Plinston

I just got back home from ther Plinston event at Letchworth, I have never been so dissapointed with an event in my life. Im 37 years old and first got into the scene at the age of ten, Scunthorpe and Cleepthorpes were my home teritory,with the awsome DJ's of the likes of Rick Scott, the music was awsome. I have been into this music you could say all of my life, i know the good songs and hell i know the bad...

Tonight at Plinston started off ok, but after 11pm it went totaly down hill, dont know where they got the dj from Gary Belcher but he was a waste of space, and he was the guest DJ ? Every record he played was dire, just got worse. I will never ever attend Plinston in Letchworth ever again, they simply do not have the records and they just like modern too much and i for one just dont want to hear it.

• Replies 73
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just got back home from ther Plinston event at Letchworth, I have never been so dissapointed with an event in my life. Im 37 years old and first got into the scene at the age of ten, Scunthorpe and Cleepthorpes were my home teritory,with the awsome DJ's of the likes of Rick Scott, the music was awsome. I have been into this music you could say all of my life, i know the good songs and hell i know the bad...

Tonight at Plinston started off ok, but after 11pm it went totaly down hill, dont know where they got the dj from Gary Belcher but he was a waste of space, and he was the guest DJ ? Every record he played was dire, just got worse. I will never ever attend Plinston in Letchworth ever again, they simply do not have the records and they just like modern too much and i for one just dont want to hear it.

link

Just got back from there.Thought that Hammy's spot was excellent but due to the poor attendance it was'nt easy for the other Dj's to follow.People just drifted home for an early night,shame really as people and venue are superb.give it another try,although have to agree about the "modern when they have a dedicated room for it upstairs"

Regards Soulster22 :rolleyes:

link

Hi ya VicG,

Proberly not my place to answer this, so i'll leave all the details for Neil to fill in.

Firstly sorry it was such a dissapointment, it was for all of us blush.gif . Usualy Plinston is on a Friday night, and the main room is always packed out and so is the modern room, which means when you dj you can build up the atmosphere. Most of the time you can't even get a space on the fllor to dance.. :rolleyes:

I guest dj'd tonight from 10 till 11, and to be honest with you, it was really hard, and at times impossible. I had things I wanted to play, but because of the number of people in there, I chose to play a safe set, I imagine all the Dj's done the same thing, which may explain music quality. I don't know how far you had to travel, if it wasn't to far, please give the May one a try (Friday 6th May?).As i'm sure on a normal night you would have enjoyed it. Don't take tonight as an example it really wasn't.

Any way, i'm off to bed it's 4.30 and i've just got in...and can't think staright or spell..........goodnight.. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Mischief

Edited by mischief

I would imagine attendances at many dos around the country are well down. The result is almost certainly down to Prestatyn.

2 allniters on consecutive nites plus a late finish on the Sunday has wiped a lot of people out. Almost every body I know came back with some sort of virus & many people are in 'recovery mode'.

"although have to agree about the modern when they have a dedicated room for it upstairs"

Agree with Soulsters comments above.

Have previously watched Sam doing an absolutely blinding modern set upstairs with packed danced floor. The witnessed him trot downstairs into the big northern room & play similar tunes & clear the floor.

link

Hello VicG,

I was unable to attend Plinston last night which is the first one I've missed in 18 months so I am unable to comment on how it went. I would say that normally Plinston is a fantastic do. If numbers were well down then it is hard both for the DJs and the punters to build a good atmosphere in such a large venue. I went to the Soul night at Hitchin FC the other week and although the music was top notch because so few people were there I left feeling a bit flat.

I don't know how far you had to travel but I strongly recommend that you give it another go.

The guys and girls who work hard to put Plinston together are some of the best people I've met on our scene and they will be upset to read your post.

Hope you have a rethink and give Plinston another chance...

Hi all,

Don't you lot ever get any sleep!!! I have read the above comments and will try and answer them as best I can, and I was going to put a posting here anyway but you lot obviously have nothing better to do in your life and beat me to it :-)))

Numbers were well down on a normal night and we think this was due to the change to a Saturday night, as opposed to a Friday, the fact both Stoke and Skegness were on and, as someone pointed out, everywhere still suffering the after effects of the weekender (as I know of other venues that shared similar numbers.)

