• Replies 149
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest ShaneH

Can anyone confirm the exact meaning of 'norman soul'?

I have seen it mentioned on here a few times. Obviously it is derogatory.

Shane

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Shane

link

My understanding is, a regular on here, possibly Johnny One Trout, had a neighbour stop him and say their young son or daughter was 'begining to listen to this Norman Soul stuff', following the KFC ads.

it became a bit of a laugh on here for a while to refer to it as norman soul....

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I wonder if the 'normans' are invited to his charity do? whistling.gif

This could be a bit of bad PR.

You wouldnt hear Lenny Henry slagging off the starving Africans in his Prada suit and big fat greedy missus, Dawn French. I heard he never shows photos of her when he is over there. I wonder why? whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

Confirms my opinion of the individual.

A tourist on the scene because the Funk scene is a virtual one (apart from the odd night).

What a tosser.

WOOF!

link

Wonder if his new name will be Tourettes ?

Social source share

Shane

link

Think it originated when someone simply referred to "Norman Soul" having misheard the accepted term. It stuck as some were able to see the funny side of it......never a bad thing whistling.gif

It now seems to be associated in particular with fans of the NS top 500 who wear the 70s style clothes, hence "NormanSoulTrousers" but I better shut up about that cos I got into trouble yesterday commenting on it whistling.gif

I think JOT will be able to confirm/add to/ correct this.

Incidentally Shane, why is it "obviously" derogatory?

Dave

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think James is a great bloke.

His enthusiasm is occasionally misconstrued, but he is coming into this scene via another dance related scene, and it is obvious he has the occasional teething trouble.

I have read this post in the link, a few times. What has he said??

Norman Soul?? Well thats hardly an insult.

He mocked our fascination with cover ups. Well havent we had quite a few threads on here where soul fans from way back mock that.

Mocked our general avoidance of CDs at venues. Well That is an opinion shared by many on here.

Said they know songs that we dont...I would be amazed if that wasnt true. Although vice versa might be said too.

I dont agree with all of James' opinions, but having met him lots of times, I found him to be knowledgable, enthusiastic, and a really good bloke...with a strange taste in shirts.

Social source share

My understanding is, a regular on here, possibly Johnny One Trout, had a neighbour stop him and say their young son or daughter was 'begining to listen to this Norman Soul stuff', following the KFC ads.

it became a bit of a laugh on here for a while to refer to it as norman soul....

link

Might easily be wrong but I thought it went back a bit further than that whistling.gif

Dave

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Think it originated when someone simply referred to "Norman Soul" having misheard the accepted term. It stuck as some were able to see the funny side of it......never a bad thing whistling.gif

It now seems to be associated in particular with fans of the NS top 500 who wear the 70s style clothes, hence "NormanSoulTrousers" but I better shut up about that cos I got into trouble yesterday commenting on it whistling.gif

Dave

link

Dave, I assumed it was derogatory with reference to the whole context of statement. I still don't think I assumed wrong as the guy is always having digs at the Northern scene.

Shane

Social source share

Dave, I assumed it was derogatory with reference to the whole context of statement. I still don't think I assumed wrong as the guy is always having digs at the Northern scene.

Shane

link

Shane,

I don't think the term in it's own right is meant to be derogatory.

As for "the guy" having digs at the Northern scene......well a lot make comments about it, including you and I, which do not always sit well with the old guard whistling.gif

Dave

Social source share

I've had a few run ins with him and I really like him actually, says what he means and doesn't back down, however, it's inevitable that someone will take matters in hand and eventually take matters a bit further, and I don't mean me! Because if you don't respect the history, you don't really understand the scene.

Social source share

Guest dodger

It now seems to be associated in particular with fans of the NS top 500 who wear the 70s style clothes, hence "NormanSoulTrousers" but I better shut up about that cos I got into trouble yesterday commenting on it :D

link

One Trout . . . whistling.gifwhistling.gif:D:lol::D:lol:

The term 'Norman Soultrousers' was coined as nothing more than a piss-take of people who still wear the high waisters and beer towels and badge-covered vests. at the age of 48+ and not as a general term of abuse towards everyone who likes northern soul. It only usually upsets people who don't have the ability to laugh at themselves.

Social source share

Shane

link

I think its an affectionate term, one I often use myself. I first heard it used on the modern list several years ago - its not anything to do specifically with the KFC thing, although I remember someone telling that story. Whilst there may well have been a mild element of pisstaking to view it as purely a derogaratory term shows a bit of a lack of a sense of humour. Surely we aren't as dour and serious and narrow minded as all that, are we ? (Are we ????? whistling.gifwhistling.gif )

As for James's comments - he has a different perspective of the Northern scene from the "old guard" but I don't doubt for one second that he loves the music.

