Shoulda Gone Massive

Simsy

Just listened to Garland Green - Don't Let Love Walk Out On Us RCA 10889 1977

Great record, (£25 Shifty) Been £25 for 25 years! Well maybe not, but a long time. Vastly under rated and underplayed imo.

What other records never really made it? Twice! Flop on general release and flop on the NS scene?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Theres hundreds of records out there in the same mould ian sims.But if they dont get the dance floor filled im afraid its the old tryed and trusted box standard oldie.You cant blame the djs there only doing their job.

Social source share

Theres hundreds of records out there in the same mould ian sims.But if they dont get the dance floor filled im afraid its the old tryed and trusted box standard oldie.You cant blame the djs there only doing their job.

link

I know what you mean Shrine. Don't know about tried and trusted oldies. Some 'newies' are instant and go massive. I'm talking about sounds that may have been perhaps overlooked to some degree, deserved better maybe biggrin.gif

Social source share

Its true ian alot of sounds dont get the airplay they deserve.I suppose its coming round to who evers djing you will either hear the sound you want or not.Not getting into any politics you understand ian.

Social source share

Its true ian alot of sounds dont get the airplay they deserve.I suppose its coming round to who evers djing you will either hear the sound you want or not.Not getting into any politics you understand ian.

link

I understand biggrin.gif Don't really think this is that much of a political hot potato as such and not really blaming any dj's per say. Although another vastly underplayed would be monster is Steve Aldo - You're Absolutely right - PARLAPHONE Evey time I ask Mick Smith to play it, he takes it out of his box and shows me as if to say "yeah, here you are", but never/rarely plays the bugger! :lol:

Social source share

How so?  It's got everything, uptempo, fantastic vocal, great pacey dancer ???

Sure you didn't mean Garland Green? biggrin.gif

link

No I meant Jerry Jackson, it's horrible early 60's pop like most of his records. I love the Steve Aldo record though (and on the same label, John Andrews & The Lonely Ones - It's just love)

Social source share

No I meant Jerry Jackson, it's horrible early 60's pop like most of his records.  I love the Steve Aldo record though (and on the same label, John Andrews & The Lonely Ones - It's just love)

link

Furry muff, biggrin.gif although it's rough out there's a bit of a biggie.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Excellent tune  :thumbsup:

link

During The Late 80's And Early 90's Myself And Glyn reardon Specificly Collected And Searched For Unknown And semi-Known Northern ,We found A lot Of Crap But Also A Lot Of Stuff That Was (And Still Is ) Overlooked.

We Put On A few Soul Nights In This Vain And Were Virtually' run Out Of Town' For trying To Play New Music :rolleyes:

Three Of The Tracks That I Used To Play Have Recently Been Discused On This Forum ,Chantels,Ann caudell And Now The Steve aldo,Which i Telephoned Pete smith One saturday Afternoon A Few Years Ago For Info Which He happily Gave Me (Thanks Again) :rolleyes: . The Great Man Guy Hennigan Once said "Every Record Has Its Day" Which Has proved To Be True ,eg.. Ruby Andrews

What I Reckon It All Boils Down To Is Who Plays It, Not What It Sounds Like,If Top Dj,s Played These Records Then They Would go .This Happens On A Local Scale ,A Popular Dj Plays A Record That Gets Popular At The Local Soul Night But Thats Probably The Only Place Said Record Gets Played.A Good Example Of This Would Have Been The Old Sweet Pee club In Hinckley .

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Just listened to Garland Green - Don't Let Love Walk Out On Us RCA 10889  1977

Great record, (£25 Shifty)  Been £25 for 25 years! Well maybe not, but a long time. Vastly under rated and underplayed imo. 

What other records never really made it? Twice!  Flop on general release and flop on the NS scene?

link

Always wondered why Betty Turner " be careful girl" doesnt get many spins

Social source share

EXCELLENT CHOICE IAN

...TRY THIS ONE

link

Yes very good Miss P. :thumbsup: Had to wait til lunchtime today to listen at work as home pc is a little asthmatic, runs on gas! Nice tune, like the early stuff was talking to Nick Brown about early soul on Saturday, Eddie Day & the Four Bars etc. Have you heard a Roy Hamilton album track called 'Don't come crying to me' deserves a listen :thumbsup:

Social source share

Linda,

I can't thank you enough for putting this up!

