Soul Night Disgrace

hahaha, laughing at sexist tw*t remark, got a pair of my own, crikey me, sense of humour and all that....chuff me, going back in my sick bed lol.

adding 40 winks to bigger tits comment :( x 40

Jim are these proper ones or boots :(

Social source share

• Replies 749
  • Views 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

But I bet those girls were happy to hear some of the 100 Club anniversary singles and Butch's biggies that were all brand new and unheard of prior to their debuts (obviously). So though they don't think they like new sounds, I'm sure they'll actually be benefitting from some of those that have been discovered since they first started on the scene.

Ady, like I said :(:( may be the reason - in some instances - even if it is hard to believe.

Social source share

In all honesty I see your point Pete but it really does depend where you are and who the punters are. Burnley is proof of that - been a long time since I heard a set which at least 50% of the tunes were fresh to my ears, in a couple of sets BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, FOR ME, splendid dancers which more than appealed to me as much as any oldie I love. All points towards accurate marketing/advertising as I really can't see boot spinning being eliminated.

Burnely is an upfront venue playing newies and rarities though Steve and thats not the sort of place I am on about, I'd expect originals only and a few obscurities/try outs there.

Social source share

But I bet those girls were happy to hear some of the 100 Club anniversary singles and Butch's biggies that were all brand new and unheard of prior to their debuts (obviously). So though they don't think they like new sounds, I'm sure they'll actually be benefitting from some of those that have been discovered since they first started on the scene.

You are of course right that even in a relatively "upfront" club like t'Hundred, there are plenty of people who aren't just into the latest newies or rareties and come for a good night out. That's always been the case and was one of the reasons we never went as far out on a limb as Stafford did in the 80s but always tried to maintain a balance between new and old.

Like I said :( . :(

Social source share

Burnely is an upfront venue playing newies and rarities though Steve and thats not the sort of place I am on about, I'd expect originals only and a few obscurities/try outs there.

Thats right Pete - and no one grumbles and it has a good reputation because we all know the policy but the thread was initiated by someone who went to an event where the policy wasn't so clear and therefore (rightly or wrongly) he was offended by the playing of boots - lets just clarify whats on the tin and keep all happier.

Everyone has there own opinions which they stand firm to so lets work round them.

I am now very very very late for the Brighton do - damn soul source :(

Social source share

Right off topic, I suppose, but I`ve been out since I read this thread when it was 3 or posts in and I`ve tried to keep up by reading back until I got to the post where some fella called a woman ( I guess) `Angel`Now this sexist, patronising, demeaning mode of speech just riles me. OK if the person in question wasn`t offended but I was: Anyway, might be `on `thread with all the talk about sexism. :(

Social source share

Can see all sides of the argument- however if I was booking a top "name" Dj I would not expect him to play such "overplayed" tunes that they had been booted in the first place.

After all the "500" records I am talking about are not what I would expect a "Top DJ" to play. If he can only fill the floor with the "same old" - even if on original he's not IMHO, worth hiring.

Social source share

went to ado in keighley sound quality was poor on the boots it totally f****s me off

In all honesty a lot of the sound systems used these days are that poor you wouldnt be able to tell wether it was the record or system that made it sound so bad, a bit less spent on vinyl and a few quid more thrown in to equipment is no bad idea in my oppinion :(

Social source share

Right off topic, I suppose, but I`ve been out since I read this thread when it was 3 or posts in and I`ve tried to keep up by reading back until I got to the post where some fella called a woman ( I guess) `Angel`Now this sexist, patronising, demeaning mode of speech just riles me. OK if the person in question wasn`t offended but I was: Anyway, might be `on `thread with all the talk about sexism. :(

I think they are mates..

Social source share

Been D.Jing at soul events in King's Lynn since year dot. D.J'd at a Motown night put together by an African guy I'd met recently, the night went down a storm. What do you know, he books another night and 'forgets' to ask me to D.J.....subsequently he'd got some bloke from Kent to come 200 miles and play Motown OFF A F*****G LAPTOP!

