Hinckley Soul Nite

Hinckley Northern Soul Clarendon Club

Next On: Saturday, 26 March, 2005

What is it?: 100% Northern Soul

Time Warp Promotions and Hinckley Northern Soul present there 100% Northern Soul nite at the Clarendon Club ,Coventry Road, Hinckley, Leicestershire on the 26th March 2005. There will be 2 guest dj`s playing on the night including Mark Freeman who runs the Bedworth Soul nights at the Civic Hall also playing will be Ray Bonser from Nuneaton and not for getting our very own the ever dynamic Miss Sam Evans and our local dj`s Dave, Wayne and Mark. The doors will be open from 7.30pm untill 12.45am. The bar wil be open untll 12.00 mid night for all your refreshments. Also don`t forget to hear all the very best in northern soul from the past to the present get there early as it promises to be another packer!....And all this fun for only £5.00 o.t.d. See you all there! Kelly, Dave, Mark, Pez, and Wayne. For more info:

Telephone: 01455-847970

Email:soulieoldies@hotmail.com

or visit www.freewebs.com/hinckleynorthernsoul

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyone on here going to this? Will be oldies all the way but a good atmosphere I'm sure and as I only live 3 miles away...

link

===============

did u go dan and wot did u think

nnumbers were down but the dancefloor was full most of the time

anyone want a playlist?

Guest Leigh J

===============

did u go dan and wot did u think

nnumbers were down but the dancefloor was full most of the time

anyone want a playlist?

link

yes

Hi Mark

Yes I went.

I thought:

i) Excellent venue

ii) Friendly promoters and punters (numbers might have been down but it was still fairly busy I thought)

iii) Sound system not great - hardly any bass, though I noticed that less and less as the Guinness, Stella and JD&coke flowed (maybe this lack of bass is to avoid pissing off neighbours with noise?)

Also couldn't hear the early DJs at all - you and Sam Evans were clear enough so maybe something had been done by then?

iv) Too many oldies for my personal taste - I think I knew every record played (as I'm sure you did Mark, and probably many other people there) and had heard many of them far too many times in the past (Vibrations, Billy Butler etc etc)

I felt the DJs could have thrown in a few slightly less-well-known tracks (I'm not talking total unknowns) and maybe a bit more midtempo from time to time.

That said, they were obviously playing to the floor which is only right and they kept the floor fairly busy and even had me up a few times. The paying public seemed to be having a laugh.

v) No records worth buying, but then that's probably a good thing!

It's not the sort of soul night I would travel more than, say, 20 miles to but since I only live in the next village I will definitely go again.

I'd give it 7/10 but with a slight tweak of the music policy (literally, 5 or 6 slightly less well-known records an hour in place of the more hammered ones would do it for me) and it could easily be 8/10 because of the venue etc.

BTW what are the Sunday soul sessions like?

Edited by Dan

Hi Mark

Yes I went.

I thought:

i) Excellent venue

ii) Friendly promoters and punters (numbers might have been down but it was still fairly busy I thought)

iii) Sound system not great - hardly any bass, though I noticed that less and less as the Guinness, Stella and JD&coke flowed (maybe this lack of bass is to avoid pissing off neighbours with noise?)

Also couldn't hear the early DJs at all - you and Sam Evans were clear enough so maybe something had been done by then?

iv) Too many oldies for my personal taste - I think I knew every record played (as I'm sure you did Mark, and probably many other people there) and had heard many of them far too many times in the past (Vibrations, Billy Butler etc etc)

I felt the DJs could have thrown in a few slightly less-well-known tracks (I'm not talking total unknowns) and maybe a bit more midtempo from time to time.

That said, they were obviously playing to the floor which is only right and they kept the floor fairly busy and even had me up a few times. The paying public seemed to be having a laugh.

v) No records worth buying, but then that's probably a good thing!

It's not the sort of soul night I would travel more than, say, 20 miles to but since I only live in the next village I will definitely go again.

I'd give it 7/10 but with a slight tweak of the music policy (literally, 5 or 6 slightly less well-known records an hour in place of the more hammered ones would do it for me) and it could easily be 8/10 because of the venue etc.

BTW what are the Sunday soul sessions like?

link

===========

hi dan

same old story mate

u play new stuff to a crowd that mostly dont go anywhere else and empty the floor

or u play what you know what theyre gonna dance to ..

as i always seem to be on last at venue im always get bogged down with requests (not that im complaining) but it rather limits your scope to 'break' new things

i told kelly the promoter i as much as anyone can play new stuff or more quality tunes til the cows come home but theres a time and a place methinks

i could have been selfish and done the above but it wouldnt get me many gigs would it,,not that ive got loads anyhow

the sundays are more of a free for all where anyone can do a bit,,and theres no pressure to get people dancing ,,also theyre in the smaller room

heres my playlist anyway

cliff noble - my love is getting stronger

professionals - thats why i love you

big al t - 25 miles

elgins - heaven must have sent you

jnr walker - i aint going nowhere

marty lewis - i cant do without you

majestics - i love her so much

jeff perry - love dont come no stronger

pages - heartaches and pain

gene woodbury - ever again

natural 4 - i thought you were mine

majestics - i love her so much

willie kendricks - change your ways

kumano - ill cry for you

patti & emblems - im gonna love you a long long time

tommy bush - i dont like it

little rose little - youve got the love

cortez greer - very strong on you

brooklyn bridge - free as the wind

===========

hi dan

same old story mate

u play new stuff to a crowd that mostly dont go anywhere else and empty the floor

or u play what you know what theyre gonna dance to ..

as i always seem to be on last at venue im always get bogged down with requests (not that im complaining) but it rather limits your scope to 'break' new things

i told kelly the promoter i as much as anyone can play new stuff or more quality tunes til the cows come home but theres a time and a place methinks

i could have been selfish and done the above but it wouldnt get me many gigs would it,,not that ive got loads anyhow

Hi Mark

Yeah, not having a pop at you (or any of the djs for that matter). I know you've been around long enough to have heard The Right Track enough times for sure and I obviously understand the point about playing to the floor.

No criticism of anyone really, promoters included, it's just the way it is, I know. Just a shame because it could be an even better night than it is (though I'm sure many of the people there think it's fine anyway).

Basically, there are a lot of people who like northern but have never been serious collectors (nothing wrong with that) and if they only go out once a month to a local do they don't want to be confronted with 6 hours of tunes they don't know, no matter how good they are. I understand that.

I wonder if one way round it is for the promoters and regular djs/guests like you to get together and identify 30 less-well known tracks that you'll slip in and whack them on a free CD for people (costs peanuts). Then they can listen to and get familiar with other stuff as well as hearing it when they go to the Clarendon?

Only a thought.

cheers

Dan