Tolbert - I Got It

Pete S

I just heard this on the soundfiles section and I think the impossible has happened and I have found a record that is actually WORSE than Larry Houston. What on earth makes companies put out records like this which are so bad that surely not even the singers own relations could have bought a copy. Worst record I've ever heard.

p.s. I liked the instrumental of Peanut Duck though

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 91
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No it's not, it's utter, utter shit.  Please tell me what I am missing here, it's badly sung, badly produced, badly played and is f*cking shit.  What is it you like about it so I know where I'm going wrong?

link

It just makes the hairs on my neck stand up when it's played out.I think it's awesome,but hey,horses for courses and all that biggrin.gif

Pete

Social source share

I just heard this on the soundfiles section and I think the impossible has happened and I have found a record that is actually BETTER than Larry Houston. Best record I've ever heard.

p.s. I didn't like the instrumental of Peanut Duck though

link

:graynone: biggrin.gif

Social source share

But Pete S, you have to like it because it's thousands of pounds biggrin.gif  

If it was only a fiver I would not buy it, to my ear it is distinctly average, but each to their own.

Martyn

link

Is it seriously thousands of pounds?

Makes you think what something like Tainted Love or Love You Baby would be worth if they were rare.

Anyone who would consider paying more than a quid for that pile of crap needs treatment.

It's the sort of record that drives people away from venues - if I knew I was going somewhere and that sort of thing was likely to be played, I'd stay at home and watch MOTD like I usually do

p.s. that really was the first time I heard it

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

No it's not, it's utter, utter shit.  Please tell me what I am missing here, it's badly sung, badly produced, badly played and is f*cking shit.  What is it you like about it so I know where I'm going wrong?

link

In your opinion perhaps, but I like it, and think he has a great voice :yes: but as bad as it sounds, I'm sure I'd feel differently if it was only worth a tenna :rolleyes:

There's a copy of the other Tolbert record on Rojac on ebay. Probably done now though. It was 12" but I can't remember what it was called. I know it had the same B-side as "I've got it", but the name of that escapes me too :rolleyes: "Lucky guy" or something like that. Anyone got a soundfile of this side? :)

Mark :thumbsup:

P.S. Isn't he the same guy as O.C. Tolbert? If so I'm pretty sure he's had more than 3 records out! ..unless you meant just those credited to "Tolbert" of course blush.gif

Social source share

In your opinion perhaps, but I like it, and think he has a great voice :yes: but as bad as it sounds, I'm sure I'd feel differently if it was only worth a tenna :rolleyes:

There's a copy of the other Tolbert record on Rojac on ebay. Probably done now though. It was 12" but I can't remember what it was called. I know it had the same B-side as "I've got it", but the name of that escapes me too :rolleyes: "Lucky guy" or something like that. Anyone got a soundfile of this side? :)

Mark :thumbsup:

P.S. Isn't he the same guy as O.C. Tolbert? If so I'm pretty sure he's had more than 3 records out! ..unless you meant just those credited to "Tolbert" of course blush.gif

link

Social source share

If i had the 2/3 k needed to own this oh soooo soulful record i would snap it up.

Just got a cdr of it ( thanks Ian ) & played it over the phone to two mates who have never heard it............. verdict, both loved it.

If you dont like modern soul then it aint gonna do it for ya. To my ears this is a top top sound. I dont give a toss about how rare it is in fact i hope someone finds a whole shed full of em so i can own a copy.

Garv.

Social source share

Guest dodger

I just heard this on the soundfiles section and I think the impossible has happened and I have found a record that is actually WORSE than Larry Houston.  What on earth makes companies put out records like this which are so bad that surely not even the singers own relations could have bought a copy.  Worst record I've ever heard.

link

:rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbsup:blush.gif:yes: No mate, the worst record ever is Pierre Hunt "I've Got To Have Your Love" or whatever it's called. Hideous shite.

Social source share

An OK record in my opinion and I think the same about Fluorescent Smogg. There's so many better records out there between £5 - £20 in my opinion.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I like it. I think the bass makes it a great dancer, but then again I like stuff like this anyways.

The only thing that lets it down is its rarity.

Not enough to go round :rolleyes:

Jamie

Social source share

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :thumbsup:   laugh.gif   :yes:   No mate, the worst record ever is Pierre Hunt "I've Got To Have Your Love" or whatever it's called.  Hideous shite.

link

Not quite Dodge; the worst record is "Cat's Eyes" by Life. If Philips pressed that today they'd breach some obscure EU regulation about misuse of vinyl. :)

Social source share

Guest dodger

Not quite Dodge; the worst record is "Cat's Eyes" by Life. If Philips pressed that today they'd breach some obscure EU regulation about misuse of vinyl. :rolleyes:

link

And if Soul Sam or Butch played it, everyone would want it and it'd end up costing two grand or more :rolleyes:

Social source share

Here's a playlist from one of Sams sets.....

