• Replies 105
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How big is the N/Soul scene?

Assuming for now that we just count UK residents & work on the assumption that to be in it you've got to attend 1 N/Soul venue a month.

I was quoted a figure of 10,000. But I reckon thats a bit low.

Any answers?

link

i woldnt have a clue im useless with numbers of people no wait im just useless smile.gif

Social source share

Well if it is 10,000 a third of everybody on the scene went to Prestatyn.

Thats fairly impressive.

Good news for you Baz, they would have all fitted on your monitor.

Although Alison clearly has the larger monitor, she has rather cancelled herself out with her decision not to go.

Hah!

Social source share

I wonder what ans I'd have got if the thread had been titled -

'how heavy is the northern scene?'

I'm also convinced there's an element of the scene that I've completely missed

"Depends how much you have paid for the black plastic thingies"

Less all-niters & more weekenders?

Social source share

I agree, less soul nights and more allnighters and weekenders.

I very rarely go to soul nights, you just begin to get in the swing of things and the night has ended :thumbsup:

Social source share

100 % karen and before i cause a riot i am not refering to the established well run nites of which most are excellent.How ever genuinely feel to many soul nites dilutes the scene,just not enough punters to go round,and rather than give healthy competition will cause a lot of damage.No need to burst a blod vessel just mho.

Social source share

Hope you dont mean that soulsmith,more like less soulnites .All niters always been the life blood of the scene,and what seperates our scene from the rest.Just a personal opinion what do you think ?.

link

Agree with you Andy. Less weekenders too, getting too common now IMO.

Social source share

I agree, less soul nights and more allnighters and weekenders.

I very rarely go to soul nights, you just begin to get in the swing of things and the night has ended  :thumbsup:

link

Nighters have the advantage cos when you come out as if by magic public transport is up and running again, no arguing over who's driving and expensive taxis and B&B!!!!!

Social source share

Hope you dont mean that soulsmith,more like less soulnites .All niters always been the life blood of the scene,and what seperates our scene from the rest.Just a personal opinion what do you think ?.

link

What do I think? I think I'm going soft. Its taken me 2 weeks to recover from the viruses that I picked up at Prestatyn. No matter what I think northern souls is in the blood now.

Even if I wanted to give it up I couldn't. I'm addicted to the music & the people.

PS still looking fwd to getting up to your do later in the year! I'll give you a bit of notice to prepare a nice welcome........get Bicknell to put the kettle on.

Col.

Social source share

Yes too many soul nights,far far too many..But there are many handbaggers who don't go near all niters..The once a month brigade...But each to there own...

Same with weekenders..if people don't want them then they would fold,but enough people do it seems..

I aint the soul police..I come and go where i please as do others..I think a lot of so called big events are shite but many like them..Live and let live...

I do think that soul-source attracts a certain type of punter though..I think most are wanting something a bit different and not the handbag revival crowd and over played/done to death top 500..

Any other views on this...

Social source share

Yes too many soul nights,far far too many..But there are many handbaggers who don't go near all niters..The once  a month brigade...But each to there own...

Same with weekenders..if people don't want them then they would fold,but enough people do it seems..

I aint the soul police..I come and go where i please as do others..I think a lot of so called big events are shite but many like them..Live and let live...

I do think that soul-source attracts a certain type of punter though..I think most are wanting something a bit different and not the handbag revival crowd and over played/done to death top 500..

link

Yes plenty.

Where do I start on this one.

First of all Sir may I thank you for re-raising this thread as I have been waiting for someone to, so that I can put pen to paper, on a more serious note than the flippant sometimes cutting (but only meant in jest) remarks I some times make.

I have been made welcome by the vast majority of people on this site (JT, Ken, BigO, Janine, Karneb etc etc.........u know who u are..),- and to you people I say thank you and apologise in advance for what is to come!!!!

First I do agree with about 21 words of your posting

I do think that soul-source attracts a certain type of punter though..I think most are wanting something a bit different.

But that's about as far as it goes

Handbaggers - now there's a term, do I qualify, usually only attend about once a month but would go to an all nighter ?.

not the handbag revival crowd and over played/done to death top 500..

