How Big Is The N/soul Scene?

do us a favour

check out this guys other threads first before using words like passionate

whining about price of records then trying to justify fact he's playing mp3s of a poxy laptop

link

Mike

I, like yourself and probably 95% of the people on the forum, am a purist but bringing the music to the attention of new people is important and if that's his way of doing it fair enough the people he introduces to the music may also become purists, and eventually vinyl junkies just like us.

When someone these days first gets into NS it's very unlikely that they will even have a deck so CD's and MP3 is the only way they can play the music, until they get hooked and fork out for decks and vinyl.

I have read Dave's other posts, re - cost of vinyl etc, and I can empathise, though do not necessarily agree, with some of the points made.

I am just "front room" DJ trying to replace the collection of about 600 7" I lost 30 years ago (not the same records of course) and have probably spent about £250+ in the last three months getting to the grand total of about 50 records.

I don't have a problem with the prices on the market at the moment - if I can't afford it I don't buy it, and am not envious of the people who can afford them in fact have respect for collectors who bring new discoveries to us and take the time and spend the money to do this.

Dave is a main stream soul/oldies DJ and although his personal preference is for NS, he needs to keep a far wider selection of sounds so as to please "his public" to be able to carry such a wide choice of music as well as NS would cost him a fortune and take a serious number of years to collect.

He does not profess that he is a NS DJ and does not pretend to be one but because his work is more mainstream doesn't make him one of the unwashed.

He is spreading the word, which was my main point - and that can only be good can't it?

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mike

I, like yourself and probably 95% of the people on the forum, am a purist but bringing the music to the attention of new people is important and if that's his way of doing it fair enough the people he introduces to the music may also become purists, and eventually vinyl junkies just like us. 

When someone these days first gets into NS it's very unlikely that they will even have a deck so CD's and MP3 is the only way they can play the music, until they get hooked and fork out for decks and vinyl.

I have read Dave's other posts, re - cost of vinyl etc, and I can empathise, though do not necessarily agree, with some of the points made. 

I am just "front room" DJ trying to replace the collection of about 600 7" I lost 30 years ago (not the same records of course) and have probably spent about £250+ in the last three months getting to the grand total of about 50 records. 

I don't have a problem with the prices on the market at the moment - if I can't afford it I don't buy it, and am not envious of the people who can afford them in fact have respect for collectors who bring new discoveries to us and take the time and spend the money to do this.

Dave is a main stream soul/oldies DJ and although his personal preference is for NS, he needs to keep a far wider selection of sounds so as to please "his public" to be able to carry such a wide choice of music as well as NS would cost him a fortune and take a serious number of years to collect. 

He does not profess that he is a NS DJ and does not pretend to be one but because his work is more mainstream doesn't make him one of the unwashed.

He is spreading the word, which was my main point - and that can only be good can't it?

link

did i forget to mention that in the 70's i had a roadshow called soularscope and all we played was NS and motown with a smattering of philly and stax/atlantic. I had a collection of 7"'rs that was superb many of which i still have and are stored at my parents as my work and lifestyle did not enable me to carry them around wherever i went. i have payed for tunes before now i recently paid pete mguiness of rhyl £40 for lovers concerto, also andy music i rip to cd or convert to mp3 i mainly do myself for my own benefit. it is easier and safer to carry cd's which can easily be replaced than have a treasured record destroyed or damaged by accident or mishandling. i buy vinyl quite avidly but i also like to be a little controversial, i have some great 'sue' label buys from a fair in blackpool for a grand total of about £25 for 12 or so records. some i liked others i didnt.

i look for collections for sale and if i can afford it i'll go look. i put my vinyl on cd to safeguard it , cd's can be thrown away or re burnt, vinyl cant.

i love the feel of a 7" or 12" record, one of my faves, which also my sig' tune was soular level, johnny almond music machine. check it out.

regards dave blush.gif

Social source share

did i forget to mention that in the 70's i had a roadshow called soularscope and all we played was NS and motown with a smattering of philly and stax/atlantic. I had a collection of 7"'rs that was superb many of which i still have and are stored at my parents as my work and lifestyle did not enable me to carry them around wherever i went. i have payed for tunes before now i recently paid pete mguiness of rhyl £40 for lovers concerto, also andy music i rip to cd or convert to mp3 i mainly do myself for my own benefit. it is easier and safer to carry cd's which can easily be replaced than have a treasured record destroyed or damaged by accident or mishandling. i buy vinyl quite avidly but i also like to be a little controversial, i have some great 'sue' label buys from a fair in blackpool for a grand total of about £25 for 12 or so records. some i liked others i didnt.

i look for collections for sale and if i can afford it i'll go look. i put my vinyl on cd to safeguard it , cd's can be thrown away or re burnt, vinyl cant.

i love the feel of a 7" or 12" record, one of my faves, which also my sig' tune was soular level, johnny almond music machine. check it out.

regards dave blush.gif

link

McGuiness still ripping you off then Dave - tee hee blush.gifblush.gif only joking

QOF

XX

Social source share

i still have and are stored at my parents as my work and lifestyle did not enable me to carry them around

That's probably what happened to my collection me dad sold em to you (are they all in schweppes crates) bin lookin for them for years blush.gif

Are your parents still at the same address and how good is their alarm system?? blush.gif

Must make sure me dads ladders are ok when next go home then!! blush.gif

QOF

XXX

Social source share

dave

did you used to have a different account on here?

link

no never been here before, only found it thru a link from another site

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!