The Ghetto! was its usual fun filled affair and have recieved nothing but good comments and I myself had a great time up there, in between running around doing promoter things. The Main Hall as very hard to get going and as stated above it made it difficult for all the DJs, myself included, to play a 'normal' Plinston set. However I do not accept that Gary Belcher should be singled out as he spun a balanced set aimed at the crowd. You may not have enjoyed it Vic but that is your preference, there were plenty that did.

I do take issue with your comment Vic that we simply do not have the sounds. We have had many guest DJs spinning all of the top sounds over the years, both current Monsters and Forgotten Oldies, and have recieved much positive feedback about this both on here and in various media outlets. It's unfortunate that your first visit, and I am assuming it is your first, to our venue fell on what was our lowest turn-out and I hope that you will at least give it another try on Friday May 6th when our guests will be Molly and Sean Chapman to experience the club in all it's glory.

The Modern issue is always a hard one :-) We do spin some Modern in the Main Room, mostly classic dancers that have been played on the Northern scene, as we do get requests for it but I have taken on board your points. I take it you wont be attending our first 100% Modern Soul event on sat. April 16th then :-)

In conclusion, it was a quiet night but most had a good time and we should be back up to our normal standard and numbers on May 6th.

Edited by TheBigO

I made my first trip to plinston last night.I did feel for the dj,s but having read some of the reports from other nights at plinston i realized that numbers were down.I did go up to the modern room and thought there was a good atmospere in there and enjoyed the music being played.Iam sure on a normal friday night with the northern room full it is a really good soul night,i for one look forward some time of returning to plinston.

Guest j a c k o

It's odd that Vic sings the praise of Cleethorpes in it's golden days and then goes on to say that there was too much modern soul played at Letchworth on Saturday. I always thought the Cleethorpes venues championed a mixed playlist in their heyday and were at the forefront of playing the newer sounds.

Also Vic, I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at a particular DJ the way you did. To be honest the Plinston was very quiet - especially downstairs. I don't think it would have made a great deal of difference who was guesting. A big venue needs a big crowd.

Give it another chance when it's back to the normal Friday, you won't be disappointed.

Jacko

It's odd that Vic sings the praise of Cleethorpes in it's golden days and then goes on to say that there was too much modern soul played at Letchworth on Saturday. I always thought the Cleethorpes venues championed a mixed playlist in their heyday and were at the forefront of playing the newer sounds.

Also Vic, I think it's a bit unfair to have a go at a particular DJ the way you did. To be honest the Plinston was very quiet - especially downstairs. I don't think it would have made a great deal of difference who was guesting. A big venue needs a big crowd.

Give it another chance when it's back to the normal Friday, you won't be disappointed.

Jacko

link

Well in '78 i would have been 10 years old, i never went to the pier or winter gardens untill i was much older, i was making refference to the dj Rick Scott, he was a resident dj on the pier and he used to have a venue in Scunthorpe simply called Soul Scene, the kind of sounds i heard there have stuck with me for life, for example lou pride, jackie lee, contours,clyde mcphater just to name a few of the stormers, as far as xover modern maybe carstairs and millie jackson is all i can remember hearing.

I agree i shouldnt have singled anyone out, i just found it hard that the 10-11pm set was a good one and after that the floor just cleared without an attempt to fill it again, the dancers that cleared the floor would have hit the floor again if some monster tracks were to be played but they never came, resulting in people heading off home early or going upstairs to see what all the fuss is about with modern :rolleyes:

Having read many praises for Plinston i can only retract my earlier dissapointed post and give it another try in the future, i agree you need numbers to make an event of a night, but its still no excuse to play what you call a safe set, which is average sounds, if you have the good records dont be shy, play them, they will certainly be danced to:)

Vic

Guest boots

Well in '78 i would have been 10 years old, i never went to the pier or winter gardens untill i was much older, i was making refference to the dj Rick Scott, he was a resident dj on the pier and he used to have a venue in Scunthorpe simply called Soul Scene, the kind of sounds i heard there have stuck with me for life, for example lou pride, jackie lee, contours,clyde mcphater just to name a few of the stormers, as far as xover modern maybe carstairs and millie jackson is all i can remember hearing.

