Record Packaging

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

Is it just me lately or does anyone else get sent records in totally crap packaging that aint fit to wipe your bottom on :lol: i have had a few in the last few weeks sent in just a couple of bits of thin cardboard taped around the edge and one record was actually broken in 2, on a cheapish (£25) record when buying does anyone bother with insurance when you are paying for the postage AND packaging that you would expect to be at least sufficent for a record, its really starting to pee me off that sellers charge for this but dont give the recored at least a chance to get to you in one piece ranting_1.gif

happy nw year to you all :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

If people pay me 2 quid for post they are entitled to a brand new mailer, 3 pieces of cardboard and insurance up to £32.

No excuses not to do that really. What I really hateare UK sellers who charge an extra 50p per\record when in fact you can send 3 records for same price!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

If people pay me 2 quid for post they are entitled to a brand new mailer, 3 pieces of cardboard and insurance up to £32.

No excuses not to do that really. What I really hateare UK sellers who charge an extra 50p per\record when in fact you can send 3 records for same price!

too bloody right too Pete, how much are mailers and 2 bits of proper mailer card slips 30p huh.gif to post 1st class 78p upwards, handling covers the rest, no problem there but to send records in shite packaging is an insult to the buyer imho :lol:

Social source share

Is it just me lately or does anyone else get sent records in totally crap packaging that aint fit to wipe your bottom on :lol: i have had a few in the last few weeks sent in just a couple of bits of thin cardboard taped around the edge and one record was actually broken in 2, on a cheapish (£25) record when buying does anyone bother with insurance when you are paying for the postage AND packaging that you would expect to be at least sufficent for a record, its really starting to pee me off that sellers charge for this but dont give the recored at least a chance to get to you in one piece ranting_1.gif

happy nw year to you all :yes:

Just you :lol: the last 4 or 5 I have received have been like the bloody krypton factor to get in to. The record box that finally arrived from Tasmania after 3 months at sea took me about half an hour to get into.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

it's covered up, it's the one you came running up and asked about Bearsy, said it was great and walked off in a huff when I wouldn't tell you who it was :lol:

:lol: oh that one whistling.gif

Social source share

Is it just me lately or does anyone else get sent records in totally crap packaging that aint fit to wipe your bottom on angry.gif i have had a few in the last few weeks sent in just a couple of bits of thin cardboard taped around the edge and one record was actually broken in 2, on a cheapish (£25) record when buying does anyone bother with insurance when you are paying for the postage AND packaging that you would expect to be at least sufficent for a record, its really starting to pee me off that sellers charge for this but dont give the recored at least a chance to get to you in one piece :lol:

happy nw year to you all biggrin.gif

Tell us who the seller is Paul.....then I won't buy off him/her/them....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Tell us who the seller is Paul.....then I won't buy off him/her/them....

s.gifaddict4atticstuff

i know i didnt want the insurance but for a £25 tune i at least expected it to be packaged properly

there have been a few others too recently but the records were ok but this one finally tipped me over the edge, i didnt even ask for me money back but just told him to have a bit of respect for his buyers and he slated me the cheeky git :lol:

Social source share

s.gifaddict4atticstuff

i know i didnt want the insurance but for a £25 tune i at least expected it to be packaged properly

there have been a few others too recently but the records were ok but this one finally tipped me over the edge, i didnt even ask for me money back but just told him to have a bit of respect for his buyers and he slated me the cheeky git :lol:

I like the way you leave him neutral and he hits you back with negative. Once again, proves ebays feedback policy is a waste of time.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I like the way you leave him neutral and he hits you back with negative. Once again, proves ebays feedback policy is a waste of time.

tosser of the highest order Pete, if one person sees he dont use correct or at least adequate packaging and dont buy then its worth it to me

Social source share

Don't mention albums, just cost me £12 to send one to the States!

i know, i mainly sell those big records and I got stung a few times when they changed the postage rates. a single lp went down but as soon as you get a few the price rockets up, especially outside the UK. stick to yer 45's fella it's a lot easier!

Social source share

too bloody right too Pete, how much are mailers and 2 bits of proper mailer card slips 30p huh.gif to post 1st class 78p upwards, handling covers the rest, no problem there but to send records in shite packaging is an insult to the buyer imho yes.gif

78p 1st class? :lol:

Hardly call something being chucked in a sack,delivered unsigned for, without insurance whatsoever, 1st class.Just cos it says fragile on the packet does'nt mean they get treat any better!

As a collector ,who sells records on when i want something new,or no longer want em.I usually send em in old mailers.

I like to think i package em well ,never had any complaints.

To be honest i recieve a lot of records in old mailers,and it don't bother me.

The key issue is ,always package a record for someone else, how you would expect it to be packed for you.

In the world we live in i like to think of it as "recycling" and we all like to do our bit eh :(

Seriously though,i agree theres no need for anyone to send a record shoddily packed,insurance will never replace some of these long since deleted items.