Lets take this in two parts

1. the handbag revival crowd (is this me)

If I am not mistaken, and do please correct me if I'm wrong your definition of these people would be - someone who has been out of the scene for a long time and perhaps just wants to hear the same tunes they were dancing to 20-30 years ago

Not someone who wants some good music once in a while or come back full onto the scene - or may be not, as the second part of your statement refers to

2. overplayed/done to death top 500

I don't know how old you are or how long you have been on the NS scene and frankly - "I don't give a damn", but let me into how it feels to be one of the revival crowd (or returnee as I prefer to refer to us).

We've done our bit marrying the wrong men/women, bringing up kids, putting our careers first, all this rightly or wrongly, but for whatever reasons did not stay on the NS scene.

We come back to a scene that unfortunately has people in it like yourself (and your not the first person on this forum to make similar comments) bigoted superior minded and basically up your own a*se.

That over played top 500 you talk about - do you think us returnees want just to listen to what we were listening to at wigan in 73-74, no we also want to hear new discoveries but it does take time to catch up for 20 lost years, and some of this top 500 are like a comfort blanket to us until we catch up with the NOW!

Other threads have dealt with the concerns over the NS scene dying off well it's hardly going to survive if people like you don't make people like me welcome. I have always thought the more the merrier - obviously not in your opinion as were not good enough for the likes of you.

It is not only on this forum I have experienced this kind of superiority, was told not long ago, by a certain collector that I wouldn't enjoy a local event because they wouldn't be playing anything I knew - oh sorry am I only allowed to listen to what I listened to 30 years ago.

I'll sum up how the scene could come across to some people, people maybe visiting the SS for the first time

DJ's playing to DJs,

"I'll show you yours if you show me mine" syndrome

Bickering across the genres

And that returnees are second class citizens.

well maybe if it hadn't been for some of us and some of that over played 500 you talk about in the early 70s there wouldn't be a scene now.

PS the QOF signature is a piss take on myself and to all the mistakes I've made in my life over the past 47 year - If you can't take the p*ss out of yourself then don't do it to others.

Social source share

PS the QOF signature is a piss take on myself and to all the mistakes I've made in my life over the past 47 year - If you can't take the p*ss out of yourself then don't do it to others.

link

my ones are coz I wish I looked like them!! :D but I cant agree more about all mistakes, etc (mine bit less than 47 years!) but wot a quote, take the p*ss out of yourself then don't do it to others - agree biggrin.gif

Social source share

I'll sum up how the scene could come across to some people, people maybe visiting the SS for the first time

DJ's playing to DJs,

well maybe if it hadn't been for some of us and some of that over played 500 you talk about in the early 70s there wouldn't be a scene now.

Well said, I agree totally. How long is it before the returnees disappear for ever due to the above!!!!!

Edited by Willow
Social source share

Guest the dukester

Yes plenty.

First of all Sir may I thank you for re-raising this thread as I have been waiting for someone to, so that I can put pen to paper, on a more serious note than the flippant sometimes cutting (but only meant in jest) remarks I some times make.

I have been made welcome by the vast majority of people on this site (JT, Ken, BigO, Janine, Karneb etc etc.........u know who u are..),- and to you people I say thank you and apologise in advance for what is to come!!!!

I do think that soul-source attracts a certain type of punter though..I think most are wanting something a bit different.

Handbaggers - now there's a term, do I qualify, usually only attend about once a month but would go to an all nighter ?.

1. the handbag revival crowd  (is this me)

If I am not mistaken, and do please correct me if I'm wrong your definition of these people would be - someone who has been out of the scene for a long time and perhaps just wants to hear the same tunes they were dancing to 20-30 years ago

Not someone who wants some good music once in a while or come back full onto the scene - or may be not, as the second part of your statement refers to

I don't know how old you are or how long you have been on the NS scene and frankly - "I don't give a damn", but let me into how it feels to be one of the revival crowd (or returnee as I prefer to refer to us).

We've done our bit marrying the wrong men/women, bringing up kids, putting our careers first, all this rightly or wrongly, but for whatever reasons did not stay on the NS scene.