I agree i shouldnt have singled anyone out, i just found it hard that the 10-11pm set was a good one and after that the floor just cleared without an attempt to fill it again, the dancers that cleared the floor would have hit the floor again if some monster tracks were to be played but they never came, resulting in people heading off home early or going upstairs to see what all the fuss is about with modern :rolleyes:

Having read many praises for Plinston i can only retract my earlier dissapointed post and give it another try in the future, i agree you need numbers to make an event of a night, but its still no excuse to play what you call a safe set, which is average sounds, if you have the good records dont be shy, play them, they will certainly be danced to:)

hi vic

if you are who i think you are you spent a lot of time chatting with me husband last night and he had already relayed your comments to me on the way home,i help the big o run the plinston and yes it was a difficult night last night but please bear in mind the stoke alniter was on and was also down in numbers as we had many text from friends and members that were attending the event and i think this is due to the skegness weekender,every now and then you get a duff night but i have to say dissapointingly enough the was our first so it was hard on us promoters to.

please dont be put off by this as you will see from the other posts we normally have a blinding time and are all up for a bit of a laugh as well as appreciating fantastic soul music,just for your info i have to agree with soulsmith we are not as young as we were and the weekenders do take there toll

p.s give my love to billy mack

boots

Vic

link

Yeah no worries boots, i never posted with the intention of hurting anyones feelings i just posted how i felt at 2am when i got in. I appreciate it cant be easy to organise events and it must also be very dissapointing when it goes tits up, you all are very honest people i find a pleasure to make friends with, i will attend the next Plinston event as i admit i was harsh in my judgement. I dont see Billy Mac that often, last time i saw him was last year, he was telling me he just got the acetate of World of Happines, absolutely fantastic sound. His son Kevin is the landlord of the Sun Runner in Hitchin and that is where Billy likes to drink, they have sometimes northern playing in the background which is a bonus for a pub :rolleyes:

Guest boots

Yeah no worries boots, i never posted with the intention of hurting anyones feelings i just posted how i felt at 2am when i got in. I appreciate it cant be easy to organise events and it must also be very dissapointing when it goes tits up, you all are very honest people i find a pleasure to make friends with, i will attend the next Plinston event as i admit i was harsh in my judgement. I dont see Billy Mac that often, last time i saw him was last year, he was telling me he just got the acetate of World of Happines, absolutely fantastic sound. His son Kevin is the landlord of the Sun Runner in Hitchin and that is where Billy likes to drink, they have sometimes northern playing in the background which is a bonus for a pub :rolleyes:

link

HI VIC

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY,WE DO TRY AND ADRRESS EVERYBODY CONCERNS SO I AM GLAD YOU WILL BE PAYING US ANOTHER VISIT,MY HUSBAND ENJOYED CHATTING WITH YOU AND LOOKS FORWARD TO THE NEXT INSTALMENT :rolleyes:

BOOTS

I made my first trip to plinston last night.I did feel for the dj,s but having read some of the reports from other nights at plinston i realized that numbers were down.I did go up to the modern room and thought there was a good atmospere in there and enjoyed the music being played.Iam sure on a normal friday night with the northern room full it is a really good soul night,i for one look forward some time of returning to plinston.

link

I have to admit when I walked in, saw how empty it was I was v. disappointed, I am quite a regular. :rolleyes: But I thought all things considered it was a good nite. I love the modern room upstairs, what Nathan, Taffy and Gavin played was great, was probably downstairs when anyone else was on! The atmosphere up there is always fantastic! :rolleyes: It was good to see Debbie and her crowd from Eastbourne as well as a lot of others. :thumbsup: It was a shame that there was quite a few others things on last nite as well as the change in day. I know this has been said before, and Im not putting it down, but sometimes there are too many times on one weekend and not another?!

Guest Leigh J

I have to admit when I walked in, saw how empty it was I was v. disappointed, I am quite a regular.  :rolleyes: But I thought all things considered it was a good nite.  I love the modern room upstairs, what Nathan, Taffy and Gavin played was great, was probably downstairs when anyone else was on!  The atmosphere up there is always fantastic!  :rolleyes: It was good to see Debbie and her crowd from Eastbourne as well as a lot of others.  :thumbsup:   It was a shame that there was quite a few others things on last nite as well as the change in day.  I know this has been said before, and Im not putting it down, but sometimes there are too many times on one weekend and not another?!

link

In These Situations You Need Proper DJ's Not Just Geezers Who Play records,Im Not His Biggest fan But ill Bet Chris King Would Have Pulled The Night Back .

In These Situations You Need Proper DJ's Not Just Geezers Who Play records,Im Not His Biggest fan But ill Bet Chris King Would Have Pulled The Night Back .

link

Good call but pointless telling half the dim wits who promote. They sadly wallow in their own stupidity then complain when they endure a bad night.