So he said what he said in virtual print; there's a lot said behind a whispered hand or in an unguarded moment about individuals views. Are we a bunch of kids in the playground dwelling on "he said - she said" ?

I've seen many a post on this forum about bringing in youth and young blood - but is that only acceptable if they take it on board in your image ? Are they not allowed to have their own perspective even it it doesnt match up with your own thoughts ?

I just take on board that some of the younger crowd have a completely different point of reference to some of the older people, and choose to accept that for what it is.

Social source share

One Trout . . .  whistling.gif   :D   :D   :lol:   :D   :lol:

It only usually upsets people who don't have the ability to laugh at themselves.

link

Don't know if you are referring to Shane here Roger, but if so, your'e well wide of the mark with that comment mate.

whistling.gif

Steve

Social source share

One Trout . . .  whistling.gif   whistling.gif   :D   :D   :lol:   :D

The term 'Norman Soultrousers' was coined as nothing more than a piss-take of people who still wear the high waisters and beer towels and badge-covered vests. at the age of 48+ and not as a general term of abuse towards everyone who likes northern soul.  It only usually upsets people who don't have the ability to laugh at themselves.

link

You invented that didn't you? On KTF, a couple of years back. :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Oh behave yourselfs. Norman soul trousers is a silly term to describe people stuck in the past (nothing wring with that, it's jst not for me). I hardly think it is offensive, unless you are one of those folk who can't laugh at themselfs.

And if you are not a regular on the funk message board, you won't know the word c*** (or 'cant' as we say it in Essex) is used every other post by everyone. It's an in joke, so don't take it personal.

Social source share

You invented that didn't you?  On KTF, a couple of years back.  whistling.gif

link

There was a brilliant glossary of soul scene terminology that someone on the modern list did a few years ago - Roger, was it Paul S ?? You haven't still got that have you ? Funny as f*** - although it may be offensive to some. Publish and be damned - might put this all back into perspective whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No, no fighting. But a lot of women do find the C word very offensive.

link

There are no woman on the funk messageboard. There are 17 men (well 11 men, 4 students and 2 unemplyed people).

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Oh, and I don't mind an online scrap, so bring it on you normans! whistling.gif

link

My mate Mik does that very well I understand. Its not for me though as this is a social scene. I dont want to be out and about with the risk of some 'norman' banging me over the head with an ash tray. whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

link

I like that word; ever since I went to see the Vagina Monologues and we were encouraged to yell c*** at the top of our voices. I found it very liberating, but the bloke that was sat next to me looked a bit sheepish and kept his gob shut. I think his name was Norman actually whistling.gif

Social source share

I don't think you are gonna have to wait too long for that scrap young man..Next time i see you i will wrap my beer towel round you're Essex neck and stamp on you're fank tunes with mi monkey boots you big long jessie.. whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Is this gonna be the first time we have bouncers on the stage when you play the 100 club :D:D

Social source share

I like that word; ever since I went to see the Vagina Monologues and we were encouraged to yell c*** at the top of our voices. I found it very liberating, but the bloke that was sat next to me looked a bit sheepish and kept his gob shut. I think his name was Norman actually  whistling.gif

link

whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

Don't know if you are referring to Shane here Roger, but if so, your'e well wide of the mark with that comment mate.

whistling.gif

Steve

link

No way mate, I'm not aiming it at Shane or anyone, it's a total generalisation based on my experiences over the last 8 or 9 years. I don't come on these forums and have pops at anyone and if it was construed as that, then before people like Dave steam in and have another pop at me, then I'll apologise. I was only attempting to explain where the term originated and the reasoning behind it.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't think you are gonna have to wait too long for that scrap young man..Next time i see you i will wrap my beer towel round you're Essex neck and stamp on you're fank tunes with mi monkey boots you big long jessie.. whistling.gif   :D

Is this gonna be the first time we have bouncers on the stage when you play the 100 club :D   :lol:

link

I don't think that will be needed Stevie. The only people who don't like me are people who don't use their real names on internet message boards. And they don't usually go out at night, so I'm perfectly safe..... I think whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

There was a brilliant glossary of soul scene terminology that someone on the modern list did a few years ago - Roger, was it Paul S  ?? You haven't still got that have you ? Funny as f*** - although it may be offensive to some. Publish and be damned - might put this all back into perspective :D

link

It was something me and Sutty did between us and no I haven't unfortunately but I've still got the 'Spencer S. Soulbags' article but I'd be a dead man if I posted that on here!! whistling.gifwhistling.gif Sutty's 'Soul Sam Lords Prayer' was the best thing I've read. :D:lol::D

Social source share

Guest dodger

link

I said to my wife once 'show me your c*nt, so she gave me a mirror'. whistling.gif

Social source share

It was something me and Sutty did between us and no I haven't unfortunately but I've still got the 'Spencer S. Soulbags' article but I'd be a dead man if I posted that on here!!  whistling.gif   :D   Sutty's 'Soul Sam Lords Prayer' was the best thing I've read.  :D   :lol:   :D

link

What a shame - it was one of the wittiest things I've ever seen on the soul lists, someone must have it saved.

