Cheltenham Saracens Club

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

It depends on where my brother is this weekend.

If he is still in London, I will be going to the Rocket all nighter.

If he is in the Wirral, I will be at Sarrys on Friday and Melksham on Saturday.

Will know later inthe week. If I do go to Sarry's it will be good to meet.

Looks like this is going to be as busy as Plinston was last week!  whistling.gif

Which means it should be a good night.  :D

link

:D:lol::D

The Trouts will be there so at least the bar takings won't suffer whistling.gif

It's the 5th Anniversary (I think) so should be a reasonable turnout.

Soul Sam and local boy made good Dave Thorley guesting.

Guest in town Mikey

You can't all be going to Cleethorpes, surely?  :P

Well at least there won't be a queue for the bar, apart from The Trouts of course.    thumbsup.gif:P

link

Lift booked smile.gif

Will be there with Matt the face :thumbsup: from Trowbridge, and Andy Hutchins from Yate. Possibly Vince Ayers too.

Are we wearing Daffoills in our lapel's so we will know each other?

Guest in town Mikey

Be good to finally meet up.  The wearing of daffodils is just a tad too Welsh for me.  thumbsup.gif

link

OK Well I am the Paul Scholes clone, and Matt looks like Roy Hudd. Just dont tell him I said that biggrin.gif

J O T knows me, as does Hippo, so ask them to point me out.

Looking forward to a cracking night. And as Soul Sam is playing I'm looking forward to hearing Margaret Little again.

OK Well I am the Paul Scholes clone, and Matt looks like Roy Hudd. Just dont tell him I said that  thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to a cracking night. And as Soul Sam is playing I'm looking forward to hearing Margaret Little again.

link

....and J O T and Hippo look like?? smile.gif

Only joking, I've seen Mr Trout before. Or should I say stalked as I've never actually spoken to him! :P

I'm sure we'll bump into one another tomorrow night at some point Mikey. :thumbsup:

Margaret Little? Is she any relation to Stuart? :P

Guest in town Mikey

Careful Mikey, you'll confuse poor SuperC - you know that on this site you have to call me Jerry while on the others you can call me....oh sod it, it's too confusing. I'm going back to sorting out some choons for tomorrow night.....be good to see y'all there...

Jerry/Hippo/whatever :D   :)

link

I forgot.

Its all too confusing.

First request..... Martha Starr -No part time love.

Saw it on the list of Yate sounds you sent me (Got over 100 now). Quality tune wink.gif

Guest Johnny One Trout

OK Well I am the Paul Scholes clone, and Matt looks like Roy Hudd. Just dont tell him I said that  smile.gif

link

And Eric Lomax he's just picked one up and is keen to give it a spin on Friday :):D:D

Guest in town Mikey

And Eric Lomax he's just picked one up and is keen to give it a spin on Friday  :D   :)   wink.gif

link

Is that the one Mick Smith used to play at t'undred?

Guest Johnny One Trout

....and J O T and Hippo look like??  :D

Only joking, I've seen Mr Trout before.  Or should I say stalked as I've never actually spoken to him!  :D

I'm sure we'll bump into one another tomorrow night at some point Mikey.  wink.gif

Margaret Little? Is she any relation to Stuart?  smile.gif

link

:) Scared now laugh.gif:D Just come up and say hello Soops :D

We went to the Saracens 5th Anniversary last night, a very enjoyable evening with Soul Sam and Dave Thorley guesting. Sams xover spot downstairs was class pure class, including Don and Debbie: I could be happy - which had about a dozen people add this rarity to their wants list, Blue Steam: I want a girl, Nightchill: Hop skip etc, Walter Wilson, that shit rare Dynamics tune on Dyna, ....plus several inaugural outings which were fresh to his box and new to my ears. Shame there is no dance floor downstairs as the carpet shuffling isn't easy in kitten heeled mules

Good gossips to be had with the regular Cheltenham crowd, (Budgie was full of praise for the recent Paris allnighter at which the UK visitors were given a really warm welcome), Dave Greet was hammered and very very funny, especially when he broke the 75 meter dash record across a crowded dancefloor to check out the Belita Woods cover up ! Sams main room spot was an ideal blend which included old faves like the Del Larks, and his more current tunes such as Jospeh Webster, Tolbert, Eric Lomax CU, King Moses etc.

I've always said the Cheltenham lot don't need patronising with stale old sounds, and whilst many of them tend to stay local - I love to see the guests giving it some welly and serving up platters that are big elsewhere in the the country instead of a diet of oldies.

Managed a brief word with In Town Mikey & Supercorsa in the dying minutes of the evening. Other SS'ers in attendance semi resident Sarries DJ Jerry Hippo Hipkiss, Steve Smith all the way over from Germany & Sick Boy Charlie George, Mike Ashley, Frenchie the promoter obviously and Budgie the lurker

Nice night, enjoyed most of the music, and Sams main room spot was really bloody fantastic. Seeing Tolbert fill the floor, when very few probably even knew it (it's the power of that record) was heart warming stuff and I felt great kinship with my local brethren

Apart from that - got lashed, threw paper airplanes at a sleeping Pete Robinson, chewed Des Parkers ear off, knocked my pint over, reminisced with Mark Wills, applauded John Weston's impromptu spot downstairs (killer tunes ) made rude jokes about Dave Thorleys shirt and smoked too many fags before coming home and watching the final episode re-run of Green Wing.