Social source share

Hi Bridget it didnt offend me in the least, but thats because i am an ANGEL :( jokin aside i dont like sexism either but i dont think it was meant in that way Luv Di x

Social source share

They stated that they preferred to listen and dance to sounds that were familiar to them and that Karls spot was "OK". Now I'm a great believer in each to their own and nothing is "shite", just not to your taste, and there are many superb soul tracks that just don't float my boat BUT do people ever remember the 1st time they heard a tune that they now class as "familiar and OK to dance to"? Did they like it straight away or was it over a period of time when bah bah bah :( they followed the crowd and the general consensus?

Funilly enough, I was only reminiscing last night on my worst ever experience behind the decks. Whilst not the worst I did remember a spot at Blackburn a/n in the nineties. During my spot a young lady approached the decks (ooh! a request!... or so I thought!) and asked 'Can you play something we can dance to?'. Being a bit perplexed by this question - as, at the time, I was spinning Hayes Cotton 'I'll Be Waiting' I asked her to clarify what she meant with which she responded 'Something we know'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It led me to think more or less the same thing... that people are obviously born with a pre-selected batch of tunes already engrained on their brain and that I must be of a 'unique' minority - having had to 'learn' all of the tunes I know by listening to them time and time again! It's great when you hear a tune for the first time and it automatically becomes an engraved fave.. but so, too, can tunes 'grow on you' so they also become ensconced in the personal 'music hall of fame'.

I feel this is a problem to the degree that, on promoting my deejaying aspirations today (whilst I do have 'oldies' in my box I ain't an oldies dj), I feel it necessary, but worthwhile, to give out cd's of not only my main play box but also of other stuff in my collection. That way, hopefully, people can 'identify' with me, as an 'unknown' dj, when I perform at their local soul 'nites & 'niters, and have an idea of what sort of stuff I am capable of playing. That is in addition to the normal obligatory cd's to promotors necessary when touting for spots.

There's certainly a lot of time, effort and expense involved in all of this (as I write I'm busy running off multiple copies of four cd's I currently use as 'handouts') but the way I look at it... at the very least people are getting the chance to listen (& re-listen) to songs they may not already be familiar with and, who knows, they may grow to want to include some of them in that personal 'music hall of fame'! - or, some might like them that much they will request the promoter(s) to put me on!! :(laugh.gif

post-10024-1200162103_thumb.jpg post-10024-1200162916_thumb.jpg

Social source share

To be honest i would be really piss*d off if i was goin on after somone had just played a load of boots that i might have been intending to play on original vinyl.

As has already been said you can buy loads and loads of classey tunes for not to much money these days, so i agree with most of the comments already made, but i have to admit it would'nt bother me either if i was out having a beer and not Djing I would'nt even think about going up and checking a label double standards I know. You got to try and see it from both angles the Dj collector like myself with 25 yrs of collecting originals getting a bit piss8d off with it and the paying punter who could'nt give a toss both happen to have a valid point of view maybe the answer is less is more when it comes to Djs and events.

Social source share

when a mate told me im an up my arse original only twat jokingly and why dont i agree with boots being played i made this simple reply, would you buy fake clothes, watch or perfume/after shave etc etc, he replied no, i said why, he couldnt find an answer cos he likes all his nice legit things,

I do honestly believe that if you are promoting or advertising an event and you are ok for boots to be played and will be played then just put it in your advertising so everyone knows then its up to the individual if they go or not, its not as if no promoter of a soul event on here for example or anywhere come to think of it knows how much trouble the playing of boots would cause,

right im off out to a disco :(

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Wasn't me but I have a bit of a problem with the whole sexist thing. Far be it from me to be sexist, but I regularly greet my female chums at soul do's with "Hiya beautiful how are you?" or "Hello gorgeous, what you up to?" Sanquine, a well known lady on here, is one of my best chums, and I regularly say "Hello sexy, you coming to Wilton or wherever", when she phones or pops round. Is this being sexist? patronising? I hope not, I regard it as being flattering and complimentary, which is something we all like, male or female. If it is sexist I appologise unreservedly, and will moderate my comments in future, I don't want to be labeled a "Sexist pig" I have enough labels with "Grumpy old twat" "Hater of children" and "Elitist chin-stroker"  :(

