Snipe - Friend Or Foe

I can see the advantages of sniping when you are buying but it seems to be a disadvantage to the seller.

can someone explain if two people snipe a bid on the same item only the first one will be accepted cos of the time scale and then at the min bid price.

I have had items for sale with up 9 people watching them and i.e. 1 min before end no bids then close on min bid, which means there is no bid, the person with the most efficient snipe wins at the minimum bid price ?????????????

Or am I missing the point??????

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I can see the advantages of sniping when you are buying but it seems to be a disadvantage to the seller.

can someone explain if two people snipe a bid on the same item only the first one will be accepted cos of the time scale and then at the min bid price. 

I have had items for sale with up 9 people watching them and i.e. 1 min before end no bids then close on min bid, which means there is no bid, the person with the most efficient snipe wins at the minimum bid price ?????????????

Or am I missing the point??????

link

Both bids are accepted, the highest bidder wins.....

WOOF!

Social source share

As Joe states - all snipe bids entered will be accepted.

The only way the seller loses out are if all bidders enter low snipe bids thinking that no-one else will bother, and then they have no chance of increasing their bid.

I always snipe the highest amount I am willing to pay, then if I get it cheaper it's a bonus. :rolleyes:

Sniping gives the buyer the advantage of not revealing their interest in the item until the final dying seconds. :rolleyes:

Some bidders may have a high success rate of finding hidden gems.

If they bid early on in the auction, then it is possible for other bidders to find out what they are bidding on, and thus find items that otherwise, may have attracted very few if any other bidders at all.

There are bidders on ebay who will follow these bidders activities, and then bid against them.

Sniping prevents this, as the bid is only placed in the dying seconds, which therefore does not show in the bidders bidding activity until it is too late.

In this instance, the only way that the seller loses out is if they have listed the item in the wrong category, made spelling errors, or not used key words to attract bidders.

That's the beauty of ebay....... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Snipes do not get accepted if the price you are willing to pay is outbid befotre your snipe kicks in. I use snipes because there are some buyers who don't bother trawling through ebay looking for stuff they just type in a buyers name look to see what they are bidding on but you can't do that if people snipe.

Social source share

I can never understand those that bid with 6 days to go and then a biddimg war is started and therefore inflated prices :angry:

Maybe everyone should have to use a snipe tool, enter one bid only and the highest snipe bid wins, maybe bring a bit of reality back to the market :rolleyes:

Social source share

As Joe states - all snipe bids entered will be accepted.

The only way the seller loses out are if all bidders enter low snipe bids thinking that no-one else will bother, and then they have no chance of increasing their bid.

I always snipe the highest amount I am willing to pay, then if I get it cheaper it's a bonus. :yes:

Sniping gives the buyer the advantage of not revealing their interest in the item until the final dying seconds. :yes:

Some bidders may have a high success rate of finding hidden gems.

If they bid early on in the auction, then it is possible for other bidders to find out what they are bidding on, and thus find items that otherwise, may have attracted very few if any other bidders at all.

There are bidders on ebay who will follow these bidders activities, and then bid against them.

Sniping prevents this, as the bid is only placed in the dying seconds, which therefore does not show in the bidders bidding activity until it is too late.

In this instance, the only way that the seller loses out is if they have listed the item in the wrong category, made spelling errors, or not used key words to attract bidders.

That's the beauty of ebay....... yes.gif

link

Thanks for your explanation now I understand how it works. I didn't realise that it looked at all the snipe bids. Will bare all you comments in mind. I wasn't actually voiving an opinion I just needed to know how it all works.

Thanks again!

Social source share

Can somebody explain this to me as ive just put up my first item on e-bay and it started a bidding war almost instantly and the current bid is around £300 but slowed right down over last 24 hours with 7 days to go and 40 people watching.

What is a snipe bid?

What should i expect?

