My First Attempt At A 6 Pack Thing

Pete S

Pete

Really enjoyed that - thank you.

I've always been partial to a bit of ska, my fave being "Live Injection" by the Upstetters. Like a lot of us on here, my knowledge is sketchy. I've always been a bit hazy on the exact musical difference between ska/bluebeat/rock steady/reggae.

Wondered if you might have time to write a few words on the subject?

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Pete

Really enjoyed that - thank you.

I've always been partial to a bit of ska, my fave being "Live Injection" by the Upstetters. Like a lot of us on here, my knowledge is sketchy. I've always been a bit hazy on the exact musical difference between ska/bluebeat/rock steady/reggae.

Wondered if you might have time to write a few words on the subject?

link

Er, do you mean a few words or a thesis? :thumbsup:

OK complete beginners guide in as few words as possible.

We start off in the late 50's with sound systems which used to play 'lawns' (large outdoor areas) in the local neighbourhoods. Usually the sound systems would face each other and the winner would be the one which got the best reaction to their discs. Anyway, the music was exclusively American R&B, especially of the Louis Jordan variety, much of which could be heard on a few Southern US radio stations which could be picked up in Jamaica. In 1958, the oldies were starting to run out so the first Jamaican r&b records were recorded in local studios, things like Laurel Aitken's Boogie In My Bones, very influenced by American r&b. Some of these first recordings came out in the Uk on tiny labels like Starlite and Planetone, and later on Blue Beat and Island. The Blue Beat label became so synonymous with ska music that in the Uk, ska was actually known as Blue Beat.

The first ska records started to appear in 1962. Ska is essentially r&b but with the accent on the offbeat, giving it a distinctive sound. The music is dominated by brass work. The ska lasted for 3 years, with the tempo ever increasing, so if you listen to an early ska tune like Eric Morris' Humpty Dumpty then follow it with, for instance, The Riots instrumental Yeah yeah, the two are light years apart.

Well known examples of ska: Millie - My boy lollipop is about the most famous; Prince Buster - Al Capone, The Skatalites - Guns of navarone.

In 1966 the sound began to slow down and although recognisable as ska, a different rhythm was appearing, this involved the dominance of the bassline and the accent on the third beat. According to legend, the music slowed down because the summer that year was the hottest on record and the dancers couldn't keep up with the frantic ska beat.

Rocksteady has a far more soulful and sensual sound to it than ska, it was dominated by male vocal groups like The Techniques, The Sensations and The Paragons. Best known examples of this type of sound would be Desmond Dekker - 007 shanty town, Delroy Wilson - Dancing mood, The Techniques - You don't care.

The rocksteady sound was dominated by Duke Reid's Treasure Isle label and virtually anything on this label is worth investigating. The sound lasted until the start of 1968 when the music developed yet again, this time the sound went uptempo again and guitar and organ became the dominant instruments. Early reggae is fabulous music, things like Live Injection, Say What You're Saying, Israelites, Work It etc. By 1969 rocksteady was completely dead and reggae dominated, hitting the charts with the likes of Liquidator, It Mek, Red red wine, Return of django, Sweet senastions, Long shot kick the bucket etc, mainly due to the skinheads waving the flag for reggae music. Sadly the more that the music charted, the more that the record companies began to think that the music should be sweetened for the consumer and soon strings began to appear on recordings and the music became watered down. The skinheads soon lost interest, Trojan only seemed interested in putting out cover versions of chart songs and soon only a handful of reggae 45's hit the charts.

The name stuck however, and even today is used to describe a whole host of Jamaican music but like all other forms of Jamaican music, it began as a dance, why the name stuck nobody seems to know.

reggae of course spawned dub, roots, dancehall, ragga and jungle, but nothing compares to the old stuff.

This has been Pete Smith for News At Ten, Kingston, Jamaica.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well it was really worth me taking 5 minutes to write that, wasn't it  whistling.gif

12 hours later no views.  I'm wasted on here, wasted

link

Just noticed I got the wrong band whistling.gif

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!