Tommy Ridgely My Love Gets Stronger International City

Robert Tanner Sweet Memories Megatone

Hamilton Movement Shes Gone Look Out

Jerry Washington Don't Waste My Love Glades

King Moses I Got This Feeling Pet

Margaret Little Love Finds A Way Genebro

Cashmeres Don't Let The Door Hit Your Back Hem

Cameros We're Not Too Young Dar Char

Celebrities I Choose You Baby Boss

Gentlemen Four You Can't Keep A Good Man Down Wand

Bobby Kline Say Something Nice To Me MB

Tolbert I've Got Love Rojac

Bill Brandon Whatever I Am I'm Yours Moonsong

Combinations I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Kimtone

Cynthia & Imaginations Why Weren't You There Blue Rock

Kenny Carlton Lost And Found Blue Rock

Joseph Webster I'll Let Love Grow Stronger Crow

Wee Try Me Owl

Earnestine Eady Lets Talk It Over Phil-LA-Soul

Eddie Whitehead Just Your Fool Blackjack

New Wanderers Ain't Gonna Do You No Harm Ready

Chuck Holiday I Still Love You Hemisphere

Out Of Sights For The Rest Of My Life Saru

nowt wrong with that little lot (IMHO) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest hammy

Tommy Ridgely My Love Gets Stronger International City

Robert Tanner Sweet Memories Megatone

Hamilton Movement Shes Gone Look Out

Jerry Washington Don't Waste My Love Glades

King Moses I Got This Feeling Pet

Margaret Little Love Finds A Way Genebro

Cashmeres Don't Let The Door Hit Your Back Hem

Cameros We're Not Too Young Dar Char

Celebrities I Choose You Baby Boss

Gentlemen Four You Can't Keep A Good Man Down Wand

Bobby Kline Say Something Nice To Me MB

Tolbert I've Got Love Rojac

Bill Brandon Whatever I Am I'm Yours Moonsong

Combinations I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Kimtone

Cynthia & Imaginations Why Weren't You There Blue Rock

Kenny Carlton Lost And Found Blue Rock

Wee Try Me Owl

Earnestine Eady Lets Talk It Over Phil-LA-Soul

Eddie Whitehead Just Your Fool Blackjack

New Wanderers Ain't Gonna Do You No Harm Ready

Out Of Sights For The Rest Of My Life Saru

nowt wrong with that little lot (IMHO)  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

link

I agree and have to say his sets at the Lifeline are very enjoyable !

I whistled :thumbsup: along to the flute break in the New Wanderers and I only whistle when I'm enjoying myself !

Hammy

Social source share

There's a copy of the other Tolbert record on Rojac on ebay. Probably done now though. It was 12" but I can't remember what it was called. I know it had the same B-side as "I've got it", but the name of that escapes me too :yes: "Lucky guy" or something like that. Anyone got a soundfile of this side? :)

Mark :yes:

link

The third one is called "Here I am" - it's actually quite a reasonable ballad / slowie - so I guess it won't make Pete S's wants list then....I got it in NY years ago for $2. What a shame it wasn't "I got it"... :yes:

Social source share

Getting off tack here I suppose but Sam's sets (and just about all the other dj's) at the Orwell/ Yarmouth are far beyond criticism, Alex Brown, Solid Solution, Robert Tanner 'the Smogg' et al, bloody marvellous.

Jim.

link

I've not heard any of those but they are all rubbish :yes:

Social source share

I've not heard any of those but they are all rubbish  :yes:

link

:yes:

BTW, 'Bigboy' was responsible for Cats Eyes. He covered it as The Soul Agents -

'Grooving'

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I just heard this on the soundfiles section and I think the impossible has happened and I have found a record that is actually WORSE than Larry Houston.  What on earth makes companies put out records like this which are so bad that surely not even the singers own relations could have bought a copy.  Worst record I've ever heard.

link

Couldn't agree more Pete i bow my head in your general direction and salute your impeccable taste :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah right :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I knew you would come round eventually  :thumbsup:

link

i think i may be suffering from heat stroke are you coming to the Orwell on Sunday Pete ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Another one by him? I know he has at least one more 45 on Crow, but this is not it is it? Typo?

It should be GLORIA and not Hemisphere shouldn't it?

About Tolbert, my belief is that it is indeed the same guy as O.C. Tolbert, just like Christian B. already pointed out, who put out a number of records under this name as well as King Diamond. I think the big one discussed here is OK, great vocals, but I don't like the disco parts and girlie backing vocals that much. A pretty good 'modern soul' record even if I personally don't think it is four figures good. There are many cheapies from the same time that do a lot more fo me, but I guess this is true with many other big money items too.

Social source share

About Tolbert, my belief is that it is indeed the same guy as O.C. Tolbert, just like Christian B. already pointed out, who put out a number of records under this name as well as King Diamond.

It's not a belief - its a fact that Tolbert was the same as guy as O.C.Tolbert whistling.gif

Social source share

It's not a belief - its a fact that Tolbert was the same as guy as O.C.Tolbert  thumbsup.gif

link

I know, and before I knew I was convinced it was the same guy, I just did not want to seem too pushy. :thumbsup: I remember when you were very sceptical that it was the same guy and demanded proof maybe a year ago or so (time flies, maybe it was longer?) when myself and others claimed it was the same guy so not strange (even though I think it is strange, follow me?) if some people don't think it is the same guy. The important thing is that he was a great artist, even if he was only one person. smile.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!