Record pricing????

doowopmick

Having come back to the scene,allthough I dont think it ever leaves you, I have made a list of my fav tracks and slowly but surely gaining a collection again. Is there a definitive price guide or is it just experience from you guys who quote prices.

I read a bad review about Manship's on Amazon. Looking at Gemm prices dont half vary!

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I have found the best way to get a difinitive price is to win a record on ebay, then see same record in every box, at every do for the next year at 1/3 to 1/2 the price you paid for it!!

Seriously tho, the Manship book isnt a bad guide at all. He does say in it that the prices are constantly changing, and the prices are what he has sold the records for. With the big discovery of tracks in the States last year, many of those prices are at last beginning to drop, at least a tiny bit anyway. And isnt it true of any market, prices vary. According to whether the record is currently in vogue, look at Bobby Garrett when the KFC ad was on TV all the time, and the quality of the vinyl will have a massive bearing on the price too.

I like to stick to well known and reputable dealers, but that doesnt mean you are always going to get a bargain, but you should still be paying a fair price.

Social source share

thanks for that Mikey I suppose if two people want a record so much the bidding keeps going! I keep losing out on Ebay, recently with Lou johnson- Unsatisfied, B J Thomas - I dont have... and Robert John - Raindrops... I will have to raise my bidding hence my initial question. Who is the bugger who stays up till 4am to sneek it? I keep telling the wife they are all 5.00 reissues she is bound to notice!

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Mick

I agree with Mikey that the John Manship Guide is a good starter, especially if you're bidding on eBay - but it is only a guide. It will tell you if something has been booted previously (which is quite useful), then you should be a little cautious and do a little research if that record is placed on eBay.

Additionally the guide will give you an idea if you are staring at a really rare record and give you some guidance as to whether bidding is likely to be furious - take a look at the Antellects 'Love Slave' on the eBay Auction Results page - started at $3.99, sold within 7 days for almost $3,500 - which is roughly the price shown in the JM Guide (£2.000).

In terms of getting up at 4 am to get the record you want, in some cases you just have to do it mate, and time your final bid well; however if you're bidding against someone using Bidsniper and they're prepared to place a higher bid than you, then you won't win - then you'll realise you should have satyed in bed, but you don't know at the time of bidding if someone is using Bidsniper. If you do get your timing right and offer the right price I find you win more than you lose - it's all part of the fun; it also adds a new dimension to the 'chase' we have all been hooked on since the mid '60s.

The records you list as having 'lost' will almost certainly turn up on eBay again. Use the eBay automatic notifiaction to let you know when they are next listed.

Happy hunting and (hopefully) not too many early mornings.

Going back to bed now - see ya!

Brian

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The book also has some nice surprises. Like Sleepy Brian says, it lets you know if a record has been booted or not. I had a copy of Dickie Wonder on Golden Triangle, in my 'crap' box kept in my mothers attic, dad bought it in a group sale of a guy who was bored with Northern Soul and was forming a punk band. Think he paid either £2.50 or £5 for 5 records. I just assumed they were all boots and left them in that box for 20 odd years. I got a pleasant shock on reading in John's guide that it hadnt been booted and it can go for £200. Last weekend I reclaimed it and it now lives happily in my 'not so crap box' at the end of my bed. Try as I might I cant convince Irish Greg that my International GTO's is an original tho :-)

Social source share

Prices on ebay are definitely affected by so-called current demand, or as Mikey rightly says 'in vogue'. Look at Sister James (N Tempo) for example, bit played out now but at the same time a good time to grab one of ebay as it is coming down in price. Then you look at stuff like Julian Covey 'A Little Bit Hurt', Ace Spectrum 'Dont Send Nobody Else' - go for good money on ebay, had both years back and couldnt give them away! I wont name names but some collectors are also charging exagerrated prices for stuff so you have to be careful. Look around before you buy but by all means dont leave it too late! My policy for ebay is that if I see a record on there I put in my maximum bid (the most I value the record at - or can afford at the time) - leave it alone and look at the ned of the auction - if i win great, if i dont then try again next time. No good sitting up til 4 in the morning. Or subscribe to Bidsnipe (but less fun).

