Soul Night Disgrace

Ok i know this thread has been on before but i just have to get this off my chest. Last night i travelled to a northern soul venue ( No name mentioned ) to listen and enjoy a night of good music and i was not let down. However i have been collecting vinyl now for about 20 years and have a decent collection of originals of which i have spent a small fortune on and seached and haggled for that elusive single to put in my box. So when a Dj gets up and starts playing great originals be it £20 or £2000 i know he has worked hard to build a collection and reputation to stand proudly behind the decks.

What a HATE however is a person who strolls up and is allowed to play an hour of bootlegs and re issues of rare records without the other Djs batting an eyelid and stepping off the decks to a round of applause. The set SHE played was fine except for the absence of 90%originals. Maybe im being a little biast but if i had been going on next i would have been cheesed off Knowing a £1000 original i was going to play had been played on a £5 bootleg previously.

I realise that the average northern soul punter doesn't care what format the record is as long as they can dance, but surely the event organisers sould stop this to keep some credability to there soul event. Needless to say we left before the end.

Social source share

• Replies 749
  • Views 46.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

agree totally

people buy records (Originals)with there hard earned money

they buy the record off someone who in a lot of cases spends that on

more originals ,,and so it goes on

remember Butch storning onto the stage at Winsford,because someone was

playing a home made acetate of one of his big tunes

he took needle off djs platter,and slat it across stage

Social source share

I have to agree 100% with your sentiment, I've no idea which venue you are talking about but my opinion is that this down to the organisers to clearly state their venue & music policy ie originals only or anything goes !! then let the punter decide, this will also influence which DJ's they are able to attract.

alan

Social source share

I have to agree 100% with your sentiment, I've no idea which venue you are talking about but my opinion is that this down to the organisers to clearly state their venue & music policy ie originals only or anything goes !! then let the punter decide, this will also influence which DJ's they are able to attract.

alan

Get one of these in at each venue : it will soon stop the blaggards ........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1200142907.jpg

Social source share

Ok i know this thread has been on before but i just have to get this off my chest. Last night i travelled to a northern soul venue ( No name mentioned ) to listen and enjoy a night of good music and i was not let down. However i have been collecting vinyl now for about 20 years and have a decent collection of originals of which i have spent a small fortune on and seached and haggled for that elusive single to put in my box. So when a Dj gets up and starts playing great originals be it £20 or £2000 i know he has worked hard to build a collection and reputation to stand proudly behind the decks.

What a HATE however is a person who strolls up and is allowed to play an hour of bootlegs and re issues of rare records without the other Djs batting an eyelid and stepping off the decks to a round of applause. The set SHE played was fine except for the absence of 90%originals. Maybe im being a little biast but if i had been going on next i would have been cheesed off Knowing a £1000 original i was going to play had been played on a £5 bootleg previously.

I realise that the average northern soul punter doesn't care what format the record is as long as they can dance, but surely the event organisers sould stop this to keep some credability to there soul event. Needless to say we left before the end.

Is she quite tall ,with black hair in a bob style..initial " D "

Bazza

Social source share

who is the dj and where is the venue.

Subtle as ever Chalky wink.gif but it is annoying - used to happen down South on a regular basis but is obviously a nationwide thing. Its should be one of our golden rules that as passionate lovers of the music we are proud to adhere to. Personally I'm happy being a 3rd class dj who plays only origs/album cuts but some cannot seem to grasp the turmoil and heartache that some go through to buy the originals. They probably think they are up there with the Butch's etc for that hour or so whilst they roll out background hiss counterfeits of rare tracks when they would be more appreciated and respected for playing £10-20 real ones. Riles me - to think that in 1980 I was doing the same nasty thing embarrasses me and my place in hell is booked for my sins.

Social source share

Thanks for your views guys... maybe we can get a dj to tell us his or her feelings on the subject.

M.

Hi just thought i'd tell you what i think, i'm a DJ from the sunny northeast i pride myself on playing originals its my passion to find the records i love and play them out, it gives me a buzz but i have also had great nites listening to dj's who play nothing but pressings now admittedly this at a soulnite(early finish) where people just go to dance and party and dont give a toss whats on the decks, its only us dj's and collectors that ever have a problem with this issue and it isnt ever gonna go away so my oppinion is dont go and look whats on the decks just HAVE FUN isnt that whats its all about??? besides i no a few dj/collectors who play nothing but boots because they wont play there PRECIOUS records coz they cost so much :thumbsup: you have got to remember there are DJ'S and then there are collectors who dj :P luv ya all lots Di xxx thumbup.gif:P

Social source share

Subtle as ever Chalky :P but it is annoying - used to happen down South on a regular basis but is obviously a nationwide thing. Its should be one of our golden rules that as passionate lovers of the music we are proud to adhere to. Personally I'm happy being a 3rd class dj who plays only origs/album cuts but some cannot seem to grasp the turmoil and heartache that some go through to buy the originals. They probably think they are up there with the Butch's etc for that hour or so whilst they roll out background hiss counterfeits of rare tracks when they would be more appreciated and respected for playing £10-20 real ones. Riles me - to think that in 1980 I was doing the same nasty thing embarrasses me and my place in hell is booked for my sins.

you know me too well Steve laugh.gif my point is name and shame then it is up to the punters if they want to choose to support these DJ's and venues? I don't want to travel to hear a set full of boots or supporet a venue that employs DJ's that do this when there are plenty of good DJ's (1st 2nd, 3rd or any other class) out there who can do it properly.