Good call but pointless telling half the dim wits who promote. They sadly wallow in their own stupidity then complain when they endure a bad night.

link

Thats a bit harsh Kev we cant all be perfect like you, I mean only one person can be responsible for the biggest & best nighter, soul night, knocking shop etc etc

link

you really are full of your self mr roberts :angry:

link

You bet he would! I could even tell you what he would have played:

The likes of James Fountain, Voices of East Harlem, Frank Wilson, Yvonne Baker, Frank Beverley, Billy Butler..................... :rolleyes::thumbsup:laugh.gif:yes::):rolleyes: Oops sorry I nodded off for a minute there! Right were was I? Oh yes CK, Tomangoes, Salvadors, John & Weirdest, Masqueraders ( hang on a minute I seem to have lost the plot here - scrub the last 2 there not in Kevs top 50 ) :)

link

dont be such a sanctimonious obnoxious pratt :rolleyes:

every night no matter how big or small experiences the odd bad night when attendances are down these can be for any reason,

as far as i see the promoters have not complained they just relayed the facts as to why they thought the night was not enjoyed by everyone. remember the comments were raised by one person.

i am sure someone will not have enjoyed the music played by one or some of your dj's at stoke as no doubt some will not have enjoyed all the music played by one or all of the dj's at any night on anywhere in the uk :rolleyes:

if this was meant as a bit of fun then i apologise.

mark

Thats a bit harsh Kev we cant all be perfect like you, I mean only one person can be responsible for the biggest & best nighter, soul night, knocking shop etc etc

link

Steve,

You are right, harsh indeed, and very TRUE.

Some deserve to lose customers and I don't mean Plinston as I have no idea of the make-up surrounding the event. But the amount of silliness and lack of thought by some promoting events beggars the question ...why bother?

They will no doubt give us the old line....'we don't care if we get 50 in and lose money'. In truth they are LYING.

At least others(no matter how small) say exactly what they mean and stick by it.

Examples of this are; NO MORE DOGGIN' (In my opinion a pointless exercise, however I praise them for promoting their idea of Northern Soul.

JOHNNY BEGGS and his Crewe event sets out their stall perfectlly and does 'what it says on the tin', obviously Sheridans have identified who their fan base really is and stick by their guns.

PROMOTERS-Think carefully on who you are trying to attract. If you want RARE and OBSCURE event and do not care if 20 turn up....great .. RESPECT. But don't wear a false hat and aimlessly hire DJ's with no fan base and worse CAN'T FILL DANCE FLOORS. It's simply a bad deal for folks spending hard earnt money travelling to see 3rd rate entertainment and the organiser somehow blaming everybody except themselves!

You bet he would! I could even tell you what he would have played:

The likes of James Fountain, Voices of East Harlem, Frank Wilson, Yvonne Baker, Frank Beverley, Billy Butler..................... :rolleyes:   :thumbsup:   laugh.gif   :yes:   :)   :rolleyes:   Oops sorry I nodded off for a minute there! Right were was I? Oh yes CK, Tomangoes, Salvadors, John & Weirdest, Masqueraders ( hang on a minute I seem to have lost the plot here - scrub the last 2 there not in Kevs top 50 )  :)

link

Chris King fills floors and that's what the majority want.

dont be such a sanctimonious obnoxious pratt :rolleyes:

every night no matter how big or small experiences the odd bad night when attendances are down these can be for any reason,

as far as i see the promoters have not complained they just relayed the facts as to why they thought the night was not enjoyed by everyone. remember the comments were raised by one person.

i am sure someone will not have enjoyed the music played by one or some of your dj's at stoke as no doubt some will not have enjoyed all the music played by one or all of the dj's at any night on anywhere in the uk :rolleyes:

if this was meant as a bit of fun then i apologise.

mark

link

We don't get it at Stoke due to the fact WE KNOW WHAT WERE DOING.

And we try and help venues with on air publicity like the Greatstone! Imagine if the gig had no mentions on Smooth, Solar etc?

Guest Dr Pickles

link

I have to say this comment is well out of order.

I passed up Plinston to go to Stoke and part of me wishes I had not bothered if this is the way Stoke views other nights and venues on the scene. Yes I had a fantastic time but that comment has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

As punter who is out most weekends up and down the country, it is venues like Plinston that keep us fed with soul on a much more regular basis than 4 times a year. As such, it is these venues that keep the scene alive for nights such as Stoke.