Edited by Gary1
Social source share

a snipe bid is one that is bid automatically via a program in the last dying seconds of an auction ie 5- 10 seconds before auction finishes to avoid the bidder getting outbid or having the price pushed up

it usually costs the bidder about 1 % of total amount commission to use this program

you can have no bids and then get 4 or five in the last minute so you think you are getting a crap price for your item during the week but in the last few seconds the price can rocket

Social source share

I can never understand those that bid with 6 days to go and then a biddimg war is started and therefore inflated prices  :angry:

Maybe everyone should have to use a snipe tool, enter one bid only and the highest snipe bid wins, maybe bring a bit of reality back to the market  :yes:

link

Dead right mate....would be nice for all auctions as well as ebay... :yes:

Social source share

Can somebody explain this to me as ive just put up my first item on e-bay and it started a bidding war almost instantly and the current bid is around £300 but slowed right down over last 24 hours with 7 days to go and 40 people watching.

What is a snipe bid?

What should i expect?

link

What is it you are selling out of interest Gary?

Link?

Think you've got the jest of a snipe bid by now, so won't repeat it all.

What to expect...judging by early bids I'd say a healthy profit!!!! :yes::yes:

Social source share

Link?

What to expect...judging by early bids I'd say a healthy profit!!!! yes.gif   :yes:

link

Mace you know what im selling, im not being drawn out on it :yes:

Social source share

Link?

What to expect...judging by early bids I'd say a healthy profit!!!! yes.gif   :yes:

link

Mostly Vinyl as re building my collection after getting rid of it 24 years ago, so not only buying individual singles but buy job lots and sell off what I don't want and stuff pick up in charity shops etc, to help re-fund my collection. Working ok so far but not making money just helping to funding the re-build, I leave it all in may pay pal then I use that to buy - Working ok at the moment but I really am only dealing at the V bottom of the market but keeps me happy. SAD :yes:

I quite enjoy watching the bidding and thinking "can I afford that extra quid" - i find the bidding bit is part of the fun, but when you feel you have put in a sensible price for something and somone snipes you at the last minute it doesn't give you the opportunity to come back with that five bob you've just found down the bottom of the sofa.

Social source share

Mostly Vinyl as re building my collection after getting rid of it 24 years ago, so not only buying individual singles but buy job lots and sell off what I don't want  and stuff  pick up in charity shops etc, to help re-fund my collection.  Working ok so far but not making money just helping to funding the re-build, I leave it all in may pay pal then I use that to buy - Working ok at the moment but I really am only dealing at the V bottom of the market but keeps me happy.  SAD :yes:

I quite enjoy watching the bidding and thinking "can I afford that extra quid" - i find the bidding bit is part of the fun, but when you feel you have put in a sensible price for something and somone snipes you at the last minute it doesn't give you the opportunity to come back with that five bob you've just found down the bottom of the sofa.

link

Hi Chrissieo, my question was aimed at Gary1, and with you repling to it I presume you thought it was for you, so hope you didn't think I was being nosey mate.

Golden rule for ebay is bid as late as poss and as high as you think is fair.

Early bidding will always result in you finding another few quid and then you may end up paying more than it is worth.

Always take into account postage costs and grading...so many bidders pay top dollar mint prices for VG items.

Loads of people don't read description properly, and I know people who have paid top money for a record without reading it is only the pic sleeve on sale!

Another top tip, when you find something, always do a full search for the same item across all categories including descriptions as well as titles....seen records go for silly money with another copy only 1 hour behind it sell for next to nothing.

Repeat your search about 10 minutes before auction end to see if any others have come onto the market.

You will get some bargains that way, but always expect to lose, that way you'll always be grinning when you win one!

Mace's top ebay tips...available soon in a new bestselling paperback... yes.gif:yes:

Social source share

:yes:   blush.gif   :)   :P

:yes:   :yes:

link

I see you've become quite the expert then Mace :P Here's a controversial one for your book then. I claim to be the inventer of Snipe bidding - Whilst writing and testing the original Soulbid auction I developed the technique finding that you can bid if you're fast enough 1 millisecond before the end of the auction. I employed the technique on Ebay and found that it worked on there too. As I've been on Ebay since it started I claim to be the first Snipe bidder (Tangiers springs to mind :P

Trust you are well mate haven't seen your happy smiling face for some time - then again I don't get out much :P

Dazz

PS I always snipe manually and have never used yer new fangled snipe programs :)

Social source share

Hi Chrissieo, my question was aimed at Gary1, and with you repling to it I presume you thought it was for you, so hope you didn't think I was being nosey mate.