Social source share

If you check the events calender for the 11th its not hard to work it out. Can't say anymore as i might upset a close friend.

The person doing the DJ booking wants a boot up the arse. If you are promoting an event then you are responcible for the music. Why book someone with no records????????

Social source share

has this always gone on or is it a more recent (last couple of years) thing,i know of a couple of venues in notts where certain "djs" play boots.Most of the time the normal punter dont give a fook if its a boot or not but when you collect records yourself and you know its a boot,thats annoying boxing.gifwanker.gif

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

well it wasnt me.......it really gets my goat that promoters allow this kinda thing to go on,...and even worse if its a SHE it gives us ladies a bad name its hard enough as it is without this sorta thing going on......blood sweat and tears has gone into my record collection......

pressings PAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

has this always gone on or is it a more recent (last couple of years) thing,i know of a couple of venues in notts where certain "djs" play boots.Most of the time the normal punter dont give a fook if its a boot or not but when you collect records yourself and you know its a boot,thats annoying :ohmy:wanker.gif

always gone on I suppose :huh:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

2 why is she getting bookings over other lagit Djs

Maybe bigger tits ??

WINK :ohmy: x 40

Edited by Fatius Bumius
Social source share

Two things i cannot understand...1 why is she Djing with boots anyway and 2 why is she getting bookings over other lagit Djs. :ohmy:

Maybe she is good at reading the floor and playing to the crowd. Some DJs who have fantastic collections just can't DJ. That isn't to say that I agree with playing boots.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

hahaha, laughing at sexist tw*t remark, got a pair of my own, crikey me, sense of humour and all that....chuff me, going back in my sick bed lol.

adding 40 winks to bigger tits comment :ohmy: x 40

Social source share

hahaha, laughing at sexist tw*t remark, got a pair of my own, crikey me, sense of humour and all that....chuff me, going back in my sick bed lol.

adding 40 winks to bigger tits comment :huh: x 40

:ohmy:

Social source share

SO............FUC**n TELL US WHO IT IS THEN......THIS IS LIKE A RUTH RENDLE MYSTERY

i just have an idea,ask the person who started the thread,anyhow its not just her,as ive said its very common thing in notts,NOT SAYING EVERYONE but there are one or two that do it

Social source share

i just have an idea,ask the person who started the thread,anyhow its not just her,as ive said its very common thing in notts,NOT SAYING EVERYONE but there are one or two that do it

For my sins Jim, im partly responsible for this DJ getting started, Ive known her a few year,she said she had a decent collection,and was looking for a few spots,so I introduced her to a few promoters in the notts derby mansfield leicester, area's :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

For my sins Jim, im partly responsible for this DJ getting started, Ive known her a few year,she said she had a decent collection,and was looking for a few spots,so I introduced her to a few promoters in the notts derby mansfield leicester, area's :ohmy:

Bazza

so its all your fault then bazza :huh: dont worry shes not the only one doing it mate,dont agree with it though at all

Social source share

snob

i'll get my coat then, see if i can't hide from this elitism that's rampent in the minds of some people.

there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely.

Social source share

Bazza

Whats worse a new girl on the block playing boots or a well known dj getting spots sos he can play his digitised/remastered/discoed up records. at least the boot sounds like the real thing. :huh:

Social source share

hsnob

i'll get my coat then, see if i can't hide from this elitism that's rampent in the minds of some people.

there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely.

AT LAST the voice of reason one of my closest and dearest friends has got one of the best record collections in the country but is a crap dj :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

can't see what the problem is...there are a lot of places where this happens,people have no integrity these days.One of the main reasons a lot of venues are started up is so the person promoting the do automatically then becomes a resident dj and in most cases they have NO fecking tunes or even the knowledge. the promoter then plays you dj at my do with ya bootlegs and i'll dj at yours,even if these people have a few originals they only buy tunes to DJ with,not to collect...more fool the punter say I!. SOLUTION go to do's run by people who are ON the soul scene because generally they will not have dj's who have boots. A good choice might be the 100 club,burnley,middleton,lowton,bids,the attic and barnsley,I may not of been to all these places,but I know that on the whole they are GENUINE. :ohmy:

Social source share