Plinston is normally a great night, fantastic floor, fantastic people. As for the music, that is a personal thing. I know what I like and if it makes me dance then I'm happy. Normally I leave Plinston with aching legs.

If you are considering making the trip, make it, you might just have a blinding night :rolleyes:

I have to say this comment is well out of order.

I passed up Plinston to go to Stoke and part of me wishes I had not bothered if this is the way Stoke views other nights and venues on the scene. Yes I had a fantastic time but that comment has left a nasty taste in my mouth.

As punter who is out most weekends up and down the country, it is venues like Plinston that keep us fed with soul on a much more regular basis than 4 times a year. As such, it is these venues that keep the scene alive for nights such as Stoke.

Plinston is normally a great night, fantastic floor, fantastic people. As for the music, that is a personal thing. I know what I like and if it makes me dance then I'm happy. Normally I leave Plinston with aching legs.

If you are considering making the trip, make it, you might just have a blinding night :rolleyes:

link

Doctor that smack really hurt. The comments are in no way directed at Plinston.

I have never been, met or know anythibng about the gig. The comments were a general overview aimed at 'thoughtless promoters'.

The thread could have been created via any topic...somehow now I wish it had. And for the record, hopefully the jolly chaps at Plinston will get back to winning ways next month.

Chris King fills floors and that's what the majority want.

link

Kev any chance of me getting a spot at one of your do's? Ifs thats what it takes to pack a floor I'm sure I could do it - heres my CV

Years on Scene - 31

DJing experience - er none, I've never DJ'ed in my life

Record collection - poor to pathetic really, BUT heres the coup de grace .......

I could do an hours spot with the pressings I bought when I was 15 ( I havent really bought any records since 1976 ) and guess what ? they're all in your top 50 surely this gives me the credentials to be a top DJ? I promise I could keep the floor packed for you :rolleyes:

Very harsh Kev,but have to agree far to many nites just thrown together with no thought to dj quality or other promotions already on.This is not an attack on plinston as i now a lot of people who speak very highly of the venue,but Kev has a point.

link

Ta Andy..Just trying to help a few promoters think things through and don't be blinded by self indulgent passion, unless of course they really could not care less if anyone comes to their event. That's OK too! But at least be clear on who you are trying to attract. Anyone claiming to play 'up front R&B, 60's Rarities etc has a better chance of attracting a real audience than somebody who prints flyers with a view to trying to entice the mainstream, then hires DJ's to play obscure stuff. The traveller who likes the old feel good tunes, quite rightly will be upset.

Kev any chance of me getting a spot at one of your do's? Ifs thats what it takes to pack a floor I'm sure I could do it - heres my CV

Years on Scene  -  31

DJing experience - er none, I've never DJ'ed in my life

Record collection - poor to pathetic really, BUT heres the coup de grace .......

I could do an hours spot with the pressings I bought when I was 15 ( I havent really bought any records since 1976 ) and guess what ? they're all in your top 50 surely this gives me the credentials to be a top DJ? I promise I could keep the floor packed for you :rolleyes:

link

Steve,

I'm sure you could fill the floor, but nobody knows who you are.

Its a bit like me calling Alex Ferguson and telling him I'm a great player!

Wayne Rooney could, I could not.

Guest Richard Bergman

I'm going off to cry now.... :rolleyes:

link

Don't cry mate ,there are more important things in this world to get upset with

being born with an arse for a face is one ..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Bergman

The fact is Stoke only has the big name DJ's. Whether you like their style or not the DJ's there know their stuff.. Come on, lets be honest, it's true. Each DJ there is successful in their own right and they have filled dance floors time and time again all over the country.. Places like Stoke have a lot to offer to the Soul Scene.. Always packed out ... always successful.. Come on, we are being honest, if you go or not.. we all know that's the score..

So places like Plinston and all those other little clubs around the country, with their "dim wit promoters" - what have they really got to offer, apart from keeping the Soul Scene alive up and down the country? Giving Soulies with commitments a chance to go out every weekend, not just 4 times a year, the chance for Soulies who have to work of a weekend a chance to go out, as an allnighter is out of the question. Giving unknown dj's the chance to get their foot in the door so, in a few years time, when they are known they can go on and play at the likes of Stoke...

