the computer but after that im all a bit confused any helpful info will be greatfull :lol:blush.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!