Edinburgh Soul Scene What A Joke,

WENT TO THE SPIDERS WEB A FEW WEEKS BACK AND, WELL FOR STARTERS ITS A DUMP, THEN THERE IS THE DJS, IS THIS A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE OR DJs WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PLAYING IN SOME CLUB SOMEWHERE, BUT CANT MIX RECORDS, ONE MINUTE ITS A NORTHERN SOUL STOMPER THEN ITS A GARAGE TUNE, whistling.gif ,

THEN I LOOKED TO SEE WHAT ELSE WAS ON IN THERE WEB SITE AND LOOKED AT THE DJ PLAYLIST AND THERE IT IS SIDNEY JOE QUALLS ON EXPANSION ON A DJ PLAY LIST, ITS NOT THAT THE LP IS SO RARE YOU COULD FIND A COPY IF YOU TRYED,

THERE IS SO MANY GOOD COLLECTORS IN SCOTLAND,

BUT IT IS THE SAME DJs THAT PLAY ALL THE TIME,

[removed]

I QUITE BELEIVE THIS IT WAS NOT SO LONG A GO THAT THERE DJs WHERE NOT ALLOWED TO DJ FOR ANYONE ELSE, THEN A VENUE THAT FINISHED AT 3AM THEN CHANGED TO 1AM BUT THE PRICE STAYED THE SAME,

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

WENT TO THE SPIDERS WEB A FEW WEEKS BACK AND, WELL FOR STARTERS ITS A DUMP, THEN THERE IS THE DJS, IS THIS A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE OR DJs WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PLAYING IN SOME CLUB SOMEWHERE, BUT CANT MIX RECORDS, ONE MINUTE ITS A NORTHERN SOUL STOMPER THEN ITS A GARAGE TUNE,  whistling.gif ,

THEN I LOOKED TO SEE WHAT ELSE WAS ON IN THERE WEB SITE AND LOOKED AT THE DJ PLAYLIST AND THERE IT IS SIDNEY JOE QUALLS ON EXPANSION ON A DJ PLAY LIST, ITS NOT THAT THE LP IS SO RARE YOU COULD FIND A COPY IF YOU TRYED,

[removed]

I QUITE BELEIVE THIS IT WAS NOT SO LONG A GO THAT THERE DJs WHERE NOT ALLOWED TO DJ FOR ANYONE ELSE, THEN A VENUE THAT FINISHED AT 3AM THEN CHANGED TO 1AM BUT THE PRICE STAYED THE SAME,

link

are we getting your name "old scottish soulboy" ..... ??? or you gonna hide

by the way i was at the web as well

Davie Hudson

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

you can admit it's you derek .....the fact you mentioned sidney joe qualls AGAIN kind of gives the game away...

Davie

Social source share

you can admit it's you derek .....the fact you mentioned sidney joe qualls AGAIN kind of gives the game away...

Davie

link

BY DEREK I TAKE IT YOU MEAN DEREK ROBERTSON

WELL I COULD TELL A FEW STORIES ABOUT HIM ALSO, LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO GINGER, AT NEW YEAR, AND NOW HE HAS SUDDENLY CANCELED ALL THE MARCOS GIGS, AND SOLD HIS RECORD AGAIN,

Edited by OLD SCOTTISH SOULIE
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

BY DEREK I TAKE IT YOU MEAN DEREK ROBERTSON

WELL  I COULD TELL A FEW STORIES ABOUT HIM ALSO, LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO GINGER, AT NEW YEAR, AND NOW HE HAS SUDDENLY CANCELED ALL THE MARCOS GIGS,

link

if i'm being really honest and sticking to the guideline of not swearing ......i don't care really .... re-log in under your own name and i will shoot the breeze with you happily ....

were about in the web were you ? i was standing at the bar

Davie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I WAS AT THE BAR, AND WAS SITTING , WITH CANT MIND HER NAME FROM LASSWADE, SHE LIKES MODERN SOUL,  I AINT GOING TO GIVE OUT MY ID COS , LETS JUST SAY I SEEN WHAT HAPPENED TO YOGI HAUGHTON AT THE WEEKENDER, HE TOLD ME, AFTER LEAVING US ON THE SAT THAT SHAZ JUMPED HIM BECAUSE HE BROKE A NEEDLE AT CAFE ROYAL WHILST DJn SOME TIME,

link

you must have seen me then ...i was at the bar all night

Davie

Social source share

you must have seen me then ...i was at the bar all night

Davie

link

DAVIE smile.gif wasnt looking for you,

WAS A WEE BIT GASED WAS HAD BEEN AT THE FOOTBALL, THE GUY ABOUT THE GROOVE HEY DJ YES BUT BUY THE REAL RECORD, BUT THE ISSUE FOR PERSONEL USE,

Social source share

THEN THERE IS THE DJS, IS THIS A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE OR DJs WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PLAYING IN SOME CLUB SOMEWHERE, BUT CANT MIX RECORDS,

link

hold on a minute duck, i was on at that one, you,ll remember me , empty dancefloor in front of me.