Golden rule for ebay is bid as late as poss and as high as you think is fair.

Early bidding will always result in you finding another few quid and then you may end up paying more than it is worth.

Always take into account postage costs and grading...so many bidders pay top dollar mint prices for VG items.

Loads of people don't read description properly, and I know people who have paid top money for a record without reading it is only the pic sleeve on sale!

Another top tip, when you find something, always do a full search for the same item across all categories including descriptions as well as titles....seen records go for silly money with another copy only 1 hour behind it sell for next to nothing.

Repeat your search about 10 minutes before auction end to see if any others have come onto the market.

You will get some bargains that way, but always expect to lose, that way you'll always be grinning when you win one!

Mace's top ebay tips...available soon in a new bestselling paperback... :yes:   :yes:

link

Realised that after had posted reply - wooly head this eve. Thanks v much for tips, got to go as got 3 mins to go on a job lot v blind as the guy hasn't listed the titles just the TMG numbers but its "Only a laugh" type bid something I may make a £5 out of in the future but that will buy me a re-issue of something I may want later.

PS

Usually do research on what else is about, prices elsewhere etc. Happy bidding!!

Social source share

Realised that after had posted reply - wooly head this eve.  Thanks v much for tips, got to go as got 3 mins to go on a job lot v blind as the guy hasn't listed the titles just the TMG numbers but its "Only a laugh" type bid something I may make a £5 out of in the future but that will buy me a re-issue of something I may want later.

PS

Usually do research on what else is about, prices elsewhere etc.  Happy bidding!!

link

PPS got it at £3.45 don't know what in it listed as

10 x TAMLA MOTOWN 7" VINYL SINGLES ----TMG1161---TMG 1073----TMG 1202---TMG1193---TMG 1069----TMG 1009----TMG 668---TMG 842----TMG 1226---TMG 1198-----ALL VG or BETTER

will do to spin at family type mixed event or sell at a squid later.

Social source share

Foe :angry: B*STARDS :yes::yes:

link

I used to think the same...

In the end realised so many people were watching what I was bidding on that I was winning virtually nothing.

So I decided to join the sniping ranks.

Wins are up to approx 50% and I don't get into silly bidding wars.

What winds me up is the 'dog in the manger' bidders, who bid against people because they don't want them to get the item 'too cheap', but have no intention of actually winning the item.

WOOF!

Social source share

I used to think the same...

In the end realised so many people were watching what I was bidding on that I was winning virtually nothing.

So I decided to join the sniping ranks.

Wins are up to approx 50% and I don't get into silly bidding wars.

What winds me up is the 'dog in the manger' bidders, who bid against people because they don't want them to get the item 'too cheap', but have no intention of actually winning the item.

WOOF!

link

I agree with your last paragraph - perhaps will get into this sniping thingy, but still do enjoy the odd silly one that like the one I mentioned eralier.

Social source share

Mace's top ebay tips...available soon in a new bestselling paperback... :yes:   :)

Hi Mace

I was going to ask you to 'proof read' my new book!!!!...lol...it's almost finished! :yes:

cheers

Paul thumbsup.gif

link

Hi Paul.

Wasn't aware you could write mate... :P

I'll proof read it for ya...small charge of next spare copy of Empires or the like.. :yes:

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

I see you've become quite the expert then Mace :yes:   Here's a controversial one for your book then.  I claim to be the inventer of Snipe bidding  -  Whilst writing and testing the original Soulbid auction  I developed the technique finding that you can bid if you're fast enough  1 millisecond before the end of the auction. I employed the technique on Ebay and found that it worked on there too. As I've been on Ebay since it started I claim to be the first Snipe bidder  (Tangiers springs to mind :)

Trust you are well mate haven't seen your happy smiling face for some time - then again I don't get out much  :P

Dazz

PS I always snipe manually and have never used yer new fangled snipe programs :P

link

Good to hear off you Dazz.