Grant

Social source share

Mick

Additionally the guide will give you an idea if you are staring at a really rare record and give you some guidance as to whether bidding is likely to be furious - take a look at the Antellects 'Love Slave' on the eBay Auction Results page - started at .99, sold within 7 days for almost ,500 - which is roughly the price shown in the JM Guide (£2.000).

Brian

The Antellects did looked f*****!!! What price mint? The previous one on ebay bought by well known dj for £2500, pretty sure that one came from the LA haul. Can't remember who was selling latest one.

Social source share

chalky - Ginger guested on allfm radio show on sunday and brought along his copy of Antellects ' Love Slave' which he played- Nice mint copy, he paid a damn site more than what the rough one went for on ebay. The Antellects were apparently a rock band and 'Love Slave' is the B-Side.

Grant

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As a point of interest, well to me anyway. When stations like radio 1 play records I belive about £100 or so is paid in royalties. So with lots of local stations having slots, even radio 2 last year, of Northern soul shows, what happens to the royalites of someone like Sandi Shelton, before it was finally discovered who she was, etc.

Social source share

Cant answer that one Mikey - one for real radio ham that one! Most local stations are obviously run on a very tight budget, most being run voluntary. Allfm goes out every sun 4-6pm and the likes of myself and geoff allman take +2 hours out to host the show for ian and jeanette for nothing, basically because of our luv for the music and knowing that people are enjoying listening to a bit of soul every sunday afternoon. local stations couldnt afford to pay an artist £100 every time they play a record. You could realyy go deep and ask who pays any royalties to the artist when they are on websites e.g. soulclub, soul-source and so on. Be interested to hear if jazzfm pay royalties?? Good point mate, but radio 1 we ain't.

atb

Grant

Social source share

chalky - Ginger guested on allfm radio show on sunday and brought along his copy of Antellects ' Love Slave' which he played- Nice mint copy, he paid a damn site more than what the rough one went for on ebay. The Antellects were apparently a rock band and 'Love Slave' is the B-Side.

Grant

I honestly couldn't remember what he paid when asked elsewhere but it's been suggested 9k. I know he paid a damn sight more than the ones on ebay but there was still only three or so known copies at the time and no one saw what was coming witht he LA haul, even though folk in the know knew there was a large amount of records there.

It al comes down to what you can afford and what you are wiling to pay. If you can afford £xxxx then all the price guides in the world are useless. Any price guide is just someones matter of opinion.

Social source share

grant

think you find all local and national radio pay "royalties" via an org like the "performing rights society"

which from what i read collects and distributes royalties on behalf of artists

theres a web page with info at

https://www.prs.co.uk/

https://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/

And would have thought any legal radio station not paying their dues would be closed down fairly swift

Not a expert by any means, but sure there may be one or two out there who know more about it and can shout if got it wrong.

On web sites

Not really happy with being grouped with likes of soul club

:)

But way see and do things on here since aware of the issue a few years ago

try and use the following methods,

sounds clipped from full length

no download ability

sounds mixed in as per "6-pac sessions"

avoid non-cd released tracks

idea being to highlight some of the great sounds made that maybe some not aware of

ands also what great sounds can hear out and about from todays djs and at todays events

can only speak about this site,

Not really in mood for a rant, so won't bother putting up my view on some sites out there, who do things like request donations for access etc etc

Social source share

grant

nought was intended in reply

it was just a tounge in cheek sort of thing,

as those who know my views on sites like "soul club" would perhaps find it amusing this site getting grouped with them

know many do support that site, and meself have no hang ups with that, each to their own and all that, respect all different views, tastes, points of view etc

might not agree with them like, but still respect them

:)

mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!