Social source share

DAVIE  smile.gif wasnt looking for you,

WAS A WEE BIT GASED WAS HAD BEEN AT THE FOOTBALL, THE GUY ABOUT THE GROOVE HEY DJ YES BUT BUY THE REAL RECORD, BUT THE ISSUE FOR PERSONEL USE,

link

Well you won't be coming back to the Web then?, good so we won't have to read your bullshit on these pages again will we?

Social source share

Guest hammy

hold on a minute duck, i was on at that one, you,ll remember me , empty dancefloor in front of me.

link

Shame I missed it Mr Harkins - family illness and all.

I would have danced - might even have waved my arms as well and done a bit of gurning ! smile.gif

Hammy

Social source share

but not this weekend , the southern modernist orange order will be in top form smile.gif

link

well said young keith, bit less of orange order p**h, youll be able to ask mr. law about the jun.parker c/u.

Social source share

but not this weekend , the southern modernist orange order will be in top form smile.gif

link

well said young keith, bit less of orange order p**h, youll be able to ask mr. law about the jun.parker c/u.

Social source share

link

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

link

if it's any help lenny i was tapping me feet a lot ....i usually dance to your sets as well .....loved the flirtations ..not heard it in ages

Davie

Social source share

WENT TO THE SPIDERS WEB A FEW WEEKS BACK AND, WELL FOR STARTERS ITS A DUMP, THEN THERE IS THE DJS, IS THIS A NORTHERN SOUL VENUE OR DJs WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PLAYING IN SOME CLUB SOMEWHERE, BUT CANT MIX RECORDS, ONE MINUTE ITS A NORTHERN SOUL STOMPER THEN ITS A GARAGE TUNE,  :thumbsup: ,

[removed]

link

Social source share

where are the nights/nighters to go in Scotland that are a bit progressive in their playlists,ages since I have been up there,

not interested in the politics so a sensible reply please,dont want to go up and be disappointed.

is there any websites to watch like SS ?

Edited by headsy
Social source share

Guest hammy

where are the nights/nighters to go in Scotland that are a bit progressive in their playlists,ages since I have been up there,

not interested in the politics so a sensible reply please,dont want to go up and be disappointed.

is there any websites to watch like SS ?

link

Can only talk for the night (Souler Power) I ran with Ali Duff for a couple of years at the taxi club - guests included Alan Pollard, Des Parker, Martyn Bradley, Guy Hennigan, Kitch, Dean Anderson, Eddie Engel, Colini Wood, Robbo, Karl Rhodes, Liz Foster, Carl Willingham, Keith Money, Kenny Burrell, Andy Dyson, Mick H etc etc. We've now switched to doing 2/3 alldayers a years with another later in the year (early summer date to be confirmed)

Go to https://www.soulscotland.co.uk for details on other nights. Gennas, Calidonia Soul, Spiders Web etc - all great soul events IMHO.

Hammy

Social source share

To "Old Scottish Soulie".

It's good to see that the "Scottish Scene" is still making people think, though how you managed it I'm not to sure !, I take it the night in question was the "Modern Night", and you heard garage music played !, you mention a record on a list and as I run the club and the web site the lists that are on at the moment are for the dates since February with no sign of a Sidney Joe Qualls, so then it must have been our "Modern Night" which we had in January.

As for good collectors in Scotland, yes no problems with that, most of them have been asked to Dj, some of them won't Dj, others cannot make it or say no when asked and believe me I ask a lot of people.

As for the "it's a dump" part, well yes ok in this day and age of trendy bars it has maybe been left behind by a long way but then we are in our 10th year and still going so if it was that bad why do people carry on coming back, have a look at the Guestbook on the web site.

The Web has never stopped Dj's working at other clubs, get your facts right !

3am finish we have never had, get your facts right !

1am finish, yes because of a Soul Fan who got out of order and has spoiled things for the rest of us and admission has been £3 since 1996, get your facts right !

