How To Clean An Acetate

I've got an acetate that I'm going to list next time I put some stuff on eBay - a 70's pop one, not rare soul so no need to get excited :thumbsup:

Thing is it looks like it's 'gone off' - it's covered in white stuff that looks like mould. Doesn't affect the play surface but it sure looks ugly!

I'm aware that ispropyl is to be avoided but wondered if anyone has any tips on cleaning acetates safely.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've got an acetate that I'm going to list next time I put some stuff on eBay - a 70's pop one, not rare soul so no need to get excited :thumbsup:

Thing is it looks like it's 'gone off' - it's covered in white stuff that looks like mould. Doesn't affect the play surface but it sure looks ugly!

I'm aware that ispropyl is to be avoided but wondered if anyone has any tips on cleaning acetates safely.

Godz

link

I'd only risk washing up liquid and luke warm water, definatley nothing spirit based like isopropyl, meths etc.

Social source share

I'd only risk washing up liquid and luke warm water, definatley nothing spirit based like isopropyl, meths etc.

link

Cheers Hippo,

I actually have a bowl of warm water at the ready but was waiting in case anyone said "For God's sake no washing up liquid"

If no more suggestions in next 10 mins I'll give it a bash :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

link

I thought acetate was hydroscopic and would be ruined by water but look at this website and see paragraph 2 under the Cleaning section:

https://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/record.html

Lot of hassle for one acetate though, even if you can find all the ingredients. I have tried to get hold of the chemicals recommended but gave up and have gone back to proprietary mixes.

Social source share

I thought acetate was hydroscopic and would be ruined by water but look at this website and see paragraph 2 under the Cleaning section:

https://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/record.html

Lot of hassle for one acetate though, even if you can find all the ingredients.  I have tried to get hold of the chemicals recommended but gave up and have gone back to proprietary mixes.

link

Flippin 'eck!!!

Not sure if Anita Harris is worth the trouble :thumbsup:

Cheers for the info though - never get bored of stuff like that. Getting close to soap and water deadline I reckon...

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Flippin 'eck!!!

Cheers for the info though - never get bored of stuff like that. Getting close to soap and water deadline I reckon...

Godz

link

Rub a soapy cloth around the very edge /rim and see if anything nasty happens, I'm sure it won't!

Social source share

Rub a soapy cloth around the very edge /rim and see if anything nasty happens, I'm sure it won't!

link

Mrs G is NEVER gonna believe this is a discusion about records :thumbsup:

Just tried it though and it seems to have nicely spread the white stuff around more of the edge...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Flippin 'eck!!!

Godz

link

Anita Harris? Stick it in the dishwasher! You may want to check for the correct settings with Pete Smith. :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   swoon.gif   :shhh:   :lol:   :)   :huh:   :)  

Godz

link

It looks like your acetate has lost it's surface laquer and what's left is almost the same as a wax crayon which will smear with a white residule when wiped with a wet cloth. Essetially, it's knackered so leave it as is!

Social source share

It looks like your acetate has lost it's surface laquer and what's left is almost the same as a wax crayon which will smear with a white residule when wiped  with a wet cloth. Essetially, it's knackered so leave it as is!

link

Yes, that's exactly what just happened - the first bit that is, not the "leave it as is' bit. :thumbsup:

Well, that was fun. Now, where have I put those Bell Sound jobbies :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Has anyone forwarded this thread to Inga??

She was asking for suggestions on how to clean Johnny T's arseytate. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hammy

Did you hear the one about the rather prominent scene DJ who used the wrong cleaning fluid and wiped an acetate then phoned up the dealer he bought it from to complain there was nothing on it?

Or did I dream it.... sure someone told me this. It was fecking funny !

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Is everybody on here familiar with the Anita Harris "summer season" urban legend?

link

No, please tell all. Does it involve topless wrestling in Tate & Lyle golden syrup with Una Stubbs? I'd pay extra for that video.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Godz

link

As you're such a nice man, try this tip. White spirit applied with brillo pads and dried off with a quick 30 second blast in the microwave. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

it's covered in white stuff

link

Bet there's been a few lads on here been tempted to do that when they've landed one of their all time wants!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:biggrin.gif

Social source share

As you're such a nice man, try this tip. White spirit applied with brillo pads and dried off with a quick 30 second blast in the microwave. :thumbsup:

link

Cheers JT.

Just gave that a go but it's still the same. The feller who's mending the roof reckons we need a go with his blow torch.

I'll let you know...

Godz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!