Archie Bell, Been Told It's Getting Sought After?

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just mentioning Archie Bell, I bought a load of 45's and theres one by him on a UK label called Becket - never even heard of the label let alone the track.

Is it "Anytime Is Right" Becket 4 ?

Only had this on promo with no flipside.. so if you got a flip that would be interesting; if not I sold the promo for £10

It comes off the seldom seen 1981 Becket LP "I Never Had It So Good"

Neither are common.

Social source share

Hi y'awll, I have been told that 'Archie Bell and the Drells - My balloon's going up' is getting quite sought after, is there any truth in this at all or is it a myth? Does anyone have a value? I have it on U.S Atlantic.

Working from memory isn't the other side the fabulous - Love will rain on you

Social source share

Only had this on promo with no flipside.. so if you got a flip that would be interesting; if not I sold the promo for £10

Neither are common.

This looks like it came out in France on Roulette & Vogue with the b side listed as "Without You". The Becket 12 has "Why Didja Do Me".

Phil.

Edited by philb
Social source share

Neither are common.

The flip is "Harder and Harder" which is pretty fine example of what some people call "modern soul". Been in my play box for years. Could'nt place a value on it.

"Love will rain on you" in a different league to "My balloons going up" love it.

Regards Alan

Social source share

It must be, we are currently out of stock. 21 copies have sneaked outa here @ £15 each.

THIS TUNE WAS GETTIN A LOT OF SPINAGE IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS AFTER SOMEBODY PUT IT ON A CD, MUST ADMIT I NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE THEN, HI JOHN HAPPY NEW YER TO YA, HOW MUCH FOR ARCHIES IN LOVE ON ATLANTIC, THIS NEVER SEEMS TO TURN UP.

BEST, BRI PINCH.

Social source share

It must be, we are currently out of stock. 21 copies have sneaked outa here @ £15 each.

THIS TUNE WAS GETTIN A LOT OF SPINAGE IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS AFTER SOMEBODY PUT IT ON A CD, MUST ADMIT I NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE THEN, HI JOHN HAPPY NEW YER TO YA, HOW MUCH FOR ARCHIES IN LOVE ON ATLANTIC, THIS NEVER SEEMS TO TURN UP.

BEST, BRI PINCH.

"my balloon's going up" is one of the few Archie Bell records besides "tighten up" that got a lot of play and that people remember in the US, people call and request it on my radio show. It would be funny if it became valuable. A caller once told me that the LP version is different but I never actually played them back to back to compare.

Social source share

"my balloon's going up" is one of the few Archie Bell records besides "tighten up" that got a lot of play and that people remember in the US, people call and request it on my radio show. It would be funny if it became valuable. A caller once told me that the LP version is different but I never actually played them back to back to compare.

Remember in an old B&S interview, Kenny Gamble saying it was his favorite tune!

steve

Social source share

Hi y'awll, I have been told that 'Archie Bell and the Drells - My balloon's going up' is getting quite sought after, is there any truth in this at all or is it a myth? Does anyone have a value? I have it on U.S Atlantic.

one on ebay at moment $1.79 ITEM NO 180200272769

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Your caller is right - there are extra group vocals on the 45.

I've got a spare demo in NM condition (couple of x's on the label in biro - see scan below) if anyone wants to make me an offer that won't embarrass either of us! :D

"Archie's In love" was, BTW, a stock item on Craig Moerer about two years ago. A bunch of us picked it up from Craig, around the same time, for $20.00. Don't think he has any left now, though...

Social source share

Check out "Girl You're Too Young" and "You're Such A Beautiful Child", both cracking Archie Bell dancers!

"Girl Your Too Young" was a big play around 1973 at Burscough Football Club on a Tuesday night. A great bunch of DJs called "The Soul Spinners 4" Charlie, Pete, Tommy & Geoff. Got me into the real Northern stuff at the time. Such memories.

Another good track was "I Love My baby" similar in feel to Showdown.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!