John Miles - One Minute Every Hour

Sunnysoul

This has always been perceived as a northern soul record.

If so, when, where and by whom was it first played?

What (label) was the first issue of the record in the UK?

It was also composed by Aussie pop legends George Young and Harry Vanda of the Easybeats. Does anyone know the background to the song? How did Vanda & Young end up composing a soul styled track for a UK singer in the early 70's?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It was issued on Orange, a label that had some sort of a tie-in with the manufacturers of amplifiers etc (I think).

Harry and George also wrote John Miles' previous two singles on Orange, "Hard Road" (great rock tune) and "Yesterday Was Just the Beginning" (more souly). JM was, if memory serves, the only artist on the label, apart from the group that he had been in (name escapes me) before going solo. I think the V?Y connection was just a publishing thing, either that or Miles knew great pop songwriting when he heard it.

Don't know who played it on the Northern scene, though!

Social source share

would have thought twisted wheel era as this used to get played at our parish disco and youth clubs circa early 70's

mark

Don't think it was that early, I think it was released in 72/73 so it would be Torch/Cats, agree it was a monster youth club record though. Must have been deleted quickly because it was actually bootlegged on Orange like a US copy. Just found a scan of the bootleg - 1973 release originally.

c019_1.JPG

Social source share

would have thought twisted wheel era as this used to get played at our parish disco and youth clubs circa early 70's

mark

Think it was a bit later than the Wheel.

I first heard it around 72/73 at The Charade in Rotherham.

DJ Dave Grounds used to always play it side by side with Jimmy James "A Man Like Me".

Always loved the track.

Social source share

DJ Dave Grounds used to always play it side by side with Jimmy James "A Man Like Me".

Always loved the track.

Yes it's very similar to A Man Like Me. There were a lot of those "Biddu" type productions round in the early 70's that got interest, The Playthings was mentioned last week and I heard one of the radio today I haven't heard in decades, Polly Brown - Up in a puff of smoke, that was a good youth club record that the girls all seemed to like. Nice nostalgic little pop tune.

Social source share

Always loved the track.

yes you are right but i am old so memory banks are shite it must have been played right away as a new release as i remember it from the 73 most of the normal discos in the 70's played a lot of soul stuff anyway, in 73 iwa 15/16 so still going to youth clubs as well.

mark

Social source share

Always loved the track.

" OMEH " was released in 1973 on Orange , as to who played it first on the NSS . I have no clue ......

It was hugely popular back then , and despite its' origins , the track never seemed " out of place " when , or wherever , you heard it .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

" OMEH " was released in 1973 ,: as to who played it first on the NSS . I have no clue ......

It was hugely popular back then , and despite its' origins , the track never seemed " out of place " when you heard it .....

Malc Burton

it was in the swiss charts in 1972 according to one site i just looked? so could it have been late 72 early 73.

mark

Social source share

• 13 years later...
1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

i know this is a lifetime ago mark but i dont think it came out anywhere else officially back in 1973

was played at the early Yate all nighters, quite a popular sound back then

ATB

Floyd

Edited by Floyd
mistake
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

A great youth club tune, up their with love on a mountain top and run baby run.

Aside from that John Miles RIP looks to have had a massively successful career.

Ed

Ye he certainly had his day in the sun from 1975 to 77.  In the 80s he worked with Alan parsons project and was always popular touring all over the world

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Firstly, JOHN MILES Rest in peace. 
Born John Errington in Jarrow, Tyne and Wear. 
He had 4 singles on Cliff Cooper’s Orange label. 
3 were Club hits from the get go……1. Why Don’t You Love Me.  2. Yesterday(was just the beginning) 3. One Minute Every Hour, by far his most popular ‘up North’ selling more than 10k early through mid 70’s. 
ironically, this isn’t the original. Vanda & Young(Easybeats) wrote it for John Farnham, who released it in Australia. More of a Rock version. 
A 4th single Hard Road is less desirable. 
Moving to Bristol, he signed to Decca and slammed the charts with ‘Music(was my first love) and Highfly. 

Really good vocalist and musician. A good body of work from the man. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

Firstly, JOHN MILES Rest in peace. 
Born John Errington in Jarrow, Tyne and Wear. 
He had 4 singles on Cliff Cooper’s Orange label. 
3 were Club hits from the get go……1. Why Don’t You Love Me.  2. Yesterday(was just the beginning) 3. One Minute Every Hour, by far his most popular ‘up North’ selling more than 10k early through mid 70’s. 
ironically, this isn’t the original. Vanda & Young(Easybeats) wrote it for John Farnham, who released it in Australia. More of a Rock version. 
A 4th single Hard Road is less desirable. 
Moving to Bristol, he signed to Decca and slammed the charts with ‘Music(was my first love) and Highfly. 

Really good vocalist and musician. A good body of work from the man. 

Actually Kev,  Farnham's version was released in Australia in 1974 (and only ever released in Australia and New Zealand) which places it after John Miles' release from 1973.

Also Vanda & Young were based in the UK from 1970 to 1973 and were very likely shopping their songs around primarily to artists in the UK and Europe at the time and Miles in fact had already released two singles in the UK previously to "One Minute" which were also Vanda - Young compositions.

John Miles' version of "One Minute" was never released in Australia, so one suspects that once his version became a hit in the UK in 1973, Vanda and Young and the music publisher placed it with an artist like Farnham in order to try to also get a hit with it in Australia and New Zealand.

All of which is to say that John Miles version surely is the original version.

Edited by Sunnysoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!