Styrene - Hairline Crack - Advice Please

ShorterSoul

I recently bought a styrene press 45 and on close inspection I noticed a very fine hairline crack from the label to the outer edge. Flipping it over it's the same on the other side. It doesn't appear to be cracked right through i.e. the record is still in one piece and it doesn't affect play at all... is it likely to spread or get worse or is this normal for most styrene press records..

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Jon

Edited by ShorterSoul
Social source share

i have the same on a record i bot a few year back.

should of sent it back,but it plays perfect & dosnt split when i bend it.

think they call it a stress crack.

ps hasnt got any worse.(dont keep bending it tho,just incase).

Edited by sepia
Social source share

Are you positive it's a crack because lots of styrene records have like a join which runs right across the record and looks just like a crack but is in fact something that happens in the manufacturing, the most famous of these is the MVP's where all but a handful have this going right across the record.

Social source share

Are you positive it's a crack because lots of styrene records have like a join which runs right across the record and looks just like a crack but is in fact something that happens in the manufacturing, the most famous of these is the MVP's where all but a handful have this going right across the record.

It's only half way across the record, from label to the edge. It's a very faint and fine straight line and you would not notice it unless you look at it under a bright light. I don't really want to return the 45 but am concerned that it may get worse..

Social source share

all copies of silky hargraves on dearborn have these faults in them

Social source share

So it's all the way across then (i.e. from label to edge) - could well be what I'm on about, I'll try and scan the MVP's so you can see it. It's as if when they were made there's like a join.

There was a thread concerning this a while ago,

Apparently It's the original plates used for Styrene that were damaged

and repaired giving the ghost Image of a crack which appears on Styrene Press.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

It's only half way across the record, from label to the edge. It's a very faint and fine straight line and you would not notice it unless you look at it under a bright light. I don't really want to return the 45 but am concerned that it may get worse..

mines is the same GARFIELD FLEMING / DONT SEND ME AWAY/BECKET is the record.

can any1 check there copy to see if same as mine(very faint,needs a proper look).

im happy with your story pete.

Social source share

You're right Pete. This has had a few mentions over the years.

>>> Here's a Thread - Post #13 <<< from December 2006.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I recently bought a styrene press 45 and on close inspection I noticed a very fine hairline crack from the label to the outer edge. Flipping it over it's the same on the other side. It doesn't appear to be cracked right through i.e. the record is still in one piece and it doesn't affect play at all... is it likely to spread or get worse or is this normal for most styrene press records..

thanks

Jon

A lot of these 30/40 year old records, at some time in there life, have been stored in a PAPER sleeve and kept in a WOODEN box. After people look at each record in the box, they drop the unprotected plastic record down onto the wooden surface of the box . The edge of the record hits the wood, vinyl records can stand it, but it can fracture styrene!

Social source share

• 12 years later...

I’ve had two immaculate copies of Collette Kelly’s City of Fools with this. Is this common on these also or a coincidence. In fact I have a fantastic copy of A Man Can’t Be A Man Bill Coday with the same. Please tell me this doesn’t devalue them or mean they’re fkd. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 27/12/2007 at 15:10, ShorterSoul said:

thanks

Jon

Hi Jon 

John Manship has a very good 'crack repair' video on YouTube its well worth checking out , he puts loads of stuff on there.

Social source share

2 hours ago, leebo68 said:

I’ve had two immaculate copies of Collette Kelly’s City of Fools with this. Is this common on these also or a coincidence. In fact I have a fantastic copy of A Man Can’t Be A Man Bill Coday with the same. Please tell me this doesn’t devalue them or mean they’re fkd. 