Just thought.......Imagine if no one gave any new DJ's a chance. What would happen in the future, when some of the big names retire, and there is nowhere to go, because all the "Dim Wit promoters" have called it a day, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Would it be a case of "well the scene's dead because we never gave any unknowns a chance, so now we can't go out".

Maybe promoters should think about this. There is always the question of the scene dying in years to come because we don't get youngsters in. Maybe young people don't want to go somewhere where the DJ is older than their dad!!!

Sure, we are into Northern for the love of the music. Me personaly, if I talk to someone who has run a do and they say it was really bad, I show support as I want people to go out and listen to the music that I love, I want them to understand it like I try to.

You don't have to be the biggest and best at everything, as long as you enjoy it and your doing it for the right reasons..

Kev ive known you since Wigan,in MY opinion you wernt a bad dj but not a scratch on the likes of Gary Rushbrooke and others,you had crap nights as well as other people.i dont know what your problems are with other soul nights,unless you want the monopoly on that moves in the world of soul.why dont you come down as my guest (ill pay)to Plinston and see what a good venue it is and the crowds in there who like it ..im sorry if ive offended you this way but if you dont like it ,see you in court. regards Toby Letchworth soul fan since 1968...

Ta Andy..Just trying to help a few promoters think things through and don't be blinded by self indulgent passion, unless of course they really could not care less if anyone comes to their event. That's OK too! But at least be clear on who you are trying to attract. Anyone claiming to play 'up front R&B, 60's Rarities etc has a better chance of attracting a real audience than somebody who prints flyers with a view to trying to entice the mainstream, then hires DJ's to play obscure stuff. The traveller who likes the old feel good tunes, quite rightly will be upset.

link

In my experience it's usually the other way round. Without mentioning specific events, I usually go somewhere because I think I'm gonna hear something a bit different-so certain djs mentioned may make me travel! Then I get there and they're playing stuff I only want to hear again in Hell :rolleyes: -you know the usual bollox-if it isn't The Contours it's something "rare" (mmm) like Bill Bush - then I'm disappointed. Loads of the big names disappointed me at Prestatyn-what's the point getting these guys to play when they're only gonna play overplayed oldies you could hear at a scooter rally or something!

I don't understand you Kev-surely you get sick of hearing these tunes yourself by now? Well you must do-but you make a lot of cash out of the fancy dress and nostalgia scene don't ya :rolleyes:

The fact is Stoke only has the big name DJ's. Whether you like their style or not the DJ's there know their stuff.. Come on, lets be honest, it's true.  Each DJ there is successful in their own right and they have filled dance floors time and time again all over the country.. Places like Stoke have a lot to offer to the Soul Scene.. Always packed out ... always successful.. Come on, we are being honest, if you go or not.. we all know that's the score..

So places like Plinston and all those other little clubs around the country, with their "dim wit promoters"  - what have they really got to offer, apart from keeping the Soul Scene alive up and down the country? Giving Soulies with commitments a chance to go out every weekend, not just 4 times a year, the chance for Soulies who have to work of a weekend a chance to go out, as an allnighter is out of the question.  Giving unknown dj's the chance to get their foot in the door so, in a few years time, when they are known they can go on and play at the likes of Stoke...

Just thought.......Imagine if no one gave any new DJ's a chance. What would happen in the future, when some of the big names retire, and there is nowhere to go, because all the "Dim Wit promoters" have called it a day, because they didn't know what they were doing.

Would it be a case of "well the scene's dead because we never gave any unknowns a chance, so now we can't go out".

Maybe promoters should think about this.  There is always the question of the scene dying in years to come because we don't get youngsters in.  Maybe young people don't want to go somewhere where the DJ is older than their dad!!!

Sure, we are into Northern for the love of the music.  Me personaly, if I talk to someone who has run a do and they say it was really bad, I show support as I want people to go out and listen to the music that I love, I want them to understand it like I try to.

You don't have to be the biggest and best at everything, as long as you enjoy it and your doing it for the right reasons..

link

:rolleyes::rolleyes: couldnt have said it better mate

We don't get it at Stoke due to the fact WE KNOW WHAT WERE DOING.

