Guest vegas

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Recycled Records 604 Lighthouse Avenue Monterey (CA 93940) had a good selection when I was there last March. The singles were not in any particular order, soul mixed with just about everything else. As regards soul albums they were easy to flick through being at just the right height for a short-a**e like me.

Have fun and you gotta drive the Pacific Coast highway from Monterey to Santa Barbara, :lol:

Dave

Social source share

Guest tijuana

burbank, is across the bridge from san fransisco its a kind of student area, couple of good record shops in the main street, one was called "omeaba" or some thing...pull the yellow pages when you get there.

have a nice trip.

Replace Burbank with "Berkeley" and Omeaba" with Amoeba, and you may be on to something. laugh.gif

Social source share

I'm going to California in february, and am looking for good shops for original vinyl. Any suggestions?

Cheers

If you are in Santa Monica , check out House Of Records ( 3328 Pico Boulevard / telephone number 310 - 450 -1222 ) .......

You have to dig , but you may find something of interest ......

It may be worthwhile ringing them before you go , and asking if you can have a browse in the back of the store shades.gif .......

Check out this web site - www.djforums.com - as it lists addresses of California based records stores .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest jackspratt8888

I'm going to California in february, and am looking for good shops for original vinyl. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Vegas, try Rooky's Records in the lower Haight street district of San Francisco. They have about 400,000 45s in various conditions. most are $5.00 to $25 US.They have listening stations as well...it's on the 400 blk of Haight street. Thomas

Social source share

If you are in Santa Monica , check out House Of Records ( 3328 Pico Boulevard / telephone number 310 - 450 -1222 ) .......

You have to dig , but you may find something of interest ......

It may be worthwhile ringing them before you go , and asking if you can have a browse in the back of the store shades.gif .......

Check out this web site - www.djforums.com - as it lists addresses of California based records stores .......

Malc Burton

They are gone.

Another shop closed, BYE.

THE best 45 spots are Bagatelle in Long Beach,

Record Recycler in Torrance,

Atomic in Burbank

Rockaway in Silverlake

and Mr. c's in Orange.

Hit or miss, but stuff sometimes comes through.

Those are the highlights for Southern California.

The Bay area still have some good spots..Rookies is a MUST.

Pm me if you need more contacts, I've got many more. There are record shows on almost every weekend within 500 miles, and I recommend em' all....

Good luck and enjoy Cali! :P

Social source share

They are gone.

Another shop closed, BYE.

THE best 45 spots are Bagatelle in Long Beach,

Record Recycler in Torrance,

Atomic in Burbank

Rockaway in Silverlake

and Mr. c's in Orange.

Hit or miss, but stuff sometimes comes through.

Those are the highlights for Southern California.

The Bay area still have some good spots..Rookies is a MUST.

Pm me if you need more contacts, I've got many more. There are record shows on almost every weekend within 500 miles, and I recommend em' all....

Good luck and enjoy Cali! wink.gif

Thanks for that ; it has been quite a few years since I was in SM , and HOR was open then as I visited it .......

I seem to recall - but cannot remember the name - that there was another store on Pico Boulevard : has this also gone ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hell of a while since i was there but there is a shop in Glendale( i think) Novotnoys Antiques!

Staircase at the back of the shop upstairs(was) completely racked out with records

Steve

They moved to Pasadena.

And do NOT carry records now. Only furniture.

BAGATELLE in Long Beach bought all of their 45 stock in the mid 90s.

Go there. Telephone 562 432 7534

Tell em I sent you, they might let you in the back room with some luck! shades.gif

Social source share

There's another ameoba records in SF just down the road from Rookies, keep going away from centre of SF along Haight st when you reach the park you'll have just gone past it on the left, (it's next to the McDonalds) Check the opening times before you go most of these places don't seem to open until nearly mid day. There's another record shop on Haight St somewhere between Rookies and Ameoba, it wasn't open when i was last there but it looked interesting. If you go into Rookies ask him if you can look in the cupboard , seems thats where he keeps most of the 6T's soul.

Social source share

Been mentioned before I know but can't reccomend "Rookey Ricardos" enough, wide selection and friendly knowlegable staff (including a soul sourcer ohmy.gif ) don't expect any daft bargains but a huge selection and if you have a little patience you will find some great soul bargains :yes:

448 Haight St (between Filmore & Webster) open 12 till 1800 daily tel(415) 864 7526

Nice beers in a bar accross the road (forgotten the name now, hic, but if you ask in the shop they'll point you inthe right direction)

thirsty work this record hunting

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Was in California in October 07' and went to both Rookie's and Bagatelle.

Rookie's is a great shop and has some good mod tunes (they haven't sussed this stuff yet unless it's crossed over to the nothern scene), but not much northern as most of it goes to auction, I found this out from speaking the owner, also they have all Manships guides. There are some interesting 45's on the front counter and also on the floor at the backside. I visited twice in two days, on the first visit I spent about 3 hours rooting around and the assistant did me a really good deal on a bulk number of items. On my second visit the owner was there and he was less generous. The stuff here is fairly well laid out, although there are loads of mixed boxes on the floor.

At my one visit to Bagatelle I spent about 2 hours going through boxes of 45's which are arkward to get at as the are positioned high up. The are a couple of interesting boxes next to the counter. Again they use Manships book, but charge about 1/2 the book values for the cheaper stuff.

Forgotten to mention both have record players with headphones, so you listen to whatever tracks you want.

Happy shopping.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!