If you have any further problems then please E-Mail me from the web site,

George Wallace

wanker.gif

Edited by scotsoul50
Social source share

The Spiders Web soul events have been going strong since 1996 and continue to do so, the venue itself is a cellar bar with low ceilings, caverns and cheap ale, a crowd of around 50 generates a brilliant atmosphere and there have been nights when the place has had 100+ jammed in, the promoters, past & present have all ran the club not for financial gain but purely as soul fans, which is why the club is still going strong, George Wallace has to be one of the most stand-up guys on the Scottish Soul Scene and full praise to him for taking the reigns and keeping it going and now has provided an excellent website, soul fans from all over the world have attended and had nothing but praise for the nights. The music policy is open-minded and to suit all tastes and if you (like myself) don't care too much for modern you can leave the dj/dance area and have a chat with the soul gang dotted around the record bar area. Friendly, atmospheric and still going strong.

SOUL VIEW

Social source share

The Spiders Web soul events have been going strong since 1996 and continue to do so, the venue itself is a cellar bar with low ceilings, caverns and cheap ale, a crowd of around 50 generates a brilliant atmosphere and there have been nights when the place has had 100+ jammed in, the promoters, past & present have all ran the club not for financial gain but purely as soul fans, which is why the club is still going strong, George Wallace has to be one of the most stand-up guys on the Scottish Soul Scene and full praise to him for taking the reigns and keeping it going and now has provided an excellent website, soul fans from all over the world have attended and had nothing but praise for the nights.  The music policy is open-minded and to suit all tastes and if you (like myself) don't care too much for modern you can leave the dj/dance area and have a chat with the soul gang dotted around the record bar area.  Friendly, atmospheric and still going strong.

SOUL VIEW

link

Dave,

Can you give me a link to the website please?

Derek

Social source share

Hello Headsy and Black & White,

Hope you managed to get onto the web site and have a look, it costs nothing hence the aol banner but it gets the club message over of whats on, whats happening ect, check out the dates for 2005 for who is on when.

Any questions please get in touch, my E-Mail is on the profile,

Regards

George Wallace :thumbsup:

The Spiders Web, Edinburgh.

Social source share

The Spiders Web soul events have been going strong since 1996 and continue to do so, the venue itself is a cellar bar with low ceilings, caverns and cheap ale, a crowd of around 50 generates a brilliant atmosphere and there have been nights when the place has had 100+ jammed in, the promoters, past & present have all ran the club not for financial gain but purely as soul fans, which is why the club is still going strong, George Wallace has to be one of the most stand-up guys on the Scottish Soul Scene and full praise to him for taking the reigns and keeping it going and now has provided an excellent website, soul fans from all over the world have attended and had nothing but praise for the nights.  The music policy is open-minded and to suit all tastes and if you (like myself) don't care too much for modern you can leave the dj/dance area and have a chat with the soul gang dotted around the record bar area.  Friendly, atmospheric and still going strong.

SOUL VIEW

link

SPOT ON DIV, NICE ONE MATE, HAS THIS DICK IDENTIFIED HIMSELF YET?

Social source share

Hello Headsy and Black & White,

Hope you managed to get onto the web site and have a look, it costs nothing hence the aol banner but it gets the club message over of whats on, whats happening ect, check out the dates for 2005 for who is on when.

Any questions please get in touch, my E-Mail is on the profile,

Regards

George Wallace        whistling.gif

The Spiders Web, Edinburgh.

link

Hi George

Derek Jack here (BLACKWHITE) haven't seen you in ages Winsford wasn't it? Hoping to get up to Fife in the summer will try and make it over.

Derek

Social source share

Have been reading your thread on & off for a couple of days.

There's a faiir bit of animosity.

Is this a general thing north of the border?....or is this thread totally unrepresentative?

Now I know you guys are gonna assume i'm some smart ass southerner on a wind up.

BUT, the scene in my neck of the woods is really quite small. Generally every body makes an effort to get on.

I'm Surrey/Hampshire way.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Have been reading your thread on & off for a couple of days.

There's a faiir bit of animosity.

Is this a general thing north of the border?....or is this thread totally unrepresentative?

Now I know you guys are gonna assume i'm some smart ass southerner on a wind up.

BUT, the scene in my neck of the woods is really quite small. Generally every body makes an effort to get on.