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

when a mate told me im an up my arse original only twat jokingly and why dont i agree with boots being played i made this simple reply, would you buy fake clothes, watch or perfume/after shave etc etc, he replied no, i said why, he couldnt find an answer cos he likes all his nice legit things,

I do honestly believe that if you are promoting or advertising an event and you are ok for boots to be played and will be played then just put it in your advertising so everyone knows then its up to the individual if they go or not, its not as if no promoter of a soul event on here for example or anywhere come to think of it knows how much trouble the playing of boots would cause,

right im off out to a disco :(

But is the Primark lable ok Paul ? :(

Social source share

heres a thought would you go to see man utd if they played 11 fellas who could play football,but were not their first team. whats the problem...11 blokes in man u shirts playing footy...real enough. is this not entertainment the same as a soul night. why is this not right?...cos you ain't getting what you payed for. IN BOTH CASES you pay for the first team and the first format.

What about if there was a problem with the officially-supplied Man United team shirts and the only shirts they could play in on the day were repro copies bought last minute from the supporters shop. Do you think their supporters would feel cheated that the team weren't wearing first issue shirts despite the players and the style of footy being exactly the same? :(

Social source share

What about if there was a problem with the officially-supplied Man United team shirts and the only shirts they could play in on the day were repro copies bought last minute from the supporters shop. Do you think their supporters would feel cheated that the team weren't wearing first issue shirts despite the players and the style of footy being exactly the same? :(

An interesting point :(

Social source share

Wasn't me but I have a bit of a problem with the whole sexist thing. Far be it from me to be sexist, but I regularly greet my female chums at soul do's with "Hiya beautiful how are you?" or "Hello gorgeous, what you up to?" Sanquine, a well known lady on here, is one of my best chums, and I regularly say "Hello sexy, you coming to Wilton or wherever", when she phones or pops round. Is this being sexist? patronising? I hope not, I regard it as being flattering and complimentary, which is something we all like, male or female. If it is sexist I appologise unreservedly, and will moderate my comments in future, I don't want to be labeled a "Sexist pig" I have enough labels with "Grumpy old twat" "Hater of children" and "Elitist chin-stroker" :(

You forgot the preacher thing :(

Social source share

Guest Trevski

You forgot the preacher thing :(

Yes, "Goes around wearing a lay-preachermans suit, and looking like a turkey" is a label I overlooked! :(

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

There are some great cheap origonals to paly, I played a £10 origonal at the DKOF "The Need to Itch" by the Haemorrhoids, Andy Dyosn enquired where I got it from...

"John Anderson he's got Piles of em"

I had record by the Wellingtons many years ago though that was not a boot.

Anyone remember Gary Rushbrookes After Eights c/up I have a Mint copy for sale..

hey what about got you in my hand by wayne kersoff on master 8 or della rodney i'm your fool on vat

Social source share

Been D.Jing at soul events in King's Lynn since year dot. D.J'd at a Motown night put together by an African guy I'd met recently, the night went down a storm. What do you know, he books another night and 'forgets' to ask me to D.J.....subsequently he'd got some bloke from Kent to come 200 miles and play Motown OFF A F*****G LAPTOP!

Just like to point out that this bloke can have nothing to do with the scene down here.

There was a guy in Rochester who started a do recently, playing Motown, R&B, and some weirdly named African shite. Could be the same bloke. Anyways, his night attracted 0 punters :( .

Apparently the venue gave him the Order of The Boot.