My Canadian copy of City of Fools was perfect.  Sorry can't remember if it was vinyl or styrene,  sold it a few years ago 

Social source share

On 07/12/2020 at 18:16, leebo68 said:

I don't think a pressure fault/line in styrene actually weakens the record. It isn't a crack and there is no separation. In terms of value there are a small minority of people would regard it as a crack. But, there are some folk who would say a record with 1 millimeter of lift is warped. So, the vast majority wouldn't be bothered and it shouldn't really devalue the record if it is only a pressure fault.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think a lot of these stress fractures in styrene could be caused when the records were in paper sleeves, and being dropped back down into their boxes!

If it was a pressing plant plate fault, the fractures would be in exactly the same place in relation to the runout groove/ matrix marks etc.

Don't put your glasses on when looking through your records!! This seems to get rid of a lot of defects!!!

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

On 07/12/2020 at 18:16, leebo68 said:

Regarding styrene records I think there's two issues here.

First - They are very brittle and prone to cracking at the slightest knock in storage or posting.

Second, there is definately some styrene presses that have a line through the record that looks like a crack but is more like a seam through the manufacturing process. When liquid styrene is forced into the mould it would go around both sides and have a meeting point. If everything is set up perfect you wouldn't see anything, like the majority of records. But if the liquid or tooling is too hot or cold then there could be a joining seam. I've worked with plastics, injection moulding, vac forms, HF welding and my guess is it's at the start of a run and things haven't warmed up.

Vinyl is stamped with label and styrene is injection moulded with labels added after.

I've seen this multiple times on MVPs, Benny Troy, Curtom, Polydor, Buddah.

Leebo, Collette Kelly did get a styrene press at Monarch.  If you have a scanner do a highest res scan and zoom in to have a good look to see that it's definately cracked rather than a seam. 

Edited by Alan T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Alan T said:

Regarding styrene records I think there's two issues here.

First - They are very brittle and prone to cracking at the slightest knock in storage or posting.

Second, there is definately some styrene presses that have a line through the record that looks like a crack but is more like a seam through the manufacturing process. When liguid styrene is forced into the mould it would go around both sides and have a meeting point. If everything is set up perfect you wouldn't see anything, like the majority of records. But if the liquid or tooling is too hot or cold then there could be a joining seam. I've worked with plastics, injection moulding, vac forms, HF welding and my guess is it's at the start of a run and things haven't warmed up.

Vinyl is stamped with label and styrene is injection moulded with labels added after.

I've seen this multiple times on MVPs, Benny Troy, Curtom, Polydor, Buddah.

Leebo, Collette Kelly did get a styrene press at Monarch.  If you have a scanner do a highest res scan and zoom in to have a good luck to see that it's definately cracked rather than a seam. 

Thanks very much for the advice. My Benny Troy also has same issue. I’ll have  a closer look at the C Kelly thanks again. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, CarlF said:

I don't think a pressure fault/line in styrene actually weakens the record. It isn't a crack and there is no separation. In terms of value there are a small minority of people would regard it as a crack. But, there are some folk who would say a record with 1 millimeter of lift is warped. So, the vast majority wouldn't be bothered and it shouldn't really devalue the record if it is only a pressure fault.

This is reassuring thanks. Just handle with care I think. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Halogen said:

I think a lot of these stress fractures in styrene could be caused when the records were in paper sleeves, and being dropped back down into their boxes!

If it was a pressing plant plate fault, the fractures would be in exactly the same place in relation to the runout groove/ matrix marks etc.

Don't put your glasses on when looking through your records!! This seems to get rid of a lot of defects!!!

Haha. Started finding so many styrene records with this issue I was getting scared to get them out. There seems to be a common answer also though that it happens in the moulding process which is reassuring but styrene is still a nightmare. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

These styrene stress fracture marks could be damage through mishandling, or as mentioned due to the manufacturing process. 

I do think when a record is being graded for sale, defects like these should be mentioned!

I have two copies of "Prove It To Me" Garnett Mimms on UA.  One has fracture marks and the other looks perfect without any fractures.

So if i was buying them, I would pay more for the one that looks better even though they both play perfectly.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!