At The Top Of The Stairs

Going to bed and leaving u all with this thought:

Just got in an decided to play the "back of the Box" and found this, I loved this track when I was about 15. You may all think it's NAFF but along with Dusty it should be played now and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just got in an decided to play the "back of the Box" and found this, I loved this track when I was about 15. You may all think it's NAFF but along with Dusty it should be played now and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

link

Forgot to tell you what it was

AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS

ooooooooooops pissed again

Social source share

was the first record i played when i started djing. after my set i gave it away :-)

link

Do hope that was the original on bank records,or mabe the reason you gave it away is because it was MGM issue :rolleyes: .Ken

Social source share

link

What!.......Dusty should be played much more than now and again..

post-1897-1111133899_thumb.jpg

Social source share

A gorgeous record from the first oh-so-tasteful drum fill to the very last note, and one of the sounds that got me excited about the scene back in 1970.

Did I mention the sublime instrumental bridge with the delicious french horn?

Never did decipher all the lyrics, but that's partly what makes it a song I'll never tire of.

Did they record anything else? What's the Formations story? Knowledge gap needs filling here!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember Simon Mayo playing this a few times on radio one.

Disclaimer - I was working in a factory, where the ### I worked alongside just had to have radio one on at full blast. :rolleyes:beer.gif

Social source share

Did they record anything else? What's the Formations story? Knowledge gap needs filling here!

link

They had some other recordings on MGM, had one once but can't remember the title. I know they changed their name in the early 70s to "Silent Majority" and had a few nice releases on Hot Wax, one being the modern soul favorite "Something new about you".

Tomo

link

Social source share

here's what I found...........

Formed in Philadelphia in 1966. Comprised of Victor Drayton, Jerry Akins, Ernie Brooks, Reginald Turner, and Johnny Bellman, the group made its recorded debut as backing vocalists on the Coed label single "Sad Illusion," credited to Margie & the Formations. "At the Top of the Stairs" followed on Bank in 1967 -- written by Akins and soon-to-be-legendary composer/producer Leon Huff, the single boasted almost Baroque flourishes on top of its gorgeous harmonies and driving beat, anticipating the lush, shimmering Philly soul sound Huff and partner Kenny Gamble would perfect in the decade to follow. "At the Top of the Stairs" proved a local smash and was licensed to MGM for national release in 1968 -- it was not a hit, however, although a U.K. re-release in 1970 cracked the British Top 30.

Later in 1968, the Formations recorded two more MGM singles -- "Love's Not Only for the Heart" and "Don't Get Close" -- which followed a similar musical formula and met a similar commercial fate. After three consecutive singles failed at national radio, the group abandoned the Formations name, with the same five original members rechristening themselves the Corner Boys to release 1969's "Gang War (Don't Make No Sense)" on the Neptune label. After another name change, this time to the Silent Majority, the group signed to the Holland-Dozier-Holland production team's Hot Wax label for 1970's "Frightened Girl," followed a year later by "Colors of My Love." After "Good News," a one-off single for the tiny Detroit Star label, the Silent Majority agreed to give it one more go, this time as Hot Ice -- 1972's "Isn't It Lonely" landed the group a contract with Atlantic Records, for which they cut a pair of 1974 singles, "Streakin' and Freakin'" and "Boogie Joogie," before finally dissolving.

Social source share

here's what I found...........

Formed in Philadelphia in 1966. Comprised of Victor Drayton, Jerry Akins, Ernie Brooks, Reginald Turner, and Johnny Bellman, the group made its recorded debut as backing vocalists on the Coed label single "Sad Illusion," credited to Margie & the Formations. "At the Top of the Stairs" followed on Bank in 1967 -- written by Akins and soon-to-be-legendary composer/producer Leon Huff, the single boasted almost Baroque flourishes on top of its gorgeous harmonies and driving beat, anticipating the lush, shimmering Philly soul sound Huff and partner Kenny Gamble would perfect in the decade to follow. "At the Top of the Stairs" proved a local smash and was licensed to MGM for national release in 1968 -- it was not a hit, however, although a U.K. re-release in 1970 cracked the British Top 30.

Later in 1968, the Formations recorded two more MGM singles -- "Love's Not Only for the Heart" and "Don't Get Close" -- which followed a similar musical formula and met a similar commercial fate. After three consecutive singles failed at national radio, the group abandoned the Formations name, with the same five original members rechristening themselves the Corner Boys to release 1969's "Gang War (Don't Make No Sense)" on the Neptune label. After another name change, this time to the Silent Majority, the group signed to the Holland-Dozier-Holland production team's Hot Wax label for 1970's "Frightened Girl," followed a year later by "Colors of My Love." After "Good News," a one-off single for the tiny Detroit Star label, the Silent Majority agreed to give it one more go, this time as Hot Ice -- 1972's "Isn't It Lonely" landed the group a contract with Atlantic Records, for which they cut a pair of 1974 singles, "Streakin' and Freakin'" and "Boogie Joogie," before finally dissolving.

link

All this off the top of your nut then,trainspotter you :thumbsup: .Ken

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Trainspotter maybe but did a bit of browsing for this  :lol:

Knew about the MGM stuff and aware of the Coed link but wasn't aware of name change etc....always summat to learn mate  :lol:   :wicked:

link

Yus`mate,me i am not one best browsers,dont mind following links on here,but to go looking for em`NO :wicked::thumbsup: .Later Ken

Social source share

Great Old Tune.

Along with the likes of Tammi Lynn,Fascinations, The Tams Arthur Conley and countless Motown sides what I call Youth Club music and probably where most of us older feckers got a taste for the music. :thumbsup:

Tony

link

Tammi Lynn another good oldie very rarely played.

CONFESS NOW!! ALL OF YOU

Whats at the "Back of Your Box" you know that one you never play when your mates come round or even admit to owning but you do play it when when you get in after a few beers and your on your own, your realise that a back drop is a thing of the past and you want to remember your teens

Social source share

Tammi Lynn another good oldie very rarely played.

CONFESS NOW!! ALL OF YOU

Whats at the "Back of Your Box" you know that one you never play when your mates come round or even admit to owning but you do play it when when you get in after a few beers and your on your own, your realise that a back drop is a thing of the past and you want to remember your teens

link

VIPs,turnin`my heartbeat up,ho and play the B side every woman for herself,do like this :thumbsup: .Ken

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!