We come back to a scene that unfortunately has people in it like yourself (and your not the first person on this forum to make similar comments) bigoted superior minded and basically up your own a*se.

That over played top 500 you talk about - do you think us returnees want just to listen to what we were listening to at wigan in 73-74, no we also want to hear new discoveries but it does take time to catch up for 20 lost years, and some of this top 500 are like a comfort blanket to us until we catch up with the NOW!

Other threads have dealt with the concerns over the NS scene dying off well it's hardly going to survive if people like you don't make people like me welcome. I have always thought the more the merrier - obviously not in your opinion as were not good enough for the likes of you.

It is not only on this forum I have experienced this kind of superiority, was told not long ago, by a certain collector that I wouldn't enjoy a local event because they wouldn't be playing anything I knew - oh sorry am I only allowed to listen to what I listened to 30 years ago.

DJ's playing to DJs,

link

We get this all the time in the N East, whistling.gif We at East Coast Soul cater for all soul music tastes and all in one room at a great venue, Once known as "An Oldies Venue" at the Welly as its locally known, we now play an array of across the board sounds to heathy crowds of Returnees, diehard soulies, in fact all genres of people who have one thing in common, they all love soul music. As for people saying they prefer allnighters, some w/enders thats ok, so do I, but we have this once a month soul night that is well supported, with some top class dj's (Well known & local) IMO One room - One love - Soul Music, if you dont like that particular tune the dj is playing, chill, chat, there must be a few tunes played you like somtime in the evening, or maybe even dare to ask the guy on the decks to play the music you like, you maybe pleasently suprised. Dont knock the people for how they dress, if they prefer Epitome of sound to Ujima, House for Sale or House made of love just enjoy Soul as it is now "SOUL IS THE HUMANITY & EMOTION IN ALL OF US" to quote a good book :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes plenty.

I have been made welcome by the vast majority of people on this site (JT, Ken, BigO, Janine, Karneb etc etc………u know who u are..),– and to you people I say thank you and apologise in advance for what is to come!!!!

But that’s about as far as it goes

Handbaggers – now there’s a term, do I qualify, usually only attend about once a month but would go to an all nighter ?.

If I am not mistaken, and do please correct me if I’m wrong your definition of these people would be – someone who has been out of the scene for a long time and perhaps just wants to hear the same tunes they were dancing to 20-30 years ago

Not someone who wants some good music once in a while or come back full onto the scene – or may be not, as the second part of your statement refers to

I don’t know how old you are or how long you have been on the NS scene and frankly – “I don’t give a damn”, but let me into how it feels to be one of the revival crowd (or returnee as I prefer to refer to us).

We’ve done our bit marrying the wrong men/women, bringing up kids, putting our careers first, all this rightly or wrongly, but for whatever reasons did not stay on the NS scene.

That over played top 500 you talk about – do you think us returnees want just to listen to what we were listening to at wigan in 73-74, no we also want to hear new discoveries but it does take time to catch up for 20 lost years, and some of this top 500 are like a comfort blanket to us until we catch up with the NOW!

Other threads have dealt with the concerns over the NS scene dying off well it’s hardly going to survive if people like you don’t make people like me welcome. I have always thought the more the merrier – obviously not in your opinion as were not good enough for the likes of you.

It is not only on this forum I have experienced this kind of superiority, was told not long ago, by a certain collector that I wouldn’t enjoy a local event because they wouldn’t be playing anything I knew – oh sorry am I only allowed to listen to what I listened to 30 years ago.

I’ll sum up how the scene could come across to some people, people maybe visiting the SS for the first time

DJ’s playing to DJs,

“I’ll show you yours if you show me mine” syndrome

well maybe if it hadn’t been for some of us and some of that over played 500 you talk about in the early 70s there wouldn’t be a scene now.

PS the QOF signature is a piss take on myself and to all the mistakes I’ve made in my life over the past 47 year – If you can’t take the p*ss out of yourself then don’t do it to others.

link

Chrisseo, Brilliant post, and eloquently put.

Just Like to say, Steve isnt arogant, tho I can see why you might take offence from some of the words in his post.

He is vary passionate about Northern Soul, in many genres, and even puts on free nights in Manchester to spread the word. Maybe he could have phrased some of that a bit better.