And we try and help venues with on air publicity like the Greatstone! Imagine if the gig had no mentions on Smooth, Solar etc?

link

kev

i am very thankful for any mentions i get on radio or otherwise and i was very glad you altered gingers time slot so he could appear at the greatstone what i said was that the promoters at this event (plinston) were not blaming all and sundry for their failure on this occasion they just stated their facts they had to move to a sat night when a lot of other functions were on and that it was their first poor attendance. and not just to write it of on the one visit.

there is a palce for everyone, i know you do not like the smaller functions but when you are promoting one you become a niche market and that is what we at the greatstone and the lifeline and quite a few others are we cater for the people who want to hear something not run of the mill.

i have not been to stoke as i do not do all nighters but i presume it is like all your other promotions and extremely well run, and we think our little night is well run.

i am one of the strange breed of people who prefer the atmosphere of the smaller more intimate night :rolleyes:

anyway i did not know we get a mention on solar will you tape the show for me so i can listen :rolleyes:

as you speak to richard a lot ask him we have thanked him on many occasions for the help he gives with his mentions on the radio.

so if you do mention us on your show then i thank you sincerely.

mark

Guest hammy

i am one of the strange breed of people who prefer the atmosphere of the smaller more intimate night :rolleyes:

link

I must be in the same breed mate - if there's more than, say, 200 people in a venue then I want to go home! :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Hammy

I must be in the same breed mate - if there's more than, say, 200 people in a venue then I want to go home!  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

Hammy

link

if we had 200 people in the greatstone then we would be in trouble think 100 max as it is very small and intimate read sms reveiw in manifesto and you will see what i mean,

mark

Guest hammy

if we had 200 people in the greatstone then we would be in trouble think 100 max as it is very small and intimate read sms reveiw in manifesto and you will see what i mean,

mark

link

Same with our Scotland vs England alldayer mate - 120 in and packed to the rafters and , in the words of Kenny Burrell, " the best event in Scotland in years." Just goes to show that it's not all about numbers.

Which reminds me... I should really organise another one. :rolleyes:

Hammy

link

Funny that Mischief, I agree with you, and I would think many others too!! But wots funnier is that it would have been something like Randy Cozens might have said, and who could argue with that?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guest Richard Bergman

Funny that Mischief, I agree with you, and I would think many others too!!  But wots funnier is that it would have been something like Randy Cozens might have said, and who could argue with that?!  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

link

"doing it for the right reasons.." very true , a point which seems to go missing when the money and the punters start rolling through the doors of some venues

Guest rachel

Same with our Scotland vs England alldayer mate - 120 in and packed to the rafters and , in the words of Kenny Burrell, " the best event in Scotland in years." Just goes to show that it's not all about numbers. 

Which reminds me... I should really organise another one.  :rolleyes:

Hammy

link

Yes you should :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Guest j a c k o

"doing it for the right reasons.." very true , a point which seems to go missing when the money and the punters start rolling through the doors of some  venues

link

Agreed. But lets not forget that for some people it's also their business /livelihood and not just done for the love of it all.

Andy

Part of me regrets making this thread, i already stated i posted out of being too hasty at 2am in dissapointment. Reading the thread i somewhat feel bad for the good people of Plinston, i never would have thought it would get hijacked by levine wannabe's and the latter, but one good thing for sure will come out of this, the next Plinston i can see being packed to the rafters because what i can read into this thread is a very passionate following. So what was initialy a grunt and groan post has realy turned out to be a massive promo for the next event, if Plinston was not on the map it sure is now :rolleyes:

Guest taffy

YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER THE SIZE OF THE PLINSTON, I THINK THERE WAS AROUND 150 PEOPLE IN LAST NIGHT WHICH IS ABOUT 50% DOWN ON NORMAL BUT HOW MANY EVENING DO'S EVEN ATTRACT THAT MANY? I DON'T BELEIVE THAT CHANGING THE NIGHT TO A SATURDAY OR THAT STOKE AND SKEGGY WHERE ON PLAYED THAT MUCH OF A FACTOR TO THE ATTENDANCE I THINK IT WAS DUE TO THE FACT THE NIGHT WAS TRAPPED BETWEEN PRESTATYN AND EASTER.LOTS OF THINGS ON IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS AND WE AIN'T GOT BOTTOMLESS POCKETS.HEARD UNOFFICIALLY THAT STOKES NUMBERS WERE SLIGHTLY DOWN AS WELL KEV.THE PLINSTON IS A GREAT VENUE AND WILL BOUNCE BACK NEXT TIME FOR SURE. ONE BAD NIGHT AND A NEGATIVE POSTING AIN'T GOING TO KILL THIS VENUE OFF.THERES TO MANY SOUL PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH TO LET THAT HAPPEN.