Social source share

tosser of the highest order Pete, if one person sees he dont use correct or at least adequate packaging and dont buy then its worth it to me

I spose you could always go onto one of his big items and ask the seller a question: "Has the seller learnt how to start packing his records properly yet or are they still dangerously inadequate?" That should stitch him up nicely as he has left you a negative. :lol:

Social source share

That's the seller who was selling 45s for the Gary, IN seller that ripped someone off on here on the seven souls. That seven souls they just sold is the same one that someone on here paid for already like a couple of years ago and never received (I forget the user now).

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

78p 1st class? :lol:

Hardly call something being chucked in a sack,delivered unsigned for, without insurance whatsoever, 1st class.Just cos it says fragile on the packet does'nt mean they get treat any better!

As a collector ,who sells records on when i want something new,or no longer want em.I usually send em in old mailers.

I like to think i package em well ,never had any complaints.

To be honest i recieve a lot of records in old mailers,and it don't bother me.

The key issue is ,always package a record for someone else, how you would expect it to be packed for you.

In the world we live in i like to think of it as "recycling" and we all like to do our bit eh wink.gif

Seriously though,i agree theres no need for anyone to send a record shoddily packed,insurance will never replace some of these long since deleted items.

i also re-use all my old mailers to Nev, turn them inside out and they are as good as new, i recieve loads like that too and have no problems what so ever with that and yes i know that 1st class does not mean a better service but its not an expensive way to send next day delivery and i either use brand new record mailers or old mailers i can turn inside out, i have never sent a record to anyone in anything less myself so thats the least i would expect in return as like you say its not about the money its about the record itself and some just dont warrant insurance and thats a risk i take sometimes, i bought a record off of someone on here recently and declined the insurance but the record was perfectly packed in a proper mailer but it came broken and i just couldnt work out how it could of broke as the packaging was in perfect order when it arrived and when i mentioned this to the seller they said you declined insurance to which i agreed but out of interest i asked what they would of done if it was insured and they just said it still wasnt there fault and to claim off the Post Office, im just getting frustrated at some sellers not giving a shit about what they are sending to someone that has just done business with them

Social source share

I spose you could always go onto one of his big items and ask the seller a question: "Has the seller learnt how to start packing his records properly yet or are they still dangerously inadequate?" That should stitch him up nicely as he has left you a negative. :rolleyes:

good idea, but unfortunately a question only appears in the description if the seller chooses to display it...

Social source share

I remember buying this a couple of years ago.

Styrene, THE RARER TITLE - "Do The Discotheque"

When it arrived from the States, it was rattling around inside an old Album Sleeve with no 45 cover.

Wrapped in a thin paper covering.

How it hadn't snapped into numerous pieces I still don't know.

Parkway_P-949-B_S.jpg

Social source share

I remember buying this a couple of years ago.

Styrene, THE RARER TITLE - "Do The Discotheque"

When it arrived from the States, it was rattling around inside an old Album Sleeve with no 45 cover.

Wrapped in a thin paper covering.

How it hadn't snapped into numerous pieces I still don't know.

I got a Jimmy Burns - I Tried from a seller in Chicago packed just the same as that, LP mailer with no stiffeners and the record taped in the middle, unfortunately it had cracked right across. I was mainly annoyed cos it was fairly cheap and I wanted to sell it on.

I got my money back via PayPal but it was a right mess about. I claimed due to the item arrived damaged due to poor packaging, Paypal made me get a letter from a record dealer stating the packaging was inappropriate (thank you again to a very nice man in Leeds) and I had to send the record back tracked which was pricey. Ended up out of pocket but feeling better for it.

I posted this saga up on here and the guy tipped up and said he didn't see what the problem was, he always sent singles out like this and had only had about 5% of them damaged ........ :P

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Got an LP in the post a while back sent in a black bin liner. I kid you not.

Record was ok fortunately but when I told the seller what a stupid thing that was to do he replied 'I only use recycled packaging' :P:D:lol: something wrong with using recycled cardboard mailers then.

There's one born every minute!!!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I got a Jimmy Burns - I Tried from a seller in Chicago packed just the same as that, LP mailer with no stiffeners and the record taped in the middle, unfortunately it had cracked right across. I was mainly annoyed cos it was fairly cheap and I wanted to sell it on.

I got my money back via PayPal but it was a right mess about. I claimed due to the item arrived damaged due to poor packaging, Paypal made me get a letter from a record dealer stating the packaging was inappropriate (thank you again to a very nice man in Leeds) and I had to send the record back tracked which was pricey. Ended up out of pocket but feeling better for it.

I posted this saga up on here and the guy tipped up and said he didn't see what the problem was, he always sent singles out like this and had only had about 5% of them damaged ........ :P

:D you was that 5% :lol:

Social source share

HAD A JACKIE WILSON 45 ARRIVE FROM TENERIFFE T'OTHER DAY, PAID 7 EURO FOR POSTAGE AN IT ARRIVED IN A BROWN PAPER BAG, LUCKILY INTACT.

BRI PINCH.

From Tenerife ? Was it " Nothing But Blus Skies " ? ........

Sorry , Bri - i could not resist that ......