- Kev In Kent

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Course its not relevant, the eleven 'fellas'dressed in Man Utd Shirts cant play like the first team

But the Frank Wilson Boot dressed in a look- a- like 'soul' label sounds just like Kennys Copy :(

M. :(

yes ,but are you not going to a do to hear original vinyl......if they're gonna play boots then they should let their punters know via this site or their flyers.....as I said no integrity

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

it's not the shirt thats fake it's the team..thats my point. you don't pay for a sheep in wolfs clothing do you . it's either a sheep in sheeps clothing or a wolf in wolfs clothing.......bottom line they're cheating cnuts :(

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

heres another point....how would you feel if you went to an allnighter and butch,keith money,mick h and say kitch all played bootlegs all night you'd rightly think you'd been ripped off.....are we saying because it's lesser dj's it's o.k.Your thoughts please

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i you think you've been miss sold something or ripped off in some way why not go and have chat to the promoter and ask for your money back

i think that all soul doos should open hlaf hour earlier for record scrutineering, whistling.gif

Social source share

Blame the promoter(s).

naming and shaming the DJ does no good - it is not their fault. they have been asked to do a job and done it. The promoter should know who he/she is getting on to DJ. And if the promoters policy is to hire DJ's who play boots etc then that is their perogative.

i used to be firmly up my own arse about this and get really pi*sed when DJs played boots; but then i mellowed and saw the bigger picture.

These promoters are putting on soul nites for the enjoyment of their punters. I am of course not talking about 'big' soul nites or niters who aim to bring in peolpe from a far, but the 'local' soul nites - and i don't mean to be degrogatory with that term, there are plenty of excellent 'local' nites; but generally at these venues it is for the 'local' catchment area whose punters want their monthly, or 2 monthly fix of northern soul - and that generally means they want to hear oldies and don't care what format it comes in - original, reissue, boot or cd. They do not want to hear £10 to £50 records they don't know - they want to hear stuff they know to go and dance.

And lets hope that some people attending these nites then want to broaden their horizons and then want to go on further to other venues where the music policy is more to 'our' liking.

But don't diss (that is apperently a hip saying) these events for their music policy - they are providing what is needed for them and their paying punters; and have been a part of the soul scene way before my time, and hopefully way after my time.

After a while you get to know the DJ's and promoters who offer this sort of nite and if you don't like it, don't go. I used to co-promote a nite down here, with Steve C, and our policy was origianls only. And we only booked DJs who would satisfy that - hence alot of local DJs did not get booked and so may have had their noses put out of joint. Tough, that was our policy and we made it clear.

And lets not forget that most DJ's at these events are playing golden oldies to please the floor, so if you have the original - go buy some other different original (i will of course change my stance on this if i start hearing things like the Mello Souls at these do's - then the magic of hearing an original will be gone)

I think there is room for both sort of events within this scene and as i said, hopefull some people at the nites playing boots will go onto the other nites.

And this is from Me, who has NEVER played a boot or reissue in his part-time DJ life.

Social source share

heres another point....how would you feel if you went to an allnighter and butch,keith money,mick h and say kitch all played bootlegs all night you'd rightly think you'd been ripped off.....are we saying because it's lesser dj's it's o.k.Your thoughts please

dont think it is ok,good on the mike or not its easy to go out and buy boots and dj with them.If you want to be a top oldies jock go and spend a bit of cash.The dj in question does sound better than her boot legs sad.gif

Social source share

does she know that they are boots,there are people out there still think they have orig 45s and they end up being boots,i can remember buying johnny Vanelli years ago thinking it was real and for years i did until rob smith put me right sad.gif

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Interesting stuff and i don't see that money calls the shots on a good unknown record. I remember in the early days of the Capitol we were playing lots of £10-£50 unknown records that are nowadays £100+. Alan, i and others had compiled boxes of records during our visits to the record bar at the 100club etc. Its just no one had the balls to play them and when we did people went for it. Yeah some didn't work but many did and later we just got back to rare stuff but always every dj through a few cheap things in. Maybe thats to do with doing regular sets and having the time to play them same records over and over again. I agree that boots should be for your feet only but these things happen and i could name nearly all the top dj's spinning the odd one over the years.