I am a returnee, although I have been 'back' for 9 years. I can remember how I felt venturing into rather than passing doors that led to soul nights.

Yes we can be a bit snobby, but no more so than the regulars at Wigan, or Stafford, or the 100 club. Nowt has changed much, from when you stopped going I'd imagine. Apart from the fact that we can communicate with a hundred people at the same time, thru the power of the t'internet. And maybe what you read, isnt what we meant to put.

This forum compared to many other has far fewer people who are 'up their own arse'. The knowledge is fantastic, but look at how willing people are to share it, and when somebody asks a question, you will nearly always find someone willing to help. My knowledge ends somewhere near, where most people's on here begins, but it doesnt intimidate me. Maybe if you can get to one of the do's swarmed on by the RKDTHGFSAY or whatever they call themselves, and meet in person all these nutters, you'll realise what a laugh they are. I met Gaye, (all too briefly), Brett, Pikey, Pete-S, ChaoswomanUK, RB man and Rachel all for the first time at Prestatyn. And now I know what the nutters look like, I can laugh, and remember. Even if it isnt always a pretty sight.

Social source share

Yes too many soul nights,far far too many..But there are many handbaggers who don't go near all niters..The once  a month brigade...But each to there own...

link

I'm gonna stick up for Steve here because I think that some of you have got him completely wrong.

As he keeps saying thoughout the post, EACH TO THEIR OWN! He may not like this kind of event personally but he knows some people do. Steve has been on the scene for 25 years , and maybe because his circumstances differ to some of yours, he doesn't always want to go out and hear records he's heard thousands of times over the last 20 years. Perhaps when some of you returnees have been back for a couple of years you'll get sick of hearing the Northern Soul top 500 and change direction. But that's up to you.

I'm not sure I get you anyway? I could class myself as a returnee, having been on the scene on and off for 20 years, a bit Like Chrissieo-having been in crap relationships had children etc and only really dipped in and out from around 1992 - 2004 when I started going out again more regularly (but still sometimes only once a month or so..) . But I still avoid the Northern Soul nostalgia nights because I wanna hear something NEW. That's the whole point of music isn't it? Do chart music fans want to lsiten to the hits of 1994 for the rest of their lives? Probably not, so why should we (who, obviously have better taste because we like soul music to start with...) do similar?

And after you've finished dissing Steve, maybe you should meet him sometime, you wouldn't meet a nicer chap, more dedicated to this scene of ours than anybody else on this forum and not elitist in any way whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I'm gonna stick up for Steve here because I think that some of you have got him completely wrong. 

As he keeps saying thoughout the post, EACH TO THEIR OWN! He may not like this kind of event personally but he knows some people do.  Steve has been on the scene for 25 years , and maybe because his circumstances differ to some of yours,  he doesn't always want to go out and hear records he's heard thousands of times over the last 20 years. Perhaps when some of you returnees have been back for a couple of years you'll get sick of hearing the Northern Soul top 500 and change direction. But that's up to you.

I'm not sure I get you anyway? I could class myself as a returnee, having been on the scene on and off for 20 years, a bit Like Chrissieo-having been in crap relationships had children etc and only really dipped in and out from around 1992 - 2004 when I  started going out again more regularly  (but still sometimes only once a month or so..) . But I still avoid the Northern Soul nostalgia nights because I wanna hear something NEW. That's the whole point of music isn't it? Do chart music fans want to lsiten to the hits of 1994 for the rest of their lives? Probably not, so why should we (who, obviously have better taste because we like soul music to start with...) do similar? 

And after you've finished dissing Steve, maybe you should meet him sometime, you wouldn't meet a nicer chap, more dedicated to this scene of ours than anybody else on this forum and not elitist in any way thumbsup.gif

link

The Stephen M Cato Appreciation society meet regualrly at various locations in Manchester city centre , get yourself down there Reg and bring a bottle :lol::lol:

Ps I think what Reg meant to say was "stop dissing Steve flygirl"

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Yes plenty.

DJ's playing to DJs,

link

ChrissieO,

I would hope that even those that haven't met you, don't know you, and don't agree with you still welcome your input and indeed make you feel welcome on this forum.