I once bought a 45 from the States , and the disc was wrapped in an old tee shirt inside the packaging it was sent in ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hi Mate, can you not report him to Ebay for leaving neg feedback for no reason, thought they had some process of appeal, although from what I hear they have processes for lots of things they just never follow them.!!

Had numerous strange packages last year (records that is not plain brown ones) including a pizza box with single inside as someone said above and about half a dozen 7"s just within a plain envelope and loads of shredded paper that was obviously supposed to cushion them but it had just gone through the middles making them as solid as a rock (name that song!). Thankfully no damages as yet!

I think the worst packaging (between 2 open cardboard sleeves!) was from a guy who charged almost double normal rate for "better packaging"!!

Normally from the US I must admit, all good reasons to buy all your records from the grumpy buggers in Melton Mowbray or Wolverhampton me thinks!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi Mate, can you not report him to Ebay for leaving neg feedback for no reason, thought they had some process of appeal, although from what I hear they have processes for lots of things they just never follow them.!!

Had numerous strange packages last year (records that is not plain brown ones) including a pizza box with single inside as someone said above and about half a dozen 7"s just within a plain envelope and loads of shredded paper that was obviously supposed to cushion them but it had just gone through the middles making them as solid as a rock (name that song!). Thankfully no damages as yet!

I think the worst packaging (between 2 open cardboard sleeves!) was from a guy who charged almost double normal rate for "better packaging"!!

Normally from the US I must admit, all good reasons to buy all your records from the grumpy buggers in Melton Mowbray or Wolverhampton me thinks!

thats what bugs me more than anything Jock and that is that they charge for packaging and dont package properly :lol: i will from now on email the seller before i buy if they package records in proper mailers but then if a top hard to find tune turns up and they say no its coming in recycled bog paper what do i do, accept im going to get a shit parcel and hope that it arrives ok :lol:

ps, what comes in plain brown parcels :thumbsup:

Is insurance on cheap records worth it :thumbup:

Social source share

so its not just me then :thumbsup: i though that there was a conspiracy against me :lol:

Not at all Bearsy, think we've all had "incidents" - think someone said they even had one arrive in a baby's nappy once. :thumbup: Smithy I think? (he received it, didn't send it like that :lol: ) I certainly had one in a jiffy bag with no strengtheners - it was styrene and guess what? vinyl arrived split in two where it had no doubt been hurled around in a sorting depot.

What gets me is that some of these blatant loonies insist that their packaging is OK when clearly it ain't so. They've probably never been outside of their home town in Texas let alone Texas itself, or even the USA (god forbid), and probably have no idea what happens to parcels in transit once they drop them in the big shiny blue mailbox at the end of their road. I realise this is sounding like a rant at some of our US cousins, and many of them are very good, but most of the oddballs also seem to come from there it has to be said! I have had discs that are extremely well packed from the USA but mainly from professional sellers, rather than Joe Dungarees in Arkansaw.

Can't recall a really bad package from the UK or Europe, though obviously one or two could have been a bit better.

Rant over.

See you on the 11th Mr Bear.

Social source share

Not at all Bearsy, think we've all had "incidents" - think someone said they even had one arrive in a baby's nappy once. :thumbsup: Smithy I think? (he received it, didn't send it like that :thumbup: ) I certainly had one in a jiffy bag with no strengtheners - it was styrene and guess what? vinyl arrived split in two where it had no doubt been hurled around in a sorting depot.

What gets me is that some of these blatant loonies insist that their packaging is OK when clearly it ain't so. They've probably never been outside of their home town in Texas let alone Texas itself, or even the USA (god forbid), and probably have no idea what happens to parcels in transit once they drop them in the big shiny blue mailbox at the end of their road. I realise this is sounding like a rant at some of our US cousins, and many of them are very good, but most of the oddballs also seem to come from there it has to be said! I have had discs that are extremely well packed from the USA but mainly from professional sellers, rather than Joe Dungarees in Arkansaw.

Can't recall a really bad package from the UK or Europe, though obviously one or two could have been a bit better.

Rant over.

See you on the 11th Mr Bear.

There is a U.S. Seller that Includes a Newspaper page from that day plus a Sweet Lollipop, Very Good Packaging too.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

What would be great is if somebody would do a guide to packaging records :thumbsup: I am the packager in my house and I am never sure whether I'm going too over the top (ie too many cardboard /jiffy bag inserts) or not. How can I ensure that a 45 or 33 arrives in perfect condition for certain (postman/lady dependant obviously). I always put the Sam Dees message on the packaging but are there any further recommendations? I do tend to recycle mailers as I don't see why not if they're intact but I've noticed that some people moan about that on here.

Comments and guidance welcome!!

Edited by reg
Social source share

I once bought a 45 from the States , and the disc was wrapped in an old tee shirt inside the packaging it was sent in ......

Malc Burton

A free "t" shirt with every record,very novel

Not a bad idea ,could maybe start a trend :thumbup:

Can just see it now "PLANET RECORDS" logo on the front :thumbsup:

When I opened the packaging and pulled out the trr shirt , Lady B said " what are you buying tee shirts for ? haven't you

got enough ? " ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!