I'm Surrey/Hampshire way.

link

soulsmith ......as a scottish type person i think i can safely say .....you'll never get an honest answer to that ..

some get one ...some don't .....pretty much same as anywhere

Davie

Social source share

Davie

link

DAVE

I am sorry about this one but you got the wrong person, first it was myself that started the spiders web along with kenny burrell, and secondly i enjoyed djn there and was always at George for a djN spot, I have not been to any venue for at least 3 months,

As for records original, pressings or labels i could not care if they are played from personel stereo,

And as for mr old soulie,

I am not running anything again because its small minded people like you who moan and never run anything, but are always first to complain or bitch,

And i am presently renovating 3 flats that i bought last year, hence the reason for selling my records,

SO YOU CAN LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR THE TOPIC STARTER,

AND AS FOR YOU PETE S YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ME SO WIND YOUR NECK IN, YOU`VE JUST GOT THE HUMP COS I WOULDNT SELL MY RECORDS TO YOU AND MICK SMITH, AT A 3RD OF THERE VALUE

Social source share

link

If i had known you were djn i would have came through lenny , enjoyed you spot at caladonian night, but i was driving that night ,but could have got pissed this time,

Social source share

BUT I WILL ADD THIS TO THIS TOPIC,

5 GUYS WHO DONT DJ ENOUGH IN SCOTLAND AND SHOULD BECAUSE THEY KNOW THERE STUFF AND HAVE THE TUNES,

LENNY HARKINS (IF YOU KEEP HIM SOBER)

MARK WILSON,

KENNY BURRELL, ( TO MUCH BITCHING TOWARDS HIM,)

ANDY DENNISION,

KEITH MONEY,

JOHN MACGLAUGHLIN,

RIGHT AM OF TO THE BUILDERS MERCHANTS, AND LEAVE ME OUT OF YOUR WITCH HUNTS, :)

Social source share

Guest hammy

Alright Derek

I knew a guy bought three flats in Perth, a bottle of Irn Bru, packet of Wagon Wheels and some gaffer tape and still had change oot a fiver ! :)

Hammy

Social source share

Alright Derek

I knew a guy bought three flats in Perth, a bottle of Irn Bru, packet of Wagon Wheels and some gaffer tape and still had change oot a fiver !  :)

Hammy

link

dont like iron brew, diet coke, not wagon wheels, kit kats, and its plasterers skrim, and the skrims a fiver a roll , anyway hammy if your putting anything else on av still got a email address site also book of names if you want it let me know ,

AND A GOOD VENUE I WAS GOING TO USE FOR AN ALLNIGHTER,

SEND ME A PM, AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW,

DEREK wicked.gif

Social source share

Shame I missed it Mr Harkins - family illness and all.

I would have danced - might even have waved my arms as well and done a bit of gurning !  whistling.gif

Hammy

link

are you still in the bogs at sheridans?

Social source share

DAVE

I am not running anything again because its small minded people like you who moan and never run anything, but are always first to complain or bitch,

AINT I CAUSED A STIR,

I EVEN GOT A TELLING OFF,

BUT I WHAT I SAID WERE NOT RUMOURS, MY NAME IS SCOT, AND AM FROM EDINBURGH AM 43 AND WENT THROUGH WIGAN AND MARRIOT HALLS AND FAULDHOUSE AND LEITH TOWN HALL ,ABERDEEN MUSIC HALL, PORTOBELO TOWN HALL, AND BATHGATE STIRLING TOWN HALL AND THE VENUE IN FALKIRK THE MANIQUE, ME THINKS, OK AV NAMED MEESELF,

BUT THERE IS SUCH A THING AS FREEDOM OF SPEECH,

JUST I`VE LOVED NORTHERN FROM WAY BACK AND THEN MOVED INTO CROSSOVER, ANYWAY DONE THE MARRIED THING, BUT SINGLE NOW,

BUT ALL YOU HEAR UP HERE IS BITCH THIS BITCH THAT,AND HE DONE THIS AND WELL IT IS NOT LIKE IT USED TO BE,

BUT AFTER GOING TO NIGHT DOWN SOUTH OVER THE LAST 6 MONTHS, THE SOUND IS NOT THE SAME , IN SCOTLAND ITS STILL 100 MILE AN HOUR STOMPERS, AND PROMOTERS THAT HAVE FRIENDS DJn INSTEAD OF WHAT TUNES THEY HAVE ,

Social source share

Guest rachel

IF HE WENT TO ROYAL HIGH THEN YES,

link

Somewhere where everyone was taught to end their sentences with commas anyway.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!