Teddy Hill& The Southern Soul On Rice

Just picked this up in a big trade with my friend tonight(lots of stacker 3's and some very intense negotiation...). Came out with some goodies: rotations-i can't find her, baby washington-leave me alone, bobby patterson to name a few. But the one I am inquiring about is Teddy Hill-I Just Dropped In/Stagger Lee on Rice. Great version of Betty Lavette-What Condition. Anyone have an estimated value? I would rate a few notches higher thatn Betty. Her version just seems "lighter" in comparison to this cut. Check it out...

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Jamie

Manship books it at £50

The Betty LaVette version on Karen books at £75, and has been commanding figures over £100 recently.

I may be wrong, but I think the interest has come about because of the new Sharon Jones 'cover version' on Daptone Records, championed by Keb Darge amongst others.

My opinion is that it lacks the tempo to do justice to the lyrics. Having said that, it has its own appeal, and I'm sure some will like it.

Just not fast enough for me :rolleyes:

Jamie :rolleyes:

Social source share

Agree with Jamie about tempo, but there is something intriguing about it & most people have played too like it.

My favourite version is by Jerry Lee Lewis on an LP I would say is late 60's & him covering Soul tunes (treat her right, Shotgun wedding). It is quite R&b'ish & if I can work out later will put up soundfile

Mike

Social source share

Guest rachel

Could be a case of preferring the one I heard first but don't like this anywhere near as much as Betty Lavette. Don't dislike this one, a good version in it's own right but I like the 'lightness' of Betty's version and the slightly rushed feel of the tempo, think it works well with the lyrics.

Social source share

Been playing Betty Lavettes version for nearly ten years now, bought it when it was a £5 cheapie, great to see its finally getting some recognition.

Can't see how anyone could ever say that she did a 'light' version of this track, it fair rips along with a belting vocal.

This version just lacks any 'Oomph!', very lacklustre...

WOOF!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!