I think it would be an excellent way to massage a few funny bones whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think if you read what I have written you will find that I am saying that the northern soul scene (not the European soul scene) is driven by clubs and playlists by top DJs in soul magazines. The 'funk scene' is driven by online radio shows and online dicussions with liberal use of the word cant. This means that the english soul scene will not know about records that are popular online with funk collectors because they have yet to be played in the clubs, which the funk scene has very few of. And also people seem to get very excited about cover ups, which have never been used on the 'funk scene' and which most people on the 'funk scene' find a little bizzar. I hardly think I am wrong with any of those comments.

I'd be interested to know who those chaps who started this thread are though. An interesting attempt to assinate my character by two people who have never met me and who hide behind online balaclavas. whistling.gif

Social source share

No way mate, I'm not aiming it at Shane or anyone, it's a total generalisation based on my experiences over the last 8 or 9 years.  I don't come on these forums and have pops at anyone and if it was construed as that, then before people like Dave steam in and have another pop at me, then I'll apologise.  I was only attempting to explain where the term originated and the reasoning behind it.

link

:D

I don't think that people are objecting to being called 'normans', although the thread has gone down that route for some reason.

The comments on the other forum appear, on the surface and ONLY in the context of the few posts seen, to be derogatory. To be fair, they are not that much different to the comments James has made on Soul Source. I'm not keen on funk, but as I know nothing about it, I keep my mouth shut.

IMO, the most interesting point in the funk forum thread, is that James does not appear to be held in the high esteem (certainly by Mik) as he maybe would have us believe. (I don't know Mik either, even though he is from Sheffield).

Covering known records ? A disgrace whistling.gif What would Soul Sam say ? :D

No doubt see you at Soulsville James whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

My mate Mik does that very well I understand. Its not for me though as this is a social scene. I dont want to be out and about with the risk of some 'norman' banging me over the head with an ash tray.  whistling.gif

Shane

link

He's certainly one of the heavy weight online fighters. And as you say, the funk scene is hardly a social scene. It is an online fight club.

I'm glad you think you're such a social animal shane, not sure where your ash trays over heads fits into your own perception of yourself though. whistling.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

He's certainly one of the heavy weight online fighters. And as you say, the funk scene is hardly a social scene. It is an online fight club.

I'm glad you think you're such a social animal shane, not sure where your ash trays over heads fits into your own perception of yourself though. whistling.gif

link

the 'ash tray' comment was in reference to my worries of being hit over the head by a 'norman'. Hence my refusal to fight online. Anyway I fight enough at work and with my family. I come on here for fun.

Mik is not to run away in real life either. He has seen his fair share as you may know.

Shane

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Personally, I'm not bothered by the swipes at me, but on the guidelines of this message board it states "through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing... profane, ... threatening..."

Perhaps to stop this forum going down the line the 17 people on the funk board go this thread should be removed and the people who started it be given a warning? whistling.gif

Personally I'm not bothered though. whistling.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

the 'ash tray' comment was in reference to my worries of being hit over the head by a 'norman'. Hence my refusal to fight online. Anyway I fight enough at work and with my family. I come on here for fun.

Mik is not to run away in real life either. He has seen his fair share as you may know.

Shane

link

You're a lover not a fighter aren't you Shane.... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Shane

link

Fair enough. Although I'm pretty good friends with alot of the normans from oop norf, so I don't think I'm likely to be in any danger because I don't think they know records that are popular on online radio stations. whistling.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Shane

link

Shaney it's derived from the Modern English term Norman Soultrouser (or you could use the feminine term Norma Soulskirt) it is an affectionate term used to describe things on the Northern (or Norman) side of the tracks whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

link

Nowt to do with me although i gladly jumped on the bandwaggon whistling.gif:D I suspect that the accompanying story has reached urban myth proportions by the look of it i seem to remember a consumate piss taker coining the phrase a couple of years back whistling.gif during the peak of the baggy trouser boom :D

Social source share

So funny though, if anyone wanted to assassinate James on here they only have to ask for material to use against him, I got loads for the right price whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!