What It's All About

As this is my first post I thought I would share an anecdote from Fridays Plinston gathering, that for me, typifies what Northern Soul and its people is all about.

About midnight I got chatting to Fingers across his box of 45's and we chewed the breeze about a number of things including a track by Bettye Swann titled 'My Heart is Closed for the Season'. He lamented the fact that he had a great Bettye Swann tune on Money in his box but it gets overlooked as it nestles between records that have much higher price tags. I didnt know the tune but always enjoy his sets and decided to buy it on spec on his recommendation.

He told me to put my money away and enjoy the record and if I didnt like it I could return it next time.

Now......that to me is what the Northern Soul scene is and should be all about. A true enthusiast encouraging a (relative) amateur and in the process getting a great record listened to and enjoyed and most of all KEEPING THE FAITH.

I probably shouldnt be posting this as everyone will be on to the poor bugger for free records and he will go broke.

If you get to see this Fingers thanks very much and yes 'The Heatache is Gone' is a great record! :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fingers is a top man and a true soul lover first, dealer second. This is why I have always placed him on at Plinston and he typifies the spirit of Plinston, namely great music whatever the price tag, encouraging others and up for a great laff. That said he has given me some very tasty birthday presents of a vinyl nature and or that he can ogle my wife even more :-))

Social source share

As this is my first post I thought I would share an anecdote from Fridays Plinston gathering, that for me, typifies what Northern Soul and its people is all about.

About midnight I got chatting to Fingers across his box of 45's and we chewed the breeze about a number of things including a track by Bettye Swann titled 'My Heart is Closed for the Season'. He lamented the fact that he had a great Bettye Swann tune on Money in his box but it gets overlooked as it nestles between records that have much higher price tags. I didnt know the tune but always enjoy his sets and decided to buy it on spec on his recommendation.

He told me to put my money away and enjoy the record and if I didnt like it I could return it next time.

Now......that to me is what the Northern Soul scene is and should be all about. A true enthusiast encouraging a (relative) amateur and in the process getting a great record listened to and enjoyed and most of all KEEPING THE FAITH.

I probably shouldnt be posting this as everyone will be on to the poor bugger for free records and he will go broke.

If you get to see this Fingers thanks very much and yes 'The Heatache is Gone' is a great record! :thumbsup:

link

Heatache? Top Fingers, can't help thinking he's a bit of a soft touch bless him. When asking price for Della Reese he was almost told what was going to be paid for it - "that Della Reese, sixty quid yeah" After all that, Dave got it for £50. Jammy begger, I paid £70. Did Dave play it last night? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Heatache?  Top Fingers, can't help thinking he's a bit of a soft touch bless him. When asking price for Della Reese he was almost told what was going to be paid for it - "that Della Reese, sixty quid yeah"  After all that, Dave got it for £50.  Jammy begger, I paid £70.  Did Dave play it last night?  :thumbsup:

link

Yes he played it after blowing out the candles. Not literally they do have electricity in Hertford! Good music poor turnout and too much Ska (Although it pleases the crowd to be fair)

Social source share

The bloke with the 'free' records so I can stalk him next time im at the Plinston  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

link

There's no such thing as a free record!

Social source share

Ah, not so, I got 5 free records at Prestatyn! from the following

Joe Dunlop

Hammy

Martin (R&B man)

John Weston

Dave Rivers

All cheapies and all great tune's 3 of which I was after, and two I didn't know

Social source share

Ah, not so, I got 5 free records at Prestatyn!  from the following

Joe Dunlop

Hammy

Martin (R&B man)

John Weston

Dave Rivers

link

I got a free VG Brenda Holloway once thrown in coz I was whinging that the record I was buying was overpriced :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ah, not so, I got 5 free records at Prestatyn!  from the following

Joe Dunlop

Hammy

Martin (R&B man)

John Weston

Dave Rivers

link

yes I can confirm this, but you forgot to mention the free one that Shute gave you and that was a very special one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!