I think most people on here are genuine and have a love of the music. I may be one of those people you think is up his own arse I may not be but I wouldn't presume to tell you what you are thinking and if I may say I think your extrapolation of Stevie's views from his few comments on this post are a little wide of the mark in my view.

I think the most interesting part of your post was your explanation of the QOF signiture. Not that it was needed as I for one saw it for what it was, but that you thought you needed to explain or justify it. Almost as if you felt that having 'queen of fools' in your signiture defined you as a person.

We all tend to disagree on particular sounds even when we broadly agree on the particular sub genre thats the scene we are on, hasn't it always been that way?

I hope that you do not take this reply as a personal dig at you it isn't. But then I don't think Stevie's post was either.

Having QOF in your signiture doesn't define you nor does Stevie's few ill chosen words define him, well not to me at least thumbsup.gif

Keep contributing your views are always passionate and thats good

Social source share

Not got time to read through everything on here as im working at the moment (shock horror!) but I wish there were nighters on a Friday!

Social source share

have read a bit more (at last) wouldnt it be great if instead of DISCO rooms as a second room we had an up front newies nighter with an oldies second room, then I would get to see all my mates in the same venues

Social source share

Not got time to read through everything on here as im working at the moment (shock horror!)  but I wish there were nighters on a Friday!

link

Hi Janine

I think there may well be one on Friday May 13th near London Bridge for Johnny Gamel's 40th at his club. Waiting for confirmation thumbsup.gif

Paul

SITC

Social source share

back to work as my boss might be on here watching me  :lol:

Hello Dave  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

link

thumbsup.gif Back to work NOW!

my thoughts on this (not work; but the SS ;-))

I have a 19" monitor :lol:

the 'Scene' weighs about 40g, it would be a lot lighter if there wasn't all the scooter ads in the back that are there now.

Nighters should be on a Friday; giving 2 days of recovery. After a Saturday nighter I dont go to bed until late Monday night. It should be Soul Law - as should each record dealer having a record player and a ticket system to view the dealers records one at a time (bit like the meat counter at the supermarket; and that is where i will end that similarity).

As for most people on the SS wanting something different; I think that is hard to gauge. I have DJ'd at plenty of 'local' soul nights and the majority go out for their once a month, or even longer, 'fix' and when I or others have played something 'new' the floor will clear; unless of course it is 'instant' (maybe giving rise to the popluraity of such things as 'party trime man'?), because of the infrequency of going to soul nites many of these people do not want to hear new stuff - they want to go dance to tunes they know; and good for them, it used to annoy me but I came to realisde that they are as an integral part of the soul scene as anyone else (and of course some of these may then move onto other things). Certainly not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

Which does mean two different scenes. One not better than the other; just different. It is all a matter of personal opinion (and though I prefer newies nights it is those nights where I can have a lugh weith friends that are the best as long as the music is good, new or old)

So lets just say everyone is right and no one is wrong; because i really have forgotten what this thread is all about now. Big group hug for everyone who goes to soul nites or niters; oldies or newies eh?! Gawd Bless us all.

I had more thoughts but have completely forgoten them now LOL

Edited by DaveAbbott
Social source share

Oh, ok. that is what the thread is about  :lol:

Please ignore my above bollox. and how many apples are there in a barrell of grapes. Its about 6'4" big.

link

It's not a load of bollox, Dave.....it makes the best points in the thread! thumbsup.gif

i.e.

I have DJ'd at plenty of 'local' soul nights and the majority go out for their once a month, or even longer, 'fix' and when I or others have played something 'new' the floor will clear; unless of course it is 'instant' (maybe giving rise to the popluraity of such things as 'party trime man'?), because of the infrequency of going to soul nites many of these people do not want to hear new stuff - they want to go dance to tunes they know; and good for them, it used to annoy me but I came to realisde that they are as an integral part of the soul scene as anyone else (and of course some of these may then move onto other things). Certainly not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Anyone who meets Stevie Cato, doesn't forget him.......and for all the RIGHT reasons. Period.

