Joe Jama

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

Found this information on Joe Jama, maybe of interest to someone, seeings as he has one of the BIG sounds of the moment.

JOE JAMA born June 12, 1949, This singer with a vocal range many peers envy was born Joe Perales in San Antonio. He was raised on Black music and he started singing along with the radio and records at age 5.

"As for my name. When I got in with the Royal Jesters, I was 16 and I was all verde (green) when I did my first gig. It was in Corpus (Christi) and since it was out-of-town, we had to spend the night in a motel.

"In the motel room, everyone was running around naked and when I came out of the bathroom in pajamas, they took one look at me, started laughing and calling me Joe Pajamas," Jama revealed.

"Later they shortened it to Joe Jamming, Joe Jamas, until it would up Joe Jama; and that nickname stuck. In fact Oscar Lawson even registered the name at the court house."

"What got me interested in music? The Beatles! What can I say. Elvis Presley was another of my idols," Jama said. "I learned all their songs then I taught myself to play my cousin's guitar."

The first tune he learned was "Honky Tonk." Today people say he sounds like a black singer in a Chicano body. Jama can go pretty low and he can go pretty high. As a result, he is best known as a soul singer who sings from the heart.

It's not really true Jama didn't record from 1976 to 1996 because if you've seen the Taco Cabana television commercial featuring "Gotta Lotta Enchilada," that's Joe's vocals making your mother water for an enchilada. Another popular television commercial on which you can hear Jama's voice is on a car dealership's commercial where Jama says, "Here in S.A. it's Team Chevrolet." Jama has also done Bud Lite and numerous other commercials

Joe Jama

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rachel

Read it about 5 months ago and have been in touch with Joe and his agent since then. Managed to get hold of a one-off acetate of a later cut of "My life" :lol:

link

Is that the 'moderny' sounding version...? Recorded late 90s/ early 2000s?

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Read it about 5 months ago and have been in touch with Joe and his agent since then. Managed to get hold of a one-off acetate of a later cut of "My life" :lol:

link

Didn't he have copies of the 60's 45??????????????

Social source share

Guest rachel

Remember looking at Joe's website a while back but can't find it now.. however, this is the version of 'My Life' from the CD...

Social source share

I'm not sure which I like best. I keep playing them 1 after the other but can't decide.... His voice certainly sounds better on the later cut, and the production is much clearer, but I think the 60s release is more earthy and soulful. Everyone I've played later one to (including Chalky) said they preffered the other one, so I suppose it must be the best! :shhh:

I'll post a scan of the acetate up when I can get my scanner to work. Give me 5 mins....

Billy :ohmy:

P.S. If anyone should come accross a full length clip of the '01 release please don't post it up cos it'll be on a dubplate before ya know it whistling.gif I'll post a longer clip of it up but sorry, not full-length wink.gif

Social source share

Guest rachel

P.S. If anyone should come accross a full length clip of the '01 release please don't post it up cos it'll be on a dubplate before ya know it whistling.gif I'll post a longer clip of it up but sorry, not full-length :ohmy:

link

Fair enough Billy, I won't (tis on CD though...). I prefer the 60s version too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!