I've been raving about it ever since you played it at the Hideaway and was breathtaken by its beauty.

Everyone I spoke to had never heard of it and said all his other recordings were terrible.

This is a real gem.

Hoorah to you. At least now Orton can claps his ears round it for the first time.....

M

Social source share

Linda,

I've been raving about it ever since you played it at the Hideaway and was breathtaken by its beauty.

Everyone I spoke to had never heard of it and said all his other recordings were terrible.

This is a real gem.

Hoorah to you. At least now Orton can claps his ears round it for the first time.....

M

link

Are you talking about the JJ track Matt?

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Linda,

This is a real gem.

M

link

I've clasped and I like it , moves along really nicely and the way he sings the title line is beautiful until it finishes you don't realise it moves along at quite a brisk pace (to me being a mid temp bod anyway)

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Yes very good Miss P.  :lol:   Had to wait til lunchtime today to listen at work as home pc is a little asthmatic, runs on gas!  Nice tune, like the early stuff was talking to Nick Brown about early soul on Saturday, Eddie Day & the Four Bars etc.  Have you heard a Roy Hamilton album track called 'Don't come crying to me' deserves a listen :thumbsup:

link

glad you liked it Ian

I have dont come crying to me by a guy called davy jones on disque vogue, i dont know if it's the same song tho

do you have a sound file of either of the songs you mentioned?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Linda,

This is a real gem.

M

link

WOW...SOMEONE LIKES ONE OF MY SONGS !!!! I'M GOBSMACKED

Seriously tho..I think its brill...I got it from Belgium...but i wasnt sure how it would go over here, but up to now every time i've spun it..its gone really well :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I've clasped and I like it , moves along really nicely and the way he sings the title line is beautiful until it finishes you don't realise it moves along at quite a brisk pace (to me being a mid temp bod anyway)

:thumbsup:

link

I even promise I wont ruin it by calling it 'POPCORN'...ha ha ha

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I even promise I wont ruin it by calling it 'POPCORN'...ha ha ha

link

Linda ,

Heard a track at the greatstone on saturday by Ed Ricks called " heartbreak boulevard" do you know anything about price etc ?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Linda ,

Heard a track at the greatstone on saturday by Ed Ricks called " heartbreak boulevard" do you know anything about price etc ?

link

no joe, but i'll ask about and see if i can dig up any info

Social source share

Thought it might be worth mentioning that  'Where are you' by The Four Sonics on Triple B records is identical to Johnny Dixon,  giving you a double chance at getting the record cheaply

Dazz

link

Dazz, is it the same vocal track as Johnny Dixon?

Pat Brady has a Johnny Dixon £60, and did have a Four Sonics £40

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Yes very good Miss P.  :lol:   Had to wait til lunchtime today to listen at work as home pc is a little asthmatic, runs on gas!  Nice tune, like the early stuff was talking to Nick Brown about early soul on Saturday, Eddie Day & the Four Bars etc.  Have you heard a Roy Hamilton album track called 'Don't come crying to me' deserves a listen :lol:

link

Roy Hamilton came out on 45 and there is rather a good UK version, by someone I can't remember off the top of my head, anybody else know it?

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I understand :lol:   Don't really think this is that much of a political hot potato as such and not really blaming any dj's per say.  Although another vastly underplayed would be monster is Steve Aldo - You're Absolutely right - PARLAPHONE  Evey time I ask Mick Smith to play it, he takes it out of his box and shows me as if to say "yeah, here you are", but never/rarely plays the bugger!  :lol:

link

IAN-I WILL SPIN IT AT THE NEXT 100 CLUB.

Social source share

glad you liked it Ian

I have dont come crying to me by a guy called davy jones on disque vogue, i dont know if it's the same song tho

do you have a sound file of either of the songs you mentioned?

link

Yeah think that is the same track, not been able to 'kick it' tho as still at work - min vol etc. No joy on sound files sadly, KTF still shut, think the Soul Police nabbed them :lol: The Eddie Day track is Whats on your mind 1958/59 Shrine?

I think, I'm not sure the Roy Hamilton may have been issued as a single on Epic :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!