But an hour of Boots is takin the p*ss. I mean theres only so much we can take at our age. boxing.gif

Just my thoughts, now where did i put that emi disc of the temptones lol

greg

Social source share

huh.gif I thought the season for 'old chestnuts roasting in an open fire' had just gone !!! :yes:

Can we clarify if it was an upfront venue or just a local soul night ?

My take on it is that there is room for both train of thoughts !

Without the upfront places & their original 'vinyl only' policy the flow of new discoveries would probably stop as it's these type of nutters :D that have the dedication & willpower to search out the tunes.

But in saying that, if you restrict everything to original 'vinyl only' you would end up with just a tiny little scene & eventualy the death of it due to the fact that no one bar the few who are able to travel the length of the country would get to hear the stuff coming through anyhow !

I personaly just can't see the point of restricting what people can hear on the basis of 'because it was so in the past' ! On one hand you have people moaning because 'divies' & 'handbagers' only like the old played out crap, only to then on the other hand say that they shouldn't be able to hear the 'real' stuff ! That is unless they travel 200 miles at least !

So in short, if it was a local soul night so bleedin' what ! If it was a recognised upfront venue frequented by people who take it very seriously then no it's not right !

Not that i would be bothered either way ! To me vinyl is for collecting & music is for listening & dancing to !!!

Social source share

Yeah, i remember we tried loads of things at the capitol...chicago hour, detroit hour, newies hour etc etc. We did the under £10/£15 hour if i remember correct..don't know who got that set but i bagged the detroit one :-) . Fortnum had the newies i think....good days/fun days.

I think it would be a great idea to raise again at a venue but might only work in a small room. so promoters get rid of the rnb rooms.

Remember one mans newie is another mans oldie laugh.gif

oh no i forgot to mention the females...doh!

greg

Social source share

well it wasnt me.......it really gets my goat that promoters allow this kinda thing to go on,...and even worse if its a SHE it gives us ladies a bad name its hard enough as it is without this sorta thing going on......blood sweat and tears has gone into my record collection......

pressings PAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookie wicked.gif

Tell me that Im wrong! Now thats agood tune by BS&T

Social source share

To be honest i would be really piss*d off if i was goin on after somone had just played a load of boots that i might have been intending to play on original vinyl.

As has already been said you can buy loads and loads of classey tunes for not to much money these days, so i agree with most of the comments already made, but i have to admit it would'nt bother me either if i was out having a beer and not Djing I would'nt even think about going up and checking a label double standards I know. You got to try and see it from both angles the Dj collector like myself with 25 yrs of collecting originals getting a bit piss8d off with it and the paying punter who could'nt give a toss both happen to have a valid point of view maybe the answer is less is more when it comes to Djs and events.

Agree with your sentiments completely

I have been collecting records years and I honestly cant say that I dont have the odd reissue or boot but there are from the seventies / early eighties when I couldnt afford to spend a fortune.

In a lot of cases i think the audience get what it deserves, when a DJ tries to play a set out of the norm people dont dance and the promoters get worried that it will be classed as a bad night.

Therefore there is demand for the same records wherever you go and as long as the punters hear what they want to dance to in the main they are happy.

If the DJ is who I think it is she is good friend of mine and a real soulie

If she gets the dance floor full good on her, thats what the promoters and punters want

I think one of the main causes is the number of soul nights that are primarily playing similar stuff in a lot of cases in not a large area, so the top DJs cant be at every venue.

Me and a mate are starting a soul night near warrington next month where we wont be playing top 500 but good sixties soul R&B and popcorn and although she isnt DJing I know she will be there to support the venue

I have been to some bloody awful soul nights in the last 6 months and some crackers but I just changed my nights out accordingly rather than slagging them off

Social source share