Chill out day today ( I have bought lots of weird and wonderful ingredients to make Tiramisu cocktails) before setting off to Wigan for the Orwell all dayer tomorrow. Doubt that we'll make Soultown, the Orwell doesn't finish til 2 am - hope it's a good one for you if you're going.

Had a great time, I'll have to get myself down there again in the future. Although next time I'm going to have to lay off the old Worthingtons!

Nice to meet Mikey, John & Alison. Alison thanks for directions to the kebab shop, I got a burger that wasn't ham or beef! :)

Played the CD on the way home, great first track on it don't you agree Mikey? :sleep3:

Guest in town Mikey

Had a great time, I'll have to get myself down there again in the future.  Although next time I'm going to have to lay off the old Worthingtons!

Nice to meet Mikey, John & Alison.  Alison thanks for directions to the kebab shop, I got a burger that wasn't ham or beef! :P

Played the CD on the way home, great first track on it don't you agree Mikey?  :thumbsup:

link

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Matt's CD player skipped that one. :wicked:

Had a superb night. As I walked in Jerry had Martha Starr cue'd up on the decks, as requested on here. Talk about service with a smile. All Dj's played top spots, even enjoyed the downstairs when i popped in. (Its OK Janine I onlydanced to James Bounty, so it wasnt all disco).

That Margaret Little track. Isnt it just about the best recent discovery, since...ummm....Mello Souls?? :thumbsup:

Had a good chat with Frenchy, and Dave T, and the lad who does the Marrs niters (soory drink had taken hold, cant remember your name). All good lads, all passed on some very useful advice on a project I'm working on. Went home with a warm feeling, but still couldnt listen to Ty Karim.

Following night in Melksham was top quality too. Had a chat with Trickster about his spot at t'undred club. Adrian Croasdell, Dj, Promoter, dream maker. Quite a CV.

Had a superb night. As I walked in Jerry had Martha Starr cue'd up on the decks, as requested on here. Talk about service with a smile.

link

We aim to please, Mikey - here's what else I dug out to play...

Early spot

Joe Moore - I ain't. (Verve demo).

Chuck Bernard - Send for me. (St. Lawrence).

Jimmy Delphs - I've been fooled before. (Carla).

Benny Curtis - Dirty hearts. (Resist).

Lovemasters - Pushin' and pullin'. (Jacklyn).

Four Tempos - Come on home. (Rampart demo).

Ambassadors - (I've got to find) Happiness. (Atlantic demo).

Perigents - Love on a rampage. (Maltese).

Pat Lundy - Soul ain't nothing but the blues. (Columbia demo).

Martha Star - No part time love for me. (Thelma).

Teen Turbans - We need to be loved. (Loma demo).

Z.Z. Hill - Where she at? (Kent).

Ed Crook - That's alright. (Tri Sound).

Chalfontes - He loves me. (Mercury).

Mamie Lee - I can see him slipping away. (MGM).

Main spot

Johnny Howard - The chase is on. (Bashie demo).

Barbara Lewis - I remember the feeling. (Atlantic).

Tobi Lark - Happiness is here. (Topper).

Lee Roye - Tears. (Decca).

Superiors - What would I do? (Verve demo).

Betty Everett - Bye bye baby. (ABC).

Frank Dell - He broke your game wide open. (Valise).

Carol and Gerri - How can I ever find the way. (MGM demo).

Adorables - Ooh boy. (Golden World).

Dells - Run for cover. (Chess).

Vibrations - 'Cause you're mine. (Epic).

Earl Grant - Hide nor hair. (Decca).

Dickie Wonder - Nobody knows. (Sound of soul demo).

Syng McGowan - That's what I want. (Hope).

Mighty Lovers - Mighty lover. (Boo-ga-loo).

Brice Coefield - Ain't that right. (Omen).

Harold Melvin - Get out (and let me cry). (Landa).

...let's just say there were some very sweaty people after that lot! Thought the tunes all night were excellent, the one that Sam finished with caught my ear, apparently also big for Butch and Mr. Dyson, a cover up called "Foolish girl", and Sam was positively gloating when he showed me the Jimmy Burns on Erica that's just gone into his box. Taliking of gloating, O'Brien was doing some of his own, having finally got his hands on that James Bounty Compass original - that's what comes of being there before the start, he swooped on Sam's sales box like the vinyl vulture that he is whistling.gif

Thanks to Pete and Neil for the last five years, here's to the next five...

Jerry.

Guest in town Mikey

Mamie Lee - I can see him slipping away. (MGM).

Jerry.

link

Hadnt heard that Mamie Lee in a good while. Dug Matt 's copy out of his box Saturday afternoon, and played it three times in a row.

Northern, and Soul whistling.gif