Brett

link

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Nighters should be on a Friday; giving 2 days of recovery. After a Saturday nighter I dont go to bed until late Monday night. It should be Soul Law - as should each record dealer having a record player and a ticket system to view the dealers records one at a time (bit like the meat counter at the supermarket; and that is where i will end that similarity).

Agreed

Social source share

How big is the N/Soul scene?

Assuming for now that we just count UK residents & work on the assumption that to be in it you've got to attend 1 N/Soul venue a month.

I was quoted a figure of 10,000. But I reckon thats a bit low.

Any answers?

link

While driving home from work, I was thinking about your initial question with regard to the population of UK northern scene (CD players has packed in).

Anyway, I estimate that approximately 0.023% of the UK population regularly attend northern nights.

Therefore, with a current UK population of approximately 59 million this would equate to approximately 13,570 active soul punters.

I derived this by extrapolating the ratio of the number of local people to the local population, who regularly attending nights here in the NE of Scotland, to the rest of the UK.

Anyway, looking at this statistically, if we assume a normal distribution and take 13,570 as the mean, a one standard deviation error would give a probability range of between 11,127 and 16,012.

So I agree that 10,000 is probably an underestimation.

However, this just a stab at it and could be complete bull.

God, I must be a right sad prick to try and work this out in my head!

Des :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hammy

While driving home from work, I was thinking about your initial question with regard to the population of UK northern scene (CD players has packed in). 

Anyway, I estimate that approximately 0.023% of the UK population regularly attend northern nights.

Therefore, with a current UK population of approximately 59 million this would equate to approximately 13,570 active soul punters.

I derived this by extrapolating the ratio of the number of local people to the local population, who regularly attending nights here in the NE of Scotland, to the rest of the UK.

Anyway, looking at this statistically, if we assume a normal distribution and take 13,570 as the mean, a one standard deviation error would give a probability range of between 11,127 and 16,012.

Des :lol:   :thumbsup:

link

Alright Des pal - great night last weekend ... really enjoyed it.

Anyways - I take issue with your analysis. That Tubbs counts at least double and add Richie Conn into the mix and yer figures are way oot men!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hammy

Social source share

Des :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

link

How are you with quadratic equations - don't answer that just trying to lighten the mood

QOF

Social source share

Anyways - I take issue with your analysis. That Tubbs counts at least double and add Richie Conn into the mix and yer figures are way oot men!

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Hammy

link

Yeah, you are probably right, I also forgot to factor in the beer affect, as you know I am mostly pissed at every soul night I have ever been too, so may have included a few pink elephants and some fluffy pigs.

As for quadratic equations, can only do them when I'm completely hammered.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Sometime I attempt to do them when I'm on the end of the wife as a staying tactic. Doesn't seem to work though.  It sure puts her in a mood! :thumbsup:

link

Are you sure. My other sometimes, partime, dropin from time to time man does them in the pub with his mate for fun - puts me off completely!

Social source share

Hi Janine

I think there may well be one on Friday May 13th near London Bridge for Johnny Gamel's 40th at his club. Waiting for confirmation :thumbsup:

Paul

SITC

link

That'll be same weekend as 100 Club? Two nighters in London same weekend??? Not very good planning IMO.

Social source share

Personally think nighters on a Friday have had their day. Apart from Wilton all the Friday ones I go to usually suffer poor attendances. Work(getting home etc and work on the Saturday), babysitters, good night the foillowing night, whatever, always seems to be one reason or another why??

Social source share

47 posts & one half decent stab at a reply!

I love you guys :thumbsup:

Seeing as you've all got your lateral thinking hats on - work this out.

6 million people in London - how come we can't get a second 'regular' all-niter up & running.

Personally I blame Londoners. I think London is too good for 'em :thumbsup:

Col.

Social source share

6 million people in London - how come we can't get a second 'regular' all-niter up & running.

Personally I blame Londoners. I think London is too good for 'em :thumbsup:

Col.

link

6 million Londoners!

If my calculations are correct this would indicate that there is between 1131.5 and 1628.5 Active Soulies in London.

This does not include the people who turn up now and again (non regulars). Ad hoc people would probably more than double this pool.

My question is who's the 0.5?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!