Barbara Mercer - Give Me Another Chance

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think this was previously unreleased until it was included on a CD a few years ago, Joe Boy label JBA-006 'The Northern Soul Years vol 2 - Heartbroken Memories'

regards

Paul

That's correct. Adey Pierce from Gloucester had this and a couple of other Sidra / Drew recordings on a 10" studio acetate which he made available for the above CD. From memory, without checking the liner notes on the CD, the other track from the acetate was called 'A Dream' and is probably the better of the two tracks. Although credited to Barbara Mercer, I believe the studio acetate had no credits, so it might not be her anyway.

Just dug the CD out, the above info is correct, and would you believe it was seven years ago that I wrote those liner notes !!

The 10" Fabulous release was later than the CD, 2002, but was another of Glenn Gunton's (Who was in effect Joe Boy Records) compilations.

I'm fairly sure that the guy who now owns the legal rights to all the Sidra / Drew stuff lives in the South West UK (Possibly Gloucester / Cheltenham)

Social source share

That's correct. Adey Pierce from Gloucester had this and a couple of other Sidra / Drew recordings on a 10" studio acetate which he made available for the above CD. From memory, without checking the liner notes on the CD, the other track from the acetate was called 'A Dream' and is probably the better of the two tracks. Although credited to Barbara Mercer, I believe the studio acetate had no credits, so it might not be her anyway.

Just dug the CD out, the above info is correct, and would you believe it was seven years ago that I wrote those liner notes !!

The 10" Fabulous release was later than the CD, 2002, but was another of Glenn Gunton's (Who was in effect Joe Boy Records) compilations.

I'm fairly sure that the guy who now owns the legal rights to all the Sidra / Drew stuff lives in the South West UK (Possibly Gloucester / Cheltenham)

Hi Dave The track " Dream " Is not Barbara Mercer , Fred Bridges confirmed this on Sixties Detroit and states its not her , Also when i was with Fred the other week In bham I again asked him if he can remember who this women was and yet again he said its not Barbara , I'm trying to find out who Recorded this.

https://www.sixtiesdetroit.com/60s-detroit/z-flb6.htm

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Glenn Gunton and myself are in the process of reviving Joe Boy and Inferno.

First releases will be a Precisions CD album of all their Drew releases plus some unreleased tracks, and a 4 track Precisions vinyl EP, as follow up to the one we released 2 years ago.

As part of licensing deal with Sidra/Drew,we are going to release a seven inch of "Give Me Another Chance" bw "A Dream".George McGregor was a a&r director at Sidra/Drew and he is pretty certain that the vocalist is Pearl Jones, who was a secretary at Sidra/Drew and also recorded for The Embracables. He knows it is not Barabara Mercer as he is married to her!

He says if it is not Pearl it is Micki Farrow, who used to hang about at Sidra with Mike Terry.

Hopefully everything wll be confirmed in time for "Give Me Another Chance" to be a givaway limited edition 45 at the SOULVATION 3rd anniversary at Lea Hall Club, Rugeley on March 8. I used to hammer the track at the Trentham Gardens all-nighters and it deserves to be out as a single.

Another one of our Trentham big tracks - The Precisions "I Do, Don't You" will be on their CD and EP.

Social source share

Another one of our Trentham big tracks - The Precisions "I Do, Don't You" will be on their CD and EP.

Is it definite that this is the Precisions...just that the original 10" Sidra acetate passed through Chez Hippo on its way to Adey, and it was a case of guessing what was by who!

And yes, I must admit to CDR'ing it - on condition that I never played them while out!

Social source share

Is it definite that this is the Precisions...just that the original 10" Sidra acetate passed through Chez Hippo on its way to Adey, and it was a case of guessing what was by who!

And yes, I must admit to CDR'ing it - on condition that I never played them while out!

I bought it from adey a long while back. Has some good tracks on it, but sadly did need cleaning up.

"dream" a version of the creations track - "Such Misery" supposed to be Timmy Willis, "Give me another chance" Nobody seems dead sure + "send me a sign" Precisions?

Give em spin from time to time...Funky kid Whitmore likes the dream track.

:P

Social source share

Yes we have been in touch with George McGregor about this. He has the multi track on "I Do,Don't You"and it was written and produced by him. Mike Terry is the arranger and George confirms it is The Precisions..

Turns out that the version of "Such Misery" that came of the Sidra acetate and credited to Timmy Willis is actually the first recording by The Precisions too, but never released at the time as it was laid down by Paul Merritt just before he quit the group and was replaced by Dennis Gilmore.

The recording "Send Me A Sign" which was thought to be by The Pecisions is in fact by Roger Fluker aka Brian Stone who was the choreograopher for The Precisions. I spoke to Geoge last night and he says the dance routines on stage by The Precisions were by amazing and left even The Temptations in the shade. He believes if The Precisions had been on Motown (the Funk Briothers played on all the Drew sessions by the way) they would have been superstars.

George also shed some light on why "Sugar Ain't Sweet" only came out on promo and was replaced as the flip to "What I Want" by "Why Girl". The copy I got off "Sugar Ain't Sweet" is pressed off centre and I believe all the other copies are too but that could easily have been remedied as Sidra owned their own pressing plant. However, the delay caused by the off centre copies meant that George, who ha just been installed as A&R director at Sidra, was able to switch it it for "Why Girl" which he had co-written based around the sound he envisaged for The Precisions, wtih Billy Prince on lead vocals and the rest of the group doing harmonies. I guess ther than have the wrong record lying around, the label would have junked "Sugar Ain't Sweet" - shades of Motown and "Do I Love You"?

Social source share

do you have any info about who played on the session for "sidra's theme" ? what a great track that is, would like to know more about its production...

We are collectting that kind of info at the moment for a Sidra and assoicated labels compilation, but session would have been put together by Dale Warren who had a lot to do with Sidra at stage and actually signed The Precisions to Drew.Have found out that one of the owners of Sidra was father of Ronnie & Robyn!

And interestingly, Timmy Wiillis "Mr Soul Satisfaction" was recorded by George McGregor at Muscle Shoals, that's where he got the sound of those Otis Redding style horns.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

We are collectting that kind of info at the moment for a Sidra and assoicated labels compilation, but session would have been put together by Dale Warren who had a lot to do with Sidra at stage and actually signed The Precisions to Drew.Have found out that one of the owners of Sidra was father of Ronnie & Robyn!

And interestingly, Timmy Wiillis "Mr Soul Satisfaction" was recorded by George McGregor at Muscle Shoals, that's where he got the sound of those Otis Redding style horns.

Okay - Mr Moderator.. I think this could with being linked to the same (but different) thread I just posted on.. Confused ?? You will be !!

I think all my questions I asked there, have been answered on this 'thread' of the 'thread'.

In particular, that SS username Hootenannie does, indeed own and possess said acetate (purchased ex Ady if i've got that correct !?!) Also satisfies query concerning having heard it played out. Seems incredibly likely to be the case.

So.. just a further ?? are all the tracks on this 10" acetate now, or going to be, available via Neil's current venture ??

CHIZ !! Fingers..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!