Guest andyrattigan

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Andy Kempster

:unsure: ,"Under the street lamp"one of my fave tracks,Len Jewell magic.Also on yellow Gemini.

whats the difference between the yellow and green....apart from the colour!

Social source share

Nothing Andy, just that one is viewed as slightly rarer than the other - I think :D

IMHO (for what it's worth) i reckon the green ones are the first pressings cos all the other Gemini releases are green too (I think?). I reckon they had a bit of a local hit with it so had to press some more at the time and pressed them in yellow. Both are viewed as originals of course! This could be complete bo**ocks though and am quite prepared to be shot down on this one, but it makes sense to me smile.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Streetlamp was more than just a local hit: it got into the R&B Hot Hundred and must have sold many tens of thousands of copies in many locales throughout the US. There are at least two green issues, with the one with the credits in a more compressed typeface being far less plentiful. I think it's debatable whether that particular green issue is worth any more money than the more common green issues, or where it comes in the chronological sequence of pressings of the release.

UTSL is a really special record and one which blows many of the ultra-rarities away in terms of power and quality. Out of all soul records I've played to 'non-soul' friends over the years this always gets by far the best reaction.

Social source share

IMHO (for what it's worth) i reckon the green ones are the first pressings cos all the other Gemini releases are green too (I think?). I reckon they had a bit of a local hit with it so had to press some more at the time and pressed them in yellow. Both are viewed as originals of course! This could be complete bo**ocks though and am quite prepared to be shot down on this one, but it makes sense to me :D

Cheers

Steve

I reckon both the first press and simply ran out of green ink. Of course I could be wrong smile.gif Seem to see more yellow these days.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I reckon both the first press and simply ran out of green ink. Of course I could be wrong :) Seem to see more yellow these days.

cheers chaps, at least it doesnt need to be consigned to the bootleg box yet then

i've only ever seen the yellow ones

would not want to be reported on the thread for bootleg spinners now would i... :Dlaugh.gif

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Streetlamp was more than just a local hit: it got into the R&B Hot Hundred and must have sold many tens of thousands of copies in many locales throughout the US. There are at least two green issues, with the one with the credits in a more compressed typeface being far less plentiful. I think it's debatable whether that particular green issue is worth any more money than the more common green issues, or where it comes in the chronological sequence of pressings of the release.

UTSL is a really special record and one which blows many of the ultra-rarities away in terms of power and quality. Out of all soul records I've played to 'non-soul' friends over the years this always gets by far the best reaction.

One of the later (but still 60s US) pressings of under the streetlamp has a mention of the new pittsburgh ownership of gemini (which happened near the end of the label's existence), I saw that variation only once.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Also checkout Joe Bataan's version of UTSL Released on Fania 45 and more soul hits on a Vampi Soul Lp wich is worth Buyin too..Graham.

Social source share

One of the later (but still 60s US) pressings of under the streetlamp has a mention of the new pittsburgh ownership of gemini (which happened near the end of the label's existence), I saw that variation only once.

Yes Bob, that's the one I mentioned above with the more condensed typeface and the Gateway, Pittsburgh distribution credit. I would guess this is far harder to find than the Taurus distributed west coast copies - by how much I can only guess.

As stated above this record sold in relatively huge quantities (for an indie soul release) and the switch from green to yellow labels during the pressing run can most likely be explained by the pressing plant simply running out of green label 'blanks'. I imagine the yellow label copies were manufactured within days or weeks of the greens rather than at anything like enough distance to be considered a re-issue.

Social source share

Also checkout Joe Bataan's version of UTSL Released on Fania 45 and more soul hits on a Vampi Soul Lp wich is worth Buyin too..Graham.

or james conwell version of gotta have money on his guiness lp-brilliant

Edited by taffy
Social source share

i bought about 15 mint copies (green labels) from a dealer in the US about 4 years ago. Sold them all within about 6 weeks for 50 quid on average.

two great sides

shane

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Bought mine at a week-ender about 4 yrs ago for £40 , it's on the Yellow Gemini Label, which i was told was the earlier run??? Not bothered like, just saying!!!

i.m.h.o. "Money" is the best of the two sides. :D

cheers,

john mc. :thumbsup:

Ive got to go with "Money" myself.

"Sundown in Watts" is another gem from them, only heard it for the first time at the 100 club in December. Blew me away. Got it on a cd ( Shriek! gasps of horror :P:thumbup: ) for listening at home.

It's a bit pricey is it not compared to "money"? 100 ish would I be right?

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

You would be fortunate to get a Kapp copy of Another Sundown In Watts for 100 quid: the recent price is more like three times that amount. Another good record, but nowhere near as good as Streetlamp in my opinion. But then I've always been slightly bemused by the reaction which You Got To Have Money gets. A good, albeit generic group dance record, where UTSL really is a complete masterpiece in all departments: the lead vocal, the harmonies, the production and the spine-tingling lyrics.

Social source share

Ive got to go with "Money" myself.

"Sundown in Watts" is another gem from them, only heard it for the first time at the 100 club in December. Blew me away. Got it on a cd ( Shriek! gasps of horror :wub::lol: ) for listening at home.

It's a bit pricey is it not compared to "money"? 100 ish would I be right?

Hi Andy, ASIW also on the Guiness Lp in stereo as well, the Lp came out twice and the reissue is worth getting for sonud quality is great.

Social source share

You would be fortunate to get a Kapp copy of Another Sundown In Watts for 100 quid: the recent price is more like three times that amount. Another good record, but nowhere near as good as Streetlamp in my opinion. But then I've always been slightly bemused by the reaction which You Got To Have Money gets. A good, albeit generic group dance record, where UTSL really is a complete masterpiece in all departments: the lead vocal, the harmonies, the production and spine tingling lyrics.

Then you gotta listen to t'other side of ' Another Sundown......' 'I'm So Glad' and hear Jimmy as he pours out his love for his girl....a brilliant side I think

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!