Didn't know you had enough time to come on here between buying half of ebay each month.... :yes:thumbsup.gif:)

Hope you are well mate, look forward to bumping into you somewhere soon... :yes:

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I see you've become quite the expert then Mace :yes:   Here's a controversial one for your book then.  I claim to be the inventer of Snipe bidding  -  Whilst writing and testing the original Soulbid auction  I developed the technique finding that you can bid if you're fast enough  1 millisecond before the end of the auction. I employed the technique on Ebay and found that it worked on there too. As I've been on Ebay since it started I claim to be the first Snipe bidder  (Tangiers springs to mind :yes:

Trust you are well mate haven't seen your happy smiling face for some time - then again I don't get out much  thumbsup.gif

Dazz

PS I always snipe manually and have never used yer new fangled snipe programs :yes:

link

Yeh I have to admit..I'm a manual sniper too

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Yeh I have to admit..I'm a manual sniper too

link

I've always been a manual sniper too.

Although I had to 'have a word' with myself for setting the alarm at 3 in the morning to turn the machine on to bid.

Did it about 3 or 4 times and thought 'hang on, you're sad' :thumbsup:

Haven't got the money at the minute for anything decent, so not relevant.

Got to sort a sniping gizmo out when my finances are in a better condition :thumbsup:

Jamie

Social source share

Guest rachel

Although I had to 'have a word' with myself for setting the alarm at 3 in the morning to turn the machine on to bid.

Did it about 3 or 4 times and thought 'hang on, you're sad'  :thumbsup:

link

I've done that too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did it about 3 or 4 times and thought 'hang on, you're sad'  :thumbsup:

Got to sort a sniping gizmo out when my finances are in a better condition  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

Have never been quite that bad but have refused to go out until bidding is closed or come home early from the pub - got to go 2 mins to go on record i want.

Social source share

Have never been quite that bad but have refused to go out until bidding is closed or come home early from the pub - got to go 2 mins to go on record i want.

link

My damn boss came to talk to me, and was out bid by 50p. think need to get to grips with the electronic thingy but wouldn't be as much fun

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

What does it matter if you put your bid in up front compared to snipe, sure you may have got it cheaper, but surely your bid price is what you wanted to pay in the first place otherwise you wouldn't have bid. It doesn't hold that I have bid a £100 but only wanted to pay £25, yes if you get it for £25 fine but if you had to pay the £100 well that's fine as well.

At the end of the day you bid what you want to pay, if it's a big record bang goes my bid as soon as I see it, it's going to be around that price any way so why risk waiting to the end, when your screen could crash/freeze or the automated process fails, all which have happened to me at some point in the past.

No point in saying I lost that record by 50 cents either because you haven't a clue what the winner was willing to pay for it.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Did it about 3 or 4 times and thought 'hang on, you're sad'  whistling.gif

Got to sort a sniping gizmo out when my finances are in a better condition  :ohmy:

Jamie

link

If I want something badly enough...I'll do what ever it takes

Social source share

I can never understand those that bid with 6 days to go and then a biddimg war is started and therefore inflated prices  :angry:

Maybe everyone should have to use a snipe tool, enter one bid only and the highest snipe bid wins, maybe bring a bit of reality back to the market  :thumbsup:

link

I often do this Chalky but mainly cos I put in the bid I want to put in as soon as I see the item and then leave it at that. Mad if you keep re-bidding I agree but otherwise saves a lot of mental energy worrying about what ends when and when you need to bid by!

Social source share

Snipes are good. Just don't get the arguement 'Unfair for the seller'. Honestly give me a break, its just as unfair to auction in the first place, auction is greedy if you ask me. Just say what you want and be done with it. In a snipe environment it gives a closed bid effect rather than a GREEDY dutch auction playing on the passion of genuine collectors and soulies.  Go figure!!  :thumbsup:

link

Dunno about this Andy. Surely auctioning is the fairest way for all concerned - especially if you're not sure about how much a record is worth. No-one holds a gun to anyone's head.

I'm back from the snow now, btw - gizza bell or email me re a meet-up when you get a sec?

cheers

Dan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!